Re: Orcrist Revealed

I can definitely sympathize with you Val about Anduril. I got a limited Anduril as soon as it was released and was seriously pissed when they came out with a non-limited edition a shortly after. Had I known it was going to happen that way I probably would have just gotten Glamdring, but it is what it is. Years later I now have and enjoy both and I really only got them for my personal enjoyment, not their value.

I know that's a personal Decision but i had both swords last year.
unfortunately i've sold both last year and now i have only the shards left.
I was going for those four swords and i was planning to hangh them on the wall in order like they came out.
Now i am back as a collector and i'm looking for all the swords ever been made till i have them all on my walls in my special hobby room.
Anduril regular was the first UC sword i bought and it had a special place in my heart,every single day i think of that sword and i regret so much but it's sold and there is nothing i can do about it,a couple houers ago i saw the same sword for just 100 euro and i'm now in contact with the seller for buying that sword,as for the Anduril LE it is a very beautiful sword to me and i know 2 people that want to sell there LE ,one seller asks 500 euro and the other one asks 650 euro.
The first seller is willing to let the sword go for me for 500 euro but i have to buy the Ringwraith on steed as well also 500 euro and that's 1000 euro,that's even for me at this moment a bit to much,i have to save some money first,i hope the guy can give me some time.
This week,the day after tommorow i will received the Gauntlet of Sauron with a very low edition number and i hope probably by the end of this week i will received my two MC swords. :thumbs_up
Last edited by Dark Shadow on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Some bad new for us in the UK. I emailed a sword retailer last night asking if they thought Orcrist would be allowed in the UK and this is the reply I got:

The law states "single edge curved steel steels over 50cm". Double edge swords would be fine, as the law clearly states single edge.
Although "made using traditional methods" is permitted the*LOTR swords may not be made in a traditional methods. We will not be selling this sword.

Now I really hope that UC do a hand forged version :'(
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

It was due to a large number of attacks with Samurai swords. So the law was intorduced to try and prevent them happening. But like Thranduil and others have said, if someone really wants to kill another person, they can easily pick up a knife from the kitchen. So it hasn't stopped anything at all and good people who have no intention of using it as an actual weapon to hurt someone lose out on collecting wonderful pieces such as this.

Brilliant! :thumbs_up

Just an update on the UK legality of Orcrist. UC has talked with a few UK dealers and they think it will be OK, but UK customs is not consistent. UC is doing some more research, but my gut tells me that since it will be marketed as a collectible, and since it will be false edged, they will let it pass. Even though it does not technically fit the description of the banned weapons, no one really knows until they try importing it.

[quote=""Valkrist""]
Here's my theory on what happened with Anduril, based in part on some comments made by Kit at the time:

UC had already put out Narsil and the Shards of Narsil, but the upcoming Anduril, which had not yet been revelead in the movies at the time, was probably not going to be much different than the original Narsil. I think the thought was that owners of Narsil and the Shards probably wouldn't be interested in owning a sword that was virtually identical save for the runes on the blade and pommel, and thus UC made the decision to release Anduril as a Limited Edition sword as interest would probably be low but the diehard collector's could be catered to and would be able to own the three versions of the iconic sword.

Well, lo and behold, interest in the LOTR collectibles was soaring at the time and the 5000 Limited Andurils got snapped up in no time. It was a no-brainer for the bean-counters at UC to realize that they had a winner on their hands. So what do you do when the LE run is over but there is still a huge demand for the item? You release an unlimited version.

