Re: Orcrist Revealed

Or one would simply not grab the scabbard with fingers wrapped around the blade hole where one knows the edge is going to be e xp osed when drawing the sword :) I questioned that design the first time I saw it, but I just examined the scabbard prototype yesterday. When wearing it from the side (as Legolas does in the film 2 clips) and drawing the sword, my hand naturally goes to the wide part of the scabbard, not farther up to the thin neck of the scabbard. The design is also a nice deterrent for an enemy drawing your sword who does not know any better.

If you look at how some of the other Elves and Dwarves wore their swords in TH, you will notice many of them have the blade completely e xp osed. The 'sheaths' are basically like the frog collar on a sword belt, with no actual covering of the blade or edge. Thorin's Dwarven sword blade is almost completely e xp osed when he wears it, as is Kilis sword, and even the Elves, including Thranduil, in the flashback.

For the Dwarven weapons it would not be a danger because they are not intended to be cutting sharp, as evidenced by the edge angle, blade thickness, design, and weight. They are for crushing blows. The elven swords I would e xp ect to be razor sharp. The e xp osed blade there could have simply been because the designers thought it looked cool, or the intent was that these Elves are so skilled and precise in the way they move, and so comfortable with a sword, that they would never position themselves in such a way that they allow the edge to cut them when wearing it. In combat it would always be in the hand.
KRDS

doe to the scabert of orcrist sword ,a scabert whitout an open of the top ,it is imposible ,to take out and dwar youer sword,if worn on youer back.
due to the shape of the sword ,said if the scabbert have the same sabe as the sword.
if sword worn by the hips.it is posible to draw ,and inter the sword ,but takes a lot of skills ,to defined the exakt point.on how to puul the trikker :thumbs_up

So just as I was beginning to accept the 'dragon tooth' handle, I stumbled across an old image by SBG Sword Forum member Lunaman that I had really liked, and decided to give it a little well deserved attention. I had been doing some freelance work in Photoshop today and got bored so I started messing around with some images. Here's what I ended up with; something very close to how I like the think Orcrist looked in it's original glory.

I might do a little more work to add more details, shading and some 3D elements over the next few days, but I also have another Photoshop graphic I started that I might finish up and post here as well.

There are 3 verisons, blue with steel, green with silver, and red with bronze (which was the original designer's comment on how he imagined it).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

That is positively brilliant! Both the drawing and your graphics are very appealing, and both have unique charms.

The hand drawn version is gorgeous, reminiscent of Narsil with the cutout in the pommel and the ridges on the grip. Yours is Glamdring's mate beyond any shadow of a doubt, the geometry of the end of the guard being an especially nice touch.

Only problem I have now is that I can't decide which color I like the most!

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""Jamanticus""]That is positively brilliant! Both the drawing and your graphics are very appealing, and both have unique charms.

The hand drawn version is gorgeous, reminiscent of Narsil with the cutout in the pommel and the ridges on the grip. Yours is Glamdring's mate beyond any shadow of a doubt, the geometry of the end of the guard being an especially nice touch.

Only problem I have now is that I can't decide which color I like the most![/quote]

Thanks, I did a little more work on the blue and steel one, and really like it, so here it is (with the actual prop).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.

Wow, I wish I had never clicked on that link. Still struggling to adjust to the tooth as well and seeing that concept art really makes me wish Weta/PJ/Peter Lyon/whoever made that goddawful decision hadn't...well... made that goddawful decision! The proper (original) handle looks sooooo much better, and it actually curves the way it should in relation to the blade. Well done, Rosere. Now I can go weep for what might have been... :(
This Space for Rent

I recently came across a peculiar and interesting set of pictures...

What you are seeing is a sword in the process of being made by Peter Lyon himself, none other than Orcrist. Designed in 2009 by Dave Stokes and getting closer to completion now in April.

I think I've finally found a sword I love as much as Glamdring.

Such a same this isn't what we got. I'm sure the scabbard would have turned out better too! I like the UC Orcrist as a sword, with the exception of the tooth; but it really isn't Orcrist...

[quote=""Jamanticus""]I recently came across a peculiar and interesting set of pictures...

