Re: Orcrist Revealed

is there not something, wrong whit the date .that darlak and revanakin,posted there threads :huh:

steel servant,your falcata looks great ,might be the first design (history)greeak -markedonian)design sword ,that goes back to alexander the great ,age.
and maby latter on become ,into khuks.

I doubt they'll do museum collection again, based on the disaster that was the idea of MC Samwise, and the fact that they went bankrupt halfway through the production of the first MC pieces. But the demand is there, so maybe. You never know.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""ecthelion""]Hey Kit, i was wondering when you get permission from P.J. if you will post a pic of Orcrist and its estimated price. Will there be Museum Collection editions coming out?[/quote]

Any images will have to come from UC. Unfortunately, as I understand they can't show anything until a few months prior to the film release.

PJ has it in the new production diary.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I doubt they'll do museum collection again, based on the disaster that was the idea of MC Samwise, and the fact that they went bankrupt halfway through the production of the first MC pieces. But the demand is there, so maybe. You never know.[/quote]

The Sam sword did just fine, and the old UC's bankruptcy had nothing to do with LOTR, BTW. MC versions will depend on how well the film does, and how well people like the new swords.
KRDS

also any ballpark time of when the pics are going to be released? i heard a rumor around july/august time. Also i did see the video and i am impressed by both the giant hammer and orcrist. Now i noticed the museum collection stated there functional swords does that mean sharp full tang and carbon steel?

As I said, a few months before the film release is when I think UC is allowed to show images. I know the wait is a long way off, but what has already been released by Warner and the production is all that is out there for now.

I don't know what is in film 2, but as I have said in previous posts, I can't discuss any of that anyway. I'm just exited about what we are working on from film 1!
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]The Sam sword did just fine, and the old UC's bankruptcy had nothing to do with LOTR, BTW. MC versions will depend on how well the film does, and how well people like the new swords.[/quote]

Right, but what I meant about Sam's Sword is that the idea of the weathered version being "MC", even though it was not of the same quality standard as Sting and Glamdring MC, was not very well received by many people on this forum and other forums, along with other people I know who also collect LotR. While the sword itself was fine and desirable, the general reaction was "What...that's not MC?" Just so we're on the same page. :thumbs_up

They were constructed out of High Carbon Spring Steel and have a full tang unlike pretty much all other LOTR items. The hilts were said to be made out of precious or semi precious materials. Some people complain that the hilts were still not up to par with the prices but it is the price we all pay. They also come with the shadow box display, a special COA, and are they signed? I cannot remember that part.

I was wondering about the logic in UC waiting until October (or so) in order to release information/pics about the upcoming items. With all the pics being released on set from "The Hobbit" if someone was so inclined, they could already start making knock offs. If you look at the current knockoffs, they are a little similar to the officially licensed ones, but very obvious that they ARE knockoffs. People who collect these items do not want knockoffs anyway.

I would think that it would make sense that UC start showing (if nothing else) portions of these new items (for example a blow up of a part of the blade or handle). You know, a tease... something to keep us captivated in what is to come. Thoughts?
Derek Smith
SmithBlades.com
http://www.SmithBlades.com

Derek, I do believe that Kit has hinted several times at the fact that UC's hands are tied in this. They are likely bound by their license with New Line to not show anything until a predetermined time.

I agree with you, but I think it's the legal end of things holding up the parade. I'm sure Kit will correct me if I'm wrong.
This Space for Rent

some screencaps of Orcrist from the Video blog. Orcrist has a curved handle but it curves backwards, I wonder how that will feel in the hand :huh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lindir on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

I'll bet that curved handle feels great, and it's obvious it can be double handed as well.
Love it! :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

The pommel is my favourite piece, I cant wait to see it properly. I am still interested in knowing how it feels in the hand, hopefully I will find out when the replica is released.