The decision was great for UC from a business perspective, but for the collectors who struggled and paid premium for a LE Anduril, the release of the unlimited version was a huge disappointment because it completely devalued and ruined the uniqueness of the Limited Version. Sure it's still numbered, has the gold paint and different plaque, and the signed COA, but it's essentially the same sword that everyone now owns. I won't lie to you: I felt cheated and I know for a fact that many others did also. This is why I would like for UC to consider this issue a little next time and not repeat the same trick with Orcrist. Release the unlimited first and then decide whether there will be a special version later. I think the goodwill of your customers should be just as important as sales numbers.[/quote]

Hmmm...I don't think that is quite correct. I don't remember any issues like that at the time the swords were sold back in 2003. I was even doubting my own memory in the past couple of years after reading posts like yours on a few forums. What I remember is a lot of talk on the forums about which version to get, and A LOT of people pissed off that they did not get an LE version when they sold out so fast. I leaked on a couple of forums that there would be two versions long before any UC customers even had any info about them. I developed both versions at the same time and UC announced them to distributors up front. They were well aware there was a John Howe autograph version and a standard version, and the other differences. I won't bore anyone with the details, unless someone really wants to know, but I actually still have all of the catalogs, specs sheets, and marketing plan notes from those days.
KRDS

Oh that gives me a little bit of hope. I tried to get in touch with customs directly but that was a load of crap, I can't even find the right email address. A member on here said he had managed to import a high elven warrior sword to the UK and he believed it was because it is clearly stated on the box that it is a display sword.

Well, Kit, I did say it was a theory of mine, and when I mentioned "your comments" on the issue, I was referring to what basically amounted to a business decision by UC in releasing two versions of the sword in order to maximize profits on what was clearly a popular blade.

Where I disagree is with if and how the collectors/buyers were informed that there would indeed be two versions. I certainly don't recall hearing ahead of time about it, and I certainly wouldn't be as cross about the issue if it had been made very clear up front that there would be two versions of the sword. I don't doubt your words when you say you leaked the info and developed the two versions at the same time, but they most definitely did not hit store shelves at the same time and I will affirm again there was no knowledge among us buyers that there was to be another version, not until a bit later. I remember hounding my retailer about what was coming next, seeing the order sheets, and as far as Anduril was concerned, only the LE version existed, and that was all that was advertised. If the distributors knew ahead of time, they kept quiet about it. To be honest, I don't think the LE would have sold so screamingly fast if people were aware there was an Unlimited version just around the corner. Many rushed to buy one of the 5000 because they saw that as their only chance to own an Anduril.

At any rate, I apologize, Kit, if it seems like I am belaboring an old point. Obviously you were literally 'there' so your recollection is better than mine. I just don't want to see a repeat of the issue with Orcrist because the memory of Anduril is still with me (clearly!) ;)
This Space for Rent

Well, Val, if it makles you feel any better, I'm still planning on shelling out half a grand for the Limited Edition Anduril someday, because it still holds value to those of us truly interested. ;)

EG, I sincerely hope that you can get some elven weaponry into the UK. I can see how the box being labeled "High Elven Warrior Display Sword" would get it past customs. I used to think that was a cheesy way to label a collectible but if it gets them to our friends in Great Britain, label 'em all that way! :thumbs_up
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]Oh that gives me a little bit of hope. I tried to get in touch with customs directly but that was a load of crap, I can't even find the right email address. A member on here said he had managed to import a high elven warrior sword to the UK and he believed it was because it is clearly stated on the box that it is a display sword.[/quote]

I don't know if we will be doing the packaging for UC, but I'm sure it will say something like "adult collectible" on the box. Maybe it should say "false edged" too. Anything like that will help, so I'll mention it to UC.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Well, Kit, I did say it was a theory of mine, and when I mentioned "your comments" on the issue, I was referring to what basically amounted to a business decision by UC in releasing two versions of the sword in order to maximize profits on what was clearly a popular blade.

