Re: More Fantasy Coins on Kickstarter

Yup, I'm already a backer of that Kickstarter, and I can't wait to get the coins in my hands. The Kickstarter page states a mid-July delivery date, but the Drawlab folks say they may be able to begin shipping sooner.

The pledge is only charged if a project is successfully funded (and this one was fully funded in just over a day!), and then it only hits your card on the "funded by" date -- in this case, the afternoon of April 7th.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Someone told me that you don't actually pay until the project if fully funded (so I guess it's like pledging an amount).

But Buckeye should know the answer since she did it for another project (which also happened to be fantasy /game coins :D )

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]Someone told me that you don't actually pay until the project if fully funded (so I guess it's like pledging an amount).

But Buckeye should know the answer since she did it for another project (which also happened to be fantasy /game coins :D )[/quote]

Actually, I missed the funding period for that other coin project. I ended up buying some of those coins post-project via their retail website. It's cheaper (and there are also some "stretch goal" perks for backers, in this case free shipping, too.) to get in on the Kickstarter.

For the answer to the timing of payment, please see my previous post. :)

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

When I backed the Fantasy Coins that Buckeye and I both have , they charged my card when they e xp ected to start shipping from the factory overseas . Guess that was when they needed to pay for their items . Anyway , once I paid I believe it was a little over two months before I received the items . I had placed the order several months prior to that .

[quote=""Deimos""]I really like these.....they look realistic. :)

Funding is only for a few more days

[url]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dr ... nav_search[/URL][/quote]

This Kickstarter is rapidly coming to a close. I've been following it for several weeks and it's been fascinating. With just over one day remaining, they are closing in on 1000% funding. This weekend they were in the top 2% of all Kickstarter projects. That speaks volumes for the quality of the coins and their designs.

I will probably be upping my pledge (again . . . I'm weak :D ) today.

Many backers have suggested other coin set themes, both historical and fantasy, so I'm hoping the Drawlab team will do another similar Kickstarter project in the near future.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I am not sure how Shire Post does it, but most Kickstarters charge at the end of the campaign and it takes months (sometimes years) before the product comes out. I am pretty active on Kickstarter so...[/quote]

Unlike many Kickstarter projects like this that have their stuff made in Taiwan or other far flung places, both Shire Post and Drawlab are making their coins in their own facilities. In fact, they are already making the coins. The Drawlab coins should ship sometime between mid-June and mid-July.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""RevAnakin""]That's true, I Kickstarted Fantasy coins and got tons of Dwarven stuff along with their dwarven gold/silver bars. I really liked that KS. I got tons of coins for like $65. This one is a bit too high for my pocketbook at the moment.[/quote]

I missed the pledge period for that Kickstarter, but was able to purchase coins and bars afterward at retail. I was lucky to get the bars. They sold out FAST. Rumor has it that they are already in the planning stages for another Kickstarter and intend to do lots of bars. :)

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]I ended up backing this one. Collector's Set...and then...y'know, 4 more Collector's Sets. Impulse decision.

The quality seems really high on these and though I don't do any gaming where they'd be useful, as display pieces they're really cool.[/quote]

I completely agree. I'm getting sets to collect and for display. I'm also helping a friend who owns a shop that has an active group of LARP Steampunk patrons. I suggested, and she agreed, that picking up a 25 for $20 set of the silver Steampunk coin was good business (I added them to my pledge.) I think she can mark them up quite a bit and they'll still fly out the door. :thumbs_up

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Buckeye""]I completely agree. I'm getting sets to collect and for display. I'm also helping a friend who owns a shop that has an active group of LARP Steampunk patrons. I suggested, and she agreed, that picking up a 25 for $20 set of the silver Steampunk coin was good business (I added them to my pledge.) I think she can mark them up quite a bit and they'll still fly out the door. :thumbs_up [/quote]

OK...I've never done this before... I pledged $21 (Custom set plus $1 more)...they want me to fill out the CC info and make the pledge...and this is BEFORE I even select what coins I want? Or did I miss something?

Yes, you provide your CC info and the $$ amount you want to pledge up front. Once you are an official backer you can change your pledge level and/or $$ as often as you wish (until the campaign ends). When the campaign has ended, you will receive a Kickstarter pledge survey to gather info. At that point you provide your mailing address and all of the specific details regarding your order.

My pledge survey is going to be complicated to complete. ;)
Last edited by Buckeye on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Thank you...I saw one of the FAQs asked the same thing.... I pledged $22 for the custom set 20 coins, plus 2 more at $1.00 ...and the two free ones makes 24 coins.

