Orcrist Revealed

[quote=""Olorin""]I'm not sure what I think of the asymmetrical design of Orcrist. I'll let you guys all debate that.[/quote]

-07/17/11-

Here it is, boys. Another thing many of us have been waiting for the past ten
years.

:coolsmile

The first pic was released about an hour ago; TheOneRing.net had the honor
of publishing it first, and Grima Wormtongue was the first member here who
spotted it.

What do you think?

People already complain about the fact that it's curved, but so were these:

And, of course, this:

True, Orcrist is the first (of three) Gondolin swords that's not symmetrical,
but I think it's a perfect companion for Sting and Glamdring. I can
already see them all displayed together, and my heart aches how beautiful
that might be.

Personally, I need more pictures for better judgment, but from what I've seen
today, I think I have another grail to search for.
Last edited by ed209 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Orcrist Revealed

Here's a closeup of the scabbard's throat. Again, as with Sting, the guard
design continues onto the scabbard, only this one is even more detailed:

Also, from Total Film, Armitage's quote:

"It's bloody heavy!" he told us. "But it's absolutely beautiful to look at.
Every time they bring something new out everyone gasps."
Last edited by ed209 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

From the one photo we've seen, which shows only part of the sword and at an odd angle, it's really hard to tell what it truly looks like. When I mentioned asymmetry, I was referring to the crossguard being off to one side. It's certainly possible that it's a curved blade...but hard to tell until we see more.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

See my comments in the Hobbit thread for my thoughts on this.

I just want to add here that, on its own and as an elven blade, the sword looks simply amazing. As Orcrist specifically, I can't quite wrap my head around it yet and am feeling disappointed. I need to see the whole thing properly before I pass my own personal and final judgment.

Now I can fully sympathize with how Darlak felt about the dwarves' looks. In my mind's eye, I've picture Orcrist countless times in my mind over nearly twenty years. After seeing Glamdring for real, my imagination and e xp ectation of Orcrist has solidified even more. This is not it at all. What can I say...? :|
This Space for Rent

I really don't know what to say... Looking at the ics, the sword itself is like a wet dream come true.

However, as Val also said, I can't quite picture this as a companion sword to Glamdring. At all. I'm generally leased though, that sword looks amazing.

As for Thorin... Yeah baby! He's perfect! He's like a stunted black-metal viking out of hell =D
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

On second though, what if they redesign Glamdring to match Orcrist? Hahah just joking.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

[quote=""Darlak""]As for Thorin... Yeah baby! He's perfect! He's like a stunted black-metal viking out of hell =D[/quote]

Which brings up a good point.... Once we see Thorin in proper scale standing next to Gandalf or Elrond, will he still look so awesome when he's only 4 feet tall?

[quote=""Darlak""]On second though, what if they redesign Glamdring to match Orcrist? Hahah just joking.[/quote]

Bite.
Your.
Tongue.

;)
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Hmm... Just because the overall shape (being asymmetrical) is quite different
from Glamdring, some details (blade and guard inscription/engraving;
broadening of the slender, sexy blade towards the tip; curved, nature-shaped
guards) fit the Gondolin scheme more than enough.

It's the trio: hand-and-a-half, main sword (Glamdring), falcata-style sword
with elongated handle (Orcrist), and a short sword (Sting). A great equipment
for the complete, all-around Elven warrior -- better idea than the same sword
in three different sizes (L/M/S) for three different races. That would be
too convenient for the story, and this is much more convincing.

Oh, and the blade is definitely asymmetrical and curved. Pretty much like
the Machaera I linked in the first post.
Last edited by ed209 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""ed209""]
People already complain about the fact that it's curved, .[/quote]

If you were referring to me as a complainer Ed, I wasn't complaining about the design itself, its amazing I was just complaining because if it is curved then I wont be able to get the replica :'(

But I think perhaps I could come up with a plan or two to get me one :evil:
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]If you were referring to me as a complainer Ed, I wasn't complaining about the design itself, its amazing I was just complaining because if it is curved then I wont be able to get the replica :'( [/quote]

Accept my apologies then. I see in "The Hobbit" thread now that the UK law
is the problem, not the design.