Where I disagree is with if and how the collectors/buyers were informed that there would indeed be two versions. I certainly don't recall hearing ahead of time about it, and I certainly wouldn't be as cross about the issue if it had been made very clear up front that there would be two versions of the sword.[/quote]

UC really had no public PR in place, so not much came from them other than press releases to the magazines. I seem to remember a few dealers started taking pre orders before UC officially opened them for pre-sale, then other dealers wanted on board ASAP, and it kind of spiraled out of control. Maybe the dealers did not do such a good job of informing people, and I'm sure a few purposefully held back that info. I don't know. I never had any spare time to pay any attention to what they were doing, but I was told they posted everything else UC or I told them, whether it was confirmed or not. I think some dealers were literally foaming at the mouth to get the jump on the next guy, which is understandable.

The standard version was actually announced to distributors first, then when the John Howe autograph deal was finalized they were told about the standard and the autographed version. I leaked all this myself on a few forums in mid 2003, including the old Fantasy Forum, where the main LOTR weapons community was centered back then. I remember getting into hot water by leaking too much, and having to edit my posts to say there would "probably" be a standard version, just in case UC canceled it. What dealers did not know is that if the LE had not sold out in a years time the standard version would have been canceled. We actually thought it was a big gamble because so many people already owned Narsil. My gut told me they would do fine, but we really did not know. When all 5000 LE's completely sold out by around November, just a few months after the pre sale orders were opened, we were shocked. We did not even have PR or ads in place yet to support the dealer sell through. Nothing like that had ever happened before. The standard version production had to be bumped up, and the autograph version dropped from the catalog before it even went to press.

Hands down, Narsil/Anduril ended up being the most popular LOTR sword, and still is today. More so than even Sting or Glamdring. I predict that long after The Hobbit is done and gone, someone will still hold the license and even if it gets down to just one sword in the line, it will be Anduril.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Thank you for the clarifications, Kit. Whatever else came of it and personal feelings aside, the resounding success of both versions of Anduril surely emboldened UC to probably make a few items down the road that they might have been on the fence about before. So, a silver lining to every cloud, I suppose. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I don't know if we will be doing the packaging for UC, but I'm sure it will say something like "adult collectible" on the box. Maybe it should say "false edged" too. Anything like that will help, so I'll mention it to UC.
[/quote]

I'm glad to hear that UC is looking into it, thanks Kit! Hopefully everything will work out, fingers crossed :)

[quote=""Fingolfin""]
EG, I sincerely hope that you can get some elven weaponry into the UK. I can see how the box being labeled "High Elven Warrior Display Sword" would get it past customs. I used to think that was a cheesy way to label a collectible but if it gets them to our friends in Great Britain, label 'em all that way! [/quote]

Thanks Fin. The Elven stuff, to me, is the best in LOTR and no doubt the Hobbit. It really appeals to me, I remember watching the Weta workshop features on the extended DVD's when I was younger and it really inspired me and it was the Elven stuff that had the biggest impact on me. Elves are my favourite race as well. Weirdest thing is, the only elven replica I own is the sting scabbard. Nearly saved up enough for Glamdring and the scabbard though, I've put off these two for too long. Sting will be next and then hopefully Orcrist.
Last edited by Lindir on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Same with me, EG. One day, I'm going to break into Weta's warehouse and walk off with some Galadhrim Armor and Second Age gear! :P So much awesome stuff just lying around. They really ought to make a film museum to put it all in, after The Hobbit is out.

[quote=""Fingolfin""] They really ought to make a film museum to put it all in, [/quote]
Isn't the Weta Cave just that, a display/store. Seems to me it's full of stuff that's not for sale.

But you are right, if it's not a complete showroom of everything they've made then hopefully they have one in mind to add to the permanent Hobbiton.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Isn't the Weta Cave just that, a display/store. Seems to me it's full of stuff that's not for sale.

But you are right, if it's not a complete showroom of everything they've made then hopefully they have one in mind to add to the permanent Hobbiton.[/quote]

the weta cave dosnt have half as much as went on the exhibit tour
 ! Warning
The signature picture extension is not installed.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They put some cool stuff in The Cave, but it's not nearly as much as the stuff that went on the tour, and that's not nearly all the stuff they have. There's got to be loads of stuff they could put out for us to see. I think it would be a great tourism trap to go along with the Hobbiton attraction.

