Re: Game of Thrones Swords and Props

I noticed that Oathkeepers scabbard is wrapped in a red and gold brocade fabric.

I hope VS do an actual rigid scabbard for oathkeeper. They'd have to really because the fabric would just crumple up and you'd probably damage it trying to sheathe the sword without a rigid core. I just hope they don't do it in leather then wrap it in the fabric :|
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Jash""]Thanks for posting those sword pictures together, spacemarine...it'll be very difficult buying one without the other lol. Sorry, i have not seen any banners...just the plaques made by Noble Collection and Dark Horse...

Sorry if this has been posted before...but, have you guys seen this???
https://www.facebook.com/BronzeArtIreland/photos_all[/quote]

Sorry man, Hopefully Valyrian Steel will have released Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper by next summer.
I really hope Valyrian are going to be doing Daario's naked ladies also.

Couldn't resist posting this from ebay UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121367094812? ... 1423.l2648

I don't normally buy things like this ............. I just might have to. :P
Last edited by spacemarine on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

From what I've seen, a lot of the daggers are actually bought pieces. The dagger on the longclaw belt appears to be the hanwei Solingen parrying dagger.

Just curious Spacemarine, do you have Loras' helmet or do you plan on buying it? I really like it myself but haven't come across a proper review with photos of it. I'd love to see his sword get made as well and also Stannis' :)

Robb's dagger looks very similar to this one. The guard is modified and the only difference to the pommel is that it is brass. The scabbard also looks identical
http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/ ... e0bdf344b2
Last edited by Lindir on Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Lindir""]From what I've seen, a lot of the daggers are actually bought pieces. The dagger on the longclaw belt appears to be the hanwei Solingen parrying dagger.

Just curious Spacemarine, do you have Loras' helmet or do you plan on buying it? I really like it myself but haven't come across a proper review with photos of it. I'd love to see his sword get made as well and also Stannis' :)

Robb's dagger looks very similar to this one. The guard is modified and the only difference to the pommel is that it is brass. The scabbard also looks identical
http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/ ... e0bdf344b2[/quote]

Thank you for the info Lindir. Although the daggers appear to be found items that have been modified do you think this will stop VS from making them ? I'd really like to see official versions.

Sorry, I don't have Loras' helmet, Loras' helmet and the Catspaw dagger are the only 2 pieces at the moment that I don't plan on buying from VS unless it's an absolute bargain.

[quote=""spacemarine""]Thank you for the info Lindir. Although the daggers appear to be found items that have been modified do you think this will stop VS from making them ? I'd really like to see official versions.

Sorry, I don't have Loras' helmet, Loras' helmet and the Catspaw dagger are the only 2 pieces at the moment that I don't plan on buying from VS unless it's an absolute bargain.[/quote]

I think it could stop them replicating them because the official replicas would essentially become knock off pieces. Some of the ones that are heavily modified could be made into replicas though.

VS have a Facebook page and you can ask them directly on there or you can email them. They're usually very quick to reply :)

[quote=""spacemarine""]Well since nobody is making any screen accurate banners, I've commissioned one.
I got a pretty good deal for such a large banner, the size is 18" x 72", based
on the below screen used banner. I'll post some pictures when it arrives, the seamstress
has a backlog at the minute so should be the end of August.[/quote]
Looking forward to those pics! Banners always add a nice touch to displays :thumbs_up

[quote=""Buckeye""]Check out the Game of Thrones atrolabe Sideshow will be making:
http://gameartjinx.blogspot.com/2014/07 ... w-off.html
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-m_3aYoFDaxo/U ... review.jpg[/quote]
That is actually pretty cool. I'm surprised no one's made any sort of replica of that yet..as it has started every single episode lol
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

[quote=""Lindir""]I think it could stop them replicating them because the official replicas would essentially become knock off pieces. Some of the ones that are heavily modified could be made into replicas though.

