Game of Thrones Swords and Props

Didn't see this posted from a few weeks back on the Valyrian Steel website:

http://www.valyriansteel.com/index.php

"We are pleased to announce we have acquired exclusive rights to produce weapon and armor prop replicas from the HBO® series Game of Thrones®. We will begin manufacturing these items while continuing to work on the “A Song of Ice and Fire” book replicas we already produce. We are very excited about the ability to pull from the designs the prop designers on the show have come up with. We have already started work on the Bran Assassination Dagger, the Hound’s Helm, a Stark Infantry Shield, and Robb Stark’s Sword, which we hope to have out by the end of the year. Many are likely wondering if we plan on producing show versions of the book swords we have already done, the answer to that is yes, we intend on eventually doing that."

They currently have 'book' versions of Ice, Longclaw, Needle, and Robert's Warhammer in stock.

Can't wait to see how the Infantry Shield turns out!

Re: Game of Thrones Swords and Props

bored tonight so I'm going to post some pictures of the current offerings:

Strongly considering ordering Ice. I think Longclaw is the cooler looking sword... but the wolf head just kind of kills it for me. I think it could have been done better.

Finally... check out the video they have of Robert's Warhammer! There's a picture on facebook showing the head size is about the size of a 2 liter bottle!

Smashing Pumpkins.... literally

Yeah I'll be excited to see what Valyrian comes out with for HBO replicas as well...
Ideally I think it would be neat to get both versions of Ice to display side-by-side as kind of a 'book version' and fully realized version.... so I couldn't help it and I broke down and purchased Ice....

It arrived today so I snapped a few photos:

Compared to Strider's Ranger Sword... this thing is massive!

Very cool sword, and much more what I imagined from the books. Part of me wants to cry every I see that 'wolf's head' pommel they have in the series. That said, I agree with Rev that the HBO versions look much more real/historical. If a series replica were made, I think I might willingly give my right hand to get the sword of Jamie Lannister.

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/ ... 8-1092.jpg

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/co ... ordRef.jpg

Also....that scabbard is amazing...and in my honest opinion, one of the biggest flaws about the LotR swords. It's as if the person who designed that scabbard had read Tolkien's books or something...
Last edited by RosereIII on Fri May 18, 2012 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Draven_of_the_Shire""]Yeah I'll be excited to see what Valyrian comes out with for HBO replicas as well...
Ideally I think it would be neat to get both versions of Ice to display side-by-side as kind of a 'book version' and fully realized version.... so I couldn't help it and I broke down and purchased Ice....

It arrived today so I snapped a few photos:

Compared to Strider's Ranger Sword... this thing is massive!
[/quote]
That sword looks really amazing and kinda heavy.what's the price for this one and where to be found.

[quote=""Alexander""]A friend of mine who made a couple of swords for me made a version of the Jon Snow sword Longclaw. I think it looks much better then the HBO version.
http://forum.sword-buyers-guide.com/vie ... =3&t=11181[/quote]

Unfortunately, for those of us that want to be "book accurate," the Wolf Head on the pommel is supposed to be white stone, not bronze. I think the issue is that that head looks like a bobble head popped on the end of a sword, even the HBO. And although Mr. Martin fully approves of Valyrian Steels versions (eh IMHO), I think the best Longclaw has yet to be seen. I actually got into a little "argument" with Valyrian Steel on their thread about the HBO swords. They were sure quick to defend the "functionality" and "realism" in their swords saying that Ice is a ceremonial headsman sword, which I read that it was a "great battle sword." Nonetheless, I think there are great things that should have been mixed, but I guess this is what happens when our own Peter Lyon isn't designing the functionality :coolsmile

I really like this

I'm hoping I'll have a chance to get one. I have to pay for Orcrist and Radagast's staff first though. Maybes in time. I wanted to do a Littlefinger display and this would be one of the items in it. I better save up, hopefully they won't sell out straight away. Their previous items took a while to sell out.

They also have the Hounds helmet replica up for pre-order which looks amazing
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Nasnandos""]The hounds helm prototype looked good. We had the Hounds Helm, Catspaw, and Robb's sword here in the studio before Christmas to shoot the photography for Valyrian Steel.[/quote]

What is your job with this company? Is it the same as your job with UC?

I saw pictures of the book version of Longclaw on your scrapbook site a while back.

I love the damascus blade on the Catspaw dagger. I wonder if its accurate to the pattern on the blade in the show.

One of the services we (Kit Rae Design Studio) offer is product photography, so we shoot all of their book weapon replicas and the GOT replicas. We also did the packaging art for the first four book products.

We actually did all the the CAD and engineering work for the book weapons too. George had ideas on what type of swords he wanted, along with some blade and hilt shapes he liked. We then created a of design elements, like groups of different pommels, guards, grips, and blades. George and the guys at Valyrian went through those and picked the parts they liked and we put them together into control drawings. George had a heavy hand in everything.

I like the way Longclaw came out, but I don't care for the pommel. I like Ice, but not the English letters on the blade. I think they dictated exactly what they wanted for Needle. One of my designers did nearly the entire war hammer, so that one came together a bit differently than the others.