What you are seeing is a sword in the process of being made by Peter Lyon himself, none other than Orcrist. Designed in 2009 by Dave Stokes and getting closer to completion now in April.

I think I've finally found a sword I love as much as Glamdring.[/quote]
Well there's an inside scoop.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Closer, so very much closer, to what Orcrist should look like.
Got the leaf shaped blade right!

The only missing characteristic [imho] is a definitive detail to mark it as belonging to Ecthelion of the Fountain, something crystalline or adamantine.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Jamanticus""]I recently came across a peculiar and interesting set of pictures...

I think I've finally found a sword I love as much as Glamdring.[/quote]

[quote=""Jamanticus""]
Here it is with the leather applied to the grip.

No dragon tooth, no giant falcata blade. Perfectly in keeping with Sting and Glamdring.
[/quote]

This is so cool, thanks for sharing, Jamanticus! When I think of Orcrist being mates with Glamdring, well, this is much closer to what I would have hoped we would have gotten. I understand going smaller and single-edged for use by a dwarf, but I can't say I was ever a fan of the cheesy tooth.

Is it just me, or am I picking up a blend of Glamdring & Strider's sword? A note of Aearil too. The fullers and pommel are uniquely "Orcrist" though. Really gorgeous. Is this still a work in progress? I'd be curious to see the finished beauty. Bet it comes with a gorgeous scabbard too...

Unfortunately, it being a Peter Lyon sword, 99.9% of us won't be able to buy it becuase of both cost and limited availability.

And I can't see him selling the licensing to UC for mass production, especially given UC's plummeting quality.

So for those who have not bought PJ's Orcrist (and have no intention of ever buying it) we will always have a hole in our "Swords of Middle Earth" collection. :(

[quote=""Deimos""]Unfortunately, it being a Peter Lyon sword, 99.9% of us won't be able to buy it becuase of both cost and limited availability.

And I can't see him selling the licensing to UC for mass production, especially given UC's plummeting quality.

So for those who have not bought PJ's Orcrist (and have no intention of ever buying it) we will always have a hole in our "Swords of Middle Earth" collection. :( [/quote]

(Deimos, I love your current post count...1234 is cool!)

I will get Orcrist someday, because having a gap in the Troll Horde display will bother me more than seeing PJ's Orcrist on my wall. I even had this crazy idea (if I could get a cheap one) to mod Orcrist closer to the original sketches of it, a la wood handled grip with a blue or blue-green leather. Won't happen though. But that would be a really cool idea if this Orcrist was mass produced. My guess is Peter Lyon will eventually sell it like Aearil: edition size of 1. :(
Last edited by Nerdanel on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Deimos""]Closer, so very much closer, to what Orcrist should look like.

The only missing characteristic [imho] is a definitive detail to mark it as belonging to Ecthelion of the Fountain, something crystalline or adamantine.[/quote]
You'll be happy to hear that there will be a zircon set in the center of the guard later on :coolsmile

[quote=""Deimos""]Closer, so very much closer, to what Orcrist should look like.
[/quote]

Hmmm... Take a Glamdring, remove guard, grip and pommel, make new Orcrist-like parts and remount on Glamdring?

Quick new Orcrist?
MC Sting, MC Samwise, MC Glamdring with scabbard, Sting and Scabbard, Legolas Knives and Scabbards, Hadhafang Sword of Arwen, Gondor Shield, Gimli Battle Axe, Gimli Bearded Axe, Gimli Walking Axe, Witchking Sword, Sword of the Ringwraiths, Witchking Dagger, Uruk Hai Scimitar

I know what you mean,tim....it is a bit too similar to Glamdring.

But is still so much better than that ....ummm...funny looking thing in the Hobbit.
If one had to choose between only those realizations of Orcrist, it's a no brainer as to which to go with.

And even if the guard, grip and pommel were different, the blade should still be leaf-shaped.

[quote=""Jamanticus""]You'll be happy to hear that there will be a zircon set in the center of the guard later on :coolsmile [/quote]

Well, that is good news indeed! Even a few Zircons would be OK (to look water droplets).
Last edited by Deimos on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”