VS have a Facebook page and you can ask them directly on there or you can email them. They're usually very quick to reply :) [/quote]

So I sent VS an email asking about several items that I'd be interested in owning, Shields, Swords, Helmets and Daggers.

I got a message back fairly quickly.

"Yes, the next shield will be Lannister

We have made scabbards for Longclaw & Robb Stark, we are not making their belt knives.

We will be making a Kingsguard Helmet, we've thought about a White Walker sword.

Valyrian Steel"

So we will see a Lannister shield which is what I was hoping would be next in regards to the shields.

No belt daggers which is a little disappointing as I feel the swords and scabbards aren't really complete
without them.

Yay, a Kingsguard helmet and one of my fav items a White Walker Crystal Sword could be on the table (fingers crossed)
Last edited by spacemarine on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

I'll be placing my order this Saturday. Then the nice long wait til March, though VS has been very good about delivery dates, and updating their customers when behind schedule. God knows when UC will ship half of the stuff they revealed a year ago...
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

I'm with Jamanticus on this one... been waiting for this sword ever since i first saw it on GoT. But this replica...just...seems...off. I hope the finished product looks better in the hand than the online pics...which make it look like a toy. I think the part that bugs me most is paying that much money for a stainless steel blade with painted zinc fittings... :(

[quote=""Jash""]I'm with Jamanticus on this one... been waiting for this sword ever since i first saw it on GoT. But this replica...just...seems...off. I hope the finished product looks better in the hand than the online pics...which make it look like a toy. I think the part that bugs me most is paying that much money for a stainless steel blade with painted zinc fittings... :( [/quote]

I agree, this just looks cheap and quite nasty, The only way I'd purchase this if it was on sale. VS have dropped the ball on this one...........

Does anyone else think the VS unsullied armor is way over priced ? $700 for some leather and studs, $400 - $450 is where I'd put it.

I shot those photos when Jalic passed the prototype my way a few weeks ago. I was a bit surprised too, but that is actually what it the prototype looks like.

[quote=""polyphemus""]They also posted the approved concept art for the ASoIaF Oathkeeper: http://www.valyriansteel.com/wp-content ... ncepts.jpg[/quote]

That is actually not the final design. The hilt will be close, but blade is much longer on what will actually be made. If all goes well, the Damascus should look like what is in the illustration.
KRDS

While I can't go so far as to say I think the new Jaime sword looks 'nasty,' I have studied the prototype picture enlargements a bit more closely since my initial excitement and I do have issues with it.

In fact, I did not preorder this one owing to those flaws and the fact that VS noted it unlikely they would produce a scabbard.

Also, it is not an iconic sword either in the show or the books. I still plan to buy the HBO version of Oathkeeper when it is released, but I think I will pass on this one.

As for the Unsullied armor, I fully agree there. That is far too much to pay for that armor despite it being limited to 500 pieces.

Perhaps if it came with a full-sized Unsullied mannequin or some kind of torso display, but for nothing more than some black leather and studs, I think it is far too pricey.

Ah well, I am really in no position to be buying more collectibles at the moment anyway so perhaps I should be thankful these are far from 'must haves' for me, eh? :thumbs_up

Here is the problem I am having. I really want at least the Stark Trio - Robb (Own), Ice, and Longclaw. But of course I am picky and always want the Damascus steel versions. I still have to finish the Hobbit collection and just Longclaw and Ice will cost me over $1000. To actually get the collection where I want it, I am looking at $2000. I might be selling my Robb sword to just get it out from lingering and making me want to purchase the others.

Would anyone be interested in Robb's sword possibly?

Valyrian Steel has posted their latest release, Khal Drogo's Arakh. I wasn't really a fan of HBO's design decision, as I had originally pictured something a little different. But after seeing their product image I think it has grown on me and I may have to pick one up.

http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/sword ... od_53.html
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.

You beat me to it... def planning on picking up this one!

Hmmmmm not sure.

