Re: Game of Thrones Swords and Props

[quote=""spacemarine""]Has anyone seen any updates on Daario Naharis' Naked Ladies or Roose Bolton's sword ? (HBO versions)[/quote]

Valyrian Steel posted some concept art for the ASoIaF book versions of Daario's ladies, but I have not heard anything yet about the HBO versions. As for Roose Bolton's sword, I rather doubt they will make that one. If they do, it will be a long time coming because they have far more fan favorite items in queue that will take precedence over the next few years.

Not sure who here still collects GoT replicas... but from VS's Facebook page: Heartsbane should be ready for pre-order in 3-4 months. Their next, and possibly last, show replica. The Stainless version will be $350, and Damascus $800 - most expensive sword to date. Unfortunately they will not be making the scabbard or antler sword stand.

Heartsbane has overtaken Oathkeeper as my favourite show sword - this is tempting...
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Striders_Heir wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:40 am I can’t WAIT to get Heartsbane. My wife just got me Widows Wail for my birthday and I ended up picking up the Catspaw blade after it “sold out.” Someone had mentioned that a few more went up for sale so I jumped on it.
That's awesome SH! Congrats on the new blades! So which GOT replicas do you have now?
Will you be getting Heartsbane in stainless or Damascus?
What are your thoughts on Widows Wail? That and Oathkeeper are still on my wishlist, but I have yet to take the plunge lol.

Jash wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:37 pm
That's awesome SH! Congrats on the new blades! So which GOT replicas do you have now?
Will you be getting Heartsbane in stainless or Damascus?
What are your thoughts on Widows Wail? That and Oathkeeper are still on my wishlist, but I have yet to take the plunge lol.
I’ll get Heartsbane in stainless. I don’t have any of the blades in Damascus, due to the high cost per item. And honestly, I don’t really like the pattern.

I really like Widow’s Wail. I will say the pommel looks better on WW than the pommel on Oathkeeper. The sword feels good in hand, again better than Oathkeeper. But I couldn’t have one without the other. If I were you, I would just buy the discounted Oathkeeper from Valyerian Steel and have a local sword shop that has the ability to sharpen it grind down the thick edge.

I only have the show swords, as I wasn’t a big fan of the book swords, outside of book Longclaw. I have Ice, Longclaw w/ scabbard, Robb’s sword w/ scabbard, Widow’s Waik, Oathkeeper, and the Catspaw dagger. My next sword will be Needle, followed by Heartsbane. I might pick up Robert’s Hammer, but I’ve never been a fan of hammers as weapons. I probably won’t buy the Red Viper spear, White Walker sword, Euron’s axe, or Khal Drogo’s Arakh. I MIGHT get the Jaime lannister sword, but only if I can get a deal on it. The sword looks too plastic for my tastes, but I was thinking of roughing it up a bit to make it less “fake” looking.

I hear ya. I actually had the Damascus Oathkeeper on pre-order... but had to cancel it due to unexpected finances. That being said, i'm happy I did - the reviews don't seem to be outstanding enough considering the cost of their Damascus blades. My plan, while in no rush, is to eventually get Oathkeeper, Widow's Wail (I mean - they have to be together lol), and Heartsbane. I currently only have the book versions of Ice and Longclaw - both of which I prefer the designs over the show versions. (...so much for me not getting into GOT sword collecting...)

I’ve recently developed an appreciation for the swords in GOT, but not the replicas. I keep looking at what Valyrian Steel are offering and find myself upset at the quality and price point.

Heartsbane is another dissapointment just judging from the photos they’ve released. The detailing on the fittings is laughable, I’d even go so far as to say knock off quality. The “bronze” finish is tacky and the handle is the wrong colour.

Here’s a photo of the cross guard on the prop
And here’s a shot of the Valyrian Steel replica
Anyone else think that’s pretty dreadful, especially given the price point they’re charging for these? That lions face is laughable.

The handle is meant to be a nice dark brown colour but there’s is a much paler colour.

