Re: Orcrist Revealed

Would making it a limited edition work? I know some people won't be happy, but it was just a thought I had. I dont think that many people would mind if you decided to go down the plastic route as long as it doesn't fall apart easily.

Out of interest, how were the throat and tip on the Sting scabbard manufactured?
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]Would making it a limited edition work? I know some people won't be happy, but it was just a thought I had. I dont think that many people would mind if you decided to go down the plastic route as long as it doesn't fall apart easily....[/quote]

Hate to disagree with you EG, but I would mind very much if they made parts of the sword with plastic. :angry:

So much so that I wouldn't even consider buying it. :P

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]Would making it a limited edition work? [/quote]That's one of the options we are looking at - A limited ed sword and scabbard combo to justify the cost. Even if we do that, the sword would still be sold as a stand alone replica with the display. Nothing is set in stone yet.

The Sting scabbard metal hardware was die cast as individual parts. That's rather easy. Orcrist's scabbard is not.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
KRDS

[quote=""Deimos""]Hate to disagree with you EG, but I would mind very much if they made parts of the sword with plastic. :angry:

So much so that I wouldn't even consider buying it. :P [/quote]

We were talking about the scabbard, Deimos. If you go back onto the last page you'll see what we were discussing :)

[quote=""Nasnandos""]That's one of the options we are looking at - A limited ed sword and scabbard combo to justify the cost. Even if we do that, the sword would still be sold as a stand alone replica with the display. Nothing is set in stone yet.

The Sting scabbard metal hardware was die cast as individual parts. That's rather easy. Orcrist's scabbard is not.[/quote]

I think that sounds like a sensible idea. Not everyone will be after the scabbard but it gives those who do want it a chance at least.

If you did go the plastic route for the scabbard parts, how strong would it be? My fear is that if I dropped it (accidents happen) it may crack or completely break the details.

I'm putting extra money away for this. Looking forward to seeing how the UC replica turns out.
Last edited by Lindir on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]We were talking about the scabbard, Deimos. If you go back onto the last page you'll see what we were discussing :) [/quote]

ooops...sorry...my bad. :embarasse

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]I think that sounds like a sensible idea. Not everyone will be after the scabbard but it gives those who do want it a chance at least.

If you did go the plastic route for the scabbard parts, how strong would it be? My fear is that if I dropped it (accidents happen) it may crack or completely break the details.

I'm putting extra money away for this. Looking forward to seeing how the UC replica turns out.[/quote]
Are there any decent pictures of this scabbard available?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

If I had my way, no one would see any of them until just before the film comes out :)

I got some good news today. I found out UC got an extension on the LOTR license as part of The Hobbit license, so there may be some new LOTR replicas in the next few years. I doubt there will be any tooling intensive real swords added to the line, but a few items, like the long proposed Sauron mace, may finally get made. It would be hard resin, like the Sauron and Witchking helms, though a much heavier weight. In other words, exactly like the Weta prop.

It would be an exact casting of the prop with a steel under structure, metal powder coated parts, then painted and weathered. I looked at a test today (not the mace, but something similar) and watched several people fooled into thinking they were looking at a real weapon until they picked it up. It's not as cold as steel so that's the give away, but otherwise it was very convincing.

Anyone who bought UC's Darksiders sword replica has an idea of what I'm talking about. That one looked and felt like real steel, minus the weight. These new projects will have the weight of steel. This will allow a few items to be made that otherwise would not be possible, including a few of the Dwarven Hobbit swords and a few of the oversized war hammers and a mace.

Hopefully the second Gandalf staff from LOTR and possibly one of the bows will get in the mix too. Probably wishful thinking on my part, but they DID extend the license.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]...[G]ood news today. I found out UC got an extension on the LOTR license as part of The Hobbit license, so there may be some new LOTR replicas in the next few years. I doubt there will be any tooling intensive real swords added to the line, but a few items, like the long proposed Sauron mace, may finally get made.... Probably wishful thinking on my part, but they DID extend the license.[/quote]

Kit, are you breaking it to us gently that Guthwine --an extremely "tooling intensive" sword --- is not likely to be made this time around either? :(

