Re: Orcrist Revealed

[quote=""Valkrist""]

Description of the sword: "simulated gem stones" ?!?!? Where? When? How? No such thing that any photo thus far has revealed. This is a red flag for me, indicating that maybe this description was borrowed from another product. The alternatives are that there are gemstones we've never seen, or someone once again has no clue what they're talking about. As for the runes, that's obviously only a partial translation as we know there is much more. Lastly, the tooth being made of acrylic resin is disappointing but I guess it's much easier and cheaper to mass-produce it that way than to try actual wood or horn. [/quote]

The gem stones could be on the top of the pommel. The description says that the pommel features the emblem of Ecthelion so thats a good place where there could be gem stones.

Val, I think I posted it in the Hobbit thread a while back. I believe those two screencaps of Gandalf from the trailer are from two different scenes in the movie. In the first magazine (empire i think it was) to report from the set of the Hobbit last year, it gave a small snippet of information about a scene they were going to film involving Gandalf and Elrond scouting out Dol Guldur. I believe the first screencap could be this scouting scene.

I've looked at the trailer multiple times to try and find Glamdring in the scene where Gandalf is fighting Thrain but I can only make out him swinging his staff.

We'll have to wait until the movie is released to see how it all plays out.

As for them changing the scene where Gandalf finds Glamdring with Orcrist: In the preview footage shown at Comic Con, one of the descriptions said there was a scene where Gandalf was in some sort of cave/dungeon and he draws his sword and it lights up (glows blue). It was on TORN, I'll post the link later on when I find it. So I don't think they would change how Gandalf finds it simply to make Orcrist Sting's mate and allow them both to glow. I doubt this whole "mate" thing would even register to people who haven't read the book when its played out in the movie.

But as for the release date: This fits in perfectly with my plans to purchase a new camera. Now I wont have it nagging at me to give up the money for the camera and just buy Orcrist instead.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Hmm, the screencaps bring a whole new side to this debate. I think that EG's e xp lanation is the only way that Glamdring could be found in the Troll Hoard, but it does make sense. Now I just want to see that darn movie!

Also, my Sting Scabbard came with a strap. I didn't know that the earlier ones didn't come with one! To be honest, it's not that special, but I guess I can understand why you feel left out, Val. :|

Where did you find that picture of Thorin, Rev? Damn, dat axe!
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

I got a few emails this morning asking me to comment on the specs. I'm not sure any of that stuff was even supposed to be released, but I have not been given permission to talk about anything yet.

I did glance at the past few pages. Regarding the blade steel, AUS-6 is the same as 420. I don't know where you guys are getting the 440 stuff from, but UC has never used a 440 series for a replica. Japanese 420J2 is what was used on all the LOTR swords, and just about every movie replica sword UC has ever made. J2 is hard to get now, so most makers are using AUS-6 or the Cr series equivalents.
KRDS

You know, when I was composing that post, I was thinking to myself: "Ugh! Was it 440 or 420 that they used back in the day?"

I then looked around and someone else had (mistakenly) said 440 on another forum so that's what I went with. However, there must be some difference between 420 and AUS-6, otherwise why would they have different classifications? I know the price of metal has gotten ridiculously e xp ensive over the last few years, so I'm sure that cost has something to do with going with AUS-6, but I wonder if the quality of the steel itself is lower somehow. :|
This Space for Rent

No, if you look at the specs, they are basically the same steel. Different countries use different classifications. 3Cr13 is another name that is the equivalent steel from China.

If you look at the old 440C series steel that used to be very commonly used by UC, Cold Steel, and others, that has now been replaced by AUS-8, 9Cr18, or 11Cr17, which are much easier to source. Lots of knife companies don't even bother to change the names, since most people are not familiar with the AUS and Cr designations.
KRDS

Marking low grade 400 series steel with 440 STAINLESS STEEL was something typical of cheap China knockoffs, but not many LOTR knockoffs that I saw were. But I probably saw more than the average person. About a dozen different factories were making ripoffs. We tried to alert New Line every time we saw one. Everyone was trying to cash in on it back then, and they still are. I remember visiting some of the contract factories that UC and other companies were using for some of the lower cost Tomhawk branded stuff. Looking around these places I would see LOTR pommels, hand guards, blades, all kinds of stuff piled in boxes, hidden in corners, everywhere. It was nuts.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Marking low grade 400 series steel with 440 STAINLESS STEEL was something typical of cheap China knockoffs, but not many LOTR knockoffs that I saw were. But I probably saw more than the average person. About a dozen different factories were making ripoffs. We tried to alert New Line every time we saw one. Everyone was trying to cash in on it back then, and they still are. I remember visiting some of the contract factories that UC and other companies were using for some of the lower cost Tomhawk branded stuff. Looking around these places I would see LOTR pommels, hand guards, blades, all kinds of stuff piled in boxes, hidden in corners, everywhere. It was nuts.[/quote]

I imagine it would be incredibly frustrating to be able to do nothing about it. ugh, they're usually a bunch of crap anyways. Most are extremely ugly and don't look anything like the movie props. I wonder how bad the Orcrist knock offs will be when they are released.