I wonder if there's really as much stuff as you guys think there is...

You have to remember that on a set of movies that is going on a decade old, there's much that is no longer around. Once final production is over, a lot of props are given away to cast and crew as keepsakes. Then there's the stuff that just "mysteriously" goes missing, and trust me, every movie has those. Some of it does get tracked down and put into use for things like the LOTR Exhibit tour, but then it all goes back to whoever it belonged to previously. Did you guys see Kit's collection? Well, as he said, he used to have a lot more, so think of all the other people out there like him that were lucky enough to get props from the movie. What this all basically amounts to is stuff that Weta no longer has in their possession. So, unless they craft replacements, there's not as much left to display as one might think, and certainly not after ten years. :P
This Space for Rent

I don't know about what they have now, but back when I was in communication with Weta for LOTR, I was told they kept everything, and had all of the props from Weta's entire history, which had to be at least 20 years or more. They made around 50,000 props for LOTR alone, and something like 10,000 of them were weapons. They must one of the massive Indiana Jones/Ark of the Covenant warehouses in NZ!

I know that several props were given to production personnel and various members of the cast, but the majority are kept in storage. I was also told that PJ himself had a huge collection collection. This is one reason why there are very few screen used props that have ever appeared on the after market, and those are usually the odd orc weapon or used Hobbit hobbit feet. Rarely the really impressive pieces.

I don't doubt that a few years from now we may see some of this stuff again on another LOTR/Hobbit prop world tour.
KRDS

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]The only problem with exhibits and museums for me is that if I went to one, I'd try to walk away with everything "secretly" stuffed under my jacket. :crazy: [/quote]
That's why they put them in cases, so little thieves like you surrender temptation at the door :P
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]That's why they put them in cases, so little thieves like you surrender temptation at the door :P [/quote]

Cases won't stop me from getting my hands on them. If I saw Haldir's sword in a case there would be no second thoughts, I'd just use a diamond to cut a large haldir sword size hole into the glass, gently remove it whilst making sure no one is watching and then remove the sword and put the glass back and then walk away. No one will ever notice a thing as it sticks out from the top of my jacket. Its fool proof... then I'll rush back a couple of minutes later after I've realised that I forgot to grab the scabbard. :crazy:

But on a more serious note, my excitement is building for the Hobbit and getting to see all the brilliant Weta props on the big screen again! I don't think I am going to be able to contain it for much longer to be honest.
Last edited by Lindir on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

You see, this is why I like Peter Jackson. Not only does he make movies right, he upholds their legacy right! And who can blame him...I wouldn't mind a giant collection of stuff made by the wizards at Weta.

The elapsed time was me removing drool from my chin at the thought of it.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I disagree, hadhafang is a woman's sword. I think the falcata style its more masculine, and kingly for a dwarf who's pride could be compared to Alexander the great.[/quote]

Actually its Elrond's sword, so that would make it a man's sword used by a woman.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Actually, it was Idril's sword, Elrond's Grandmother, Arwen's Great Grandmother. The translation of the Elvish on the sword is, "this blade is called Hadhafang, a noble defense against the enemy throng for a noble lady."[/quote]

Of course, the sword was never in the book, but this is what PJ's crew came up with in the LOTR Lore.
Last edited by RevAnakin on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Actually, it was Idril's sword, Elrond's mother, Arwen's Grandmother. [/quote]

Uhmmm... no.

Eldron's mother was Elwing, the daughter of Nimloth and Dior. His father was Earendil, who was the son of Idril and Tuor, so the sword would have come to him from his father's side, though, as you pointed out, the sword itself is a fictional creation of PJ's.
This Space for Rent

Just want to make sure the facts are straight. :thumbs_up

But yes, you are correct over N2, in that in PJ's fictional lore for this sword, it was crafted originally for Idril Celebrindal, the daughter of King Turgon of Gondolin, thus making it a woman's blade originally.

