So long "LOTR"; Hello "Hobbit"...

I just received an email from one of my (old) official United Cutlery providers. I thought this was important enough to stop studying and share with my fellow LOTR collectors!

"United Cutlery has discontinued all LOTR items except Sting, Glamdring, and Anduril. All others are sold out or will be soon, so if there is a piece you are missing for your collection you should hurry and purchase it now. New products for the HOBBIT will start becoming available in August."

[My apologies if this has already been mentioned - i could not find it, nor an existing thread to state this. Please delete this thread if i am being redundant.]
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Re: So long "LOTR"; Hello "Hobbit"...

well, i wish i had a spare few hundred dollars laying around, there are a few definites I would really want to have.

Everything is in limbo right now with me... I am waiting on some applications to PHD schools to come back and if I get in, I may get a nice yearly stipend which may include some fun purchases money, if I can budget. If I dont get in this year, I have a possible promotion at my job waiting for me for the time being, which would make a lot more than I make now. So some new purchases could be made :)
Last edited by BladeCollector on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The Hobbit

My guess is that they will become available to pre-order in august and that they'll be e xp ected to ship around the time the movie is released
Last edited by Lindir on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Dark - you are correct. Last i checked, UC only sells to distributers and official retailers. But the store i used to work for was an official UC retailer, so i had the inside scoop ;) Add to that the updated emails i receive from some of my other sword retailers..they're all saying the same thing...

1) The LOTR swords are all discontinued except for 3 models...which is pretty much what everyone's been saying / talking about. I guess this just helps to add extra confirmation to that.

2) The Hobbit weapons will start being released in August....that caught me off guard. Usually sword manufacturers try to get their main products out just prior to a film being released...but 4 months? Wow. Unless Elvenguard is correct..and they'll just tease us all for a few months first..hahah

[Dark - pm'ed you the website]

[quote=""Dark Shadow""]Jash as far as i can remember can only shops buying things dirrect from UC,People like us we don't get even the change of buying something right from UC.

Can you show me a list what swords they have for sale at this very moment.
:thumbs_up [/quote]
BudK.com is about as close as you get to buying from UC direct because BudK bought UC after the bankruptcy.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Not to be the dark cloud in everyone's sunny day, but I do like to play devil's advocate, and August seems waaaaaay too premature for us to have Hobbit weapons in our hands.

As mentioned, this is more than likely when pre-orders *might* be available, and we won't be seeing these until much closer to December, if not after. Call me pessimistic, but I just don't see movie-related merchandise coming out that far in advance of a theatre release. I grant you that Kit mentioned they've been working on the design and tooling for some time now, but that's still nothing to do with an actual release date. New Line and Warner will be having the final say on that, mark my words.

On the other hand, if I am wrong and we are all playing with Orcrist come August, I'll glad eat the first crow that lands on my plate. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Wow, August? When I read that I too assumed it meant pre-orders but that seems even too early for pre-orders! I was surprised they were even going to have anything ready by the time the movie comes out. I wouldn't e xp ect to have anything in-hand earlier than this Christmas.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Wow, August? When I read that I too assumed it meant pre-orders but that seems even too early for pre-orders! I was surprised they were even going to have anything ready by the time the movie comes out. I wouldn't e xp ect to have anything in-hand earlier than this Christmas.[/quote]
You can allways rob a bank Fing. hahahaha.

I think, given the success of the LOTR movies, that they want to profit as much on Hobbit merchandise and when better to sell a lot of things? at christmas when the movie is released. So I think there's a really good chance we will be seeing a lot of merchandise being released before the movie including some of the weapons and other replicas as well as toys, books, shirts, etc. The first official hobbit shirt was released a couple of days back
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Thranduil""]BudK.com is about as close as you get to buying from UC direct because BudK bought UC after the bankruptcy.[/quote]

Thrand raises a good point - BudK is almost like buying from UC directly. What scares me though....is that BudK only has 13 LOTR items left for sale... (even Kult of Athena is down to 15 different items last i checked!).

Well if my memory serves me correctly...UC has always advertised new weapons around August / September...with intent to release them September / October. Usually there are delays (whether or not intentional is a whole different debate lol) - which ends up pushing release until end November / early December....STILL prior to Christmas - which, as stated, is a great time to release a new line of collectibles for sales.

In addition - an early release of the weapons is also great marketing for the movie itself. From just talking to people...there seems to be less enthusiasm for "The Hobbit" than there were for any of the 3 "LOTR" movies...so early release of weapons will certainly boost talk, and will therefore serve as indirect marketing for the movies.

I'm a science guy - with no big business e xp erience...so i could be fully wrong in my line of thinking...hahah

It will happen, when it happens, I guess. I'm just happy we'll be seeing new stuff.