I'm sure it is already being knocked off as we speak, considering the images have been out there for several months now. I think Warner is going to actively protect the property this time though. I e xp ect them to be cracking down on the importers as soon as the knockoffs hit the market.
KRDS

That plaque looks mighty similar to the LOTR Sting plaque, tho' probably a bit bigger, since Orcrist is bigger than Sting.

Still, couldn't UC do better and give Orcrist a unique plaque rather than recycle an old one? :P

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Very interesting and cool. Looks like that is indeed Orcrist's plaque. The Sting plaque has been modified slightly, both in shape and silkscreen pattern, and Glamdring's new plaque is indeed much nicer than the old one. The scabbard definitely looks retooled. It looks like actual leather now rather than the original suede, and the strap was certainly not part of the original. I may have to pick this one up pending comparison reviews with the old one. Oh, and the staff looks sweet. Thanks for the photos, N2. :)
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]I almost have a feeling they just mocked that up for the publicity shot and that's not the actual plaque. I guess we'll find out come February, or as soon as more photos are released.[/quote]

You sure, Val? Look at the new plaque for Glamdring in N2D's post.

That looks like an elongated (old or new) Sting plaque.

Seems to me UC is doing some of the new issues on-the-cheap, or at least "on the cheaper" by doing minor changes on the plaques that require minimal tooling changes. :P :P

I kind of like the acting scabbard for this release with the actual leather look. Mine looks like light brown suede. I might get the newer one maybe... but it won't be an urgent buy. I do like the newer Glamdring plaque but it doesn't justify buying the sword again for the plaque. Looks like I'll be in the hunt for the staff and Orcrist first
Last edited by BladeCollector on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]All the knock off LOTR swords out there were all stamped Stainless 440, but if I remember the test done years ago they were all 440a not 440c, less carbon, less awesome.[/quote]

Well, there ya go. My point is clear. :thumbs_up

Kit, why did UC have to go making everything so awesome. Now I HAVE to get Sting, Scabbard, and Glamdring. Just have to. Those look so sweet! At some point I'll double up on those. But for now, it'll just be staff and Orcrist for me. Thank you for making Orcrist hang vertical!
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

I wonder if UC would be willing to offer a number of the new Glamdring plaques for sale to those who already have the sword but prefer the design of the new plaque. I didnt mind the design of the plaque we already have but the new one looks so much better.

Orcrist and Gandalf's staff look amazing. :thumbs_up
Now i'm interested in how Orcrist is construced. Hopefully the handle will be riveted onto the tang somehow to prevent it from sliding off should the glue fail.

The staff and Orcrist are the first two I want to buy, but I'll have to wait until early next year for the money to get them.

I like the leather wrap on the new Sting scabbard, looks better than the suede one.
Last edited by Lindir on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Orcrist plaque is the same shape as the Sting plaque, just looks like a different silk screen print.
I'm not to keen on the resin handle idea, I assume from description that there are no metal parts other than the blade.
I think I'll be waiting for a review from one of you initial buyers.

So who's going to be the guinea pig?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]The Orcrist plaque is the same shape as the Sting plaque, just looks like a different silk screen print.
I'm not to keen on the resin handle idea, I assume from description that there are no metal parts other than the blade.
I think I'll be waiting for a review from one of you initial buyers.

So who's going to be the guinea pig?[/quote]

it says the hilt is crafted with solid metal parts, simulated gem stones and an acrylic resin grip. So the guard and pommel should be metal and there may be gem stones somewhere and the tooth will be resin

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Well, I'm in the process of buying Gandalf's Staff and I've reserved Orcrist, so I'll be the guinea pig. :thumbs_up [/quote]

How are you buying Gandalf's staff? Do you mean you're pre-ordering it? :huh:

I'm putting my money in for the staff as well since it is just over one month away. Reserving Orcrist as well.

EG, I like your idea of asking UC to sell the Glamdring plaque separately. It probably won't happen, but it never hurts to ask. I'm also pretty sure the crossguard and pommel are metal, but I'm still dubious about the gemstones claim.

