New Lothlorien Bow !!!!!

Hello Valued Customers!

I have been notified by Master Cutlery that they are making the Lothlorien Bow!
I have the flyer shown as a link below. Our price will be $239.00 + shipping. Shipping will be difficult to determine because we do not know the size of the box.

AT THIS TIME, WE ARE NOT PREORDERING THIS ITEM!

We would like to know who is interested in this piece and, when it becomes available for preorder, please send me an email to [url=mailto:sales@smithblades.com]sales@smithblades.com[/url]. I will notify you of when we will be preordering this item. It appears that it will be soon. I do not like to preorder items until I am relatively certain that you will receive it in about 30 days.

http://www.smithblades.com/images/lothlorienBowMC.JPG
Last edited by SmithBlades.com on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Smith
SmithBlades.com
http://www.SmithBlades.com

Re: New Lothlorien Bow !!!!!

[quote=""Arwyniel""]It looks just like the one from Hollywood Collectibles Group.[/quote]

That's because it is.

The main difference is that the HCG version is limited to 500 pieces because it comes with the two arrow heads. This is the 'unlimited' version that all other retailers are offering.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]That's because it is.

The main difference is that the HCG version is limited to 500 pieces because it comes with the two arrow heads. This is the 'unlimited' version that all other retailers are offering.[/quote]

ahhhhh. That makes sense. I like the price of SmithBlades, but I preordered the limited one from HCG.

Sorry, I had no business being at work at 4am this morning making posts (especially when I went to bed at midnight). I should have reread it :) .

What I meant is, you are getting the 2 arrows extra (if purchasing from HCG which owns the rights for the bow probably). There is no 'limited' edition number that I am aware of. If this is the case, everyone has to determine if the arrows are worth the additional cost.
Derek Smith
SmithBlades.com

Excellent news!

Master Cutlery has told me that the Lothlorien Bow will be available by the end of this month! If you are interested in preordering from the first batch of the bows (not alot are coming) please let me know. I will be charging $50 for shipping but reimbursing unused shipping if there is a large difference. If you are international, you will have to wait. I am e xp ecting it to cost a minimum of $200 to ship outside of North America.
Derek Smith
SmithBlades.com

It is produced by Hollywood Collectibles Group. It is being marketed by Master Cutlery, as well as others. For pics and detailed info, here is the HCG link:

http://www.hollywood-collectibles.com/l ... rings.html

You can never go wrong with getting your items from Derek at SmithBlades.com. He'll treat you right.
Last edited by Steel Servant on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

[quote=""SmithBlades.com""]Sorry, I had no business being at work at 4am this morning making posts (especially when I went to bed at midnight). I should have reread it :) .

What I meant is, you are getting the 2 arrows extra (if purchasing from HCG which owns the rights for the bow probably). There is no 'limited' edition number that I am aware of. If this is the case, everyone has to determine if the arrows are worth the additional cost.[/quote]

it is a limited edition...it specifically says "striclty limited to 500 pieces worldwide"

the one without the arrows is not limited.

I wonder if limited means numbered as well.... If so, then it would be cool to have one of the LE bows.... However if it is not numbered and the only true difference is the inclusion of the two arrowheads... It may be worth saving $60. I may have to call or email HGC and ask.

At any rate... Excellent price Derek... This is gonna be a tough call.

Hey all,

Got my email back from HGC... sounds like the LE's will be numbered on the plaque itself... no certificate... and not functional (hey, I had to ask, lol)

My original question:

"Question on Legolas' bow... It's limited edition of 500 but is it also numbered, if so, is it via certificate, or will the plaque itself be numbered? Is it 'working'/functional?

Answer (per Colin Bowman):

The plaque is numbered, no certificate, it is non-functional

I pre-ordered this from HCG when it was FIRST posted on their site (months ago). I ordered the limited version and opted for the 6-payment plan @ $50/month. I had to cancel due to some une xp ected medical bills but was beginning to wonder why it had not shipped yet. It's good to hear that it will finally be distributed! Congrats to all who are getting it! :thumbs_up

Now where did I put that lottery ticket for tonight's drawing.....

OK here is my newest e-mail from HCG

"So i was curious, i heard a rumor from a dealer that the bows will
be shipping this month...is this true?

Is there a shipping date? are there any updates about the progress
of these bows?

Thanks!"

And the reply
"Hello,

Thank you for your email! There is truth to the rumor! These will be
reaching the warehouse and shipping to customers and dealers this
month. At the moment there is no exact date as this is determined the
week of delivery.

Have a great day!"

Even the real prop bow was not functional, so no surprise there. I'll wait for someone to post actual pix before I order one though. I don't have much faith in HCG or Master after seeing their Terminator, Hellboy and Rambo products. Very cheap.

Hopefully it will be up to snuff. Odd that they did not include a complete arrow. Maybe WB did not want any chance of someone firing this.