I guess I've ruined it for myself because I've been drooling over photographs of the prop for months. The details in the handle don't look as refined and I'm sure its the wrong colour. I think brass plating would have been better for this one.

I'll be waiting to see in hand photos before I decide whether I'm going to pick one up or not.

I came here specifically to see what you folks thought of the Oathkeeper replica lol. For various reasons, i'm not collecting GoT swords...but i wanted at least ONE sword from the TV Show to be represented in my collection; and of all the weapons i've seen so far - Oathkeeper is my favourite. I think it is not only one of the best designed swords, but also a good representation of the story-line. But i do have a few concerns:

[quote=""Lindir""]The details in the handle don't look as refined and I'm sure its the wrong colour. I think brass plating would have been better for this one. [/quote]
I agree. I read some of the FB comments & replies. Apparently VS made quite a few different prototypes, and believed this one resembles the prop sword the most. But, even to me it's not quite right. I know the actual sword is made of cast bronze with a nice polish - giving it a "used gold" look with awesome typical bronze shadowing of details....not sure that can be fully redone with plated bronze...? But i'm no metal smith lol.

But i still think it's a beautiful sword. I'm just torn between the regular edition and the damascus edition. For those of you that have swords from VS - is the damascus edition really worth the extra $430?? I do own pattern-welded swords...but have not seen these swords in person yet and any advice / opinions would be greatly appreciated! :thumbs_up

When it comes to the Damascus v. Stainless/Carbon, I think it really depends on what you want. I would say that the Damascus version would be the way to go if you want either a) the Limited edition version, b) the sword purely for its $ value as it will likely increase a good deal once sold out, or c) you just can't get past seeing the particular sword with a 'plain' steel blade. That said, the damascus patterns on the blades; while impressive, are still quite different from the patterns on the blades of the props, in case you are trying to decide based on accuracy. I personally own both regular and damascus versions of Ice and Longclaw and have to admit that as much as I like them, I was a bit disappointed with the differences from the show props. That said, I DO intend to purchase the damascus version of Oathkeeper. Hope that helps, I'll try to dig them out and post some pics this evening.

Thanks RosereIII ! You raise some good points, but the one that got me the most was that i can't stand seeing that sword in a plain stainless steel blade lol. And thank you for your honest insight on your personal collection...it does help my decision :) I appreciate it, but please don't worry about posting pics - VS uploaded a few closeups of the Oathkeeper damascus blade.

Just out of curiosity - are you folks collecting the Show weapons, Book weapons, both, whatever you like best?

[quote=""Jash""]
I agree. I read some of the FB comments & replies. Apparently VS made quite a few different prototypes, and believed this one resembles the prop sword the most. But, even to me it's not quite right. I know the actual sword is made of cast bronze with a nice polish - giving it a "used gold" look with awesome typical bronze shadowing of details....not sure that can be fully redone with plated bronze...? But i'm no metal smith lol.[/quote]

I took the photos on the VS site and still have the sword sample here. It's actually brass plating, or 'antique brass' as we call it. It is chemically darkened on the surface, then polished so the brighter brass shows through on the top surfaces, but stays dark in the crevices.

To get something bronze looking we copper plate (bronze is just a copper alloy) and chemically darken it. It often often comes out looking pink when the top layer is polished to remove the dark surface and let some of the color show through, so i presume that is why VS went with brass.

I did not do the development work for this one by the way, or any of the GOT replicas, so I am not responsible for how accurate it is to the prop :)
KRDS

Thanks for the inside info Kit! I guess the VS website has a typo, stating "bronze plated"? Since you had no involvement with the development, would you be comfortable stating your opinion as to the accuracy of the replicas to the original props? Apparently it's not just me, a few people on FB were complaining as to Oathkeeper's accuracy in regards to colour, level of detail, and all together "toy look".

