Re: Game of Thrones Swords and Props

Valyrian just posted photos of both of their Longclaw swords from the HBO show (damascus and stainless steel versions) and none of them have an accurate blade. In the show, you can clearly see that the pattern runs only down the fuller whereas on the damascus version the entire blade is patterned and the stainless version has no pattern at all, not even a simulated one like their book versions.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

That's true Lindir, but I remember reading somewhere that the show's blade was either hand etched or painted on depending on the prop. Both of those are impractical for a cost efficient prop. I suppose a treatment similar to their book versions might have worked, but again, it would only drive up the cost and even then it wouldn't match the show prop exactly. I have Ice on pre-order and more than likely Longclaw soon as well. Despite the availability of the Damascus versions, I have chosen to go with the standard versions of both. Damascus looks great, but it is not what Valyrian steel is, so I decided the extra cost wasn't worth it. The blades look great either way.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

[quote=""RosereIII""]That's true Lindir, but I remember reading somewhere that the show's blade was either hand etched or painted on depending on the prop. Both of those are impractical for a cost efficient prop. I suppose a treatment similar to their book versions might have worked, but again, it would only drive up the cost and even then it wouldn't match the show prop exactly. I have Ice on pre-order and more than likely Longclaw soon as well. Despite the availability of the Damascus versions, I have chosen to go with the standard versions of both. Damascus looks great, but it is not what Valyrian steel is, so I decided the extra cost wasn't worth it. The blades look great either way.[/quote]

That's true, I hadn't taken into consideration the cost of achieving the same look. I do like Longclaw, I prefer the show version to the book version they produced. I'd really like them to make Stannis' sword though, I saw some photos from the exhibition in Belfast and it looks stunning

We had the prototypes here for photography and I noticed the pattern was missing from the fuller on the carbon steel version as well. Odd. It could have been deep etched into the steel in the same manner the book swords were etched, so there must have been some reason they did not. There is a minumum line width that can be achieved in the etching screens, so perhaps it just looked too fat when they tried to etch that pattern, or HBO rejected it.

Even though they are not show accurate, the Damascus bladed versions I saw looked really nice. There is a small market for people who just like that pattern welded Damascus, so that's why you see the occasional prop sword replica being offered in a Damascus version. United started it with their Heroes and Highlander katana replicas, and now it seems to have caught on. They are even considering a small run of Orcrist and Sting in Damascus to see if there is any interest.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]They are even considering a small run of Orcrist and Sting in Damascus to see if there is any interest.[/quote]

I'm not familiar with Damascus blades. Would there be appreciable differences in the actual appearance of Orcrist and Sting from their normal, current UC versions, or is it just the knowledge that the steel used is different?

(Sorry, not trying to derail the GoT topic, but I couldn't pass up this question since Kit brought up the subject.)
This Space for Rent

Thank you.

Yes, I see the huge difference and I recall seeing blades like that now. Not a fan, personally.

It's a distinct, yet very particular look. Aesthetically to my eyes, it just looks like the steel has been surface stained by some form of fluid. I guess I just love the mirror look of polished steel too much. :|
This Space for Rent

It's actually deep into the steel, not just on the surface. You can feel it. It's an acquired taste, but it has a growing collector base. There is a myth that it is a much stronger steel than typical carbon steel blades that accounts for part of the popularity, but most of them simply like the way it looks and the idea of owning a sword with a blade forged of hundreds of layers of steel.

I'm not a fan of it in these particular swords, especially on a prop replica because I prefer accuracy, but I own several hand made katanas with forged Damascus blades.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]

Even though they are not show accurate, the Damascus bladed versions I saw looked really nice. There is a small market for people who just like that pattern welded Damascus, so that's why you see the occasional prop sword replica being offered in a Damascus version.[/quote]

Well, the actual reasoning behind Valyrian Steel® using Damascus steel in their prop replicas is in an attempt to replicate "Valyrian" steel as referenced in the source materials. Valyrian steel is said to have a dark smoky look with ripples running through the steel. The closest approximation, therefore, is the modern pattern-welded Damascus steel. In the case of Ice, it is described thusly: "The blade was Valyrian steel, spell-forged and dark as smoke." Elsewhere, it is again described, "Valyrian steel, marked with the ripples of a thousand foldings, so sharp I feared to touch it."

