Re: Orcrist Revealed

[quote=""RosereIII""]Such a shame. Though I will say that if the option of a poly scabbard for Orcrist arrives, my preorder will be quick to follow. Of course a metal version would be ideal, but I can understand production costs and the current market making them impractical. If we can get a poly scabbard that looks close to your 'fake metal' in that pic, I would be quite happy.

Would be a shame for one of the three "main" swords to not have a scabbard available![/quote]

Yep, I would also be happy with the poly version and like Val said, we wouldn't want a lopsided display :P

Val when is your Orcrist due?
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Didn't like your question?

Edit: Never mind, I see it on the previous page.

I browse about half a dozen forums during the day including this one. I'm here for the same reasons as everyone else. I'm a collector. If I see a QC issue about something I worked on I always pass it on to my client. I'm sure I have answered this a dozen times in the 10 years or so I have been a member here, but - as far as product suggestions, what I see being requested on forums is usually exactly what we want to make, but those decisions have already been made long before the public even knows about the products since we are working 10-12 moths in advance (We have already scheduled all Hobbit products for development for films 2 and 3). Products made after the initial release (like TH1, LOTR) are a bit different, and suggestions are considered from lots of different places - like dealer/distributor requests, emails to me or the company holding the license, requests from the film company, facebook pages, forums, et cetera. So what people say here, even though it is a relatively small group, does count. It's a representative slice of the whole collector base I'm sure.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
KRDS

Good to know, Kit, thanks for answering. I do recall you speaking about this in the past, it's just that it has been a long time since the LOTR era, so I was curious to know if the dynamic between yourself, United Cutlery (which has changed hands since,) and the collecting community, was still basically the same. Your response indicates that it is, and that's perfectly ok. Just wanted to know what our role is in all of this was, if any, aside from being consumers. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

[quote=""N2darkness""]Upon takeing my Orcrist off the rack to take photo's for a review I found a rather large crack/flake on the handle, already asked for a replacement.[/quote]

Someone I know ordered one and he said the handle was cracked when he opened it. He is sending his back too. Maybe Kit can comment on the durability of the material they are using on the handle? Or if he has heard of any other cases like this.

Great... :rolleye:

What truly sucks about this is that the customer is usually on the hook for shipping charges. Nearly all companies are fine with returns, but not on this little technicality. For those of us that are international customers, returning something and then having a replacement item shipped back gets very e xp ensive, very fast.

It's too late for us, but I hope UC takes note of this problem and starts inspecting the handles on these things a little more closely. :|
This Space for Rent

This sounds like they did not inspect them at all. The material spec'd is the same as what I have used dozens of times before on my sword handles and several Gil Hibben and UC product handles. Never had any cracking issues before, so something is going. I'm sure UC knows already, but I just emailed them.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]This sounds like they did not inspect them at all. [/quote]

Oh rats, I hope this is not a recurring inspection problem for UC.

This may or may not be related, but a while back I tried to pick up [what I thought was] one of the new runs of Legolas' fighting knives. I was super bummed to open up the box and find a big scratch across the front of the wall plaque and the lower half of the Elven vine completely missing on the right blade. I of course had to send it back because I would never be happy seeing it on my wall and remembering my disappointment. :(

BUT, hopefully just a fluke thing. I've always been happy with my other UC items. :)

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Well, that's just great. Lindir is probably having a seizure right now. :crazy: [/quote]

I've had several :'(

I was hoping that if I went back to sleep, these posts wouldn't be here when I woke up, maybes they were part of some terrible nightmare. I was wrong :|

Thing is, the store I've got mine ordered from is only getting enough Orcrists in to fill the first lot of their pre-orders, so if mine is cracked... I may e xp lode... I'll probably take out most of the UK with me. You'll see it on your news channels in a few weeks :P

Much as I love UC, have in the past, and will continue to buy their replicas, QC remains their one department that leaves a lot to be desired. Defects are bound to happen, but these should be limited to a few isolated cases per product, yet we have seen a few screw ups by UC that should never have left the warehouse, yet someone obviously had to ok them. Gandalf the White Staff, I'm looking at you. Then there's post facto issues, like the Elven Knife pommel, which Kit e xp lained was the epoxy used not reacting well to cold (if I remember correctly.) However, there is tons they have done right, so let's hope Orcrist's handle issue does not turn into an epidemic.