Fine, I'm in... for two sets!

I am justifying it as the Greek coins are seriously much better than my Fantasy Coins and the Elven go nicely with the other Elven one. I'll state it that they are different coin types for different Elven Kingdoms (Lothlorian vs Mirkwood?)

I may add the dwarven later... but I really like the dwarven coins from Fantasy Coin better.

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]You guys are e xp osing me to a whole new thing to start collecting...I'm very intrigued with the whole concept of fantasy coins. Where have people picked these up before, besides Kickstarter?[/quote]

Yet another thing to collect . . . just what some of (don't) need. :crazy:

I first became aware of fantasy coins through Kickstarter. I also have been able to find a few coins on Etsy or eBay. Most of those, though, are actually coins that were originally created as part of previous Kickstarter projects. Go figure.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""RevAnakin""]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fa ... escription

There you go! They are supposedly kicking off a second campaign in the next week or two.[/quote]

Excellent news! And the rumors I had heard are true. They are going in for a lot more bars. Arrrgh . . . another Kickstarter on which to spend money I don't have. :P Like I said elsewhere last week, this is shaping up to be an e xp ensive year for me. In for a penny, in for a pound.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

The Legendary Coins campaign ended, reaching ~ $107,250... I think the initial goal was $8000... pretty impressive ending.

The average pledge was $70.50. I increased mine from $22 to $44.

We'll see if they meet their e xp ected coin release dates of July of this year . I know the Fantasy Coins Kickstarter release date was delayed a few months , but worth it in the end . I spent $70 there and $67 on this one . If I remember correct I got over 100 coins with Fantasy Coins and with 4 sets here will be 96 plus whatever freebies go into the pot . Quite a nice little coin collection between the two . Even though I like the coins , I will not be venturing into the Shire Post Realm . These will do for my little Smaug hoard . Mixed in with the coins from Weta and probably a second set painted silver as some have already done , maybe a third in bronze , but I doubt it .

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]I like some of the ones Rev pointed out. While I like the one we're backing now, they seem to be common themes. I want to see some coins for more esoteric ideas like the ones at Fantasy Coin LLC with the Serpentine coins, and element coins like Fire and Water.[/quote]

If you like coins, especially with element-themed designs, have you seen the Rare Elements Foundry pieces?
https://www.rareelementsfoundry.com/shop/

I especially like the Oceanscape water element coins:
https://www.rareelementsfoundry.com/pro ... coin-pack/

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

I am probably going to get a set of the Forge Masters, I think they will look cool with my other dwarven coins from last time.

Also, good news is that they are going to be selling many of the older coins as part of this kickstarter!

One bad thing though, I cannot stand when people post incomplete campaigns. There are already too many un-answered questions. Let me tell you, if I ever kickstart something, it will be as solid and professional as possible before I go live.

I had the same problem. I tried to determine how much I would need to commit to get the Elvish bars and was having trouble. Even their downloaded spreadsheet errored out for me. Made it easier to not contribute.

My problem with this campaign is that the coins look too...perfect? The "Legendary Metal Coins" have a very circulated look to them, aged just right. These ones look too pristine. Almost plastic. Every image looks like it was meticulously designed to be symmetrical and perfectly carved on to the coin, which means the coins just don't have enough character. I might look through their older coins if they're available through this one, though. I don't know all the ones that have been offered in the past.

I will probably pick up the Dwarven Forge set because I think they look good (a bit too perfect, but cool nonetheless). I have their previous Dwarven coins, and I will simply add the new ones to the lot. I also plan to pick up some of the hex gems and add them to my Smaug coins for some treasure variety. :)

I'm on the fence about the Elven bars. I'll need to see pics of the real items before making a decision. I have some of the Dwarven bars from their last set and they are VERY nice.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Good news, not sure if you saw my comment, but he is going to be selling the mini dwarf bars during this campaign too![/quote]

Those small bars are also nice. Did he say if they will be offering the large and small bars in both gold and silver, or just gold?

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

At this point , my only interest is the Forge Masters set , Maybe some of the gems . Nothing else really jumps out at me . Price of the Elven bar may sway me as I do have the Dwarven bars from before , the design is nice . We shall see , getting nicer out , most of my *extra :D money will go into trying to get my car on the road this year ! !

The Fantasy Coins LLC Kickstarter campaign is in its final 6+ hours. If you've been thinking about it but haven't jumped in . . . now's the time to pledge for some coins, bars, or gems.

I'm picking up some Dwarven coins, some bars, and a bunch of gems (the new small gems he added late in the campaign are nice).

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”