Hey, if you'll really, really desire it, I'm sure you'll come up with a plan to
import it.

:thumbs_up

[quote=""ed209""]Accept my apologies then. I see in "The Hobbit" thread now that the UK law
is the problem, not the design.

Hey, if you'll really, really desire it, I'm sure you'll come up with a plan to
import it.

:thumbs_up [/quote]

I wonder if I could actually get Richard Armitage to bring one through for me. :D

I'm ok if there is a handforged version made coz the UK law allows handforged curved swords to be sold. Its the most rediculous law, i know but I have to follow the laws. I don't want to get into trouble. I think I'll love the sword whether it has a straight blade or a curved blade but we do need more pictures!

Oh and apology accepted my friend, no harm done

But I think perhaps I could come up with a plan or two to get me one
Sword-smuggling is easy. Put it in a condom and swallow it.

[quote=""Darlak""]Sword-smuggling is easy. Put it in a condom and swallow it.[/quote]

Do you think that would actually work? hmmmm, may have to try it

is it possible that Weta may show Orcrist at comi-con? If so, we need someone to take loads of pics for us :coolsmile

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]is it possible that Weta may show Orcrist at comi-con?[/quote]

Probably not. That would be too quick even for them to acquire the licence
for "The Hobbit" collectibles and start producing them.

(On the other hand, you never know with "Weta Workshop." They might
supply "Warner Bros." with promotion material, who knows. We'll see what's in
their 2011 crate.)

Sed, I get that from your post in the Hobbit thread, but could you please elaborate (once you can put your hatred into less profane terms)?

I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts and opinion versus Ed's. You guys are providing a nice contrast of views here, and as I find myself in the middle so far, I would like to know what makes you dislike this sword so intensely. Is it overall design issues or the fact that like me, you don't think it fits in with Glamdring or your vision of Orcrist?
This Space for Rent

[quote=""ed209""]
And, of course, this:

[/quote]

Must be a dream come true, eh Ed? This sword with a "Hobbit" twist? Just wait for the "Master Swordsmith's" edition ;)

I also have mixed feelings...
On the one hand, i'm sure Orcrist, as a sword, will look sweet in design and i'm sure it will be well executed. But, I hope the reproduction will do it justice...

On the other hand...i never pictured Orcrist looking like a falcata type sword. And, like others, had a completely different idea of it in my head. In addition, i personally don't think it'll fit hanging next to Glamdring and Sting on a wall - as they are both "Medieval" style swords with leaf-blades...
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

As a sword design, from what I can see, I really like. Now I want to see a a few pics without it being held, so I can see the handle and I would like to see the entire thing.

I can see asymmetry with the cross guard, but without better views and different angles, it hard to see what the blade is doing, if it has that leaf curve or if it has a elven warrior sword thing going on.
It looks like both sides of the blade are sharp

If you look at it a certain way, and if you imagine him turning the sword more towards us, it looks like the other half of the cross guard could be broke off, not that it is, just a certain way I looked at it, it did.

I'm with Valkrist right now. Not the way I pictured it, looks like Sting's mate (something I really don't like the idea of. Sting is a very nice sword, but it is certainly not of the same caliber of swords like Orcrist and Glamdring), and the only bit of Glamdring I can see in there is the Cirth inscription instead of Tengwar.

Still, it looks okay from what I can see.

A tad ultra-modern in design for First Age stuff though...? Perhaps. Want to see more pics before I decide. And hold the actual prop in my hands. And take it for meeeeeee! :D
Last edited by Jamanticus on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Not quite what I was e xp ecting but I am liking what I'm seeing so far although we will need to see a full length picture to be able to judge the shape of the blade fully as well as the pommel.

At the moment i see more sting than glamdring in the design with the sting-like elven inscriptions on the cross guard and on the lower blade near the shoulder of the blade. The cross guard inscriptions look more like stings than Glamdrings.

The picture also hints at a possible Big mean medieval falchion-type blade shape which will not be ill-suited to the Thorin character but that would probably mean there is no leaf shaped blade. Is it possible to have a leaf shaped falchion blade.