So, that's why VS does the blades that are defined as Valyrian steel in the books/on the show--Ice, Longclaw, Catspaw--in LE Damascus steel versions. As for LOTR swords done in Damascus, that just strikes me as strange. Likewise for any prop that isn't made closer to the source description by the use of Damascus steel. Examples I can cite are the UC hand-forged Highlander swords that were offered in both standard and Damascus. I had no interest in those nor would I have any interest in a Damascus Orcrist or Sting. That would just look weird IMHO.

[quote=""polyphemus""]As for LOTR swords done in Damascus, that just strikes me as strange. Likewise for any prop that isn't made closer to the source description by the use of Damascus steel. Examples I can cite are the UC hand-forged Highlander swords that were offered in both standard and Damascus. I had no interest in those nor would I have any interest in a Damascus Orcrist or Sting. That would just look weird IMHO.[/quote]

My feelings exactly. Not only do I have an aversion to buying the same sword more than once, I would have less than zero interest in LOTR/Hobbit replicas that so radically depart in look from their originals. If it's not making an attempt to be accurate, then what's the point? Obviously UC is free to e xp eriment with whatever product line they want, but they won't have a customer in me where this line is concerned should they go ahead with the idea.
This Space for Rent

Just got shipping confirmation for my order of Ice from Valyrian Steel; the HBO series version. Very excited, will be posting images once received...and placing further orders with them shortly.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.

If any of you own the Valyrian Steel "Sword of Robb Stark" (HBO GoT Series), I'm wondering if you have any plans to purchase the scabbard? VS recently posted this unboxing/review video on their Facebook page and I note the sword doesn't even fit in the scabbard properly. The squared-off metal collar does not fit flush against the curved crossguard. For $260 (haven't seen any of these from other discount retailers yet), I would require at least that the sword fit all the way into the scabbard. Of course, I'm also not a fan of scabbards that lack a rigid wood core (another issue with this one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU2_yhd ... e=youtu.be

I'd be curious to hear reviews from any members here that did buy it. :thumbs_up

[quote=""polyphemus""]If any of you own the Valyrian Steel "Sword of Robb Stark" (HBO GoT Series), I'm wondering if you have any plans to purchase the scabbard? VS recently posted this unboxing/review video on their Facebook page and I note the sword doesn't even fit in the scabbard properly. The squared-off metal collar does not fit flush against the curved crossguard. For $260 (haven't seen any of these from other discount retailers yet), I would require at least that the sword fit all the way into the scabbard. Of course, I'm also not a fan of scabbards that lack a rigid wood core (another issue with this one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU2_yhd ... e=youtu.be

I'd be curious to hear reviews from any members here that did buy it. :thumbs_up [/quote]

I noticed that. Their longclaw scabbard seems to have the same issues. I too don't like non rigid core scabbards and I'm sure in the show they did actually have wooden cores. The price seems a bit of a joke considering that UC made some pretty great scabbards from LOTR for less than that such as the Anduril scabbard, Glamdring scabbard and also the new Orcrist scabbard.

Yea, I have Robb's sword and was tempted to order the scabbard to have a 'complete' set. However, after thinking it over and seeing that video (VS posted that on their own facebook site several days ago) I am def not buying that scabbard unless that price drops drastically (probably wouldn't spend more that $150)! The throat not meeting the guard is very off-putting and impractical, and the lack of a solid core just feels cheap for lack of a better term; makes me think of bad knock offs with those generic 'leather' scabbards. That said, the belt and metal furnishings do look pretty nice.