They wanted us to handle the GOT replicas too, but we were just too busy.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]One of the services we (Kit Rae Design Studio) offer is product photography, so we shoot all of their book weapon replicas and the GOT replicas. We also did the packaging art for the first four book products.

We actually did all the the CAD and engineering work for the book weapons too. George had ideas on what type of swords he wanted, along with some blade and hilt shapes he liked. We then created a of design elements, like groups of different pommels, guards, grips, and blades. George and the guys at Valyrian went through those and picked the parts they liked and we put them together into control drawings. George had a heavy hand in everything.

I like the way Longclaw came out, but I don't care for the pommel. I like Ice, but not the English letters on the blade. I think they dictated exactly what they wanted for Needle. One of my designers did nearly the entire war hammer, so that one came together a bit differently than the others.

They wanted us to handle the GOT replicas too, but we were just too busy.[/quote]

Thats very interesting Kit. I don't really like the english letters on Ice either, but I like the design of it. Im looking forward to the TV replicas that they put out, the Catspaw blade is one I really want to pick up.

The warhammer is really cool, I loved the design of that weapon :thumbs_up

It's cool that George was very involved in the design process as well for the book replicas, I wonder if he got involved with the designers of the show or just gave them room to be creative and go down their own routes. I like it how he writes an episode every season, hopefully in the future he may be able to write more. Obviously the last two books are more important.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Museum Replicas just came out with these. They are so awesome!!!!!!!

https://www.museumreplicas.com/p-2205-g ... n-set.aspx[/quote]

Rev, have you pre-ordered Robb's sword? Is that you in the comments on their website under the name Revan?

Also did you get my message I sent you?
Last edited by Lindir on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Yes, I pre-ordered. Yes, that is me in their comments section grilling them for all high carbon steel swords. Yes, number 427 was requested on Robb's sword.

Yes, I got your message and I am taking pictures now for you :D [/quote]

I'm really considering getting it. I love the design of it. I want Stannis' sword as well though. They aren't e xp ecting Robb's to sell out with pre-orders so after I've paid for Orcrist and Radagast's staff I may start saving up for Robb's sword. I love the plaque design as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing their scabbard as well :thumbs_up

I prefer the show swords to the book swords. There's something really interesting about them. That's not to say that the book version Valyrian put out are bad because they aren't but I just like the show ones better.

Thanks for taking the pics for me Rev :)

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I am not afraid to say it, I hate every single book sword they made except for longclaw which I would consider acceptable. The show ones are just so much more realistic.[/quote]

I agree on the realism point Rev. I'm really taking a liking to Robb's sword. Are you gonna get the catspaw blade and the hounds helm or are you just sticking with the swords?

[quote=""Lindir""]I agree on the realism point Rev. I'm really taking a liking to Robb's sword. Are you gonna get the catspaw blade and the hounds helm or are you just sticking with the swords?[/quote]

The helm is beautiful, but I have made the decision that I am ONLY doing functional products if they are outside of Tolkien replicas. So the fact that the helm is fiberglass, I am going to pass. I really considered the catspaw blade, but this isn't Valyrian's fault, but I hate that big ugly gem in it, very fake looking to me. The main reason why I bought Robb's sword: Functional. Second reason: I own nothing with that shaped pommel or pommel colour.
The fact that it is GoT just makes it that much better!

[quote=""RevAnakin""]The helm is beautiful, but I have made the decision that I am ONLY doing functional products if they are outside of Tolkien replicas. So the fact that the helm is fiberglass, I am going to pass. I really considered the catspaw blade, but this isn't Valyrian's fault, but I hate that big ugly gem in it, very fake looking to me. The main reason why I bought Robb's sword: Functional. Second reason: I own nothing with that shaped pommel or pommel colour.
The fact that it is GoT just makes it that much better![/quote]

Yeh that's what threw me off getting the catspaw blade, as much as I love the design. No space for helms though even though I'd really like one. Valyrian mentioned they were planning to produce Loras Tyrell's helm as well.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I never noticed![/quote]

There's quite a few I think! Visery's sword is a heavily modified version of the Windlass Raptor sword:

The blade is the same, but it looks like the design team stripped the tang and but a new grip, guard and pommel on.

I think the scabbard is pretty much the same, but with straps added on and maybes a few extra pieces of metal.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Wow, great eye![/quote]

Hahha I just randomly pick these things up when I'm watching :D I'll post some more pics if I notice anymore

Did you get the Inside HBO's game of thrones book? I love the photographs in there. I'm hoping they'll produce another book focusing more on the artwork and props.

I picked up the Collector's edition of that book and it is amazing. Great photos and maps and the storyboards are pretty cool too!

I have been watching Valyrian Steel's site for the announcement of Jamie Lannister's sword. I am pretty caught up on purchases (Weta and UC), so hopefully they will decide to make that sword and I'll be able to secure an early one!

[quote=""RosereIII""]I picked up the Collector's edition of that book and it is amazing. Great photos and maps and the storyboards are pretty cool too!