So, who wants to speculate on what we will see UC put out? I'm guessing they are going to divide it into "for sure," "maybe," and "only if sales warrant it" categories.

Under "for sure" I would guess:

Sting pre-runes
Sting post-runes (re-release of current version)
Glamdring (re-release of current version)
Orcrist
Gandalf the Grey's Staff

Under "maybe," my votes are for:

Balin's Axe
Dwalin's Warhammer
Fili's and Kili's Swords
Thorin's Axe

Under "only if sales warrant it" is more a collection of conjecture based on weapons we may or may not see onscreen, and then only if UC sees enough profit in going forward with them:

Remaining Dwarven weapons - I didn't put these in the other categories even though to some people they would seem a "must." You have to remember that UC should adopt a 'wait and see' approach on this or risk investing a lot of money in weapons that might not sell. Kit said Gimli's Axes were only moderate sellers during the LOTR run, so when you factor in thirteen dwarves with multiple weapons, you risk getting yourself in trouble very fast.

Bard's Bow - Although this is certainly a pivotal weapon to the story, I don't think UC has ever produced a bow in their life, so I'm not sure if they will attempt it now. If they do, this is a must, as would an elven bow, since those are sure to feature prominently.

Bard's Sword - He's sure to have one, so we could stand a chance at seeing this get made.

Thranduil's weapons - I would love to see these, whatever shape they may take. Whether UC makes them or not is another matter.

Legolas remakes - It's possible the fighting knives may make a return. If so, I hope they get the handle colour right this time.

Beorn's Axe - This is doubtful as the weapon is sure to be monstrous in size. Still, if they once considered Sauron's Mace, this one must remain a possibility.

Hadhafang remake - We will be seeing Elrond again, but he was never armed while at Rivendell. Also, it could be argued that Arwen already has the sword at this point in time. Since we won't be seeing her, I seriously doubt this sword will be released again. However, there is some faint hope for Elladan and Elrohir swords.

Goblin weaponry - Faint possibility, but it is there. UC did consider them at one point for the LOTR line, but only the Uruk-hai blade made the final cut. If they don't get made this time around, I don't think there will be a single bad-guy weapon in this line, which should make Deimos ecstatic.

Dain Ironfoot's weapon - (Axe or Hammer?) An important character, but he only appears briefly at the end. Will we see his weapon made? I think it will depend heavily on how well the other dwarven stuff sells this time around.

Elven weaponry - A remote possibility. Kit pushed for making Haldir's sword and got denied. However, the HEWS did get made, so who knows.

Helms and Shields - I don't think these sold well for UC initially, so who knows. However, the after-market rise in popularity and price for these items has been insane, as we all know. It's highly possibly UC might dip their feet in the non-weapon waters once again. I hope they do.

What are your thoughts? Oh, and before anyone thinks to ask Kit Rae to come in here and offer his opinion, do remember he is contractually-bound to reveal as little as possible. Things like Orcrist are a given but most other stuff he can't comment on... yet. ;)
This Space for Rent

Awesome list Val! You def have put some thought into it. I have to agree with just about everything you say there. All I have to add is 'don't rule any of the weapons out due to lack of screen time'. Like you said, the HEWS; as well as Hadhafang and Isildur's sword, are all perfect examples of 'low-time' swords that ended up being made.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Wow, August? When I read that I too assumed it meant pre-orders but that seems even too early for pre-orders! I was surprised they were even going to have anything ready by the time the movie comes out. I wouldn't e xp ect to have anything in-hand earlier than this Christmas.[/quote]

If my memory serves me correctly, there were several UC LOTR models that came out as pre-orders with stated lead times of three to four months that actually went to six to eight months before they were actually realeased. This was when the LOTR collectibles were very hot. I remember being so frustrated that they went so far beyond the ETA and waiting and waiting for mine to arrive. Whether or not these were supplier issues or just a marketing trick, I remember it keeping me from jumping quick to order some pre-orders after that. So, who knows how far out they may start pre-orders. They may pull the trigger pretty early to test the waters. Personally, I wouldn't see the sense in doing any pre-orders until there are some serious trailer releases, both in theaters and on television. That would set fire to the interest that has wained over the last couple of years.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

[quote=""Valkrist""]It will happen, when it happens, I guess. I'm just happy we'll be seeing new stuff.

So, who wants to speculate on what we will see UC put out? I'm guessing they are going to divide it into "for sure," "maybe," and "only if sales warrant it" categories.

Under "for sure" I would guess:

Sting pre-runes
Sting post-runes (re-release of current version)
Glamdring (re-release of current version)
Orcrist
Gandalf the Grey's Staff

Under "maybe," my votes are for:

Balin's Axe
Dwalin's Warhammer
Fili's and Kili's Swords
Thorin's Axe

Under "only if sales warrant it" is more a collection of conjecture based on weapons we may or may not see onscreen, and then only if UC sees enough profit in going forward with them:

Remaining Dwarven weapons - I didn't put these in the other categories even though to some people they would seem a "must." You have to remember that UC should adopt a 'wait and see' approach on this or risk investing a lot of money in weapons that might not sell. Kit said Gimli's Axes were only moderate sellers during the LOTR run, so when you factor in thirteen dwarves with multiple weapons, you risk getting yourself in trouble very fast.