[quote=""Domenicnas""]Chances are they were worried that someone would try to fire it anyway.[/quote]

Like no one ever would? Trust me, it could potentially save them from losing everything they'd ever make due to law suits. I guarantee you somebody out there will still go to Wal-Mart, buy a couple of arrows and start shooting at trees, beer cans, milk cartons, the neighbor's dog..... :D

Something to bear in mind here is that HGC doesn't appear to be the manufacturer for any of these items. What that means is that different companies are sub-contracted to make these things, and HGC handles the marketing, sales, and licenses. Therefore, the quality of a Terminator bust being bad, for example, does not automatically mean the Lorien bow will be bad because they are two completely different types of items, and thus manufactured by different places.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""MorgulMike""]Amen to that brother! :thumbs_up [/quote]
I'm waiting (hoping) for some great pix of this bow so I can decide if I want to make this design or the one that's in that Haldir's sword photo in another thread that someone mentioned looked a lot like a HEWS grip.
I want mine work for the sake of authenticity as well as the the fact that people will naturally be wanting to draw the bow when they check it out. Some how I think there will be at least one of these bows that will end up broken because some friend unwittingly does just that.
I can't bring myself to buy the helms and shields because their resin.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

"Overseas" meaning China.

Master has always been known as the biggest China/cheap knockoff company in the knife world. They have knocked off just about everyone and everything everyone else has done. I made the mistake of buying some of their stuff over the years, regretted it, then a few years would go by and I would think things had changed and buy from them again, and get burned again. When UC went down a few years ago Master swooped in and grabbed some of UC's old licenses. I assumed they were trying to take UC's place. That's when they hooked up with HCG, or that's when I started to see them selling stuff branded HGC. I may be wrong, but I assume Master is making all this stuff or sourcing for HGC since they seem to have a partnership.

I have seen the Eragon, new Rambo knives, Termy, and Hellboy stuff in person. It all seems to be of the same old Master quality. The Terminator knives were just awful. The Hellboy swords were not terrible, but they were finished cheaply. Stands look like crap. It's like they don't go the extra step to complete something and just rush it out the door. Did anyone see the Eragon swords? The ones I picked up rattled and the blades were spray painted.

I REALLY hope the bow is not that bad, because I want one, but I'll wait for someone here to get one first. I'm assuming it is some type of resin or hard rubber. It must have something steel or hard inside since they have strung it, though there is likely not much tension to the string.

Thranduil, how would you make one of these? Carve it?
Last edited by Domenicnas on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

I'm glad I canceled my order months ago! For $300 (the price of the Ex), I could buy a number of things that I CAN trust the quality of.

There's the old saying that "you get what you pay for" but imagine paying the prices I've seen discussed here and getting something you usually wouldn't give $25 for!

Honestly, I don't think it's going to be THAT bad. Let's remember this is a display piece. UC put out a lot of stuff for half that price that was very good quality. I know price is not a measure of quality, but as long as you approach this with reasonable and realistic e xp ectations, I doubt we will be disappointed.

Yes, I do hope to not have to eat my words later, but I'm not letting your pessimism bring me down or make me rush to cancel my order. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

To all you LOTR bow collectors bear in mind that if you buy or make a "fully fuctional" bow it has to be stored UNstrung, or it won't be fully functional for long --it will be just a highly attractively embellished bowed stick, suitable only for a wallhanger. Don't take my word for it...go to any legitimate archery site where they tell you how to properly store a bow.

So for the Loth bow collectors who are discussing the current offering out there, you don't have to be concerned becuase it's a nonfunc. bow to begin with.

Someone here posted a picture of their display and they showed the Mirkwood bow over a window witha couple of arrows.
If I remember correctly the OL Bow of Mirkwood (out of Italy?) was described as fully functional, and you could even specify draw weight.
If that bow over the window was the OL Mirkwood bow the owner may want to think about unstringing it --unless he never intends to shoot it.

Thranduil, if you make a fully funtional one, you may have to alter how you originally planned to display it.
And something else you mentioned about friends possibly wanting to pull back on the string.
That's OK but warn them against releasing the string. "Dry firing" a bow can damage the bow and possibly cause injury.

I just bought a fully functional Reflex-Deflex (R-D) hickory bow (45-28). It's unfinished and I am finishing it to look like the Mirkwood bow, except it doesn't have quite the recurve tips.
It will definitely get use as a real bow both for hunting and target shooting. (It's real description is a Hog Hunter short bow.)
But I do intend to display it with my LOTR stuff and it will have functional arrows (which I will use) that look exactly like Lego's Mirkwood arrows.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

If it's NON FUNCTIONAL-- meaning you are not supposed to even pull back on the string, much less nock and arrow and fire it -- then you can display it strung.
Because, yes, what you have is, in fact, a decoratively "carved stick."

And btw, if one or one's friends does indeed try to treat a NF bow as a functional one, well, as Valkrist and others have said, I hope you have medical coverage for yourself, and adequate homowner's liability coverage in case someone else tries it.

