Chatbox

Until further notice, I have disabled the chatbox. Its return will depend on the proof that our members can display to me that they have sufficient maturity to use it, something that has been rather lacking lately.

When that happens, I will re-enable it.

This matter is not up for debate.
This Space for Rent

Re: Chatbox

Ok folks, it is back... for now.

After discussing the issue, the staff here at UCForums has elected to allow the Chatbox function another chance.

Let me remind you all, in case it has been forgotten and also for the benefit of our newer posters, that the Chatbox is subject to each and every rule of conduct and behaviour listed here: http://www.ucforums.com/showthread.php? ... #post74663

Every member of this site should be familiar with these already, but if you are not, please read, and for those who may be a little rusty, give yourself a refresher.

A little bit of history:

Justin, the owner of this site, added the Chatbox function to this Forum in good faith, with the intention that it be used only for idle chit-chatter, quick hellos, one-off simple questions, and such. The Chatbox was/is not meant to replace serious discussions and comments that are more appropriately placed in the various sections of this Forum. This is a message board, first and foremost, not an instant message service. However, some folks just couldn't help themselves, and soon the 'light' nature of the Chatbox became a breeding ground for off-colour jokes, questionable comments, flame wars, and even links to highly innapropriate material. Those immature enough to behave this way felt that the temporary nature of the comments in Chatbox would make this ok as well allow them to cover their tracks. Well, they were wrong, and despite repeated warnings and a fair bit of leniency on our part, the decision was made to remove the Chatbox and stop the nonsense.

By request of some of our members, the Chatbox is back, but it is on a trial basis. Let me be very clear: myself and the other moderators will be paying very close attention to what goes on in there. If we find that things are returning to the old ways, those responsible will receive one and one warning only. If the behaviour persists, the person(s) in question will be banned from posting in the Chatbox. If further issues are created by said person(s) by pursuing the matter in the Forum itself, this will be followed by a ban from posting altogether.

I sincerely hope we can all have fun while still displaying the maturity that I know you are all capable of.
Last edited by Valkrist on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

Return to “Announcements”