Re: Happy Mardi Gras!

I saw something about it this morning but didn't have time to read it, but they were talking about it on NPR this evening. In the 1400s, an English woman was too caught up in making pancakes and lost track of the time until she heard the church bells ringing. She then ran out the door for church, carrying a skillet of pancakes. And thus Shrove Tuesday became known as Pancake Day in Britain and its later Commonwealth.

Or so the legend goes! While they were presenting the story, they were interviewing an MP who was participating in a pancake race.

I don't know; I love pancakes, but I think Cajun/Creole food and King Cakes are more fun and festive than pancakes. Pancakes are a lot easier to make, though! I made a King Cake last night and it took about 3.5 hours.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Olorin wrote:...I don't know; I love pancakes, but I think Cajun/Creole food and King Cakes are more fun and festive than pancakes. Pancakes are a lot easier to make, though! I made a King Cake last night and it took about 3.5 hours.

I didn't know anything about King Cakes (and I'm Catholic!) ...had to look it up.

So.....since there is an extremely wide variety of recipes for a King Cake --- depending not only on what country you are in, but the locale in a particular country --- what recipe did you use?
I am especially curious since it took 3.5 hours (!) to make.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

The king cakes from around here are a ring shaped cake... Sorta like a cinnamon roll to me, then covered with mardi gras colored icing and sugar. Lots of times you will find them filled with fruit filling, cream cheese, or chocolate.

Also, not as often now do to choking, but a little plastic baby is stuffed inside it. The person who gets the baby in their slice has to buy the next one.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Valkrist wrote:Is this king cake akin to the fruit cake? Because if so, I'm not a big fan. I remember something like that always being brought out around Christmas time when I was growing up and Portugal, and I was not a fan. :angry:
The recipes are all over the map (no pun intended :laugh: ).
Look it up on Wikipedia ... each country/ region does it differently.
(Maybe there is one recipe in there you would like :rolleye: .)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

By way of extra clarification on the name:

The "King" in question refers to the Magi, as Mardi Gras season officially kicks off right after Epiphany, the Feast of the Magi. As the cake traditionally includes a plastic baby representing Jesus, "King" may also refer to Jesus.

OK, traditionally the cake contained a bean, but in our modern plastic age it's been replaced by a tiny plastic baby.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Return to “Announcements”