Remembrance Day

Hello everyone.

While we have lots of fun on these forums, I think there is something that must be said.

It is November 11th, or will be shortly. I sincerely hope that everyone stops on the 11th hour of the 11th month and thinks about those lives that were given to ensure our freedoms. Many of us have not known war and others have. But we remember those who died and fought for our lives, to rid the world of oppressors. I cannot thank them enough and so I hope that you remember or think of their sacrifices. Please wear a poppy in their honour. Pick up a history book and learn about their sacrifices or ask a parent or veteran.

I will like to tell you a story, the story of my Grandpa. He has always been my hero and I will always remember him and honour him with great respect. His story is one of great triumphs and outstanding courage.

(This is the shortest version I know... i'm reading these from his journals.)
The story begins in Poland, near Warsaw. He grew up as a kid and attended a National college. He joined the cadets and graduated as a Sergeant Cadet. His education was cut short with the threats by German forces and he was posted near the German boarders in the communications division. He was given orders to move back and thats when all hell broke loose.

He joined up with the Polish Army but they were overwhelmed by tanks and they crossed into Hungary where they surrendered and the army was broken up. He was now the leader of over 100 men because the officers were taken away and he had the highest rank. Poland had now been over-run and he was staying in a Castle in Hungary.

And then the travelling began. And because there is just way to much to say, I'm going to list a number of places he travelled... in order.
Poland, Hungary, Yugoslavia... all the way down to Syria, Iraq, back into Syria, Israel, Egypt, ...fighting in the Battle of Tobruk, back to Egypt, then to Italy all the way up the boot. He receieved a metal from the Pope and fought many times there. It ended when he went to Britian and eventually came to Canada.

Thank you Aleksander Anthony Maciej (Czerneda). I know that story did not do him justice. But I felt like sharing his story, even if it is a shortened version.

Learn all that you can. Visit mueseums, talk to Veterans. As sad as it is, they will not be around foreverand we must remember their legacy... their courage and honour.

Thank you.
Valar morghulis

Re: Remembrance Day

And since everyone is sharing a story, here's mine. Or my accurately, my dad's. He was a soldier in the 106th Infantry Division of the US Army in World War II. He was captured by the Germans during the Battle of the Bulge in December, 1944, and spent the next six months in a Nazi prison camp. He was not necessarily poorly treated (it was a prisoner of war camp, not a concentration camp), tho rations were short and toward the end, they were starving to death. When I was little, my dad used to tell stories about eating grass because they were so hungry. By April of 1945, Germany was collapsing and he and his fellow prisoners were released.

The e xp erience took a toll on him emotionally as well as physically. He had nightmares about it, though how often, I don't know. I remember one story my mom told, of waking up in the middle of the night with my dad choking her in his sleep. He was dreaming that she was a German soldier. Fortunately she managed to wake him up! I didn't come along until decades later, but even when I was a teenager, he was still haunted by his e xp eriences. Suffice it to say, most guys who have a midlife crisis don't have as much reason to have one as my dad did.

Around the late 70s/early 80s, a local Ex-POW chapter formed, and he was active in that for years. As time as passed and his health has become poorer (and a lot of the other guys in the group have died), the organization has kind of faded away. But at least my dad is still hanging on. He just turned 82 (his birthday was Monday), and though his memory is pretty bad, every Veteran's Day (which is what we call November 11 in the US) and every Memorial Day, he goes to the service at the local cemetery. My biggest regret in this regard is that they didn't finish the World War II Memorial in Washington until my dad was too old to make a trip that far, or to get much out of it.

These are divisive times in the US. We're stuck in a war that most were not exactly thrilled about, but grudgingly supported, initially. Even now, when public sentiment no longer supports the war, we must remember those, living and dead, who put love of country ahead of personal interests and put their lives on the line to defend all we take for granted. Every facet of our lives--that we still speak English, not German or Russian; that we can go to the church of our choice (1500 denominations and counting!) or stay home; that we can criticize our own government and (thus far, anyway) not hear the door being broken down in the night--was bought and paid for by those in uniform.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I almost feel I shouldn't post here because I don't have any great stories to share... my Grandpa was in the Navy, but never really talks about it, so I have never known to what extent he saw War. More recently my cousin was in Iraq and his jeep got hit by an rpg. His superior was riding beside him and lost his legs, my cousin made it out luckier, all he lost was the hearing in his right ear and had minor burns.

I guess what I really wanted to say is this. Despite all the talking and jawing about the war in Iraq... should we be there, shouldn't we be there... whatever. People often get too wrapped up in politics and turn thier back on presidents, wars, and those involved... I just want to say Thank you. If you can, tell your loved ones who served thank you from a stranger... Tell them that everyone of us owes them for being involved in situations that most of us can't even imagine. We owe them for our freedom. Tell them thanks and that there are many of us out here who still care about what sacrifices they made, and that we will never forget!

It is a time to remember those that have served in your family, past and current. But do not limit yourself to just their actions, there are thousands and millions of causaulties and people who have served on both sides of the war that we need to remember. We may not know their names or ever met them, but that does not mean we should not remember them. This day, Remembrance day, Veterans day, is in remembrance of everyone on both sides.

I have heard people cursing the Germans for their actions in WW2 and I feel that they are... unknowledgeable about the situation. It was Hitler and his inner circle that caused the war. The citizens followed their leader like any country would do. And once all of the propaganda had spread... it became a machine. I just thought i'd point that out tell everyone that common misconception. And a further note on that... we are all the same. Humans. Colour, ethnicity, and sex. Discrimination is very much a problem in this world. Do not think differently or shun someone because they are different from you, because it is everyone else that defines you! You are who you are because of others.

Thanks for everyone who shared their stories with us. Continue to remember the fallen and those who pretected our freedoms. Do not limit yourthoughts to just November 11th, but to every day of the year.

Thanks.
Valar morghulis

Remembrance Day

I would just like to show my appreciation to all Veterans for their contribution to their countries and to the world. They have sacrificed their lives and watched their brother fall so that we may live.

I was listening to the CBC after the ceremony in Ottawa and a veteran was talking about not only what is happening today in the world, but also relating it back to The Great War and WW2. He said that there is a bond that is created by those who fight in a war. The friendships they make create a link that may never be broken. They will gladly shed blood for thier friends and they will lay down their life for them as well. This is a bond that can only be forged in battle and something that will never be broken.

Lest we forget.
Valar morghulis

Olorin wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:00 am Thanks to all who serve, and who have served!
Thank you ....*salutes*....moi has served...USN , 6 years ( and almost 4 decades ago)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Happy Remembrance Day, or Veterans' Day as it's called in the US. I'm afraid it's going to be a very gloomy one here in the Midwest: cold, windy, and snow up to three inches. Not a good day for any outdoor events, I'm afraid.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Thank you Olorin (I am a veteran) ....have to say that here in Phoenix metro it was a beautiful day for a parade ...or two... or three... or more; i.e. there were lots of parades in the different municiplalities . Clear, sunny and about 80 F, altho' a little bit breezy.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Announcements”