Kit - quick side question...as i remember you did the work on the UC "Highlander" swords, and this debate of bronze vs brass reminded me of something that's bugged me for years. I currently have 3 different Marto Sword of the Dragons (Duncan's) in my collection...and all 3 have very different looking tsuba's. I wasn't sure if over the years some were bronze plated, some brass plated, or just varying levels of bronze alloy mixtures, or varying levels of polish... Any ideas? Thanks!

I don't think it is a typo. That's probably what he asked for and assumes that's what it is. As far as the accuracy, I don't need to weigh in on it. The prop photos are easily found online so anyone can see the differences and similarities clearly.

Regarding Highlander, there have been so many Duncan swords it's hard to remember. As I recall the pilot sword was just a modified Marto sword with an 'antique' brass plated tsuba. Then they made a new one for season 1 that also had brass plating and a different tsuba. Then for season 2 Marto made one for use in the tv show that had dark copper plating and a different tsuba. That was the first Sword of the Dragon version Marto sold. There were several knockoffs that looked really similar to that one, with various tsubas and plating colors. Then there was the United version, which was basically the same as the Marto version, but with a slightly different tsuba and plating color.
KRDS

As always, thank you for your input Kit. It's always nice to hear from someone who has first hand e xp erience with all these different props :)
Oh, i'm sorry...i meant the difference purely in just the "Highlander" Marto swords, specifically just the different coloured tsubas. It sounds like Marto changed the colour of their replica tsubas over the years to match the various seasons... Interesting. PS - i didn't get a chance to handle your version of Duncan's katana...but i did own Connor's for a short time - loved your version of it!

Sorry for that folks...back to GoT :)

There really was not a 'my version' of Duncan's. The Highlander and United guys just wanted a replica of the one made by Marto because they could not get them anymore. I just helped them get something that looked less like plastic.

The Connor replica I worked on was a mix of all the different handle shapes from the movies. It came out OK, but the sculpt of the handle did not quite match my drawings.
KRDS

[quote=""Jash""]

Sorry for that folks...back to GoT :) [/quote]

I can help with that by responding to your previous query....

I began with Valyrian Steel by collecting their book replicas when I got the opportunity to buy a matched numbered set of their book Damascus Ice and the stainless Longclaw identical to the one featured in "The Big Bang Theory." I then preordered the same number for their book replica of King Robert's Warhammer and the Night's Watch Dragonglass Dagger set.

Now that the show replicas have started being released, I have been collecting those as well and chose a different number for that set that is more personally relevant. I find I prefer the show replicas both in design and the fact that I can "see" them when I watch the show. That being the case, I am thinking about divesting from the book line and selling those while the market is hot for them in order to save for new items from the show line.

I did preorder the Damascus Oathkeeper on Saturday. Despite there being differences in the definition, relief, and even coloration on the hilt as compared to the actual prop which I saw when the GoT exhibit passed through, I find it a gorgeous sword and a welcome addition to my HBO GoT collection. :thumbs_up

Kit - i remember reading your website on the development of both katanas. I thought making Connor's a mix of the 4 movie versions was an interesting idea, and came out better than i e xp ected. But, i'm an "H1" katana fan at heart :)

Polyphemus - I fully understand your thought process on this lineup. I, too, would prefer the show versions because they are based on something in reality, and enjoy watching them used in the tv series. However, part of my reluctance to collect "GoT" replicas is that i prefer some of the book version swords over the show versions. Especially Book Ice and Book Longclaw. So it would be a dilemma - either i collect only show versions while knowing there are swords out there i'd prefer (doesn't help that every main sword has 4 variations lol). Or, i collect what i like, but then having a collection with less continuity and organization. So, i decided to only purchase 1 sword from the show to represent "GoT" in my "Movie / TV Collection"....

Hence, i also pre-ordered the Damascus Oathkeeper. It is a beautiful sword. Unfortunately, I might have to cancel it later...the Canadian dollar has dropped quite a bit this year, which shall significantly impact my collecting for 2015 :(

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”