Still, whoever is doing QC, or not as the case may be, needs a swift kick in the rear, or perhaps a new job. All these returns can't be good for any company's bottom line.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Nasnandos""]This sounds like they did not inspect them at all. The material spec'd is the same as what I have used dozens of times before on my sword handles and several Gil Hibben and UC product handles. Never had any cracking issues before, so something is going. I'm sure UC knows already, but I just emailed them.[/quote]

I just inspected mine and it appears to be fine, perfectly smooth, no cracks. Hate that you keep getting these defects, N2. First Rivendell, now this. :(

Thanks, as they're probably gonna make a million of these I don't think I'll have a problem getting a good one. Having Kit email UC helps put my mind at ease as well. Rivendell is a whole other issue all together and still puts a bad taste in my mouth over the whole e xp erience, and keeps me a little guarded on ordering statues from Weta now.

This question is directed at Kit, but anyone with advice, feel free to answer. What is the best way to clean/polish the Orcrist Sword? Someone I know used metal glo and the blue around the inscription on the blade came off. I have used metal glo in the past on some of my other swords (Glamdring, Anduril, and Sting) and it worked great. Now I am afraid to use it on the Orcrist.

[quote=""Elf_Friend""]This question is directed at Kit, but anyone with advice, feel free to answer. What is the best way to clean/polish the Orcrist Sword? Someone I know used metal glo and the blue around the inscription on the blade came off. I have used metal glo in the past on some of my other swords (Glamdring, Anduril, and Sting) and it worked great. Now I am afraid to use it on the Orcrist.[/quote]

I have heard of this problem too. It makes all that work that Kit put into getting the colour on the runes right seem really pointless if its just going to easily come off like that

I was thinking maybes Renwax may help to protect the paint. But that could also remove it :|

I think if you just use it on the parts of the blade that dont have the paint on it should be fine. Kit will probably have a better answer though

You absolutely don't want to use Metal Glo, or similar products like Flitz, on the etched/colored part Orcrist blade. Same with the Legolas blades, or any blade with a deep etched and color filled art. Metal Glo is one of the best products on the market to clean and polish steel, but it is formulated to remove just about anything from steel, even some electroplatings and oxide coatings, and will certainly remove enamel paint.

Waxing the blade is another option to protect it, but these are stainless blades and not a lot is going to happen unless it is left in an enclosed damp or wet place for several weeks. In general, for cleaning or removing finger prints, all you need to do is wipe the blade down with a damp cloth, or a lightly oiled cloth. If you are actually using Metal Glo as a micro polish to enhance the metal finish, you can use it as long as you don't get near the etched part, but you have to be careful.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Ugh...I hate to potentially add to Lindir's Grand Mal count, but I opened my new Orcrist as soon as I got home tonight and discovered hairline fractures running almost the entire length of the handle (top & bottom edges). I logged on here immediately and did a search for "Orcrist handle cracked"...and here I am. So, it seems it is becoming an epidemic. Here's hoping the added "package" insurance I paid for results in an easy replacement process. :(

[quote=""polyphemus""]Ugh...I hate to potentially add to Lindir's Grand Mal count, but I opened my new Orcrist as soon as I got home tonight and discovered hairline fractures running almost the entire length of the handle (top & bottom edges). I logged on here immediately and did a search for "Orcrist handle cracked"...and here I am. So, it seems it is becoming an epidemic. Here's hoping the added "package" insurance I paid for results in an easy replacement process. :( [/quote]

Where did you order from? I just got my replacement last week and no cracked handle, but does have some minor scrapes and scratches on the hilt. It seems there is some small issues with all of my UC swords. Who wants a pristine sword anyways right?

