New Licensed "Robin Hood" Sword Now Pre-ordering

Museum Replicas is now pre-ordering the new licensed "Robin Hood" sword. They show an e xp ected ship date of May 2010. The video says it is 1075 carbon steel, and of couse, is being made by Windlass.

Very interesting:
http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1254-sw ... -hood.aspx
Last edited by Steel Servant on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Re: New Licensed "Robin Hood" Sword Now Pre-ordering

I like it overall, although I'm not too excited about the stones on the grip. I can think of better places than on the grip. I think a nice inlay in the wood would have been nice. It's definatelty a "fancy" blade, but it does have a nice hand-made look to it. I may have to think about this one. Lets see, a new sword or new sod for the front yard.....hmmmmm????
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

[quote=""Steel Servant""] I may have to think about this one. Lets see, a new sword or new sod for the front yard.....hmmmmm????[/quote]

Steel, how can you even waver about it?
Go for the MC Sod!
Sooner than you think it will be ultra scarce and the price on ebay will be out of sight!

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]Steel, how can you even waver about it?
Go for the MC Sod!
Sooner than you think it will be ultra scarce and the price on ebay will be out of sight![/quote]

AAAAhhhh, how true.

Thinking back over the years, I am amazed at some of the things I have blown off or put on the back burner to spend the money instead on a sword. People who are not into swords would never understand. I hate to use the word, but it is an obsession. Do they have a program for this at the Betty Ford Clinic?

Eggs-actly. It's a passion, not an obsession. Everyone is passionate or interested in something to some degree. Some people like wasting all their money on booze for a brief time of "fun" that they won't remember 24 hrs later. I can think of far more ridiculous things to spend money on than swords. In fact, the most important I can think of is whatever makes us happy... life should be enjoyed.
-_-

By the way, when did you add that Thulsa Doom quote to your sig?

Oh and on the topic of the sword itself, the stones don't bother me at all. Makes it unique. And I love the quote on the grip (they could have easily ruined the blade with that). Am I the only one completely turned off by the pommel? YAWN. Some slight geometric changes and that would work. But I like the blue stones. Gives it a unique color palette.
-_-

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I like it. The stones are alright, but I think it just looks to un-robinhood-ish. That's just me though.[/quote]

Not just you. I think it's a pretty nice looking sword. Stones are a bit over-the-top, but not a deal-breaker--I could live with it.

But "un-robinhood-ish" nails it exactly. VERY "un-robinhood-ish".

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbs_up

Out of curiosity, what would strike you guys as "Robin Hoodish"? I've been reading the IMDB page for the film lately (something I'm better off not doing) and have heard some insane stuff. I just wrote a research paper on Robin Hood in traditional literature (as an antihero, but I discussed his origins and plausibility in history a bit) so I'm interested to know what views people have on the story. It's certainly apparent that this film is stepping on toes of those past impressions but I'd like to know where those impressions come from.

And I highly doubt it's rat-tail. Windlass generally makes their blades somewhat functional. I'm willing to bet this is at least as good as their usual stuff (like the Kingdom of Heaven line) if not better.
-_-

I think the sword looks quite noble and...Er...Something that a noble would own.

And at least from that one Robin Hood film I watched with Errol Flynn in it (goodness gracious, I've gotta read up on Robin Hood a lot more), he was a noble and a knight before he got his estate seized by Richard's brother, so I find it completely plausible that he'd have a more ornate sword. At least based on that one Errol Flynn film.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""Sedhal""]Out of curiosity, what would strike you guys as "Robin Hoodish"? It's certainly apparent that this film is stepping on toes of those past impressions but I'd like to know where those impressions come from.[/quote]

[quote=""Jamanticus""]...at least from that one Robin Hood film I watched with Errol Flynn in it... he was a noble and a knight before he got his estate seized by Richard's brother, so I find it completely plausible that he'd have a more ornate sword..[/quote]

Almost my entire picture of Robin Hood comes from Juvenile lit – I’m even vague on the Errol Flynn movie.

It may not be historically accurate, and likely isn’t, judging by what Jamanticus and Sedhal have said.
But that is the only Robin Hood I have e xp erienced.

And if he had a sword in those stories, --which I can’t recall one way or the other-- it was likely a plain sword, because the stories emphasized RH the archer.
And a sword wasn’t shown, at least not obviously, in any of the stories’ illustrations.

There was a BBC series –I think it was BBC—that was called Robin of Sherwood. I never watched it.
If anyone followed the series, how was Robin Hood portrayed in it, and did he carry a sword, ornate or otherwise?

He was an archer, yes, but a sword would be an essential tool back then for someone in his position. I read a few stories that had him using a sword, including Pyle's well-known Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (which I'm assuming wasn't very plain, as the characters show recognition that it is indeed Robin Hood's sword -- so it sets itself apart from the rest somehow), and a more recent children's picture book as well. Considering his origins in Ivanhoe, and the crusades, one would assume he was trained in swordfighting and carried one as well. And in the earliest ballads he and his men were depicted being very skillful with swords too. Besides, that bow only does you so good when the battle heats up. And that's not to mention the swords in both recent Robin Hood movies being passed down from his father (I'm assuming in this one, too) or some other source. It's a symbol of his noble heritage.
Last edited by Sedhal on Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
-_-

Museum Replicas has now listed more items in their "Robin Hood" line. Most are clothing, but they now have the scabbard, belt, pouch combo you see in the video:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1296-ro ... pouch.aspx

That is a good looking scabbard, but they are asking as much for it as the sword. $245.00!! DAMN! :embarasse

Actually, it is an awesome looking set up.
Last edited by Steel Servant on Sun May 02, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Steel Servant""]Museum Replicas has now listed more items in their "Robin Hood" line. Most are clothing, but they now have the scabbard, belt, pouch combo you see in the video:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1296-ro ... pouch.aspx

That is a good looking scabbard, but they are asking as much for it as the sword. $245.00!! DAMN! :embarasse

Actually, it is an awesome looking set up.[/quote]
Wow, that IS an awesome-looking setup.