You know, if Kit and his team can't make the scabbard I can live with it because I'd rather just have the sword. But knowing my luck with these stupid UK laws I may only be able to get the scabbard, if released, as a piece of the amazing design, and that would be a shame :'(

I wonder how progress is going on the sword at UC

Someone has translated the runes on Orcrist that we can see on the guard from the Thorin promo pic

http://www.elendilion.pl/2012/01/10/g-i ... n-cleaver/

Not much I know but I thought the article was interesting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lindir on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]

Yes, very important!

:crazy: [/quote]
That bear has more sense than those who think weapons should be banned.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]That bear has more sense than those who think weapons should be banned.[/quote]

And probably better survival skills, lol. :D

Speaking of survival skills...the British Government better sharpen theirs if EG can't get his Orcist.

What the heck? It looks like half a Glamdring.

I'm no longer looking forward to this movie.

Thanks for the pic though.
Last edited by Valkrist on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

[quote=""Darlak""]What the heck? It looks like half a Glamdring.

Thanks for the pic though.[/quote]

Why are you no longer looking forward to seeing the movie darlak?

And yeh its definitely an over sized version. If you look at the pics from the latest vlog I posted you can see that the Orcrist the guy from Weta is holding is the smaller scale version. by smaller scale, I of course the mean the correct size of the sword as it should be to an actual person. The over sized version also e xp lains why Richard Armitage was complaining about the weight of the sword

I wish we could get a higher resolution version of that image. The runes also seem to be blowing blue, it may be just the flash of course.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]And probably better survival skills, lol.

Speaking of survival skills...the British Government better sharpen theirs if EG can't get his Orcist.[/quote]

To right they had better :club:
Last edited by Lindir on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[quote=""Darlak""]What the heck? It looks like half a Glamdring.

Thanks for the pic though.[/quote]

Well, that's not a veyr positive outlook. :|

Have we seen much of the pommel on Orcist yet? You can see a fair amount here, it looks cool, almost like a V-shape.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Well, that's not a veyr positive outlook. :|

Have we seen much of the pommel on Orcist yet? You can see a fair amount here, it looks cool, almost like a V-shape.[/quote]

We have seen shots of the pommel from the side or from the top, so this is our first proper glimpse of it. Its interesting, it looks like the throat of the sabbard and it also has a little swirl that comes down onto the handle.

Well, I'm no longer looking forward to The Hobbit for quite a few reasons, the revelation of Orcrist being the last drop...

Firstly, there's the dwarves. They're horrible. Then there's the ridiculous deviations from the book, and now, this horrible, horrible sword. It looks like a polished orc-made cleaver, with some runes scribbled on the not-so-cross-guard. Either that, or, well, a Glamdring split down the middle.

Don't get me wrong, the movie may turn out to be awesome for all I know, I'm just not looking forward to it anymore, as I'm pretty sure it'll end with disappointment.

Oh and then there's the 3D. Blasted 3D.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

[quote=""RevAnakin""]It seems to me to be a more "functional" than say the HEWs. I am not talking prop, but design of the sword. It would be very difficult to fight with the HEWs effectively. This would honestly be a great horseman's sword.[/quote]

Sorry for the double-post, but I just felt I had to reply to this.

If you would have a "functional" HEWS, it'd be one of the best swords a man could have. The HEWS is built very much like the Chinese dadao, an anti-cavalry sword, which had a broad curved blade, and long handle, often as long or longer than the blade itself. While it would be impractical to handle it as a normal sword, it could cut through anything if used correctly. See, the long handle allows for gathering craploads of momentum with nothing more than a flick of your wrists, similarly to how you would hit someone with a fighting stick. So basically, the design allowed for very fast, and very hard hitting slashes. It was designed to kill both horse and rider in one strike, and it did the job perfectly.

Orcrist on the other hand, is a great lump of sharpened metal, which you would have to swing way over your head to gather the same momentum as a dadao, or HEWS. So basically, Orcrist is the impractical weapon here, and not HEWS. There are also very few examples of designs similar to Orcrist throughout history, and most of those designs quickly developed into more practical designs.