[quote=""polyphemus""]Ugh...I hate to potentially add to Lindir's Grand Mal count, but I opened my new Orcrist as soon as I got home tonight and discovered hairline fractures running almost the entire length of the handle (top & bottom edges). I logged on here immediately and did a search for "Orcrist handle cracked"...and here I am. So, it seems it is becoming an epidemic. Here's hoping the added "package" insurance I paid for results in an easy replacement process. :( [/quote]

Per your PM, here are the mold parting lines. These are the marks produced where the two halves of the casting mold come together, not cracks. Some grips with show them more than others, and some may not show them at all.
http://kitrae.net/fantasy/images/Hobbit ... ne%202.jpg
http://kitrae.net/fantasy/images/Hobbit ... ne%201.jpg
KRDS

[quote=""polyphemus""]Ugh...I hate to potentially add to Lindir's Grand Mal count[/quote]

Hehehehe :crazy:

But yeh, at least its not an actual crack on your handle. Have you sent it back already?

Has anyone seen any dodgy knock off replicas from the Hobbit yet? There's still a few LOTR ones going around, but I haven't seen any Hobbit ones. Kit, have you heard or seen anything?
Last edited by Lindir on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, it seems mine is one that shows the mold parting lines rather clearly...as in exactly as shown in the pics Nasnandos posted in response to my slight seizure after inspecting my Orcrist and sending him a PM. :D

There are a few scratches on the pommel as well that may still warrant a replacement, but I fear it would be my luck to get an actual cracked handle and/or worse blemishes should I decide to go through with the exchange process. I spoke with the vendor and they are cool either way...which I thought very nice. They said if opted to keep it, just to inform UPS when they showed up with the call tag that I had changed my mind. No harm, no foul!

I'm still on the fence about the scratches--not to mention that the UPS dolts bounced my box on its ends a few times in transit causing accordion crumpling to the art sleeve and broken corners on the styrofoam inserts. Should I really consider the exchange if the only real issues are some minor (but noticeable) scratches on the pommel and less than pristine packaging?

Any thoughts or advice from the UCForums community greatly appreciated!

It's really up to you. My Orcrist has some pitting/dents on the guard and pommel and I actually quite like it. I think it adds to the piece in a way. There are also a few scratches on the top of my pommel near the diamonds. I was worried about it at first, but like I said I think it adds something to it.

I understand that some collectors like their swords and other replicas to be in pristine condition, but that was just how I felt about the small issues with mine.

My handle creaks when I swing it around, anyone else getting that? I'm just concerned I may damage it. I'm not swinging it around wildly by the way, its just slow swings :P

Ok, so I got home, unboxed the Orcrist, and find it was just those molds lines. In addition, the scratches appeared to be only on the clear coat surface so they will probably buff out....BUT, here's the rub...

When I went ahead and opened up the plaque, I e xp ected to find the COA. There is NO COA! The UC catalog states these include certs. Am I wrong? Is it just missing? Now that I know the sword itself is OK, I really don't want to deal with return/exchange, but I'm also not willing to accept this incomplete if it was supposed to include a Certificate of Authenticity. Does anyone know?

[quote=""polyphemus""]Ok, so I got home, unboxed the Orcrist... When I went ahead and opened up the plaque, I e xp ected to find the COA. There is NO COA! The UC catalog states these include certs. Am I wrong? Is it just missing?... Does anyone know?[/quote]

It definitely comes with a COA. It has descriptive text on one side and map on the other. Sometimes bits are accidentally left out of a box. For example, my Fighting Knives of Legolas came without the little bag of felt pads and mounting hardware. :(
Last edited by Buckeye on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

My original Sting scabbard never came with a COA. Because it was the first scabbard UC did for the line I didn't even know it was supposed to come with one. By the time I realized it was actually missing it was way too late. I didn't buy the new scabbard so I can't comment on it.
This Space for Rent

Both of mine came with COA's. When I was checking my Orcrist again for the the mold lines I also noticed a slight bow to the blade, nothing major but noticeable if looking for it. I have mine displayed on my magnet wall and you'll never see it. I just hope there isn't any more QC issues with UC's new products.

Ok, weird. I spoke with the vendor and they said they would forward me an Orcrist COA immediately. I mentioned that I had heard it described to have descriptive text on one side and a map on the other. I was informed by the customer service rep that she was holding it and it was a one-sided parchment with just the Hobbit Orcrist text and the dwarven-themed bordering.