I'm a little more torn regarding the Longclaw scabbard as it at least follows the curve of the guard and is rigid. The price is lower, only $195. However, they only have prototype images that are subject to change, so I will hold off on a final decision on this piece until I know more... But it is looking unlikely.

When comparing these to the UC LotR scabbards, they just seem to fall a little short.

[quote=""RosereIII""]

I'm a little more torn regarding the Longclaw scabbard as it at least follows the curve of the guard and is rigid. The price is lower, only $195. However, they only have prototype images that are subject to change, so I will hold off on a final decision on this piece until I know more... But it is looking unlikely.

When comparing these to the UC LotR scabbards, they just seem to fall a little short.[/quote]

Oh, I didn't realise the Longclaw scabbard was rigid. I thought it was the same as Robb's?
EDIT: Now I remember why it will be (sort of) rigid. Although it may bend easily unless it has a wooden core :P
Last edited by Lindir on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Longclaw scabbard sample I had here was not rigid, but those brass edgings help hold the shape so it is not floppy like the others.

Regarding Rob's sword, there are different props, some with straighter guards than others. You can even see that in some of the prop photos online. The gap at the scabbard neck sometimes shows, other times it seems flush with the guard. The gap was rather large on the VS scabbard sample I saw, but that may have been the way the prop they copied was shaped.
KRDS

I have spoken with Chris at VS and he assured me the Longclaw scabbard would have a wood/rigid core and that it was being produced by the same factory that made the original LOTR scabbards for UC. I, of course, cannot confirm that fact, but perhaps Kit can speak to that. The e xp ected higher demand for the Longclaw scabbard enabled them to order a much larger initial production run which, from what Chris told me, allowed them to reduce the price and improve the design (i.e. make it a rigid wood core scabbard).

I do think it looks as if the fit is better on the Longclaw scabbard as it appears to be shaped to properly fit the sword in the pics I've seen. However, I have seen one of the prototype pics that had the same issue as the Robb scabbard, but I think it was an issue of the fit/finish on that prototype rather than a design flaw. At this point, I doubt I will be buying the scabbard for the Robb sword (unless it is closed out at half price), and I'm waffling about the one for Longclaw until I can confirm the above is correct re: rigidity...

[quote=""Nasnandos""]If that's the case, he must have changed the construction it since I handled the prototype (the one in the pics on the VS website). I'm not in the loop on the product development of those, but if Chris is saying it will be have a wood core, I would believe it. The factory that made the old LOTR scabbards was in Taiwan.[/quote]

Hmmm, now I'm questioning my memory of our conversation and whether or not he specified a wood core, or merely noted it would be more rigid than the one for the Robb sword. He did say something about it being produced by the same people as the ones from LOTR, but I will need to follow-up with him about the wood core issue. Thanks for the additional information, Kit! :thumbs_up

Rosere, have you purchased/pre-ordered Longclaw? I'm tempted by it myself. I really like the design, but the lack of the pattern down the fuller initially put me off but now I'm considering purchasing it.

Does anyone know if the scabbard and belt fittings are genuine brass and steel or are they just base metals that have been plated? I'll probably wait until I can find some in-hand photos when its released before I make the decision.
Last edited by Lindir on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yes, I have preordered Longclaw, the stainless steel one. I did not purchase the "damascus/valyrian" steel replica as it isn't true to the show OR the descriptions in the book. As such, I couldn't justify spending twice the amount. I did really like the design on the fuller, but its absence isn't a deal breaker for me. In all honesty though, I have thought about attempting to add the design to my copy when I get it. Supposedly the design was painted or etched onto the blade. I also went with the "standard" (carbon steel) Ice as well, for the same reason. However, the pattern on Ice might be a little harder to replicate; though I haven't counted it out.