Either way, I am going to have to prepare a hobbit display with all 3 swords on display.

The more I look at it, the guard seems a bit too claw like. It's more like a gothic sword than an elven sword. And the way the guard tapers down sort of suggests that there could be another side to it.

And actually when I look at the blade I keep seeing it elongate into the leaf blade like Glamdring and Sting....

I am confused about this at the moment. Hopefully weta will reply to my email soon and then we can know for certain if the blade is curved or not.

It's still very beautiful though, I would like them to release just a full picture of Orcrist with Glamdring and Sting
Last edited by Lindir on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

this is a werd isue ,but to me (looking at jash pic.)this sword looks like,a combonation ,betwean a falcata and a khukuri knife. :huh:

the design of this,(sword)look very close to my custum made khuk .
defrence is the blade of my khuk is a little bit more wide ,in the eage.and the handle is more solid.made of hard wood and goe in a strat line .(maby because of the close handle desing ,makes it iligal in uk.)

the idea at the first place ,was to create a combine betwean a bowie knife and a khuk.just to modifie the khuk a little bit.(not made by me,only got inspereted to the design). :thumbs_up

the khuk have the same lenght as the sting sword.but i do find it hard to combine those two ??but maby if orcrist is supose to a sword ,the heavy,might figuer. :thumbs_up

*sigh*

EG. There is geometry to the blade slanting down the unseen side, YES. But for the last time it is not symmetrical. Look at the throat of the scabbard if you still can't tell. Even single-edged blades have geometry.

Here's why I hate this (ignoring Orcrist for a second):

Unlike ed, I don't view this anywhere close to the masterpiece as is the Machaera. The Machaera keeps the basic elements of the falcata while making it interesting. It has balance and a wonderful design. It looks balanced, aesthetically. A sword of this "genre" should be a symbol; an emblem, able to be kept free of the hand and still look like a finished thing. The Machaera accomplished this with its design, this however, does not. I equate this to a machete. Look at it on your wall. It looks incomplete. It looks like it needs a hand wielding it at all times, otherwise it's just a blade -- nothing more. The problem is, most single-edged blades of this type have shorter hilts and more balanced guards to make up for the asymmetry of the blade. And Japanese blades, for example, are another beast entirely. They are displayed horizontally, worn differently, used differently, etc.

If their inspiration was indeed a falcata-type blade, they blew it to hell with the guard and side of the grip. Single-edged Elven blades? Yeah we've seen them before... in the hands of Elves. Thorin of all characters? Not only do they deprive him of a real beard and make him look like Gowron, they give him a weapon to imply he'll be doing sleek ninja moves against the goblins.

And he's wearing it over his back. Okay, so even a human would find it hard to draw a blade over his back, let alone a Dwarf with an oversized blade.

Moving on:

Orcrist? No. This isn't Orcrist. It's an elongated Sting with half the guard broken off. That "horn" or tooth or claw or whatever it is? Seriously? This is the same design team that gave us Narsil, Glamdring, Sting, the Witchking's sword, and Isildur's sword? This is lazy and sloppy work, IMO. Never would I get the feeling even I could design a better Orcrist than those responsible for the blades I mention above. This is such a letdown after the questionable releases up until this point. Thorin and Orcrist were the beacons of hope... and now we get Gowron with a weapon reminiscent of the new Conan swords: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2615000576/tt0816462

That upward hook is like the interpretation of a five-year-old of what a sword should look like. And making it one-sided is even worse. The way the blade slopes inward towards the center of the guard before receding back there is horrid. It looks like a production flaw. And that horn... I can't get past that. What is it? That's the laziest shape ever on any sword we've seen so far in any of the Tolkien films. And it's... Orcrist.

I e xp ected something fresh and unique. I also e xp ected it to fit well with the legends from LOTR. I see neither here in this lackluster and tragic design. So needless to say, for Orcrist? I hate the design itself, how can I not hate it as Orcrist?

