Re: Castle Kon is Open For Business

[quote=""RevAnakin""].....
Q: Do you really have awesome long hair like a Knight of Gondor?
A: Yes! And I have been known, back when I was in Florida, to stand outside during a hurricane with my flag and yell "FOR GONDOR!!!!!!" with my hair blowing in the wind.[/quote]

Which is why he had to leave Florida....what with media coverage showing this nut-case standing in the middle of a Cat 3 storm and yelling, and the local psych hospital sending out the guys with the butterfly nets....

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Now comes the long wait. :(

Mag and Nick should get theirs in the blink of an eye, but Idril and I are probably going to suffer for another 2-3 weeks minimum. That's assuming all the Maces are free of damage and Rev doesn't have to return any of them.

Also praying that nothing bad happens on the last leg of their journey. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Ok... Bad news, worse news, and maybe news:

Bad: The numbers on the boxes are completely wrong. Each mace is sharpie numbered in the mid 200s.

Worse: one of them is terrible, no doubt will be sent back. Two have cracked tips (minimal) I'd say 90-95% quality.

Maybe: One does not have any visible cracking but has some paint problems, minor... 97% quality.

No. ??? Don't care didn't check, terrible condition:
http://s222.photobucket.com/user/RevanF ... t=3&page=1

No. 239, has cracked tip.

No. 234: best condition, no cracking, tip has a paint problem and shaft has paint chip among other paint ehssss.

No. 262, great shape other than cracked tip. less than 239 though.

So Val being the first customer has the first number, 234 on hold but is on the fence on whether or not to send it back and wait for the next batch.

What do you all think? Do any of these other fit your fancy or are they all unacceptable. I'm already sending back one and I don't mind sending them all. Please let me know!

I would love for Kit to peek in here and give us his thoughts on these flaws. It seems more like minor manufacturing defects that QC did not deem worthy enough to flag, rather than shipping mishaps.

I would like to hear a professional and insider's thoughts on whether what we see in these photos (aside from the one with the obvious fracture all the way around,) is supposed to be an acceptable norm? In other words, are we just chasing an impossible ideal in sending these back because the replacements will likely suffer from the same minor issues, or are there truly flawless Maces out there?

I just don't want to get caught in an endless game of cat-and-mouse with UC over returns. Maybe it would have been better if we hadn't asked Rev to open these, because once they are in our hands, it becomes a little easier to overlook these things, but on the other hand, just think if you had received the one that is badly cracked? :(
This Space for Rent

In my opinion 234 could be touched up in less than 20 minutes with $1 in paint. Not a big deal. I also believe 262 isn't as bad as 239 because that crack does not go all the way around the tip.

My concern: if these aren't 100% when they leave my house, and if they get damaged in shipping, the customer has to decide on that AND the previous imperfection.

Well this stinks!!!

Here is my thoughts- I can touch up minor imperfections and paint issues- I got pretty decent with that using my Witchking Helm. However cracks I just cannot have and do not want to have to try fixing something something as major as that.

Rev, if you don't feel good about them then I will agree with you!

Thanks for going this extra mile for us Rev.

I must admit, it is a bit depressing. I can see where Val is coming from. Are we chasing an impossible dream? If so, we will all be mace-less forever.

I guess, I'm not too worried about paint chips. I am worried about cracks and even minor ones. Due to a long journey down to Australia, I fear they would worsen.

Its a shame this first batch is plagued with issues. As mine didn't have any cracking on the shaft there are a lot of minor imperfection and even small chip defect on the top of the spikes, even spots where they have ground off areas of further imperfections. I do have a feeling all of these with have some sort of these type of issues, but it is a small price to pay to actually have the mace in your collection.

I've just emailed Rev letting him know that I am accepting Mace #234.

Based on Kit's and N2's comments, and given a replica of this size and complexity, minor paint flaws and a tiny chip or two are just bound to be the unfortunate, but not unacceptable, norm. Like N2 said in the other thread, it's hard to pick up any of our current replicas and not find one or two tiny little things that shouldn't be there or could be better. Such is the nature of this business.

I do agree that any type of crack is a matter for concern and should be returned.

I've waited too long for this item to risk getting caught in the trap of waiting endlessly for a perfect Mace, when it is highly likely there is no such thing. And now having said that, and with my luck, watch the next three that Rev receives be perfect. :P
This Space for Rent

That's one thing I hadn't considered: is there a threshold at which United can simply say there is an acceptable defect rate, and some flaws are just too minor to make something eligible for a return?

I remember when N2 had problems with his Rivendell statue, and at some point Weta just told him that the flaws were within their range of acceptability. Someone else here also posted how they had issues getting Kult of Athena to admit that an advertised helm was not defective, when the pictures clearly showed that it was.

I'm sure rules differ from one retailer to another, and in the case of United, they are the manufacturer, so at which point can they just say no?
This Space for Rent

Well, as a customer you have the right to return just about anything for just about any reason. Asking for a replacement for these types of defects is a different story. You can usually always get your money back, excluding shipping. It's usually up to the supplier to determine how sever the defect it to warrant an exchange or just a refund if they deem the customer too picky. I think with these being the first batch there will be some changes to both quality and packaging. Being first and pre-ordering most of the time has it's disadvantages as were the guineapigs in quality control.
Last edited by N2darkness on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”