Happy Labor Day!

Happy Labor Day to our US members! To those who don't know what it is, this is the day we honor the workforce that built our country and keeps it running. But like other summer holidays, it has sort of become National Barbecue Day. It's the ceremonial Last Day of Summer, though the calendar tells us that will be 22 September this year. In some places, kids will go back to school tomorrow after a long summer break (though we always went back in late August).

For me, it's an extra day to get things done around the house, since I was out of town earlier in the weekend. I'm going to sit down and go through my papers, get the junk mail shredded, and my finance program updated. I'll put the flag out. And the big chore for the day will be to put away the summer décor and put up the autumn décor. For some people, today will be the beginning of pumpkin spice latte season. I've never had one myself, as they are loaded with sugar and probably not vegan. But I certainly enjoy the transitioning of seasons, especially the cooling temperatures. I'm a light-jacket-weather kind of guy.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Re: Happy Labor Day!

Olorin wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:07 am Happy Labor Day to our US members! To those who don't know what it is, this is the day we honor the workforce that built our country and keeps it running. But like other summer holidays, it has sort of become National Barbecue Day. It's the ceremonial Last Day of Summer, though the calendar tells us that will be 22 September this year. In some places, kids will go back to school tomorrow after a long summer break (though we always went back in late August).

For me, it's an extra day to get things done around the house, since I was out of town earlier in the weekend. I'm going to sit down and go through my papers, get the junk mail shredded, and my finance program updated. I'll put the flag out. And the big chore for the day will be to put away the summer décor and put up the autumn décor. For some people, today will be the beginning of pumpkin spice latte season. I've never had one myself, as they are loaded with sugar and probably not vegan. But I certainly enjoy the transitioning of seasons, especially the cooling temperatures. I'm a light-jacket-weather kind of guy.
So what is (was) your summer decor and what constitutes autumn decor?
It is 96F here at the moment ... and that is below average for Phoenix metro this time of year...average temps are in the low 100s e.g. 102 or so.
And we will have triple digits on and off throughout September, altho' nighttime temps will start falling . Even in October we may get an occassional 100+ degree day.
But October (in the low deserts of the southwest) is the beginning the best time of year; October though April when the weather is [usually] glorious: high 40's at night, 70s during the day and more sun than clouds (or rain) ....yessssssssssssssssss!

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:37 am So what is (was) your summer decor and what constitutes autumn decor?
It is 96F here at the moment ... and that is below average for Phoenix metro this time of year...average temps are in the low 100s e.g. 102 or so.
And we will have triple digits on and off throughout September, altho' nighttime temps will start falling . Even in October we may get an occassional 100+ degree day.
But October (in the low deserts of the southwest) is the beginning the best time of year; October though April when the weather is [usually] glorious: high 40's at night, 70s during the day and more sun than clouds (or rain) ....yessssssssssssssssss!
My seasonal décor (all seasons) consists primarily of garlands and wreaths. I decorate the most for fall and winter. For fall, in addition to garlands and wreaths, there are also quite a few pumpkins and other tokens of the season.

96° is weather I do not care for. I assume you're 96° is less humid than mine, but still....

Valkrist wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:25 am Happy Labour Day to all!

Unlike Thanksgiving, ours in on the same day as you guys. :coolsmile
I'm trying to remember if I forgot you had a Labor Day and it was the same day as ours, or if I forgot. In either event, Happy Labor Day!

Olorin wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:26 pm ...My seasonal décor (all seasons) consists primarily of garlands and wreaths. I decorate the most for fall and winter. For fall, in addition to garlands and wreaths, there are also quite a few pumpkins and other tokens of the season.

96° is weather I do not care for. I assume you're 96° is less humid than mine, but still....
Decor sounds lovely.... I need to do something like that.....

Yes, our RH (July-Sept...our monsoon "rainy " season) run runs about 40%... dew point is 55-65deg (blech!)
But winter the RH is less than 10%.
And I'll take our blast furnace summers over your winters any day. I was born in St Louis and lived there until I left home at 19, so I am familiar with your climate .
So to paraphrase Bilbo : "No, thank you! We don't want any more ice storms, sub-zero wind chill or shoveling snow from driveways!"
If I want snow, I drive 3 hours to the mountains and walk in snow. And when I get tired of it, I leave and drive back to Phoenix. :thumbs_up

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Announcements”