Thranduil, the new Sting and Orcrist plaques are indeed the same except for the design on them, but both are different in shape from the old Sting plaque: the two upper edges come together in a straight line at the apex, whereas in the old one they are curved. In fact, the upper half of the new Glamdring plaque looks exactly like the old Sting plaque. This would definitely make the three swords look more like they are part of the same family as a display.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]
EG, I like your idea of asking UC to sell the Glamdring plaque separately. It probably won't happen, but it never hurts to ask. [/quote]

Since I so despise the current Glamdring plaque I hope that the newer one is available separately

[quote=""Valkrist""]
Thranduil, the new Sting and Orcrist plaques are indeed the same except for the design on them, but both are different in shape from the old Sting plaque: the two upper edges come together in a straight line at the apex, whereas in the old one they are curved. In fact, the upper half of the new Glamdring plaque looks exactly like the old Sting plaque. This would definitely make the three swords look more like they are part of the same family as a display.[/quote] (emphasis added)

Bit of a stretch there, Val (and I don't mean the plaque hahahaha)

Really, i cannot see the UC Orcrist in that group...the shape is so foreign,... and that grip... :beatdead: And all the fake lore can't change that impression (for me)

If I got it and hung it next to the other two, I'd forever be wincing when I looked at it.

The more I see of it (glad N2D posted those pics), the more I am put off by it.

If I were a complete-ist (as you call it) for all the licensed collectibles, like you and dpeg and Khal, I'd buy it no matter how much i objected to it.

But anyone looking at My Collection can see I'm no complete-ist.

What I am going to do is start putting aside about $3k :P and have one made...a sword that looks more like ---much more like--- the sword Ecthelion would have wielded. :)

[quote=""Valkrist""]Thranduil, the new Sting and Orcrist plaques are indeed the same except for the design on them, but both are different in shape from the old Sting plaque: the two upper edges come together in a straight line at the apex, whereas in the old one they are curved. In fact, the upper half of the new Glamdring plaque looks exactly like the old Sting plaque. This would definitely make the three swords look more like they are part of the same family as a display.[/quote]
Very well spoken point. :thumbs_up They do marry up in the collection.
I bite my tongue.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]it says the hilt is crafted with solid metal parts, simulated gem stones and an acrylic resin grip. So the guard and pommel should be metal and there may be gem stones somewhere and the tooth will be resin[/quote]
Ah, yes I see now and stand corrected.
It's good news too. :)

[quote=""Deimos""]
Bit of a stretch there, Val (and I don't mean the plaque hahahaha[/quote]

Yes, I know well what you mean and you know I am in the same camp even though I will be buying that sword. Just saying having the plaques match was a nice touch, but it certainly does not go very far. :|
This Space for Rent

Awesome, I just also noted that Orcrist overall length is 38", so anyone worried about them doing the "scaled" up model can be eased of that pain. 38" is just about right for the length of a normal one handed Oakeshott XIV, but in the falchion style blade. It is indeed a tad long for the historical falchion style, but hey they were Elves and knew how to use a 4" longer blade.

Not sure what is going on. All the websites that had the items up are taking them back down. I checked cbswords and there is a statement stating that they accidentally released the info on the items too early. Looks like they are not allowed to sell them until Oct. 1st. Bladecenter still has them up though (http://www.bladecenter.com/hobbit-sword ... apons.aspx).
Last edited by Elf_Friend on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Elf_Friend""]Not sure what is going on. All the websites that had the items up are taking them back down. I checked cbswords and there is a statement stating that they accidentally released the info on the items too early. Looks like they are not allowed to sell them until Oct. 1st. Bladecenter still has them up though (http://www.bladecenter.com/hobbit-sword ... apons.aspx).[/quote]
From what I know, none of that stuff was supposed to be released to the public. Ad copy was not final, images were not approved, et cetera. Not even sure the pricing is correct. I think it was just supposed to be a preview for distributors, then it got in dealers hands and posted everywhere. UC has asked everyone to remove them. Final specs and images are not supposed to go out until around 11/1.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]From what I know, none of that stuff was supposed to be released to the public. Ad copy was not final, images were not approved, et cetera. Not even sure the pricing is correct. I think it was just supposed to be a preview for distributors, then it got in dealers hands and posted everywhere. UC has asked everyone to remove them. Final specs and images are not supposed to go out until 11/1.[/quote]

Sounds like a major OOPS!!

I have a UC wholesalers account and was in contact with UC today. They sent me hi-res PDF documents of all the LOTR/Hobbit items that are going to be for sale along with pricing. They also told me to put in my pre-order as soon as possible not sure why, but I did as I don't want to miss out on Orckrist or the staff.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Is blade center a reliable company? Honestly, I am going for whoever is cheapest. These are all the same products, and as long as the dealer is not a scammer, I am just going for lowest overall cost.[/quote]

I've ordered LOTR items from 5 different dealers (including blade center) and all the items came from the same location in Tennessee. I've ordered from websites, eBay, and Amazon.

I think a lot of these dealers are having the same distributor ship their items for them. So I always go with the best deal.

[quote=""SmithBlades.com""]UC asked everyone to take everything down. Apparently they are under contract to not have any information about the weapons go out to the public (details/pics). I received an email from someone from UC about the newsletter I sent out.[/quote]

I hope UC doesn't get into too much trouble for the leak. A store over here that had the images up has also pulled them down from the website.

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”