I'm not surprised it's as much as the sword ;)

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

now back,to robin hood.
i dont now if he is a farrytale,ore a legend.?

but the high light of robin of sheerlok.is the acher combotision.
where robin sends an arrow in the prerfect middle ,and then send a new arrow ,in the same perfect spot,whits cleaves the firt arrow in the middle.

an acher he is ,but a swordfighter i dont now,
to get that soveled i thingk we need to dig further into the histoy of robin of sheerlok . :huh:

sherwood* :) Sherlock is that detective guy. Unless you mean Locksley.

Robin Hood was indeed a swordfighter, as well. And I think he would be classified as a legend, yes.

But think about it. A man has his entire life to do many things. It's not like people can only be known for one thing without capacity for anything more. It's like saying Zorro can't ride a horse because he already swordfights. :P
-_-

Alright, so I saw the movie last night. It was very good.

***Spoilers***

But the reason Robin Hood's sword looks so knightly is because in the movie it wasn't originally his. It was a knight's, Sir Robert somethingorother, I can't remember his last name. Robin was an archer in King Richard's army and they were returning from the crusade. They were In france and Richard is killed so some of the knights were taking the crown back to England. Anyhow, Robin finds him ambushed and he promises to take the sword back to this night's father in Nottingham. Sir Robert dies, and Robin and his buds put on the dead knights armor, sail to England, give the Crown to John, and head for Nottingham. When he gives the sword back, the Knight's father, who is the Baron of Nottingham, asks Robin to pretend to be his son so that he has an heir. We also learn later that the Baron knew Robin's father (who is long dead), so that was another reason for asking him to stay. Marian was Sir Robert's wife, so eventually she falls in love with Robin etc etc. To make a long story short, the sword Robin uses looks knightly because it belonged to a knight who he was impersonating. He keeps England from erupting into civil war, unites the armies and they all go and crush the French on the Beaches of the English Channel. Then King John refuses to sign the charter to give them rights, Robin is called an outlaw, he and his buds and Marian hide in Sherwood Forest, and the legend begins. Sequel, anyone?
Last edited by Thorin on Sun May 16, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Just got a chance to see this version of Robin Hood; best ever IMO. A bit on the dramatic side, and perhaps that's why it didn't do all that well at box office, but nonetheless a great flick.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

If you like it...best thing to do is to buy the sword now (well, at a good price); and wait to buy the scabbard later. From my e xp erience with the KOH line - MRL does make a lot fewer scabbards than swords...but generally most people don't buy the scabbards. So what MRL had to do was clear out the scabbards whenever they were piling up. I managed to pick up the sword AND scabbard of Odo for $200, and the scabbard of Saladin for $50... :)

I'm not a huge scabbard guy - but i still believe it does complete the sword. That being said, i will never pay more for my scabbard than for the sword...that might just be me though...lol
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Meh... Although the movie was entertaining enough for a wednesday night watch, it was totally off historically. I'd rather shove that sword up someones dark smelly place than actually own one myself.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Darlak, claiming that movie was not historically correct is like skating on thin ice. Thing is, there are very few, if any, historical facts on who exactly Robin Hood was, and what he did or didn't do. The thing with this version is that Ridley Scott opted to put yet another twist on the story. What irked a lot of people is how much it differs from the established versions, which - historically speaking - are no more accurate than this one. If however, you are referring to King Richard and Prince John, then your argument has a little more merit.

If you doubt me, try and look up some 'facts' on our friend, Robin. ;)

To get back on topic though, I do agree the sword is a tad too gaudy... for me at least.
This Space for Rent

I was pretty drunk when i got home last night, so I'll clarify what I meant by historically incorrect. See, I don't care if the mess around with robin hood a little, he's a myth, and there's lots of different stories and so on. Besides, it's only to be e xp ected by hollywood. You know, anything to make a "better" movie. What makes me dislike the robin hood movie, isn't robin hood, it's how all the historical facts and events are turned into half-truths and things that "could have happened". As I'm quite interested in medieval history, this really kinda pisses me off. Hell, I actually have "Lionheart and Lackland, and the wars of conquest" 2 feet away from me, a big fat book on what actually happened in Britain in that period.

But by all means, entertaining movie, as I said above, I just wouldn't by the sword.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

[quote=""Darlak""]I'd rather shove that sword up someones dark smelly place than actually own one myself.[/quote]

What an "Interesting" place to put a sword Darlak

Anyways I watched the film but I felt like things seemed rushed. The Marion and Robin romance sort of sprang out of nowhere. It felt like there was no character development between the two of them.

The sword seems alright but I won't buy it, I'd rather spend the money on finishing up my Lord of The Rings collection.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

I don't think it's selling well at all. MR has had it on special for $145.00 for over a month now. This past weekend it was $125.00 for a weekend special. Today it's back at $145.00 ($100.00 of regular price). So, it's still heavily discounted. I think they are trying to unload them since they don't seem to be popular.

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”