The show has really downplayed the value and rarity of "Valyrian Steel" so I find it easier to purchase replicas of these famous blades that are made from stainless/carbon steel.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I am planning on getting both Damascus versions... I just don't have $1100 sitting around at the moment :) [/quote]

Hi Rev...Are you are getting a nice discount from VS or are you a wholesaler? If not, I think you meant $1300. I have pre-ordered both Damascus versions and that is what it cost me retail from VS. If I can get them both for $1100 instead, please share how... :|

[quote=""Nasnandos""]If that's the case, he must have changed the construction it since I handled the prototype (the one in the pics on the VS website). I'm not in the loop on the product development of those, but if Chris is saying it will be have a wood core, I would believe it. The factory that made the old LOTR scabbards was in Taiwan.[/quote]

As usual, you are correct, Kit! I just spoke with Chris again and the rigidity on the Longclaw scabbard is owing to the banding hardware (metal elements) that run across and down the sides of the scabbard. It does not, however, have a wood core as I had erroneously stated. It also should fit more accurately to the design of the crossguard. As for the fact that the Robb scabbard doesn't properly fit the sword, that was exactly like the prop they received from HBO and replicated. So, if there is a finger to wag, it should be directed at the prop masters/designers at HBO not VS. :thumbs_up

VS just posted that their first shipment of Ice (carbon steel) is STILL held up at customs and won't be released until at least next Tuesday.

Poly, I know it is a long way off (March/April), but I wanna see some nice pics when you get those! I don't think I'd go for Longclaw, but if the damascus Ice turns out really nice, I might just have to acquire that version as well.

[quote=""RosereIII""]VS just posted that their first shipment of Ice (carbon steel) is STILL held up at customs and won't be released until at least next Tuesday.

Poly, I know it is a long way off (March/April), but I wanna see some nice pics when you get those! I don't think I'd go for Longclaw, but if the damascus Ice turns out really nice, I might just have to acquire that version as well.[/quote]

Hi Rosere...yeah, Chris regaled me with the customs tale of woe on Ice. You wouldn't believe what customs is having kittens over...the fact that the boxes were labeled "Made in PRC" rather than "Made in China." Apparently, the entire shipment got flagged, inspected, and waylaid to a bonded warehouse in Detroit. The VS folks get to go up there and re-label the entire shipment "Made in China" lest anyone fail to grasp that PRC stands for "People's Republic of China." Wow, the bureaucratic nonsense knows no bounds!

As for your stated reluctance and reasons for not wanting the Damascus Longclaw, I totally understand. The fact that the Damascus pattern covers the entire blade rather than just the fuller like the prop bothers me, too. However, I much prefer the high carbon steel blade despite it not being screen accurate. You noted you might try to add the pattern down the fuller.

In a similar mindset, I wonder if one could deeply polish the outer edges to remove the pattern?!? Anyone out there with specific enough knowledge of Damascus steel and its properties to answer whether or not that is even possible?!? Either way, I also chose the Damascus versions because they are limited editions. Finally, I haven't actually seen any photos of Ice from the show that indicate it, like Longclaw, has polished edges. In fact, most images I've perused seem to show it having the pattern throughout the blade, but I may be mistaken about that. I'd welcome any images that can confirm either way. :crazy:

As for the scabbards, I really don't think I can justify paying more for that flexible and ill-fitting Robb scabbard than I did for the sword, but I may go for the Longclaw scabbard... :thumbs_up

Ice does indeed seem to have polished edges, though not as drastic a difference as Longclaw, and with perhaps still with a hint of the pattern. These aren't the best images, but they do show what I am talking about; and again my reasoning behind choosing the (much) cheaper regular versions.

EDIT: I forgot to add, that I've been told that polishing damascus steel can lighten the pattern, which could very well e xp lain the look of Ice, and even that of Longclaw in the show I suppose. Sharpening the blades should, more than likely, eventually lead to the result of lighter patterns on the edges. However, true Valyrian steel wouldn't need sharpened like normal steel...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RosereIII on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I can't remember if this has been discussed here, but I saw a photo on a website from a convention that Valyrian steel attended and they had the show version of Jaime's sword and apparently they are producing a replica of it. If they do I might have to pick it up :)

Easily one of the best designed swords in the show. I'll see if I can find the photo again for you guys :)

EDIT: Found it! http://cdn.fashionablygeek.com/wp-conte ... /08/G9.jpg
Last edited by Lindir on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

This is probably my most sought after sword right now. Sorry guys, but I would take this over Guthwine. I have been told that they have intentions on making this sword, they just don't know when that will be. Hopefully soon!