Why are they turning the Dwarves into Men and Elves? I e xp ected at least Thorin would have a mighty beard, stern look, and a symmetrical weapon that stood apart, just like Sting and Glamdring do, yet still wind up in the same family. Instead, we got a mutation of Sting. This isn't Orcrist, it will always be viewed as "the sword that looks like Sting". And we get a wild man in bad need of a beard and additional prosthetics.
-_-

I've been thinking about this particular blade a lot and.... Well, Sed, you've perfectly encapsulated the thoughts that have been brewing in my head for the last 24 hours.

This is not Orcrist. Approval rating on this particular sword... gone out the window and down the drain.

sed i do see your anger ,and disabountmen towards this sword,as so do i at this point. :huh:

i only say my khuk is perfect balace ,and they might never be able to eny more. :coolsmile

nothing we have said ,ore combine to ,orcrist design .is done yet.as it is supose to be a sword.lets se whats habbent then
:huh:
if so can you draw a disign of orcrist as you pictuer it in youer mind maby??

Excellent analysis, Sed, and it comes right from the heart, where I know all this passion for blades resides for you.

You've put words to my feelings, and that's what I wanted from you. There's still something about this sword that intrigues me, and I'm holding out one tiny, faint glimmer of hope until I can see the sword completely and properly, but you're absolutely right... this is not Orcrist, at least for me. :(

Let's discuss Thorin in the Hobbit thread.
This Space for Rent

I decided to whisk out the Hobbit text for a quick browse through and lo and behold, the text does not describe Orcrist as a "mate" of Glamdring. The two portions of the text that i checked were the Troll cave scene and the Rivendell scene when Elrond inspects the swords.

This is quite strange since almost every LOtR wiki database describes Orcrist as Glamdring's mate.

So where did this "mate" idea come from? Another section of the hobbit text or perhaps from the silmarillion?

Any thoughts?

A very good question.

I took a quick peek myself, and you're right, it's not in those two parts, if anywhere at all in that book.

Looking Orcrist up online reveals that everyone says the same thing: Glamdring and Orcrist are "mated" blades.

Here, see for yourself in the History section: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Orcrist

The interesting thing about your discovery is that if Tolkien himself never said the swords were mated but simply that they came from Gondolin, then it could be theorized that this classification was added later simply due to the fact that the swords were found together in the troll-hole. It then follows that Orcrist does not have to bear too much of a resemblance to Glamdring. The text does state that Orcrist, like Glamdring, had a jeweled hilt. I don't quite see that in the picture, but it could be there.

Edit: Just thought of something interesting to this analysis - in LOTR, the decision was made to not have Glamdring glow blue in the presence of orcs, though the text clearly states that it does. So does Orcrist. What will happen in this movie then? If they make both of them glow, then it creates a continuity problem between the two movies. If they make only Orcrist glow and not Glamdring, that's kind of silly. Therefore, I think neither one of them will glow, which is a shame. I wish PJ would go back to LOTR and fix that in a future release. Glamdring should glow, and so should Orcrist.
Last edited by Valkrist on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

Ahh, it's not anywhere in that book because the whole mated swords statement comes from none other than The Lord of the Rings.

As the Fellowship departed Rivendell: "Gandalf bore his staff, but girt at his side was the elven-sword Glamdring, the mate of Orcrist that lay now upon the breast of Thorin under the Lonely Mountain”

So... Yeah, still safe to say that they are mated blades as stated by Tolkien. The film prop's design can't justify itself on that front, at least.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

@Jamanticus: Ah there you have it...So the reference comes from the trilogy.
Looks like it is time for me to pick up the trilogy for a re read soon...bought the dark blue anniversary single volume to read it but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe end of the year.

@Valkrist: If I recall correctly PJ said that the ommission of the glow was a mistake. So hope I'm pretty sure all three blades will glow in the films.

[quote=""Valkrist""]A very good question.

