Re: Orcrist Revealed

Just got the Hobbit artwork book (awesome BTW) and it shows a number of Orcrist concepts so we can see what might have been.

I'm not particularly liking the straight back of the sword and would consider giving the back a slight graceful curve (with a belt sander...) as shown in some of the concepts if I were planning on buying the blade.
MC Sting, MC Samwise, MC Glamdring with scabbard, Sting and Scabbard, Legolas Knives and Scabbards, Hadhafang Sword of Arwen, Gondor Shield, Gimli Battle Axe, Gimli Bearded Axe, Gimli Walking Axe, Witchking Sword, Sword of the Ringwraiths, Witchking Dagger, Uruk Hai Scimitar

[quote=""timdp""]Just got the Hobbit artwork book (awesome BTW) and it shows a number of Orcrist concepts so we can see what might have been.

I'm not particularly liking the straight back of the sword and would consider giving the back a slight graceful curve (with a belt sander...) as shown in some of the concepts if I were planning on buying the blade.[/quote]

I was thinking it would be cool, although I doubt it would happen, if UC could produce a line of "concept swords". They did a similar thing with star wars replicas http://www.efxcollectibles.com/p-43-bri ... -page.aspx

So you'd have the movie accurate version and the concept version.

It would be cool to have a concept version of Orcrist, I love the green stone handle on one of the designs.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Nasnandos""]We are testing the feasibility of it, but nothing is confirmed. If it happens, it will be a quite a while off yet.[/quote]

Damn, I was getting excited there :| hopefully you'll be able to pull it off.

I'm hoping UC makes Balin's mace, I really love that weapon.

Do you have a favourite weapon that you've seen that you'd like to get made?

So with the first film being a big success with fans, not critics of course, is that encouraging UC to create more replicas?

I'm sure initial sales of the first wave will be the determining factor on going forward with new items, so it is too early to say. Now that UC knows Noble was given the exact same license, I e xp ect that to have a negative affect on how much UC now wants to invest in this, but I can't speak for them.

I really like Balin's sword/mace thing, but got little visibility in the film, and the fact that Weta is already making a version, I think UC will not go there.

Out of all the weapons in film 1, Orcrist and Thorin's Dwarven sword are my favorites. I really like Fili's swords and his war hammer too, as well as Thorin's axe, but none of that stuff really gets any screen time.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Ehh, well, so much for that then. Was really hoping to see a lot of the dwarven weapons made in something other than Weta's styrofoam (polyurethane, whatever :P ). Glad I can't afford any of it anyway, otherwise I'd be pretty let down. :(
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

The pix I have say it's Thorin's mace, but the Weta art book calls it an axe, so I suppose it's officially an axe now.

The pix of Balin's mace label it as a sword, but Weta calls their replica a mace, so I guess the terms were still being decided when I first saw them.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KRDS

It can't possibly be heavier than Gimli's Battle Axe, and I had that thing on my wall for eight years without it being on a stud.

I took it down just a few months ago to store it and the screws, wall mounts, plaque, and wall showed no signs of strain. Maybe I was lucky, but I think it was just fine. :huh:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]It can't possibly be heavier than Gimli's Battle Axe, and I had that thing on my wall for eight years without it being on a stud.

I took it down just a few months ago to store it and the screws, wall mounts, plaque, and wall showed no signs of strain. Maybe I was lucky, but I think it was just fine. :huh: [/quote]

Yeah, mine is hanging with no studs, in a not real plywood wall and there is no strain.

Gloin was used so little in he film, and his axe was only in a few shots, so I doubt it, but that's not something I will likely be in the loop on.

I reviewed with UC all of the preexisting LOTR products that would be in The Hobbit, including Gloin's/Gimli's walking axe, and recapped it after seeing the film. I don't know which, if any, that they may make more of, other than some talk of possibly a short run of Witch-king daggers.
KRDS

I was kinda hoping for the same thing, with the possibility of a re-release of the Shards, but I just picked up a set. Hey, I got a good price, and it's been a favorite of mine for a while.

Is there much of a possibility that we'll see further weaponry in the next two films? I would think most of it's been onscreen already, right? Although, the Dale weaponry ought to be fun... a black arrow replica, anyone?

Hey, Val - I made it! Thanks!