As for the Sting scabbard COA, I was told there was no COA for the scabbard, only for the sword. So, again, I am confused. For anyone out there that has both the new UC2928 Hobbit Orcrist Sword and the UC2893 Hobbit Sting Scabbard (not the sword), can you tell me definitively that the scabbard comes with a COA? I find it isn't listed with one on most sites that I have checked since last night. Finally, can you tell me whether or not the Orcrist COA is 2-sided depicting a map on the reverse as indicated by Buckeye?

I'm really trying to sort out all these inconsistencies... :huh:

My Orcrist came with a dual sided COA/map, however, my Hobbit Sting Scabbard did not come with a COA; my LotR Sting Scabbard did.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

[quote=""RosereIII""]My Orcrist came with a dual sided COA/map, however, my Hobbit Sting Scabbard did not come with a COA; my LotR Sting Scabbard did.[/quote]

As Roserelli also confirmed, it's absolutely a two-sided COA. I was looking at my copy as I typed last night's response.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Yep, it is supposed to be a dual-sided COA. It seems when I spoke to United Cutlery last night and inquired about the missing COA, they contacted "creative" who quickly printed one up for them to send to me. Thing is, neither the CSR I was speaking to or the dude in "creative" bothered to notice is was supposed to be printed front and back.

I called back today after getting additional definitive replies, was put on hold again while they conferred with "creative," and, finally, I was thanked for bringing the oversight to their attention, assured my 2-sided COA would be mailed out ASAP. So, it seems I'll be receiving an extra single-sided cert. So, I guess it will still all work out. It does strike me as sad that we as collectors already know more about these new items than the folks producing and selling them! :thumbs_up

I'm not about to search this thread to find out if there have been comments about Orcrist's scabbard design.
As much as many of you may be shocked at this, I just watched the Hobbit for the second time on DVD. The first being at the theater 5 months ago.
I notice that Orcrist's scabbard is the dumbest design of all time. Who makes a scabbard that cuts your fingers open when you hold it in hand and pull out the sword?
Apparently common sense is going out the window at WETA in many ways.

That's just the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
I guess I'll be making my own version for that so my friends don't find out the hard way when they check it out.

Here, hold this scabbard nice and tight and then yank out the sword.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Hey Thranduil. The scabbard being open at the side has been discussed here before but not in great detail. I personally don't mind it being open. There are a couple of swords in the lord of the rings that have open side scabbards and they are Haldir's sword and hadhafang. Hadhafang's scabbard isn't open as much as Haldir's sword or Orcrist though. I believe there may also be historical examples of open scabbards.

I kinda have to agree with Thranduil on this. A scabbard like that is a big hazard to its user unless strapped to one's back, where you wouldn't be gripping it with your off-hand to draw the blade as you would at your waist. Now, because the blade is large for a dwarf, Thorin does wear it on his back, making the open scabbard design plausible. However, Orcrist is an elven blade originally so that design would be highly dangerous for the much taller elves. I suppose the argument from Weta would be that elves are too careful for that or, like that tooth hilt, the scabbard is not original to the sword and was made by the same dwarves that made the hilt and wore the sword on their backs. A thin premise, but then so was the idea of the tooth.
This Space for Rent

Perhaps Ecthelion also carried Orcrist over his back?

I believe it is the original elven scabbard though as its in the same style as the other elven sword scabbards where they follow the shape of the blade and usually have an opening at the side to allow the blade to slide out.

I'm guessing Haldir's sword won't be much of a problem because the opening doesn't go as far down as the one on the Orcrist scabbard.

Thranduil, how do you plan on tackling the scabbard? If you remove the opening at the side it's going to be one really wide scabbard

[quote=""Lindir""]Thranduil, how do you plan on tackling the scabbard? If you remove the opening at the side it's going to be one really wide scabbard[/quote]
The need for an open scabbard on such a sword as this is obviously needed, but it would open on the back side.
I'm thinking of the same look as the current scabbard with an open back side and a simple clasp on it that pops out to allow the sword to be pulled (if my wording makes sense).
Val is right that any elf would carry this on their side rather than their back. Normally, someone drawing their sword would grab the scabbard and then pull, the hand that grabs the scabbard would flick the clasp & the other hand draw it out.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”