Ha, ha. Actually I want Haldir's sword before Guthwine's, but neither of those are going to happen. It is mostly non sword items in discussion, mainly as a group of true "prop replicas", not anything remotely funtional. The Hobbit is the main focus, so these will probably be small limited edition runs.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Ha, ha. Actually I want Haldir's sword before Guthwine's, but neither of those are going to happen...[/quote]

Sticklebats! ...and other unprintable words. :angry:

[quote=""Nasnandos""]If I had my way, no one would see any of them until just before the film comes out :)

I got some good news today. I found out UC got an extension on the LOTR license as part of The Hobbit license, so there may be some new LOTR replicas in the next few years. I doubt there will be any tooling intensive real swords added to the line, but a few items, like the long proposed Sauron mace, may finally get made. It would be hard resin, like the Sauron and Witchking helms, though a much heavier weight. In other words, exactly like the Weta prop.

It would be an exact casting of the prop with a steel under structure, metal powder coated parts, then painted and weathered. I looked at a test today (not the mace, but something similar) and watched several people fooled into thinking they were looking at a real weapon until they picked it up. It's not as cold as steel so that's the give away, but otherwise it was very convincing.

Anyone who bought UC's Darksiders sword replica has an idea of what I'm talking about. That one looked and felt like real steel, minus the weight. These new projects will have the weight of steel. This will allow a few items to be made that otherwise would not be possible, including a few of the Dwarven Hobbit swords and a few of the oversized war hammers and a mace.

Hopefully the second Gandalf staff from LOTR and possibly one of the bows will get in the mix too. Probably wishful thinking on my part, but they DID extend the license.[/quote]

Wow! Kit you just made my day. I was very bummed when the mace was never made, as I always wanted to complete the Sauron collection and if you throw in Gandalf's staff as well, I better start saving now.

Last edited by Nasnandos on Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bad news on Haldir's sword, Guthwine, and Hadhafang's scabbard, three items I REALLY wanted, but great news on Sauron's Mace, which I wanted way before any of that other stuff.

Now... if only someone at UC could be talked into making Aeglos... :|

I know, I know, it only got about .5 seconds of screentime, but have you guys ever seen this thing?

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=aiglos&um ... ,r:10,s:47

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=gil-galad ... 29,r:6,s:0
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Bad news on Haldir's sword, Guthwine, and Hadhafang's scabbard, three items I REALLY wanted, but great news on Sauron's Mace, which I wanted way before any of that other stuff.

I know, I know, it only got about .5 seconds of screentime, but have you guys ever seen this thing?

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=gil-galad ... 29,r:6,s:0[/quote]
No I've never seen it, but it's a pretty sweet piece :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Valkrist""]Bad news on Haldir's sword, Guthwine, and Hadhafang's scabbard, three items I REALLY wanted, but great news on Sauron's Mace, which I wanted way before any of that other stuff.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=gil-galad ... 29,r:6,s:0[/quote]

I have the prop. It is huge. Around 10' or 11'. Even if it had gotten more screen time, we could not have made it like the prop, and the shaft would have had to be broken into three sections. The raised blade vine work actually flows from the blade into and around the shaft. It would have required an ugly break where the blade joined the handle. It is seamless and blended. Still, it is a beautiful prop. I need to snap off some pictures of it and post them one day.
KRDS

You know Kit, I would never e xp ect a replica of Aeglos to be anywhere near functional, so the thought of having the shaft split into three screw-on sections doesn't bother me at all. I mean, Gandalf's and Saruman's staves already came in two pieces right?

I can't speak for the other issues with the design but I'm sure you would have been able to come up with a reasonable compromise while preserving the essential beauty of the replica that would really just be hanging on a wall and not being handled that much. All of this I would be willing to overlook just to own this beautiful weapon, but I know it's not going to happen so I will just fantasize about it. ;)

Yes, pics of the prop would be fantastic! :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Aeglos has always been my most desired replica from LotR. I want it soooo bad, being a huge fan of the Silmarillion and elven weaponry in general. The thing is a tank of a weapon. :coolsmile

Good news about the other Gandalf staff, Kit! Bad news for the space on my wall, but good news in the long run. :crazy:
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Valkrist""]
I can't speak for the other issues with the design but I'm sure you would have been able to come up with a reasonable compromise while preserving the essential beauty of the replica that would really just be hanging on a wall and not being handled that much.[/quote]

The only choice would have been to cast the whole thing in zinc or aluminum. No way to do a real steel blade since it blends right into the staff cap, with welded vine work on top. The art is not as detailed as some of the other props, probably because it was never intended to be shown up close, but it is still quite impressive. I measured it and it is 9', so not as long as I thought.