It is true that Orcrist wouldn't be utterly useless on horseback, but then again, there area countless weapon styles that'd do the job a hundred times better. Like a broadsword, which would function as both a lance, and hard hitting slashing weapon when mounted. Until you meet a Chinese guy with a dadao, that is =P

[quote=""Darlak""]Well, I'm no longer looking forward to The Hobbit for quite a few reasons, the revelation of Orcrist being the last drop...

Firstly, there's the dwarves. They're horrible. Then there's the ridiculous deviations from the book, and now, this horrible, horrible sword. It looks like a polished orc-made cleaver, with some runes scribbled on the not-so-cross-guard. Either that, or, well, a Glamdring split down the middle.

Don't get me wrong, the movie may turn out to be awesome for all I know, I'm just not looking forward to it anymore, as I'm pretty sure it'll end with disappointment.

Oh and then there's the 3D. Blasted 3D.[/quote]

I personally like the look of the Dwarves. Orcrist is a hard one because so many people have their own ideas of what it could have looked like. I was never e xp ecting Orcrist to look the way it does, but after looking at it carefully I think its quite beautiful and is consistent with the other elven weapons we have from the lord of the rings movies. Also remember, we are constantly seeing the sword at awkward angles, so from the side, or from the top etc. We never get to see the sword properly and examine it from all angles.

And also remember its probably an over sized version in that photo. The correct scale sword will probably look more subtle.

When Kit first spoke about Orcrist last year, even he said he was unsure about the design until he got a proper look at it. I think its gonna be one of those things that you have to be able to see it in front of you and hold it in your hand to truly appreciate it.

[quote=""Darlak""]Sorry for the double-post, but I just felt I had to reply to this.

If you would have a "functional" HEWS, it'd be one of the best swords a man could have. The HEWS is built very much like the Chinese dadao, an anti-cavalry sword, which had a broad curved blade, and long handle, often as long or longer than the blade itself. While it would be impractical to handle it as a normal sword, it could cut through anything if used correctly. See, the long handle allows for gathering craploads of momentum with nothing more than a flick of your wrists, similarly to how you would hit someone with a fighting stick. So basically, the design allowed for very fast, and very hard hitting slashes. It was designed to kill both horse and rider in one strike, and it did the job perfectly.

Orcrist on the other hand, is a great lump of sharpened metal, which you would have to swing way over your head to gather the same momentum as a dadao, or HEWS. So basically, Orcrist is the impractical weapon here, and not HEWS. There are also very few examples of designs similar to Orcrist throughout history, and most of those designs quickly developed into more practical designs.

It is true that Orcrist wouldn't be utterly useless on horseback, but then again, there area countless weapon styles that'd do the job a hundred times better. Like a broadsword, which would function as both a lance, and hard hitting slashing weapon when mounted. Until you meet a Chinese guy with a dadao, that is =P[/quote]

Off topic, but nonetheless, I know all about the dadao, trained with a few myself. Yes, there are a few examples of dadao s with longer handles than blades but the most common and easily used would be one with a shorter handle. Also, every dadao I have used had a very straight handle and it was only the blade that curves up and flares. This design is especially deadly and as effective as you say.

Doubtless, HEWs was inspired by the dadao or something similar but the curved handle and lack of flaring of the blade don't make it an impractical weapon over say a claymore, but in my handling of HEWs it is much more of the silent Tai Chi weapon than cutting down a horse.

It is a beautiful weapon, certainly deadly (as most swords are), but there is little use for a handle that big that is designed to ease leverage against a blade that is much too thin and short. The longer handle is necessary for the wider longer blade of the dadao. Not the case with the HEWs.

In an arsenal would Weta's Orcrist be my first choice against an army? No. I never liked the falchion style of sword play. I like my double sided oakeshott XIVs similar to Boromir's sword with a shield. But to each his own.

I like looking at my collection and seeing diversity. So I am welcome to a brand new style sword, as long as it isn't over sized.

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”