Re: Game of Thrones Swords and Props

I'm considering going with the non-Damascus version as I'm just not a fan of that style, but I'm very wary of VS since my little Stark Shield debacle. I'm going to try and wait for another retailer to stock it and purchase from them instead. In most cases I'd rather buy direct, but not this one. Is there a good place that's reviewed/posted pictures?

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]I'm considering going with the non-Damascus version as I'm just not a fan of that style, but I'm very wary of VS since my little Stark Shield debacle. I'm going to try and wait for another retailer to stock it and purchase from them instead. In most cases I'd rather buy direct, but not this one. Is there a good place that's reviewed/posted pictures?[/quote]

You could try Kult of Athena
http://www.kultofathena.com/gameofthrones.asp

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]They're pretty good but it takes them forever to list new items...I'm actually looking at Thinkgeek. They routinely offer % off sales and they list their swords at standard prices.[/quote]

Kult of Athena routinely lists new items as soon as they have them in stock and photographed. If you compare availability for VS items between KoA and ThinkGeek, you will find that Kult has both the VS Catspaw dagger and the Robb Stark scabbard available whereas, TG does not. Also, KoA lists all their items at rock bottom prices. They are currently beating the prices for the same items via TG by about $50/each. I'm sure TG may run a sale at some point, but I doubt the % would result in that much savings on average. Just my 2 cents...

Hey Poly, I forgot to ask you, how is the handle wrap on your longclaw? My leather wrap feels a little loose and can move around a bit. Wondering if this is a isolated issue or if they are all like this. Thanks!
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

This line looks great so far! Sadly, as much as i love the tv series (currently rewatching Season 3 before Season 4 starts!) i decided long ago not to start a GoT collection...just no more space :( However, i might break down and pick up Oathkeeper & Jamie's swords.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

[quote=""RosereIII""]Hey Poly, I forgot to ask you, how is the handle wrap on your longclaw? My leather wrap feels a little loose and can move around a bit. Wondering if this is a isolated issue or if they are all like this. Thanks![/quote]

The wrap is tight and all else about my new VS Damascus Longclaw is perfect! I couldn't have asked for a better result. I really thought this would be my least favorite item from the GoT line, but I think it may actually be my favorite now. The polished edges vs. smoky fuller is just such an amazing effect! Of course, the new Damascus Ice is no slouch either! I am highly impressed with both of these new swords from Valyrian Steel! It is so very refreshing to be pleasantly surprised rather than unpleasantly disappointed when one receives something they have been anxiously awaiting. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Jash""]...i decided long ago not to start a GoT collection...just no more space :( [/quote]

I really hate the reality of this! The swords look great, especially the Damascus versions. When I was reading the books, that is much closer to what I envisioned Valyrian blades looking like. But, I'm pretty sure all the Damascus versions are small, limited runs, and I can't see myself picking them up in the next year or two. By then, they'll be long gone. :( Are the other swords limited as well? Are there any VS items that are open editions?

The Damascus are limited to 500 each and will be gone before too long I'm sure. The open editions will be produced as long as the show is going and they continue to sell. I do really like the damascus versions now that I have seen them, but I have already purchased the open editions. I have been debating exchanging them for the damascus, however I find it very hard to spend more than double the amount for the limited edition.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.

[quote=""Nerdanel""]I really hate the reality of this! The swords look great, especially the Damascus versions. When I was reading the books, that is much closer to what I envisioned Valyrian blades looking like. But, I'm pretty sure all the Damascus versions are small, limited runs, and I can't see myself picking them up in the next year or two. By then, they'll be long gone. :( Are the other swords limited as well? Are there any VS items that are open editions?[/quote]

Hi Nerdanel,

Both the standard (high carbon steel) version of Ice (HBO) and the standard (stainless steel) version of Longclaw are open editions. Those 2 in Damascus are limited to 500 pieces each and may already be in severely limited quantities. I know they sold well over 150 Damascus Longclaw swords in less than half an hour the day pre-orders opened in October!

Standard HBO Game of Thrones Ice: http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/sword ... od_27.html

Standard HBO Game of Thrones Longclaw: http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/sword ... od_35.html

As noted earlier in this thread, you can also find these standard editions through other retailers although I've yet to see Longclaw available elsewhere. Some of those sellers actually beat the direct from VS pricing as well (i.e. Kult of Athena: http://www.kultofathena.com/gameofthrones.asp). I pre-order from VS because I am now invested in collecting these limited edition items in specific numbers.

ps-are you headed to FedEx today, or will you have to wait until tomorrow?