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I'm sure initial sales of the first wave will be the determining factor on going forward with new items, so it is too early to say. Now that UC knows Noble was given the exact same license, I e xp ect that to have a negative affect on how much UC now wants to invest in this, but I can't speak for them.

I really like Balin's sword/mace thing, but got little visibility in the film, and the fact that Weta is already making a version, I think UC will not go there.

Out of all the weapons in film 1, Orcrist and Thorin's Dwarven sword are my favorites. I really like Fili's swords and his war hammer too, as well as Thorin's axe, but none of that stuff really gets any screen time.[/quote]

I love the design for Fili's swords. I'm looking forward to seeing UC's replica. Are they both the same or are there differences? The blades look the same but the handles could have different designs. Just curious as to how UC would offer these. Would they come as a set and have a plaque that could hold both of them?

I love Thorin's sword, Nobles version looks horrible though so hopefully UC will produce one and do it much better :thumbs_up

I really like Bifur's spear but I don't think that was seen very much either. I hope these weapons get a lot of screen time at the start of film 2 because they'll soon be confiscated by Thranduil. Which brings me to ask, how does Gloin get his axe back and give it to Gimli? :huh: any ideas anyone?

Jm419: I'm guessing there's still a lot of new weaponry for us to see such as Thranduil's sword, Tauriels daggers, Legolas' bow and also new Dwarven weaponry. I wonder what weapons Dain and his soldiers will carry.

[quote=""Jm419""]
Is there much of a possibility that we'll see further weaponry in the next two films? I would think most of it's been onscreen already, right? [/quote]
Not at all. Much more to see.

[quote=""Lindir""]I love the design for Fili's swords. I'm looking forward to seeing UC's replica. Are they both the same or are there differences? The blades look the same but the handles could have different designs. Just curious as to how UC would offer these. Would they come as a set and have a plaque that could hold both of them?[/quote]
The swords are identical, and the plan right now is to sell a single sword, simply due to the high cost (and weight) to do as a set, but it's not final yet.

[quote=""Lindir""]Which brings me to ask, how does Gloin get his axe back and give it to Gimli? :huh: any ideas anyone?[/quote]
Wondering that myself. I assume after the war all of the weapons and gear were returned. I think the Dwarves would have gone back and demanded them.

[quote=""Lindir""]Jm419: I'm guessing there's still a lot of new weaponry for us to see such as Thranduil's sword, Tauriels daggers, Legolas' bow and also new Dwarven weaponry. I wonder what weapons Dain and his soldiers will carry.[/quote]
Exactly, and the weaponry to be used in the Five Armies battle.
KRDS

[quote=""Valkrist""]I would buy Thorin's axe and Balin's mace if made by UC, hands down! :thumbs_up [/quote]

Count me in. Real metal, better price than the Weta line. Just make them Open Edition so I can take a little while to save up!

[quote=""N2darkness""]I'm not sure I have a stud in my wall strong enough to hold that thing up. Might need to have a floor type stand to display that monster.[/quote]

That's why I built the floor cabinet I built; to hold these monsters! I've got two axes in there already.

[quote=""Valkrist""]It can't possibly be heavier than Gimli's Battle Axe, and I had that thing on my wall for eight years without it being on a stud.

I took it down just a few months ago to store it and the screws, wall mounts, plaque, and wall showed no signs of strain. Maybe I was lucky, but I think it was just fine. :huh: [/quote]

I'm saving this and showing it to my parents every time they gripe about how "Impossibly heavy; absolutely certain to rip the entire drywall pannel off the wall" my props are.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I am just kicking myself because, there was a 6 month period where I could get it for around $75![/quote]

Same for me with Isildur's and Boromir's Swords on Budk. $100! :(

[quote=""Jm419""]Is there much of a possibility that we'll see further weaponry in the next two films? I would think most of it's been onscreen already, right? Although, the Dale weaponry ought to be fun... a black arrow replica, anyone?
[/quote]

Well, it's already been answered, but yes we have a few more entire cultures to be introduced. We're going to be seeing a LOT more armaments in the next two films. Dol Goldur orcs, Wood Elves, Iron Hills Dwarves, and Men of Dale/Laketown, along with whatever else PJ has up his sleeve. Should be some good stuff showing up.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

The handle on Fili's sword looks really ornate. I'm guessing that the replica handle will be made using that resin you mentioned here last year. I think you said you can get it to look like wood, metal and stone and was a material you were considering for Sauron's mace if it went ahead.