I dropped a few pix here.
http://www.ucforums.com/showthread.php? ... #post80449
KRDS

Very impressive display, Kit. Makes me all the more sad that we can't get Aeglos because it looks truly magnificent. :(

I couldn't help but notice the floor stand that you have displaying the Elven Warrior Sword. Was that custom-made by you, something Weta sent you, or a prototype display that UC considered at one point before going with the wall plaque we have now?
This Space for Rent

Hey kit,

I'm assuming that Thranduil's sword and most of the other elven weaponry is again curved (I'm so glad Orcrist wasn't curved) is there any chance of any hand forged versions beind made?

I've e xp ressed my hatred many times for this crappy law we have over here that was introduced in 2008. I keep ranting on about it and most people on here know how much I despise it and agree that its the most ridiculous, pathetic... well you get the point. :angry:

The law basically states that any stainless steel curved sword with a blade length of 50cm or more can't be sold in the UK. I know UC does straight bladed versions of some of their katanas for sellers over here, but I think it takes that special something away from it. Just wish the stupid law would be scrapped but it doesn't look like its going to happen :'(

Thranduil's sword is one I am really interested in even though no one has seen it yet but its still on my list. So, is there any chance of this sword having a limited edition hand forged run alongisde a normal release? or is that simply too much to hope for?

Is this law affecting UC in anyway, like financial problems or anything like that? I know everyone has financial problems but was just curious if this was impacting in anyway on its own

[quote=""Magneticone""]Has anyone heard rumor of , or is anyone interested in Gil-Galad's Elven Shield being made ?[/quote]

I've wanted one of those since the first day I laid eyes on it. I don't believe it will ever be made though; the detail could be difficult to mass produce at a decent price and we already have the standard shield.

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]Hey kit,

I'm assuming that Thranduil's sword and most of the other elven weaponry is again curved (I'm so glad Orcrist wasn't curved) is there any chance of any hand forged versions beind made?[/quote]
It is not even being considered at this time, at least not until we see film 1. As far as functional, we don't have all the cool Numenorian LOTR swords this time.

As I said above, some of the weapons that don't lend themselves to being made as real steel production versions may not be made in real steel at all. They will be hard resin. I know the "prop replica" collectors will love them, but probably not the sword collectors. They will look even more accurate to the sword props than the steel bladed UC replicas, but will not be even remotely functional.

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]I've e xp ressed my hatred many times for this crappy law we have over here that was introduced in 2008. I keep ranting on about it and most people on here know how much I despise it and agree that its the most ridiculous, pathetic... well you get the point. :angry:

The law basically states that any stainless steel curved sword with a blade length of 50cm or more can't be sold in the UK. I know UC does straight bladed versions of some of their katanas for sellers over here, but I think it takes that special something away from it. Just wish the stupid law would be scrapped but it doesn't look like its going to happen :'(

Thranduil's sword is one I am really interested in even though no one has seen it yet but its still on my list. So, is there any chance of this sword having a limited edition hand forged run alongisde a normal release? or is that simply too much to hope for?

Is this law affecting UC in anyway, like financial problems or anything like that? I know everyone has financial problems but was just curious if this was impacting in anyway on its own[/quote]

It obviously killed Samurai swords, and many other sword e xp orts to the UK completely. To be honest, those cheap $20-30 China Samurai swords were well on the way to killing that whole market anyway. It is flooded with that cheap stuff. Samurai swords are essentially a dead market in the US right now. I know many dealers that tell me even the high end CAS and Cold Steel stuff does not sell. They are coming for your knives next, so beware.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KRDS

I hate living in the UK sometimes :'( its all these idiots who just go around asking for certain things to be made illegal coz they get a kick out if it

Honestly, GET A GRIP!!!! :angry:
thank you for the reply, Kit! I am considering moving to the US just so I can get my hands on Hadhafang and any other curved bladed movie replicas I want :crazy:

Kit do you think Orcrist will be fine to be sold in the UK? Like you said its a straight bladed sword but Val said a while back that because its curved along one edge it may create a problem.