Thanks for the answers RosereIII and polyphemus! I love the forum's little notification tool, it's like a personal email to come check cool things out! :thumbs_up

Major bummer about the Damascus versions. I think it looks great, and polyphemus, if you think it looks even better in person...well it would be tough to not want the LE version:

While I prefer Jon Snow's character, I prefer Ice as a sword. Longclaw's pommel is just so-so for me. But, if the regular editions will be around for a while, I may have to console myself with those. I think the potential blades in the works (Jamie's, Oathkeeper) look amazing, but I hate Lannisters. :angry:

PS - polyphemus, I plan to go there today if FedEx would just hurry up already! :D

[quote=""Nerdanel""] but I hate Lannisters. :angry: [/quote]

BOOOOOOO! The Lannisters are awesome. Well, Jaime is and Tyrion is pretty darn hard to hate... but I guess the rest can leave something to be desired.

[quote=""RosereIII""]BOOOOOOO! The Lannisters are awesome. Well, Jaime is and Tyrion is pretty darn hard to hate... but I guess the rest can leave something to be desired.[/quote]

Yeah, it wasn't hard to guess my blanket statement might ruffle a few feathers. Especially those of the Kingslayer! ;)

I fully admit Tyrion is an incredibly likable character, I just have a hard time overlooking a lot of what the Lannister's have done to some of my favorite characters. And, having strong feelings about a character usually means they are a good character. They make for fascinating character studies. When I started reading these books when they first came out years ago, I was not clued in to the inverted morality of the series. So, I would start rooting for certain characters and families, only to have them killed off. Everyone knows how Westeros operates now, but at the time, I did not. I have a feeling in my gut about how GRRM will end the series, and I don't think it will end in butterflies, sunsets, or rainbows.

Watching the HBO series has given me a fresh view of some of the characters, but my book feelings are still there. Hope this better e xp lains it. :) My dislike of certain characters is not restricted solely to the House Lannister either.

Hahaha, I was only giving you a hard time, I completely understand what you mean. I just can't resist 'ruffling a few feathers' of my own. It is exactly like you said; many people began watching the series not knowing anything about G.R.R. Martin's world. Therefore, the 'honorbound' Starks (that fill the first half of the first book) are seen by most as 'the good guys' and favorites. I just find it amusing that in a world where NOTHING is as simple as 'black and white' many fans think it is. And I have to poke them; with a stick; using the point end.

[quote=""RosereIII""]BOOOOOOO! The Lannisters are awesome. Well, Jaime is and Tyrion is pretty darn hard to hate... but I guess the rest can leave something to be desired.[/quote]

I would have to agree, Rosere! I mean, come on Nerdanel, Jaime lept into a bear pit with one hand and no weapon to save Brienne! It doesn't get much more noble/honorable than that. Of course, there is the whole creepy incest thing, but, given the nature of Westeros and its history, not without some precedent within the ruling families. Then there is Tyrion! What would the books or the show be without Tyrion? Now, sure, I wouldn't mind pitching Tywin and Cersei off of some crag at the Rock, but I draw the Lannister-hate line at the brothers of the Lion :thumbs_up

PS-Oh, and while genetically Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen may be "Lannisters" of a sort, I did not consider these spawn of Lannister twin incest in the above defense of the family. Joffrey, obviously, is the vilest of the vile. For him, there is no death gruesome enough.
Last edited by polyphemus on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""polyphemus""]

PS-Oh, and while genetically Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen may be "Lannisters" of a sort, I did not consider these spawn of Lannister twin incest in the above defense of the family. Joffrey, obviously, is the vilest of the vile. For him, there is no death gruesome enough.[/quote]

This I totally agree with you!

Haha, alright guys, I could further retract my blanket statement or I could start posting the names of all the characters I too would like to shove off a crag at the Rock. ;) Instead, I'll just leave it as is and reiterate that this is why GRRM characters are so interesting. I detest some of the things Jaime has done, and his incestuous relationship with Cersei makes me cringe to no end. But, he does something honorable like saving Brienne. Salvation of his character in my eyes? Remains to be seen. Don't get me started on Joffrey.... :angry:

N2 - That shooting target is amazing! Made in Westeros by the Stark Paper Co. too! :thumbs_up

I don't think anyone gave this any attention yet. Not really an impactful blade in the story, but still worthy of notice (and a great design); Widow's Wail. This is one of two blades, the other being Oathkeeper, forged from the melted down Ice and gifted to Joffery on his wedding day by Tywin. Very excited to see more of this and other weapons in season 4.