[quote=""RosereIII""]This is probably my most sought after sword right now. Sorry guys, but I would take this over Guthwine. I have been told that they have intentions on making this sword, they just don't know when that will be. Hopefully soon![/quote]

Well in the photo it says its e xp ected mid/late 2014 so hopefully that's still correct. That could be when it goes up for pre-order. I wonder if they'd do the scabbard for it as well.

Well Ice is finally here...now begins the wait for Longclaw, and Jamie's sword, and anything else they make...lol.

http://imageshack.com/a/img32/1586/f3hi.jpg

[quote=""RosereIII""]Well Ice is finally here...now begins the wait for Longclaw, and Jamie's sword, and anything else they make...lol.

http://imageshack.com/a/img32/1586/f3hi.jpg[/quote]

Is Valyrian Steel planning to make a scabbard for Ice as well? How does the plaque look? I've never seen a Valyrian Steel styled plaque, I'm curious how it compliments the swords.

Also, not sure if this had been posted already, but I thought this LOTR easter egg in GoT was fun:

[quote=""Nerdanel""]The sapphire is a bit big, but it's definitely Glamdring inspired. Maybe that's what happens to Glamdring knockoffs - pounded and melted into the Iron Throne monstrosity. :D [/quote]

:P

I'm pretty sure there's also a sword in there that looks like the sword of Ibelin from Kingdom of Heaven. I've noticed it a few times on the show.

No scabbard for Ice unfortunately. It was awesome, what look's like a bear skin with the head! Would have been very e xp ensive to replicate with any sort of accuracy.

As for the displays, mine are all still boxed up, but here is the image from their site. The size looks about right for the included box that I saw, but didn't open. The plaque for Robb's looks to be the exact same I believe.

The plaque for the Catspaw blade is very nice. Almost a shame to put the knife on it...lol.

[quote=""RosereIII""]No scabbard for Ice unfortunately. It was awesome, what look's like a bear skin with the head! Would have been very e xp ensive to replicate with any sort of accuracy.

[/quote]

Geez! :O That's the scabbard?! It does look like they just killed a bear and stuck it down it's throat! I can't imagine the difficulties in trying to replicate something like that. I'm not that far into season 1, does Ned (or anyone else for that matter) ever wear this at his side?

[quote=""Nerdanel""]Geez! :O That's the scabbard?! It does look like they just killed a bear and stuck it down it's throat![/quote]

I like to think it happened the other way around, they shoved the sword in there and decided it looked so good in that bear that they made it into a scabbard.
I can't imagine the difficulties in trying to replicate something like that. I'm not that far into season 1, does Ned (or anyone else for that matter) ever wear this at his side?
At his side? Not even The Mountain could do that. For Ned, it is an 'execution' sword. He has a very similar sword on his hip that he uses if he fights, almost a 'hand and a half' version of Ice, but not made of Valyrian steel. Don't want to spoil anything, but it IS worn regularly later in the series, but on the back, not the hip.

[quote=""RosereIII""]I like to think it happened the other way around, they shoved the sword in there and decided it looked so good in that bear that they made it into a scabbard.
[/quote]

Haha I love this! Much better e xp lanation. :thumbs_up Yeah, I've only found time to watch about 4 episodes so far, but I'm loving it! I was bummed when I heard there were only ~11 episodes a season, so I suppose it's okay to drag things out a little.

Well I decided to mount my sword Ice on a wall in my bedroom today. Unfortunately, there were some complications. The two brackets holding the sword are spaced so that the sword is quite difficult to place once mounted. On top of that, once the plaque was mounted, I gave it a minor stress test cause that sword is heavy and I don't want it falling. The plaque came free of the anchor screws and splintered around the holes. I sent the image below along with a quick message to Valyrian Steel on facebook and they replied within an hour or so along with a shipping email for a new plaque! Disappointed about the plaque, but quite pleased with the customer service.