Oh and for Thranduil and anyone else interested these are some screenshots I did from the 3D video blog of Orcrist. The last photo of Bilbo and Thorin you can see the tip of the scabbard sticking out from the lower part of Thorin's back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lindir on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]

Kit do you think Orcrist will be fine to be sold in the UK? Like you said its a straight bladed sword but Val said a while back that because its curved along one edge it may create a problem.[/quote]
The law sates a curved blade of 50cm or more, so they can easily say this is not legal. I'll ask some sellers I know in the UK to see what they think.

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]
Oh and for Thranduil and anyone else interested these are some screenshots I did from the 3D video blog of Orcrist. The last photo of Bilbo and Thorin you can see the tip of the scabbard sticking out from the lower part of Thorin's back.[/quote]
I was wondering when someone would make screen grabs of those. You can see the grip of the Elvish pommel a bit in one of those screen caps too, but unfortunately none of the detail or decoration. Seeing the whole sword in the scabbard is impressive. It's a thing of beauty.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Its these photos where I realised that one side of the scabbard is opened. I know you cant confirm it, but I can see it. The whole thing looks more elegant together. When we see the blade in full in the video diary I felt that it looked quite thick at the top but I think that was mainly due to the angle of the particular shot.

When I look at it, it seems to me that Orcrist and Sting were made for the same Elf

Fingers crossed that Orcrist will be legal. Its like a falchion and we can have falchions over here, so hopefully it should be fine

I may email customs and see what happens, I'd rather be let down now instead of later when everyone is receiving their Orcrist replicas :(
Last edited by Lindir on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Nasnandos""].... I don't think there will be much demand for functional blades, other than Orcrist. UC is allowed to do them this time though, so it all depends...[/quote]

Kit, will Orcrist be a limited run or an unlimited run -- or don't you know / not allowed to say?
Last edited by Deimos on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Deimos""]Kit, will Orcrist be a limited run or an unlimited run -- or don't you know / not allowed to say?[/quote]
I'll take a guess and say it will follow in the footsteps of Anduril;
Unlimited, Limited, & MSSC.

I hope you are wrong, Thranduil.

As a buyer of a Limited Anduril, the whole decision to then do an Unlimited run of the same sword left a really bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. I understand the decision from UC's business perspective but it was a dirty trick to play on collectors and it really made the "Limited" value of the sword a pointless thing in the end.

So please, Kit, if you have any influence in this decision, just one version of Orcrist please (UC has nothing to do with a possible Master Smith Collection version.)
This Space for Rent

Kit said earlier in the thread that they may do a limited edition combo of Orcrist and the scabbard if they couldn't bring the costs for the production of the scabbard down to something reasonable.

Thats probably the only limited edition we'll get if they can't overcome the costing problems with the scabbard unless the decide to do some sort of hand forged version

Is there any update on the scabbard yet Kit or are you still trying to figure it all out?

EG, I'm perfectly ok with the sword+scabbard combo idea as a limited edition so long as there is absolutely no difference between the Orcrist in that deal and the one that will inevitably be sold by itself.

I really don't think there is a need for two versions of the sword otherwise, which will just muddy the waters in terms of value, scarcity, and create a lot of confusion in people's minds.

If you're going to make an item Limited, then leave it that way, don't cheapen it later by creating an Unlimited run with only one or two very minor differences on the actual sword. Or, at the very least, if there are plans to make more than one version, please be upfront about it so that people can make a choice when the time comes to wait for one version or the other, rather than rush out and spend their money on the first run that comes out, only to find out later there may be a "different," "fancier," "hand-forged," or "cheaper" version being made.

A good example of this tactic was Sam's sword. Though I disagree in them marketing the e xp ensive version as being part of the Museum Collection, at least they told us right away there would be two versions of the sword being put out at the same time, and that the differences were not negligible. People had a choice in that case, the LE Anduril buyers did not.
Last edited by Valkrist on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
This Space for Rent

That's all months and months away from being worked out and decided. It takes a long time to do the pre production work and r&d for anything that is not a standard sword or scabbard.

As I said before, official announcements about what will actually be made won't come from UC until later this year, but some of the options I talked about here are what is being discussed and worked on now. UC has the final say and Warner Bros needs to approve, et cetera, but as details get finalized I'll post some updates.