@Rosere:

As to "Widow's Wail," I have no real interest in that sword. I'm sure the design will be quite impressive, but I suspect far too ornate for my tastes. Even if it was the coolest sword in the line, I probably wouldn't want it just because it is Joffrey's sword! I saw the prop "Oathkeeper" sword at the GoT Exhibit recently and even it is a bit much for my taste. However, I do want "Oathkeeper" in both the long-rumored book version with a black and red "Valyrian" blade (Damascus?), and the HBO version.

[quote=""polyphemus""]@Rosere:

As to "Widow's Wail," I have no real interest in that sword. I'm sure the design will be quite impressive, but I suspect far too ornate for my tastes. Even if it was the coolest sword in the line, I probably wouldn't want it just because it is Joffrey's sword![/quote]

If I was a GoT collector I wouldn't touch that sword with a 20-foot pole! Just like I don't collect the LOTR "evil" character's items, I could never stand to have a Joffrey prop in my possession. No way, no how.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Yea, I kinda felt the same; tho I do intend on getting both if/when they make them.

I agree on Oathkeeper tho, 'it is a bit much'. I am not particularly a fan of swords with that much decoration. Looks fine as a prop or as a 'ceremonial piece' I suppose. Just doesn't have much of a 'functional' feel to it in my opinion; I think it would have looked so much better with a solid wood or leather wrapped handle.

[quote=""RosereIII""]

I agree on Oathkeeper tho, 'it is a bit much'. I am not particularly a fan of swords with that much decoration. Looks fine as a prop or as a 'ceremonial piece' I suppose. Just doesn't have much of a 'functional' feel to it in my opinion; I think it would have looked so much better with a solid wood or leather wrapped handle.[/quote]

To me, the over-the-top qualities of the sword fit perfectly for the Lannister family. I love the design of the sword, but it would be one of those pieces I'd have to wear gloves when holding. Unless Valyrian steel uses solid brass (I highly doubt that) then it'll just be plated and the plating will eventually come off the more I handle it :( I wonder if they'd ever consider the scabbard? The scabbard looks like its covered with some brocade fabric instead of leather. I think Renly's scabbard from season 2 was covered in velvet.

I loved seeing the scene where Ice was melted down and reforged into Oathkeeper and Widows Wail.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

I emailed VS about Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail. They told me Oathkeeper will be limited damascus and open edition stainless, but Widow's Wail will be double limited. I'm guessing the normal one will be high carbon steel.

They also said they were unsure about scabbards, but an Oathkeeper scabbard was one of their priorities.

So, I was perusing the Kult of Athena site the other day to check their prices on some of the Valyrian Steel Game of Thrones items I did not pre-order directly from VS as they are generally much cheaper. When I clicked on the KoA GoT section, I was surprised to find a new item. Although not officially licensed as a prop replica, it is, indeed, the weapon that HBO outsourced to use in the series. It also happens to have been the weapon wielded to wicked effect during the Battle of the Blackwater by one of my favorite characters on the show--namely, Tyrion ~The Imp~ Lannister: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... ro%27s+Axe

I went back to my blu rays to confirm and this is the same axe. :thumbs_up I have already purchased mine along with a plaque that will be a good match for a Lannister weapon:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Good eye Poly! It really seems like some of the "prop-smiths" decided to use a decent amount of pre-existing items. Commander Mormont's sword was discussed earlier, Tyrion's battle axe, and another that I picked up a little while back; Viserys. Different handle, yes, but the blade is nearly identical, might eventually get around to making a new handle for it.

Screenshot:

Sword (also on KoA):

Yep I noticed that sword too Rosere, in fact I posted those two photos in this thread last year or the year before :P

Littlefinger is also using the Hanwei Stiletto.

Also, Oberyn Martell is using a heavily modified version of the Windlass Italian Stiletto :)

Did anyone else notice that the sword smith who reforged Ice in the first episode of the new season is actually the man responsible for creating the weapons for the series?
Last edited by Lindir on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yea, I noticed that too. In the books, it was Tobho Mott, the smith that Gendry apprenticed with, that melted down Ice. Shame they didn't just give Dunne THAT role. He was also in the first season; he was the one who was cutting Robb, Jon and Theon's hair in Winterfell.

On the topic of props, VS is going to be in Chicago this weekend for a 'con'. I would be really happy if they were using this chance to reveal their newest pieces...

[quote=""Lindir""]Littlefinger is also using the Hanwei Stiletto.