Bard's Bow - Although this is certainly a pivotal weapon to the story, I don't think UC has ever produced a bow in their life, so I'm not sure if they will attempt it now. If they do, this is a must, as would an elven bow, since those are sure to feature prominently.

Bard's Sword - He's sure to have one, so we could stand a chance at seeing this get made.

Thranduil's weapons - I would love to see these, whatever shape they may take. Whether UC makes them or not is another matter.

Legolas remakes - It's possible the fighting knives may make a return. If so, I hope they get the handle colour right this time.

Beorn's Axe - This is doubtful as the weapon is sure to be monstrous in size. Still, if they once considered Sauron's Mace, this one must remain a possibility.

Hadhafang remake - We will be seeing Elrond again, but he was never armed while at Rivendell. Also, it could be argued that Arwen already has the sword at this point in time. Since we won't be seeing her, I seriously doubt this sword will be released again. However, there is some faint hope for Elladan and Elrohir swords.

Goblin weaponry - Faint possibility, but it is there. UC did consider them at one point for the LOTR line, but only the Uruk-hai blade made the final cut. If they don't get made this time around, I don't think there will be a single bad-guy weapon in this line, which should make Deimos ecstatic.

Dain Ironfoot's weapon - (Axe or Hammer?) An important character, but he only appears briefly at the end. Will we see his weapon made? I think it will depend heavily on how well the other dwarven stuff sells this time around.

Elven weaponry - A remote possibility. Kit pushed for making Haldir's sword and got denied. However, the HEWS did get made, so who knows.

Helms and Shields - I don't think these sold well for UC initially, so who knows. However, the after-market rise in popularity and price for these items has been insane, as we all know. It's highly possibly UC might dip their feet in the non-weapon waters once again. I hope they do.

What are your thoughts? Oh, and before anyone thinks to ask Kit Rae to come in here and offer his opinion, do remember he is contractually-bound to reveal as little as possible. Things like Orcrist are a given but most other stuff he can't comment on... yet. ;) [/quote]
Bombir's Ladle gets my vote!
I have a feeling it offers great humor to a collection.
Sitting on the wall people will ask, "What's that?" You answer, "Didn't you see the movie?"
Like Sam's skillet.
That Ladle with that weight behind it is gonna hurt, wrong guy to pi$$ off.
I think I'm very much going to like Bombir in the Hobbit.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Valkrist""]Bombur... ;) [/quote]
Thanks, I get that mixed up too much. "Is it a U or an I?"
From now on I will be wrong and U will be correct. :thumbs_up

I personally would still like to see Sauron's Mace made to complete the Sauron collection . As well as all of the Hobbit weapons , can't wait !!! :thumbs_up
I may get Isildur's sword , wasn't going to as it wasn't a prominent sword , but slowly changing my mind . Same reason I didn't get Narsil , I have the Shards and they were more a part of the story and movie . ;)

[quote=""dpegasusm""]I just saw this page: http://www.bladecenter.com/the-hobbit-m ... apons.aspx[/quote]

Out of curiosity, that looks a fair bit like the Sting released for LOTR. The scrollwork is there on the blade. Is the difference we're all e xp ecting the fact that it won't have the Elvish runes that say it's called Sting on it?

I wonder which one ends up becoming more collectable, pre or post Hobbit.
#UC1264 Sting, #UC1300 Sting Scabbard, #UC1298 Hadhafang, #UC1372WGNB Fighting Knives of Legolas, UC1381LTNB Knives of Legolas Scabbards, #UC1371WGBN Knife of Strider, #UC-1370ABNB Herugrim

The scrollwork is there, as you pointed out, but the runes on the blade as well as on the hilt, are missing. Those only get added after Bilbo returns from his journey.

The general e xp ectation (as well as the logical one,) is that UC will release at least two non-MC versions of Sting with the release of The Hobbit: one that looks like the one in the link (pre-runes) and possibly a simple re-release of the LOTR version (with runes) but no other alterations.

As far as collectability, that's a tough call: the LOTR version did come first, so it is older, but it was mass-produced in abundance, is still available for very cheap, and it will probably be released again, further driving down its value. The Hobbit version without runes may yet prove rarer, depending on how crazy UC goes with production. However, because most of us already have a Sting, possibly even two if you own the MC version, the non-runed Sting may be a LE release, but that's just speculation on my part.
Last edited by Valkrist on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
This Space for Rent

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”