Will the blade be a stainless steel blade?

Oh and could Orcrist actually be drawn over the back from the scabbard? It looks large on Thorin's back and we never actually see him draw it in the film but I thought that with the scabbard being open at the side it may help.

I'd completely forgotten about the Wood elves - guess I need to read the book again.

I'm a fan of the elegant Numénorean blades from the Trilogy, so I'm hoping the men of Dale have some nice Strider-ish swords.

Boy, you know - it's just awesome to have new LotR onscreen again; we get to do this all over again, and I'm loving it.

[quote=""Jm419""]I'd completely forgotten about the Wood elves - guess I need to read the book again.

I'm a fan of the elegant Numénorean blades from the Trilogy, so I'm hoping the men of Dale have some nice Strider-ish swords.

Boy, you know - it's just awesome to have new LotR onscreen again; we get to do this all over again, and I'm loving it.[/quote]

I don't know why but for some reason I picture the men of Dale and Laketown using rapiers, but kind of like the ones weta made for prince caspian. They have the ornate guard and handles, but the blades are broad.

In the scene where Thranduil and a few other elves are walking across that bridge to Thror, they had new swords. I really like those, at first I thought they were just the high elven warrior swords from LOTR but the blades are longer and the handles seem shorter, but still have a good length to them.

[quote=""Lindir""]The handle on Fili's sword looks really ornate. I'm guessing that the replica handle will be made using that resin you mentioned here last year. I think you said you can get it to look like wood, metal and stone and was a material you were considering for Sauron's mace if it went ahead.

Will the blade be a stainless steel blade? [/quote]
Yes. Nearly 5lbs of it. Them Dwarves must be really tough and strong :)

I'm not entirely sure what the hilt material was intended to be, but it almost appears to be stone and metal, rather than wood and metal. We are testing a polycarbonate for the stone/wood parts. I actually finished the prototype just hours before seeing the Hobbit. It matches the prop in appearance exactly, so I am just waiting on UC's factory to copy what I did for the next stage.

[quote=""Lindir""]Oh and could Orcrist actually be drawn over the back from the scabbard? It looks large on Thorin's back and we never actually see him draw it in the film but I thought that with the scabbard being open at the side it may help.[/quote]
I can, and Thorin is around 5' tall, so I imagine so. The more interesting question is what held the scabbard to his back? Look close in this video, and you can see the hooks and mounting screw plate on the prop scabbard where they did a bit of a cheat to allow him to wear it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJ8-VwZZkw
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Yes. Nearly 5lbs of it. Them Dwarves must be really tough and strong :)

I'm not entirely sure what the hilt material was intended to be, but it almost appears to be stone and metal, rather than wood and metal. We are testing a polycarbonate for the stone/wood parts. I actually finished the prototype just hours before seeing the Hobbit. It matches the prop in appearance exactly, so I am just waiting on UC's factory to copy what I did for the next stage.

I can, and Thorin is around 5' tall, so I imagine so. The more interesting question is what held the scabbard to his back? Look close in this video, and you can see the hooks and mounting screw plate on the prop scabbard where they did a bit of a cheat to allow him to wear it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJ8-VwZZkw[/quote]

Thanks for posting that clip Kit. I see the plates as well. :thumbs_up

That Moria armour looks amazing, and Dwalin's hammer.

Orcrist's scabbard is beautiful. If UC were to be able to produce a replica would it be wearable on the back or on the waist as Legolas wears it? I guess you may not know for certain just yet, but I was curious.