I have been watching Valyrian Steel's site for the announcement of Jamie Lannister's sword. I am pretty caught up on purchases (Weta and UC), so hopefully they will decide to make that sword and I'll be able to secure an early one![/quote]

I only got the regular edition, the collectors edition was released after the regular one and I didn't find out until the day before it released :angry:

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I am not afraid to say it, I hate every single book sword they made except for longclaw which I would consider acceptable. The show ones are just so much more realistic.[/quote]

Hi Rev,

You obviously have never held the VS book version of Needle if you can make such a claim! I fully accept the rationale behind its design and agree that, in this case at least, the show deviated from what would be an accurate depiction of a sword designed by Mikken in Winterfell.

GRRM's claim is that he would have created a sword like the ones he was familiar with and just scale it down for Arya. Hence, the book version of Needle looks like a scaled-down broadsword. It is also constructed of high carbon steel. I dare say it would prove as or more functional than any of the UC LOTR swords (including MC Sting and MC 'Dring) should the need (or the dead) arise :thumbs_up

Then I must make a simple correction in my English language wording.

I am not afraid to say it, I hate every single book sword "design" they made except for Longclaw, which I would consider acceptable. The show "designs" "LOOK" so much more realistic, "most considerably Ice."

Even so, I am still not afraid to say that I don't like most of GRRM designs, just like most of Tolkien's sword designs were not really based in reality. I am going based on the simple fact that a rapier style sword is much better suited for a 11 year old girl than a mini broadsword.

Wow,Rev...didn't mean to yank your chain! BTW, English is my mother tongue so I wasn't lost in translation. The point I was trying to make is that GRRM states that Mikken would have no concept of a "rapier," and the fact that such is more "appropriate" for an 11-year-old girl is irrelevant. Within the context of that world, he would simply create a smaller version of something he already knew how to make. Obviously, he couldn't Google YouTube how-to videos on rapiers :huh:

Truth is, I prefer the show designs as well (except Longclaw which looks worse than the book version to me). I have already preordered Robb's Sword and will add Ice, Needle, and even the lesser (IMHO) show version of Longclaw when opened for preordering. I just wanted to praise my existing book Needle because, personally, I LOVE IT! Far simpler in design than the other book items which, let's face it, border on the cheesy. As for the new show items, the assassination dagger is also firmly ensconced in the fromage family...those horrendous faux jewels are the worst!

Oh I know your English is fine, I just want to make it clear for anyone else reading that Valyrian Steel's earlier creations, all "approved by GRRM himself" (from their website), are in my opinion very fantastical (fantasy like) to the point of cartoonish, most are completely unfunctional in balance ect, and their fittings aren't very real looking at all.

On Needle, which is clearly you love, of course no one likes someone else knocking something within their own collection, and although I see your point about poor one armed Mikken, but the pommel especially bugs me on that sword. It is so large for such a tiny sword. And I keep using the word "rapier" to describe the HBO Needle, but it really isn't a basket rapier or anything, more like a long parrying dagger. I also like to think and believe, whether GRRM agrees or not that the "Master Blacksmith" of one of the most famous and powerful castle's in Westros knows how to forge more than the typical Oakeshotte XIII-XVI swords and just "mini" versions of them. But maybe I have too much hope in humanity? lol

On Longclaw, I sort of agree with you on that one. The negative of the book version: The HBO sword has a curved (toward blade) cross guard which is actually seen very often on real historical swords where the book version has that pointed, Dracula style which just screams "FANTASY PROP" to me. On top of that the pommel Direwolf actually looks like a hand-carved wolf (almost like an old native carving) on the HBO prop where the book version looks like a Husky dog. Even the white pommel head is just cut off like it was just glued on where the HBO version, the hair of the wolf reach through the leather grip. The positive of the book version: I do agree that the leather grip looks much better on the book version. The other thing I love about the book version, missing in the HBO version is the multiple fullers on the blade which I am just a fan of overall. But I still could never buy the Book version given that crossguard and "stuck on" pommel, deal breakers for me.

I'm constantly amused by people who complain that weapons derived from fantasy fiction are not historically accurate and look "fantastic." :huh: You do realize these swords never actually existed. "Valyrian steel" is infused with magic. Dragons have taken wing. The dead walk in the North. They do not know what an Oakeshotte XIII-XVI is, nevertheless how to copy or scale such down for Arya of House Stark!

Now that we have established this is a land of make believe, I have far less problem with "fantastic" weapon designs. As to functionality, that is WHY I love the book Needle. The pommel that you disparage actually provides a good counter-balance to the high-carbon forged blade giving it a very good overall balance, geometry, and grace!

I don't mean to rag on you. I know you are a true sword lover and know the intricacies of sword design and function. These swords, however, are marketed as "FANTASY PROPS" so it is no big surprise to me when they look the part :thumbs_up

As Sheldon so aptly put it, "If we're going to start a 'fantasy' sword collection..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plCcmK1vjkc

Peace Bro!

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”