However, if you acquire a fully functional bow, and you intend for it to remain fully functional, then yes, you should unstring it.
As I said, don't take my word for it, go to any archery website.
Better yet, just google it under something like, "How to store a bow."

well, all i have to say is i have COMPLETE faith in this replica and will NOT be cancelling my order! i dont believe that a bow that has been waiting for someone to replicate it for so long would end up being a waste of money...or a cheap, knock off looking replica.

resin, wood, rubber, whatever, i think it is going to look amazing! as long as it looks just like Orlando Bloom's bow, i am happy! and all i have to say about the friend issue is, if you allow people to handle your collection pieces like that than you deserve to have that bow broken, and also if you have a friend that is a complete dumb a$$ then dont let him/her near it! hahaha

***i didnt not mean "you" as in you members discussing this i just meant it as "a person"*** HAHA

oh and one other thing, since a lot of people arent too happy about it being non functional, is there a reason you want it functional??? do you plan to shoot it? the whole reason i never bought the mirkwood bow is because it WAS functional...and i knew it would have to be displayed un-strung, and the main thing i like abut the bows are their curves...which are not to noticable when not strung..... know what i mean?

[quote=""Valkrist""]Honestly, I don't think it's going to be THAT bad. Let's remember this is a display piece. UC put out a lot of stuff for half that price that was very good quality. I know price is not a measure of quality, but as long as you approach this with reasonable and realistic e xp ectations, I doubt we will be disappointed.

Yes, I do hope to not have to eat my words later, but I'm not letting your pessimism bring me down or make me rush to cancel my order. :thumbs_up [/quote]

Nobody on here has urged anybody to cancel their order. (I canceled mine when I found out that I had cancer; I had too many other things to spend $300 on.) If the name associated with an item is a company that has been involved with low-quality products in the past, e xp erience has taught me to be "guarded", a very different thing than "pessimistic". I hope it turns out to be a fantastic piece that anybody would be proud to display. If it isn't, I'll feel just as bad as somebody who did buy it because something like that affects the faith of collectors in future products.

There's no doubt that if you leave a bow strung it will "relax" and lose it's spring. My thoughts are leaning toward real wood instead of simulated painted wood, real metal instead of metal paint and or electroplated metal on resin (HEWS grip).
I'm not overly concerned with someone pulling it back because it isn't breakable resin and that's pretty much my point. Firing it isn't in mind.
I'm thinking along the lines of someone taking it upon themselves to take it off the wall without my knowledge (not in the room at the time) and pulling it back. The resin one will break, mine won't.
It will be stored strung, will it lose it's spring? Probably, but it will still be pull-able.
No, I am not going to carve it, I'll do a laminated bend. I could spend months working full time on all the things I want to make and I don't have "full time" available, so don't hold your breath waiting for it. lol.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Deimos""]

However, if you acquire a fully functional bow, and you intend for it to remain fully functional, then yes, you should unstring it.
As I said, don't take my word for it, go to any archery website.
Better yet, just google it under something like, "How to store a bow."[/quote]

What I am asking is if you have a functional bow that happened to look exactly like Legolas' would you store it strung or unstrung? I understand it should be stored unstrung but would you display a carved straight stick?

I personally stopped buying LOTR swords because I learned too much about metal from a knife maker. 420 J2 is mid-grade brittle steal and we are paying pretty good money for these swords. If this bow is made of resin? Heck no for me. I am buying fully functional swords of high carbon for around the same price and whenever I get a bow it will be made of wood.

No I dont intend on chopping anyone to bits but its nice to take my functional sword off the wall and swing it around outside. Hey my forearm has been getting quite the workout lately with all my stabbing exercises. As Thranduil said he just doesnt want this bow that he may pay $300+ for to break by doing what the object is meant to do, pulled back.
Last edited by RevAnakin on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rev,

I guess it depends on what you mean by "functional".
If you store a functional bow strung it will eventually lose some of its spring as Thranduil says.
It will be less efficient, less accurate.
Could you still take it out and shoot something? Yes. It will still "function". It just won't do it very well.

I mentioned having a bow made (Reflex-deflex, hickory/hickory laminate), which I will finish to look like the Mirkwood bow.
I fully intend to use it for hunting, for target shooting and for SCA re-enactments.

Will I store mine unstrung? Absolutely.
I'm not shelling out $200+ for a bow (and also spent time and money finishing it) and then ruin it by storing it incorrectly.

I already know where and how I will hang it amidst the Lego part of my LOTR collection, along with the Mirkwood arrows (being made right now—functional).
And the Mirkwood quiver I am making (also functional, which will also have the [removeable] options for carrying the knives and the bow).
And the whole display is going to look very, very, good (even with the bow unstrung :thumbs_up )

[quote=""Deimos""]
I guess it depends on what you mean by "functional".
If you store a functional bow strung it will eventually lose some of its spring as Thranduil says.
It will be less efficient, less accurate.
Could you still take it out and shoot something? Yes. It will still "function". It just won't do it very well.
[/quote]

I understand what will happen when it is stored strung. But you did answer my question, the bow will be displayed unstrung as a straight piece of wood. That would be what I would do but just making sure that you would do the same. Anyways, as you said, why spend all that money on a bow and mess it up? My question is why spend even more money on an nonfunctional bow? Hmm.

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”