And Valyrian Steel has announced that they had their hands on that prop...and that it is their highest priority item right now.

Previously they also said that their next two items released would be an Unsullied Helmet and Jamie's Lannister sword (which has been at the very top of my want list).

[quote=""Lindir""]Oathkeeper was shown at the GOT exhibition:

... me want![/quote]

I was at the SXSWesteros GoT Exhibit on Saturday and took almost this identical pic (though slightly less blurry). Is it just me, or do the 'lions' on this sword's pommel and crossguard almost look like they could also represent dragons...or wolves?

[quote=""polyphemus""]The fact that the Damascus pattern covers the entire blade rather than just the fuller like the prop bothers me, too. However, I much prefer the high carbon steel blade despite it not being screen accurate. You noted you might try to add the pattern down the fuller.

In a similar mindset, I wonder if one could deeply polish the outer edges to remove the pattern?!? Anyone out there with specific enough knowledge of Damascus steel and its properties to answer whether or not that is even possible?!?[/quote]

Hi Folks,

Well, after receiving my new Valyrian Steel Damascus Longclaw, I can state with absolute authority that one can polish the outer edges of such a sword to more closely replicate the look of the sword from the show. In fact, in so doing, the resultant sword will look (and be) much better than the prop from the show.

It seems that HBO noticed this issue on the VS prototype for the Damascus Longclaw and had them address it. As a result, the outer edges gleam (while still bearing the patterning) while the fuller is darker and unpolished thereby highlighting the Damascus pattern therein. I was so impressed I could hardly contain my glee last night after opening it up and cleaning off the shipping oils to get a good look at it. At that point, my cats were looking at me like I was totally nuts as all I could do was wander around my condo with it chanting "Sword, sword, sword!" as did the brothers of the Night's Watch when imploring Jon for a look at his gift from the Lord Commander! :thumbs_up

When I finally managed to calm down a bit and set that beauty aside, I opened my new Damascus Ice. Wow, just WOW! The blade on that thing is an absolute beauty to behold and captures perfectly the descriptive passages from the books: "The blade was Valyrian steel, spell-forged and dark as smoke," or this one: "Valyrian steel, marked with the ripples of a thousand foldings, so sharp I feared to touch it." Needless to say, I am bowled over completely. I no longer have any doubt about my new direction in regard to prop collection. I have shelved any and all plans for additional Hobbit items and will be concentrating exclusively on building/completing my Valyrian Steel collection! I am so thoroughly impressed, in fact, that I had to call Chris at Valyrian just to gush about how happy I was with these swords. They now stand as my favorite replicas. :thumbs_up In a collection that includes all of the swords from the UC LOTR line as well as many, many others, that is high praise indeed! :crazy:

I promise, when I can get a decent camera and the right lighting, I will be posting pics of these here and in the latest acquisition thread. If any of you are interested in either of these swords in the limited (500 each) Damascus editions, I would highly encourage you to go for it while they are still available. Given how sweet they are, I don't think they will last long. ;)

Congrats Poly! I also have both Ice and Longclaw, however I went with the standard versions of both. I've seen some other images online and I'm slightly regretting my decision as the final products seem to have far exceeded their 'prototype' images. That said, I'm still VERY happy with my 'economic' pieces.

[quote=""RosereIII""]Congrats Poly! I also have both Ice and Longclaw, however I went with the standard versions of both. I've seen some other images online and I'm slightly regretting my decision as the final products seem to have far exceeded their 'prototype' images. That said, I'm still VERY happy with my 'economic' pieces.[/quote]

I haven't taken any photos of mine yet, but here is one of the pics recently posted online (and shared via the VS Facebook page) that is illustrative of the polished edges and smoky fuller on the new HBO Damascus Longclaw:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”