Everything they do seems half arsed. They released the Oathkeeper scabbard without the belts - the only scabbard in their lineup to not have a belt - because they didn’t receive the belt :rolleye:

I’m pretty sure they could have requested photos and even found photos of the belts on the internet if HBO wouldn’t supply them.

The Red Vipers spear is another replica that looks dreadful. It seems odd scale wise and that area where the snakeskin bunches up under the spear head is wrong. I don’t think it was as solid piece on the prop, but rather the leather was just gathered there.

Needless to say, though I was initially tempted, I’ll not be buying any replicas from Valyrian Steel.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Good grief!

Not only does the replica look like a different sword altogether, it doesn't even look like a replica but more like a cheap toy instead.

Unless you're talking Peter Lyon-level work, you're never expecting a replica to match the prop in every detail, but that thing is just laughable, and if it is representative of the other replicas in the GoT line rather than a one-off, then Valyrian Steel should be ashamed of themselves for approving and selling this crap. I wouldn't expect to see a cartoon lion like that on a Narnia sword, nevermind GoT.

So, how much are they charging for this lousy, not-fit for a 10-year old's Halloween costume sword?
This Space for Rent

I’m glad I’m not alone Val haha, I was worried I was being too harsh but it’s just a poor effort all round.

The standard stainless steel version (the one pictured above) is $350 and the Damascus version is $800!!!

$800 for the exact same fittings but just a more expensive blade. There’s no way I’d pay even the stainless steel price for this sword :rolleye:

Also I agree it probably wouldn’t ever be 100%, but Kit has shown us that it’s possible to get very close with the work he’s done on the UC LOTR and Hobbit replicas.

All of their swords have this awful cheap toy feeling, at least in the photos they release. I’ve never seen or held one in person and don’t particularly want to anymore. I was tempted but Oathkeeper, but seeing photos of the original bronze hilt makes me wish they’d done something better.

Valkrist wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:53 am They have his evil and far less talented twin, Rit Kae. :laugh:
Worse than "less talented" ... incompetent, squared and cubed.

Edit: The above opinion is a bit harsh....I'll revise it to Val's merely "less talented".

As for being evil he may be.... or he may not be.
A very virtuous person may really be incompetent, and an ultra-talented person may be extremely vicious; been known to happen, juneau....

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I don’t know who is to blame in this situation? Is it someone in Kit’s position who does the work to bring the design into the replica medium? Or is it the higher ups at Valyrian Steel who either rush these out or who don’t want to spend too much to get the details right?

Also why did HBO approve this? Did the person approving it ever look at the prop?

Yes, Deimos, they may not be evil, just incompetent.

I know i'm judging a sword replica based purely on prototype pictures.... but still.... damn.

Heartsbane was the sword i was looking forward to the most! But it's a definite pass after seeing this. I agree, it looks like a toy. As if someone used metallic paint over plastic. I think the only one that appears moreso in that manner would be their Jaime Lannister replica. I honestly don't know how they can charge $350 usd / $800 usd for this stuff. I'm wondering how much of that (compared to "Tolkien") is due to royalties? Since the UC LOTR swords are better in pretty much every aspect, for almost half the price (vs the stainless version). In addition, i don't see how a mass produced Chinese-made Damascus blade alone can cost $450..... since, that is the only difference between the 2 versions.

The sad part is... I had told myself that i will no longer support Valyrian Steel due to them remaking sold out limited editions. Heartsbane was going to be my path back into GOT swords. Guess not.

Deimos wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:33 am Well, we can see that UC obviously has Kit Rae, and Valyrian Steel.....doesn't. *snicker*
I was actually asked to help on that one after they were having trouble getting the 3D CAD to look right, but it was a bit late to do much at that stage without completely starting over. I helped them get the basic hilt shapes more accurate, but not the fine sculptural details or textures. The 3D draftsman at the factory did that. I supplied basic outline drawings without the sculptural details, and organized the photos of the various versions of the parts available that showed the details. They went with the version they had the most detailed photos of, and it was not the one in the photo Lindir posted.