Edit: Just thought of something interesting to this analysis - in LOTR, the decision was made to not have Glamdring glow blue in the presence of orcs, though the text clearly states that it does. So does Orcrist. What will happen in this movie then? If they make both of them glow, then it creates a continuity problem between the two movies. If they make only Orcrist glow and not Glamdring, that's kind of silly. Therefore, I think neither one of them will glow, which is a shame. I wish PJ would go back to LOTR and fix that in a future release. Glamdring should glow, and so should Orcrist.[/quote]

That better be in the super duper deluxe middle earth edition including the EEs of the Hobbit films in one set... because I just bought my 4th or 5th round of LOTR... VHS, TE DVD, EE DVD, TE BD and EE BD, 5th round I guess that makes it!

Are you sure it was a mistake, Aragorn? I read that New Line intentionally made the decision not to have Glamdring glow as well as Sting in order to not create confusion with audiences. Because we all know there couldn't possibly be more than one magic glowing sword in Middle-earth. :rolleye:

I think maybe PJ said it was a mistake in the sense that he shouldn't have given in to the studio's decision, but the omission of the glow was always intentional to begin with. At any rate, it would have been an easy post-production FX fix for the EE releases, so booo to him for not doing it. If Glamdring glows in the Hobbit, it's going to raise questions.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Are you sure it was a mistake, Aragorn? I read that New Line intentionally made the decision not to have Glamdring glow as well as Sting in order to not create confusion with audiences. Because we all know there couldn't possibly be more than one magic glowing sword in Middle-earth. :rolleye:

I think maybe PJ said it was a mistake in the sense that he shouldn't have given in to the studio's decision, but the omission of the glow was always intentional to begin with. At any rate, it would have been an easy post-production FX fix for the EE releases, so booo to him for not doing it. If Glamdring glows in the Hobbit, it's going to raise questions.[/quote]

No way to know for sure. But this is what I have found. http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Glamdring

When asked, Peter Jackson and Philippa Boyens reacted jokingly that is was due to "budgetary cuts", and they had "not enough blue left"

Sounds like it is a small oversight.

[quote=""Sedhal""]EG. There is geometry to the blade slanting down the unseen side, YES. But for the last time it is not symmetrical. Look at the throat of the scabbard if you still can't tell. Even single-edged blades have geometry.[/quote]

Exactly. EG, I cannot believe you e-mailed Weta, bothering them with this.
Aren't they busy enough already? Go to their Facebook page, and discuss it
there with them and their fans (that's where I'm doing it); and if they find
some time, they'll answer. Besides, the answer to your question couldn't
possibly be more obvious.

:(

[quote=""Sedhal""]Unlike ed, I don't view this anywhere close to the masterpiece as is the Machaera.[/quote]

Yep. They're in the same league for me (from what I've seen of Orcrist thus
far.)

[quote=""Sedhal""]A sword of this "genre" should be a symbol; an emblem, able to be kept free of the hand and still look like a finished thing. The Machaera accomplished this with its design, this however, does not. I equate this to a machete. Look at it on your wall. It looks incomplete.[/quote]

It's got more than enough character to be a symbol, and/or an emblem. It's
unique, and in a good way.

Incomplete? I'm imagining it on my wall, and it looks not only complete, but
somehow alive too. Fluid, and as in move. I'll probably display it vertically:
Glamdring in the middle, Sting to the left, Orcrist to the right, with its blunt
side along the Glamdring's blade.

Or, like Machaera (if I had Machaera), I could also display it alone,
horizontally, or even upside down, katana-style, with it's guard pointing
upwards. I'd love to e xp eriment with this.

[quote=""Sedhal""]And he's wearing it over his back. Okay, so even a human would find it hard to draw a blade over his back, let alone a Dwarf with an oversized blade.[/quote]

(I cannot be sure on this, but the scabbard might be "opened" along the side
where the blade is blunt... like on kukhri knives. With those, the throat of the
sheath is too narrow for the blade to be pulled out, so the sheath just clips
from the side. Again, I'm not sure if this is applied here, but if it is, you could
draw the sword in a second.)

[quote=""Sedhal""]Orcrist? No. This isn't Orcrist.[/quote]

Yes, it is. :)

[quote=""Sedhal""]It's an elongated Sting with half the guard broken off.[/quote]

Nope, it's Orcrist.