I can't wait for UC's Orcrist to be released, only a few weeks now :D

Noble's looks awful. I think the blade is too wide, and the handle is way too dark. and also why did they decide to go with the actual scale Orcrist would be instead of actor scale? their line isn't very consistent which must be annoying to people who own them. I feel like I'm constantly slagging them off, but they do produce some good prop replicas, but their swords just look bad and the reviews of them haven't been very good either.
Last edited by Lindir on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Lindir""]I don't know why but for some reason I picture the men of Dale and Laketown using rapiers, but kind of like the ones weta made for prince caspian. They have the ornate guard and handles, but the blades are broad.
[/quote]

Could be the influence of the Italianate architecture in the footage of Dale. Rapiers would fit in that town perfectly.
MC Sting, MC Samwise, MC Glamdring with scabbard, Sting and Scabbard, Legolas Knives and Scabbards, Hadhafang Sword of Arwen, Gondor Shield, Gimli Battle Axe, Gimli Bearded Axe, Gimli Walking Axe, Witchking Sword, Sword of the Ringwraiths, Witchking Dagger, Uruk Hai Scimitar

Dwalin had surprisingly little screen time, considering what I was told about him. Of course, this is only one third of a 7-8 hour film, so I'm sure more development of each character will come as the story plays out.

[quote=""Lindir""]
Orcrist's scabbard is beautiful. If UC were to be able to produce a replica would it be wearable on the back or on the waist as Legolas wears it? I guess you may not know for certain just yet, but I was curious.
[/quote]
Both, but it is way to early to confirm how it works yet, or to even confirm that it will get made. The first proto is not even finished yet.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Both, but it is way to early to confirm how it works yet, or to even confirm that it will get made. The first proto is not even finished yet.[/quote]

It seems strange that the retailer is advertising it as coming soon. I'm guessing perhaps UC may have sent out something to retailers telling them that it could be made and so they decided to advertise it as coming soon on their website.

What is the usual length of time it takes to produce a replica? I'm guessing it varies from piece to piece, but I was just wondering how long a replica like Orcrist took you to get approved and ready for production and the processes you had to go through.

Doubtful. UC has nothing to send out, nor can they without getting approval from Warner Bros first. It probably came from something I said online, so the less said the better. Back in the LOTR days, dealers were placing the "wishlist" pre-ads up all over the place of swords that UC was never going to make, so it could be that too. People just assume, or hope, it will be coming.

As far as the length of time. It varies, but typically 10 months or so for a sword, and add several months more if it is a licensed product for approvals and such. I think we started on Orcrist in December 2011.
KRDS

[quote=""Lindir""]I really like Bifur's spear but I don't think that was seen very much either. I hope these weapons get a lot of screen time at the start of film 2 because they'll soon be confiscated by Thranduil.[/quote]

Not a very impressive first post on my part -- I just joined the forum a short time ago, but enjoyed reading the informative posts for a while before that. I absolutely agree that Bifur's spear is quite intriguing and would be a very impressive reproduction. I'd jump at the chance to add it to my (modest but growing) collection.
Last edited by Buckeye on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It would have to be the spear tip and the end spike as well. The little spike is used when hunting. He would drive it into the ground and hold the spear at an angle so that the animal he was hunting would run into it.

That's what it says in the Weta art book.

Has anyone had a shipping notification about Orcrist yet? I'm wondering because Kit mentioned a few weeks back that a few of them had been sent out to retailers so some customers would be getting them earlier than others.

[quote=""Buckeye""]Not a very impressive first post on my part -- I just joined the forum a short time ago, but enjoyed reading the informative posts for a while before that. I absolutely agree that Bifur's spear is quite intriguing and would be a very impressive reproduction. I'd jump at the chance to add it to my (modest but growing) collection.[/quote]

Don't worry about your first post not being very impressive. All that matters is that you contribute to the forum in a good way and enjoy your time here :thumbs_up

Do you have any Hobbit replicas, or any on pre-order?

I hope Fili's sword still has a decent size even when its scaled down
Last edited by Lindir on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

[quote=""Lindir""]Don't worry about your first post not being very impressive. All that matters is that you contribute to the forum in a good way and enjoy your time here :thumbs_up [/quote]

[quote=""Lindir""]Do you have any Hobbit replicas, or any on pre-order?[/quote]

Yes. I have UC's Staff of Gandalf the Grey and Weta's Key to Erebor. The staff is impressive and rather heavy (and makes the LOTR Staff of Gandolf the White look/feel like a fancy broomstick). I'm still trying to decide where to hang it the GtG staff -- I actually wish it was designed to be mounted horizontally. The KtE is a delightfully small collectible that is nicely crafted.

I have the UC Orcrist on preorder and am impatiently counting the days until I have it in hand. I love the quality of the UC swords.

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”