Happy Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day in the US, a major holiday and the kickoff to the summer season. As we celebrate having a day off, let's pause to remember it's not all just about fun: http://www.lateenough.com/wp-content/up ... BBQDay.jpg

Today we remember our dead, both military and non-military, and what their lives have meant to our lives. Saturday my brother and I spent the morning placing flowers on the graves of departed family members, a long-standing tradition for many people. I have been doing that, or been along with my parents when they were doing it, for as long as I can remember. To me, it's one of the annual routines that define my year.

Today, some folks will go to military honors services at cemeteries, others will have a barbecue, and still others like me will just mow the lawn and then go to lunch. But however we spend the day, let's spend a moment remembering our departed.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Re: Happy Memorial Day

In prowling the forums cleaning things up a bit prior to our reopening, I ran across these old holiday threads. They bubbled up toward the top after I deleted a bunch of no-longer-relevant threads.

Anyway, Memorial Day weekend begins here in the US tomorrow. It's considered the start of the summer season: kids are out of school, people are taking vacations, and people have cookouts and enjoy the nice weather. Or not...it was cold and rainy here this week.

If you're traveling, like many people including me, safe travels! And since our new software supports mobile phones, keeping in touch with your favorite website while away is now easier than ever. Just don't read or post while driving!

Enjoy your time off if you have it, eat some barbecue, and take a moment to remember the honored dead.

Re Memorial Day...seen in passing: Home of the Free because of the Brave

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Happy Memorial Day, everyone! I just finished mowing my yard and am taking a few moments to rest and quit sweating before I take a shower. My yard was quite tall, due to all the rain we've had lately, so I'm pleased to report my new cordless electric mower handled it with aplomb.

More seriously, take a moment to reflect on your departed loved ones, military and civilian alike, and what their lives have meant to yours. I'd be nothing without my parents and the upbringing I had. My dad has been dead for 13 years and my mom for 26. Most of my aunts and uncles are dead now too, and even a few cousins. The list of graves that need flowers grows longer as the years pass. It's somewhat solemn but it helps connect us with old memories. And I hope the dead are pleased to be remembered.

Lovely tribute, Olorin.
Thank you for taking the time to post it.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Announcements”