[quote=""Sedhal""]That "horn" or tooth or claw or whatever it is? Seriously? This is the same design team that gave us Narsil, Glamdring, Sting, the Witchking's sword, and Isildur's sword?[/quote]

Yep, the same team, and that's why I love it. It's iconic just as any of those
blades. The only difference is symmetry (or the lack of one, in this case). But
some freshness takes nothing away from its character.

[quote=""Sedhal""]This is lazy and sloppy work, IMO. Never would I get the feeling even I could design a better Orcrist than those responsible for the blades I mention above.[/quote]

It's not lazy, nor it's sloppy. It's a work of art created with taste and
intelligence.

(Btw, don't be so modest, saying "even I could." I'd seriously like to see you
as one of their design team members. And this is not a joke -- you designed
some amazing pieces of weaponry and armor. Even the fact that you're just a
next-door nobody like the rest of us here cannot deny your huge talent.)

[quote=""Sedhal""]a weapon reminiscent of the new Conan swords: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2615000576/tt0816462[/quote]

Oh, no. I'm not letting you get away with this. You're comparing Orcrist's
crescent guard with Conan's croissant guard. These aren't even similar. It's
like comparing Nick Cave to Rebecca Black.

So I'm wishing canca upon you now! :angry:

[quote=""Sedhal""]And it's... Orcrist.[/quote]

Yes! That's what I've been saying all the time!

[quote=""Sedhal""]I e xp ected something fresh and unique. I also e xp ected it to fit well with the legends from LOTR.[/quote]

And it's all there. Something new, but with the key-elements of Gondolin (as
I stated earlier in this thread).

[quote=""Sedhal""]This isn't Orcrist, it will always be viewed as "the sword that looks like Sting".[/quote]

Nope, it's Orcrist!

To conclude, Seddie, I'm really saddened we cannot appreciate and enjoy this
brand new sword together. The only thing that comforts me is that I'm not
the one who got disappointed.

:cheers:
Last edited by ed209 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""ed209""]
. I'll probably display it vertically:
Glamdring in the middle, Sting to the left, Orcrist to the right, with its blunt
side along the Glamdring's blade.

:cheers: [/quote]

I will be setting aside space in my new house for this...it will be my definitive hobbit display: Sting, Glamdring, Orcrist!

If I got such a display set up, my collection will be complete even if I don't buy another middle earth memorabilia. (ok maybe excluding some of those lovely must have weta enviros; I really like those as well).

Although it remains to be seen whether I can afford sting and orcrist from the master sword smith collection (and for that matter whether I can justify spending so much!).
Last edited by Aragorn on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

[quote=""Jash""]Must be a dream come true, eh Ed? This sword with a "Hobbit" twist? Just wait for the "Master Swordsmith's" edition ;) [/quote]

Hehe... I'll try my best, and let's see what happens. ;)

Getting it would still be a dream *partially* come true. For a complete dream,
I need a complete Master Swordsmith's Collection, plus the unique Machaera...
and beyond.

Oh the modesty. :)

Still, I'm already happy with what I got so far.

[quote=""ed209""]To conclude, Seddie, I'm really saddened we cannot appreciate and enjoy this
brand new sword together. The only thing that comforts me is that I'm not
the one who got disappointed. :cheers: [/quote]

Actually, this is to the whole post. I didn't want to take up that much space to quote the whole thing.....

WOW! The @#!*& is going to hit the fan on this one. Anyone got any popcorn?

Personally, I like it.....that is, what I can see of it in that picture. My opinion may go either way once we get a full gander at the whole thing.
Last edited by Steel Servant on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Thing is, most of us don't seem to feel this is the Orcrist we've always imagined it would be, despite Ed's brimming enthusiasm and positivity. In the end, it's just his opinion versus mine, or Sed's, or whoever else. The thing to bear in mind is that it is also the opinion of Weta's design team, who is responsible for making these artitistic decisions and making the transition from concept to reality. They've proven themselves exceedingly capable before by my books, and because they've chosen for Orcrist to look this way, I think most of us will eventually come around to accept it, because what's the alternative? I certainly won't be going through the whole movie in a state of denial that what Thorin is holding is not Orcrist, so the mind eventually adjusts and conforms to such revisions of our preconceived notions.