A big problem for them was that the reference photos of the 3D modeled parts and the bronze cast parts they were given are very different and far less detailed than the ones used to make the sword in that photo. That was not clear until later, after I was asked to consult. I determined that there were actually three different versions of the hilt parts, if I remember right, and they all had different detailing. It was a chore trying to figure out which was which. There were only a few photos I found of that more detailed prop, and the one posted above was the best of them. This was several years ago, so I don't remember which one was actually used in the show, or if that was even determined. I don't think it ever really got a good closeup.

Regardless, even if they had good reference photos of the whole sword in that photo, they would not have been able to model that in 3D. That would require old school hand sculpting in wax or wood and 3D scanning, but I don't think they had that option available at the time.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
KRDS

Thanks for chiming in, Kit!

Was it a financial reason? I’m guessing it could also have been something like them not having any staff members able to do it or if they were outsourcing they couldn’t find anyone?

It’s interesting that there’s more than one prop though and that the fittings are slightly different.

Still, I am of the opinion that it’s not my cup of tea, and I’ve also spotted some further issues with other swords in their lineup that just put me off.

I hope if Netflix ever offer up the license for Witcher replicas UC gets it.

Lindir wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:28 am Was it a financial reason? I’m guessing it could also have been something like them not having any staff members able to do it or if they were outsourcing they couldn’t find anyone?
No, idea. It's just that 3D draftsmen at these factories are not generally artists or sculptors, so when detailing gets sculptural they are at a loss. In the old days we used to sculpt or carve everything, then that was taken to the factory and pantographed to cut the copper electrodes to make the tooling. That's not done anymore. Nowadays it's all created in 3D CAD and the electrodes for the tooling are cut by CNC using that 3D file. If you need something carved, you have to go find a good carver, then you have to take that to a company that does hi-res 3D scanning to get it into CAD. It just does not happen much these days in the knife and sword industry. I do it if a client has no other choice and they can wait on me, but its rare these days. Usually when I tell a client how long it will take, they say no thanks. That was not the case on this project, as I was not asked, and did not have the time then anyway.
Lindir wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:28 amIt’s interesting that there’s more than one prop though and that the fittings are slightly different.
I don't know if there was more than one assembled prop, I just know there were multiple versions of the guard and pommel.
Lindir wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:28 amStill, I am of the opinion that it’s not my cup of tea
Same here. I wish I could have taken on developing that whole line and done it the way I do other replicas. There were a few of those swords I would have loved to own.
Lindir wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:28 amI hope if Netflix ever offer up the license for Witcher replicas UC gets it.
I think UC did try, but there was no interest.
KRDS

Thanks for letting us know, Kit. It’s always fascinating learning about these replicas come to life and the various ways in which companies like UC and Valyrian Steel use to get these items to market.

It’s a shame. I wish you had been involved. Not to come across as overly sycophantic, but I truly believe that the replicas would have been vastly improved if Valyrian Steel had contracted you to bring them to life. It feels like a massive wasted opportunity. The most recent blunder I came across was the width or the fuller on the Oathkeeper blade. In the show it’s much wider than the replica which had a very narrow fuller.

That’s also a shame about the Witcher replicas. I’m hoping Netflix will reconsider in the future.

Ronin wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:49 am Nice sword. I didn't know Snagglepuss was in GOT.[/quote

HAHA...that was great! :laugh:
And if not Snagglepuss then the Pink Panther.

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:08 pm
Same here. I wish I could have taken on developing that whole line and done it the way I do other replicas. There were a few of those swords I would have loved to own.
Lindir wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:28 amI hope if Netflix ever offer up the license for Witcher replicas UC gets it.
I think UC did try, but there was no interest.
Out of curiosity Kit, which are your favourite swords from the show?

I wonder if anyone has the Witcher sword license yet....? I'm surprised with the popularity of the show, i have not seen any official swords being sold yet.

Jash wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:42 am I wonder if anyone has the Witcher sword license yet....? I'm surprised with the popularity of the show, i have not seen any official swords being sold yet.
I wonder if the current state of the world and economics might not be putting the brakes on some licensing deals. The collectible market is 100% driven by disposable income.

