Re: Happy New Year!

Happy New Year's everyone. It happened to be a New Year's day when I joined UCForums, which has now been 10 YEARS. Wow... cannot believe its been that long. I have joined many forums throughout the years but none have I stuck with near this long! Especially becoming a moderator and co-owner. Couldn't do it without Val, Olorin and GW and of course our UC forums family. We may not be the biggest forum on the net, but we have a nice, cozy, friendly atmosphere here and I wouldn't change it.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Happy New Year, everybody! Where I am, the new year is already 13 minutes old, but johnny-come-latelys are still shooting guns and shooting off fireworks to welcome it. I guess not everybody has an "atomic wristwatch" like mine, LOL.

I wish everyone all the best for the new year, and in particular I hope it is a better year than 2016. A lot of dark and troubling things happened in 2016, and in particular the deaths of a lot of iconic celebrities was very depressing. Let's hope against hope that 2017 comes up roses.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

What I'm about to say has been said many times before, including by me, but is none the worse for wear.

I can't believe how fast this year went! Where did the time go?

Looking back on my year, there was one standout highlight, getting a new cat. Jasmine came home to live with me on January 5; thus, we're approaching our first anniversary. I had a visit from a very old friend in April, whom I had not seen in 25 years; that was also another highlight. I also had work done on my roof and my car, highlights I'd as soon forget. And just last week, the light portion of a very expensive ceiling fan conked out, and I'm either going to have to bypass it somehow, or get a new fan (and I don't want to do that, as there's nothing out there like the current one, style-wise). But, during the course of about five and a half weeks of vacation, which I'm currently nearing the end of, I did get a lot done around the house to improve my enjoyment of the house. So I suppose I might say that 2019 was like all other years: ups and downs.

And now we head into 2020. This is a presidential election year in the US, which is always vexing, and will only be more so due to the bitter partisanship the country has sunk into. I just have to try to tune out for the next 10 months, I suppose. In any event, I hope the year brings good things to us all, or at least not too many more bad things!

Happy New Year!

HAHA----Olorin you never fail to buoy my spirits (even if they are not down!) with your seasonal/holiday greetings (whatever the season or holiday).

So Happy New Year back at you , and also to all the other forum-ites (still love that word).
It's already 2020 for Idril and [maybe] am.dk

So....I learned to play pickleball this past summer (in 105 degree heat)....old person's sport, but I am of SS age now so I officially qualify as "old".
Demanding sport anyway, makes you move a lot...good thing the knees are still in good shape , and the eyes and hips...shoulders are so-so.
Like you, new roof on the house but it was due, overdue really (goodby $10K).
More woodworking classes on schedule for 2020.

Re your ceiling fan....is the light section not salvageable/repairable?
If you do not feel confident to "tear into it" do you not know any handy types where you are?
Light fixtures are seldom rocket science and even if yours is super "Auto this" and "auto -that" it might still be salvageable even if it has to be modified to work manually with a pull chain.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:08 pm So....I learned to play pickleball this past summer (in 105 degree heat)....old person's sport, but I am of SS age now so I officially qualify as "old".
I've never even heard of pickleball, but then I've never been into sports. In any event, 55 is not old!
Deimos wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:08 pm Re your ceiling fan....is the light section not salvageable/repairable?
If you do not feel confident to "tear into it" do you not know any handy types where you are?
Light fixtures are seldom rocket science and even if yours is super "Auto this" and "auto -that" it might still be salvageable even if it has to be modified to work manually with a pull chain.
It is super auto this/that but the biggest thing is I'd just have to run a new cord through it to get to the light unit, and I don't think the motor housing is openable.

@ Olorin
Ahhhhh.... you misread my age reference.....it is S.S....as in Social Security age which is NOT (I am sorry to say) 55....more like 62, the earliest age at which one can start taking benefits. I never heard of pickleball until a few years ago....beats shuffleboard seven ways from Sunday, tho'...

Too bad about the fan light....I guess it got old also....
Last edited by Deimos on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy 2020, everyone! :cheers:

Ironic that I too am ringing the new year with electrical problems, though mine seem minor compared to Olorin. Basically, the new LED spotlights on my Treebeard case refuse to come on. I've contacted the company (Moducase) and it is likely they will send me replacement lights, but in the meantime I'm buying a digital multimeter with a diode tester because I'm curious to know if the LEDs are actually ok and it's the connector box or power supply acting up.

I hate electrical problems. They're so much more mystifying over mechanical ones. :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

"If hitting it with a hammer doesn't fix it, it's an electrical problem." -- anon.

Jash wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:46 am Happy New Year!!
2020 will be known as the year of Guthwine ;)
Good luck with that Guthwine wish!
Happy New Year!

Batten down the hatches!
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Happy New Year one and all.... (as I type this ) still 6 hours to go until it's 2021 in Arizona.

Happy New Year, everyone! And may 2021 be better for us all than 2020 was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDjlrVTPPQI

BTW this is not meant to endorse a company or a dark lord. I saw this on TV recently and thought it was funny. Hopefully everyone can view it with the sense of humor in which it was made. I add this disclaimer because if you look at the comments after the video, you'll see that some people couldn't view it as a joke.

Thranduil wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:37 pm
Jash wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:46 am Happy New Year!!
2020 will be known as the year of Guthwine ;)
Good luck with that Guthwine wish!
Happy New Year!
Batten down the hatches!
Ahh... Mr. Thranduil was correct. I was wrong about 2020 being the year of Guthwine.... twice! lol.
Happy New Year everyone!!

@Olorin - That video is hilarious!! The only part I found offensive was attributing "The Road Not Taken" to Shakespeare....
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

@ Olorin
1) I am a Christian (Catholic, actually), and
2) that video was incredibly clever and well done...it captured of the all the most memorable(??!!!) things, flashpoints, events of 2020.

Yep. Happy New Year to all :big_wave: :cheers:

... And just a reminder: Two days hence is JRRT's Birthday so don't forget "The Toast" (lookin' at you, Olorin :club: )

Return to “Announcements”