[quote=""Valkrist""]
So please, Kit, if you have any influence in this decision, just one version of Orcrist please (UC has nothing to do with a possible Master Smith Collection version.)[/quote]

If the films are successful I seriously doubt UC will only do one version of Orcrist. Right now, Orcrist is not going to be limited, but if the market and consumer demand are there (and it will be, trust me), UC and WB/New Line are definitely going to want to do some type of special limited edition version later.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]That's all months and months away from being worked out and decided. It takes a long time to do the pre production work and r&d for anything that is not a standard sword or scabbard.

As I said before, official announcements about what will actually be made won't come from UC until later this year, but some of the options I talked about here are what is being discussed and worked on now. UC has the final say and Warner Bros needs to approve, et cetera, but as details get finalized I'll post some updates.

[/quote]

Thanks Kit! For some reason I assumed it would all be sorted out in under a week, what on earth was I thinking, God help me :crazy2:

Looking forward to updates though when the become available! :thumbs_up

I guess for me, the biggest take away from what Kit just said is that the original run of Orcrist is not going to be limited (or so he speculates.)

That, to myself as a collector, is the clincher and reveals a lot. Basically what it tells me is that I don't have to rush out and buy it and be worried that I won't get one because it won't be a Limited item. It also gives me the option of purchasing the better, Limited version later when it comes out. If it does not, for whatever reason, then I can always still get the regular version because, not being Limited, there should still be plenty left. Makes sense?

So, the key here is that this is a reverse of the Anduril situation, and I'm ok with this: I have a choice to wait, rather than to be pushed into running out to get the Limited version first, and then find out later there is a common version and that my Limited edition is suddenly not so special anymore.

My only concern is that my stance, if adopted by many others, may hurt sales of the original, unlimited Orcrist. If people are waiting for a Limited or MC version down the line, they may be reluctant to spend money on the regular version. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have a money-tree in my backyard, and I'm not really keen on owning multiple versions of the same sword anyway. As I stated before, I hope UC gives us some forewarning of their plans, but I certainly do understand what Kit said insofar as much of this has to be a wait-and-see approach based on the success of the movies and sales of the first version of the sword. I just hope that first version is the unlimited one.
This Space for Rent

I had no idea that Anduril came out in that order. I can understand why you'd be upset by that Val.

I had assumed that sales of Anduril unlimited were so good they then did the limited version. I was a late comer to all this.
No clue about any collectors items until late 2004/early 2005? Walking by a knife shop in a mall and saw Narsil. Paid top dollar for my first few swords, and then, thank God, a Bud-K catalog showed up in my mail box.

I proceeded to jump on the a$$ kicking machine for a few weeks screaming bloody murder, but I got over it eventually.
Then UC went bankrupt, everything went to clearance pricing, and I jumped back on the machine.

I often put my head in my hands when some of you mention what you paid for some of your pieces. :viking:

Thanks for understanding a bit where I'm coming from, Thran.

Here's my theory on what happened with Anduril, based in part on some comments made by Kit at the time:

UC had already put out Narsil and the Shards of Narsil, but the upcoming Anduril, which had not yet been revelead in the movies at the time, was probably not going to be much different than the original Narsil. I think the thought was that owners of Narsil and the Shards probably wouldn't be interested in owning a sword that was virtually identical save for the runes on the blade and pommel, and thus UC made the decision to release Anduril as a Limited Edition sword as interest would probably be low but the diehard collector's could be catered to and would be able to own the three versions of the iconic sword.

Well, lo and behold, interest in the LOTR collectibles was soaring at the time and the 5000 Limited Andurils got snapped up in no time. It was a no-brainer for the bean-counters at UC to realize that they had a winner on their hands. So what do you do when the LE run is over but there is still a huge demand for the item? You release an unlimited version.

The decision was great for UC from a business perspective, but for the collectors who struggled and paid premium for a LE Anduril, the release of the unlimited version was a huge disappointment because it completely devalued and ruined the uniqueness of the Limited Version. Sure it's still numbered, has the gold paint and different plaque, and the signed COA, but it's essentially the same sword that everyone now owns. I won't lie to you: I felt cheated and I know for a fact that many others did also. This is why I would like for UC to consider this issue a little next time and not repeat the same trick with Orcrist. Release the unlimited first and then decide whether there will be a special version later. I think the goodwill of your customers should be just as important as sales numbers.
This Space for Rent

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”