Also, though yes, the show is very popular, Netflix could be waiting until season 2 has aired and the show has truly taken hold, and that perhaps there are more blades then to make for a more expansive line? Then again, there have been plenty of movies and franchises that have only one or two blades out there, so what do I know? :crazy2:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:55 am I wonder if the current state of the world and economics might not be putting the brakes on some licensing deals. The collectible market is 100% driven by disposable income.

Also, though yes, the show is very popular, Netflix could be waiting until season 2 has aired and the show has truly taken hold, and that perhaps there are more blades then to make for a more expansive line? Then again, there have been plenty of movies and franchises that have only one or two blades out there, so what do I know? :crazy2:
....like the one sword replica from the latest "King Arthur" movie? haha. I think that sword has been on clearance for a while.
Some good points there Val. If I remember correctly, the LOTR swords were actually released just prior the movie opening day. Partly to drive the hype, and partly to have a good amount of stock for when people were ready to buy. So very good point on maybe waiting for the release of Season 2. And yes, 2020 is a whole different issue lol.

Jash wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:19 am ...
Some good points there Val. If I remember correctly, the LOTR swords were actually released just prior the movie opening day. Partly to drive the hype, and partly to have a good amount of stock for when people were ready to buy. So very good point on maybe waiting for the release of Season 2. ....
Or...OR.....wait until a year or two after the hype ends.....(this in ref to LOTR)....I didn't start sword collecting until late 2004 and picked up a half dozen or so [new] ---Anduril (non LE) , Glamdring, Sting, Lego FK, Aragorn elven Dagger, Herugrim , Hadhafang --- all under $150 , some 'way under (Sting and Lego FK about $115-$120 ,I think) .
A few years later I got [new] Bo's sword and Eowyn's sword ($160 ea) . Later still [new] swords of Isildur and Narsil, Bearded Axe and Walking Axe (All $99 ea).

Deals like that If , IF, one is willing to wait.....(but not many people are that patient....)

Deimos wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:24 pm
Deals like that If , IF, one is willing to wait.....(but not many people are that patient....)
...also due to the fact that LOTR has far greater reach and recognition than something far less well-known, like the Witcher - meaning there were enough items produced for deals to be had. A lot of other franchises don't have their collectibles catch on and are a "one and done" kind of thing. This in turn could actually lead to the one or two items they did produce becoming rare, excluding when the source is utter crap, like the aforementioned King Arthur movie... :barf:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:41 pm
Deimos wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:24 pm
...also due to the fact that LOTR has far greater reach and recognition than something far less well-known, like the Witcher - meaning there were enough items produced for deals to be had. A lot of other franchises don't have their collectibles catch on and are a "one and done" kind of thing. This in turn could actually lead to the one or two items they did produce becoming rare, excluding when the source is utter crap, like the aforementioned King Arthur movie... :barf:
Twue....verwy twue.....

Actually I'm [still] waiting for the Noble Collection "Deathless" to become so rare that some deranged collector (hereafter DC)is willing to pay $1600 for it like another DC did for the NC Gandalf Staff.
I guess the latter DC is crying in his beer now that the Moria staff is being produced by UC (or is this a Weta product?)

Jash wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:42 am
Nasnandos wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:08 pm Out of curiosity Kit, which are your favourite swords from the show?
It would be a shorter list to say which ones are not favorites, but I really like Heartsbane and Ice. I liked my book version of Ice better, had they not put those words on the cross guard, but the HBO version was fitting.

After the book version of Longclaw I helped design went south, I had high hopes for the HBO version, but that was my least favorite sword in the show. I hated it.
KRDS

Kit - if i read your reply correctly, did you design the book version Ice?? If so, I'm a huge fan of that sword. It's 1 of only 2 GOT swords i currently own. If possible, I would love to see your version of the Book Longclaw :)

Deimos - haha i agree, like you, i'm never in a rush to purchase a sword replica. That's one reason i dislike limited editions, it's that pressure into buying now or paying for it later. I've always enjoyed "the hunt" for pieces that are sold out. I've found many great pieces in flea markets, pawn shops, and oldschool sword stores (without websites lol).

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”