Re: New look for Legolas's knives scabbards

[quote=""SauronTD""]Took them to a local leather shop and brought them home looking like this, LMK what you think![/quote]

I think.....I think, Sauron, that I'm not the only one that wants to know exactly what was done to those scabbards.

That is an absolutely amazing transformation. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

And we wants it for our White Knives scabbards too, yes we do.

So, 1) how was it done?

2) What is the name, address and phone number of the shop that did it?

3) Not to be too crass about it, how much did it set you back?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]I think.....I think, Sauron, that I'm not the only one that wants to know exactly what was done to those scabbards.

That is an absolutely amazing transformation. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

And we wants it for our White Knives scabbards too, yes we do.

So, 1) how was it done?

2) What is the name, address and phone number of the shop that did it?

3) Not to be too crass about it, how much did it set you back?[/quote]

1) They were dyed using spray on leather dye, used for covering up dark colors, its was done is several layers using 4 shades of white. Gives it a nice contrast when viewed up close.

2) I'll get the info and pm it to you

3) Only 25 bucks

[quote=""SauronTD""]1) They were dyed using spray on leather dye, used for covering up dark colors, its was done is several layers using 4 shades of white. Gives it a nice contrast when viewed up close.

2) I'll get the info and pm it to you

3) Only 25 bucks[/quote]

So did you pop off the hardware first? Or did the shop pop it off?

And who applied the gold filligree design on the white leather? You or the shop?

[quote=""Deimos""]So did you pop off the hardware first? Or did the shop pop it off?

And who applied the gold filligree design on the white leather? You or the shop?[/quote]
I did the gold, just some quick paint pen work, I gonna get some gold leafing material this weekend to e xp eriment with. We took the hardware off at the shop, it came off pretty easy and left almost no damage to the leather, not that it matters since it gets covered up. If anybody is intrested in having this done pm me and I will check with the shop to make sure they would want to some more.

I must be missing something.
The only photo I've got here is a .jpg in the OP and the scabbards look totally gray.
I'd like to see these as much as anyone, especially because others here whom I trust seem to be impressed.
Where is this clickable link you mentioned?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Well at least they look like they're supposed to now! Very cool indeed, yesss it is very nice. Sooo bright, sooo.....beautiful.

Alright maybe not that beautiful.

Could just be bad lighting, Thrand. Or could it be that you've done something totally more completely awesomish to your LFK Scabbards and you're just dying to tell us about it?
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Thranduil""]I must be missing something.
The only photo I've got here is a .jpg in the OP and the scabbards look totally gray.
I'd like to see these as much as anyone, especially because others here whom I trust seem to be impressed.
Where is this clickable link you mentioned?[/quote]

I think its because of the flash, need to see in natural light but they still look good.

[quote=""Thranduil""]I must be missing something.
Where is this clickable link you mentioned?[/quote]

You are right Thrandy, they do appear grey. But I don'trust colors on any monitors to be accurate.

That being said, I know from my own research on leatherwork sites that dyeing leather from darker to lighter can be iffy, in that it might not turn out to be quite the color one envisioned.

So I guess only Sauron TD can accurately answer this question:

Sauron, are the scabbards tend to be more white than grey, or more grey than white?

[quote=""Deimos""]You are right Thrandy, they do appear grey. But I don'trust colors on any monitors to be accurate.

That being said, I know from my own research on leatherwork sites that dyeing leather from darker to lighter can be iffy, in that it might not turn out to be quite the color one envisioned.

So I guess only Sauron TD can accurately answer this question:

Sauron, are the scabbards tend to be more white than grey, or more grey than white?[/quote]
They are very white, but not like pure white, more of a bone/ivory color. I'm gonna take some good pics of them tomorrow in better light.

[quote=""SauronTD""]They are very white, but not like pure white, more of a bone/ivory color. I'm gonna take some good pics of them tomorrow in better light.[/quote]

Oooooo, better and better.... :)

I think every one of us knows what 'bone/ ivory' white looks like.

Thrandy, Sauron's answer satisfies me to a T.

Now I just hope that leather shop is willing to do more than just one dye job....right now can't think of a better way to spend $25.

As far as the overall appearance is concerned they are far better than the dark brown.
The gold filligree looks great.
The gray appearance is what threw me off, so I was hoping there might be other shots available ( I got the impression from the first few posts that there was other shots or a link to more pics).
Can't wait to see the new photos. Natural light would probably help a lot since flashes can shine right through top coats and bounce back the under coating (which is probably what happened here).
Last edited by Thranduil on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Return to “Lord of the Rings Inspired Leatherworks”