Also, Oberyn Martell is using a heavily modified version of the Windlass Italian Stiletto :) [/quote]

I noted the Hanwei Stiletto in the hands of the Lord of the Wandering Accent last night when I watched the newest episode. I'll have to go back to the premiere and check out Oberyn's blade as well! I got that axe last night. It is really a neat looking piece, but a bit light in the handle. As I don't intend it for actual use chopping down marauding Baratheons, it is a fine edition as a Tyrion display piece for my ever-e xp anding GoT collection! :thumbs_up

[quote=""polyphemus""]I noted the Hanwei Stiletto in the hands of the Lord of the Wandering Accent last night when I watched the newest episode. I'll have to go back to the premiere and check out Oberyn's blade as well! I got that axe last night. It is really a neat looking piece, but a bit light in the handle. As I don't intend it for actual use chopping down marauding Baratheons, it is a fine edition as a Tyrion display piece for my ever-e xp anding GoT collection! :thumbs_up [/quote]

I've seen that a lot about Aidan Gillen :P I think his irish accent was always there, its just in that more intense scene it became more clear. I find Littlefinger to be a very fascinating character and he is my favourite alongside Varys :thumbs_up

Kit, I believe you are talking about the Unsullied Helm? VS mentioned on Facebook that it was currently being photographed so I'm assuming thats what it is... unless its Oathkeeper.

[quote=""Lindir""]I've seen that a lot about Aidan Gillen :P I think his irish accent was always there, its just in that more intense scene it became more clear. I find Littlefinger to be a very fascinating character and he is my favourite alongside Varys :thumbs_up [/quote]

I love Gillen's character as well, but found that description in a review of the most recent episode and thought it funny. I have noticed his accent has seemed to vary a bit with each season. It almost seems as if he doesn't quite remember how he did it in the previous season. So, It does 'wander' quite noticeably. I try and comfort myself with the notion that, as an up-jumped peasant (more or less), he is constantly trying to sound high-born and the result is a hodgepodge because he never quite purges his native low-born manner of speech. :thumbs_up

[quote=""polyphemus""]I love Gillen's character as well, but found that description in a review of the most recent episode and thought it funny. I have noticed his accent has seemed to vary a bit with each season. It almost seems as if he doesn't quite remember how he did it in the previous season. So, It does 'wander' quite noticeably. I try and comfort myself with the notion that, as an up-jumped peasant (more or less), he is constantly trying to sound high-born and the result is a hodgepodge because he never quite purges his native low-born manner of speech. :thumbs_up [/quote]

I had also been thinking that all the people in the Fingers would speak with an Irish accent, and I drew myself to a similar conclusion as you did Poly :)

Rosere, VS have said on Facebook that Jaime's original sword will be the next one in their line. Maybes we'll see images surface soon :)

[quote=""polyphemus""]Oh boy! Well, that means another VS preorder is in the offing for me! I've been drooling over the Helm of the Unsullied since episode 4 last season![/quote]

Valyrian Steel has posted pics of the Unsullied helm and pricing info.
http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/sword ... od_46.html

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Man, this wait is killing me. I have to keep myself from checking their site every few hours for signs of their supposed next release: Jaime Lannister's sword.

On a side note: I am definitely a fan of the Red Viper and I am really hoping that HBO sends them the prop so they can produce a replica of his spear! They said they'd do it, just need the prop...

Count me down for Oberyn's spear too!

I am hoping it'll ship as one piece, rather than two, so I can twirl it around without the fear of it breaking at the connecting point :P but still, even if its two pieces I'm probably gonna get it.

Its such a shame that Oberyn's sword was never shown in any of the episodes, I was hoping we'd get a replica of that too.

I also really want Oathkeeper, but if I got that I'd want the damascus edition and they are very pricey :|

[quote=""Jash""]After finishing the season..i'm finding it REALLY hard not to have an Ice, Oathkeeper, and Widow's Wail tri sword display...[/quote]

I've just ordered Ice, sadly not the damascus version, I really hope
that Valyrian Steel make the HBO versions of Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail.

Stunning Swords.

I'd also love a set of Red Viper weapons too...

Last edited by spacemarine on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Lindir""]All HBO versions :)

I believe they're also doing a book version of Oathkeeper that they're working on now.[/quote]

Thank you Lindir.

Does anyone know if any companies are making game of thrones banners ?
I thought by now (season 4) we'd have seen someone making them.
I really want House Stark and Baratheon banners from season 1.

Last edited by spacemarine on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”