Whether the elves actually crafted their blades differently depending on the gender of their future wielder is another argument. Historically (if there is such a precedent as I am not an e xp ert in medieval weapons,) it is theoretically possible that a sword designed specifically for a woman might be lighter and/or have a more elegant design.

Movie-Orcrist seems rather 'brutal' in its design, as it appears very suited for hacking and slashing. I'm not sold on it either, as I have always envisioned it as a sword much closer in design to Glamdring. As it stands, I still can't shake the mental image of an oversized Sting cut in half. :|
This Space for Rent

Yep, totally get what you're saying, and I do own Hadhafang, though not Eoywn's sword.

In fact, what bothers me most about Hadhfang is that it isn't 'real' according to Tolkien lore, but rather a movie invention. I could care less that it was made for a woman as I'm not sexist in the least. Not even implying that's why the argument popped in the first place, just to be clear. :P
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Dark Shadow""]The first photo is that the sword Orcrist ???
And the second photo what's the name of that sword ????

Thanks.[/quote]
The second one is named Machaera. Made by Peter Lyon, one of a kind. Sold for $2499 USD.
Last edited by Thranduil on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

The whole woman sword thing sprung from the falcata debate. In my opinion, when looking at all the lotr swords, they have some basis in real life swords. One of the only famous sword types not used in LOTR was the falcata. It was only a matter of time before some sword was made in this style.
Last edited by RevAnakin on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

For the record, my wife and I don't drink so it definitely wasn't that! :D

Two issues were clear now that I remember. It was literally right when I woke up because my phone buzzed saying I had a new email, so I was totally still half asleep. And the second issue was I was typing ON the phone using SWYPE texting so that would have contributed to the total lack of clarity! Thanks for pointing that out for me. Corrections made!

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]I see Orcrist more as a Falchion than a Falcata[/quote]

True, it is a bit larger than a falcata. But nevertheless, my point still stand that Peter Lyon said he wanted all of the swords to be based in reality or functionality. And we still haven't seen a falchion or falcata.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]True, it is a bit larger than a falcata. But nevertheless, my point still stand that Peter Lyon said he wanted all of the swords to be based in reality or functionality. And we still haven't seen a falchion or falcata.[/quote]

That doesn't mean Peter Lyon always gets his will, it's people like Peter Jackson who always gets the final say with stuff like that. Peter Lyon may have originally envisioned Glamdring with a straight crossguard, before PJ came and said, "no, bend the crossguard".

And although most LOTR weapons are based on real weapons, it doesn't mean that any of them resemble real weapons.

To me Orcrist doesn't really look like either a falchion or a falcata. May have been based on one, but still looks totally different. The hilt and handle parts, for example, and the straight and pointy end. Sort of looks like a stretched out version of this: http://darkcloud.wikia.com/wiki/File:Serpent_Slicer.JPG

Obviously without all the silly ornaments.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

[quote=""Darlak""]That doesn't mean Peter Lyon always gets his will, it's people like Peter Jackson who always gets the final say with stuff like that. Peter Lyon may have originally envisioned Glamdring with a straight crossguard, before PJ came and said, "no, bend the crossguard"..[/quote]

Absolutely, I completely agree, who knows who's idea this was really. My point is we just haven't seen anything like this yet. I guess I don't mind so much because I actually like that it is different. That it is unique. Makes my collection more diverse.

Nonetheless, if the replica comes out and it looks "big and clunky" like an anime sword, I surely will have some quarrel about that.

Speaking of Falcata, this is a recent acquisition of mine:

The blade definitely reminds me of Orcrist. However, a Falcata makes a slight curve downward along the spine of the blade and is generally a shorter sword, or long knife.

I put a couple of pics in the "report your latest acquisition" thread under "Your Collection".
Last edited by Steel Servant on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”