As to whether this is worthy to join one's collection on the wall, that's a little trickier. It's easier to accept the item on the screen than it is to shell out money for it and have it on the wall as a constant reminder of something you thought should appear differently. It's a more difficult step to take. Again, I think most will overcome that because they want their collections to be complete, and like it or not, this the only Orcrist we will get for a very long time.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Steel Servant""]WOW! The @#!*& is going to hit the fan on this one. Anyone got any popcorn?[/quote]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Sedhal and me are great friends, and we went
through all this on Facebook chat already on day one. We just wanted to
share our (opposing) opinions with the online community. In fact, he had seen
90% of that post while I've been writing it, before he went to work, so...
yeah, sorry.

Val; that's an excellent post. Even if I don't agree with most of you fellows
(taste-wise), I appreciate your elaborated thoughts. It's not that you went
"it's a piece of crap and I say that just because I can" like some spoiled kids
on the Internet. And, as I said, the more I read about the dislikes, the more I
feel fortunate about being able to feel otherwise (not-disappointed).

Especially when it comes to swords. I really love them, you know.

Isn't it beautiful when Alpha and Omega can come together and present their views without imploding this message board? This is when I feel UCForums is at its best. Thanks Sed and Ed, for granting my request to clarify. :)

I took a lot from hearing both of you, and I'm still somewhere in the middle, but I do love an intelligent and well-composed e xp lanation of why you feel the way you do.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Olorin""]Why don't you guys pop into Washington and settle the debt ceiling negotiation before the US starts defaulting on its debts and the entire global economy collapses? :crazy: [/quote]

My kinsmen may have no need to ride to war. I fear war already marches on
our own lands.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Isn't it beautiful when Alpha and Omega can come together and present their views without imploding this message board? This is when I feel UCForums is at its best. Thanks Sed and Ed, for granting my request to clarify.

I took a lot from hearing both of you, and I'm still somewhere in the middle, but I do love an intelligent and well-composed e xp lanation of why you feel the way you do.[/quote]

Really nice of you to say that, man. :cheers:

Perhaps I can elaborate my standing just a tiny bit further?

I always try not to watch these films as adaptations. I know they *are*
adaptations, but I always try my best not to think about the books when I'm
watching a movie... and the other way around.

It's a bit difficult going back to books and not be thinking about the images
from the screen, but I got quite practiced at that. For instance. When
reading LOTR, "my" Aragorn looks and sounds exactly like Liam Neeson -- tall,
noble, older -- never like Viggo. "My" Narsil/Andúril doesn't look nearly as cool
as Weta's (and "my" Narsil/Andúril scabbard has silver and gold flowers like
Tolkien described -- another reason why film's version is way better). Weta's
Balrog is better and more fiery than "my" Balrog. "My" Shelob, on the other
hand, is bigger and more mutated than Weta's spider vulgaris. And "my" Sam
is not fat, and he reminds me of Fabrizio from Cameron's "Titanic."

I still like both Aragorns, both Narsil/Andúrils, both Balrogs, Shelobs and Sams.

This brings me to Orcrist. When I read "The Hobbit" (like I did today, again),
"my" Orcrist looks like elongated Sam's sword from LOTR (Weathertop), and
has a dark red handle. It will ALWAYS look like that in my head, despite what
we got here.

The collection on my wall is *not* from Tolkien's Middle-Earth -- it's from PJ's.

I love Orcrist in my mind, and I love the one that'll soon come alive on the big
screen. Are they similar? Not by a long shot. (And this is where I understand
you guys.) But will they ever be merged, or will Weta's Orcrist ever replace
the one I see whenever I enjoy Tolkien's pages? No way.

Two completely different mediums, two completely (wonderful) different
Orcrists -- yet neither of them is "denying" the other one.

:thumbs_up

As for the film versions... I'm definitely "buying" that they're all "made in
Gondolin." And that's what's important and so enjoyable.

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”