Gandalf Pipe Staff- Weta vs UC

Not a comparison review as I imagine many would have hoped to see. I'm curious though what others who do have both versions or are familiar with both versions have to say about them. What's the pros and cons of each?

The UC version is cast from a mold of the Hobbit prop. The Weta version is supposedly made from the LOTR mold of the pipe staff but I've read someone say that the branches on the crown seem closer to what is seen on the Hobbit pipe staff which might be what Weta is actually using for their replica.

I have the UC version and I love it but I'm debating whether or not I want to drill a hole for the strap and carve in the Gandalf rune. I realize it's meant to be a replica of what we see in the BOTFA and not FOTR but I really like the tobacco pouch, strap, and rune. I think I may just buy the Weta version the next time they have a sale.

Re: Gandalf Pipe Staff- Weta vs UC

Can't review the Weta version as I only have the UC one, but Kit is usually full of knowledge on the version differences so he might chime in. I know this was discussed before on the main UC thread but it will be a few pages back.

One warning about the Weta version: for some weird and unknown reason, they no longer offer a wall mount for it. It came with one at first, as did all their previous staves, then they stopped. When people complained about not receiving one, they changed the description on the website to remove all mention of the mount, gave out a few to people that had bought the staff while it was advertised with a mount, but said further purchases would not include it. They never explained why and I find the whole episode bizarre and stupid on their part.

I know N2 drilled his UC staff and carved the rune so if you need some pointers on that, he might help you out if you ask nicely. :laugh: Had I the courage and skill, I would have tried it myself but I didn't want to chance ruining the staff so I had him just send me a leather strap that I tied around the staff rather than through it. As for the pouch, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Buckeye will make a few for us one day. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Yeah I did manage to find those couple of pages of Kit talking about the differences (can't remember if it was the UC thread or the "New Weta everywhere you look" thread).

The detail is said to better in the Weta but looking at images here they look the same. Maybe the difference is more apparent in person? And I do wish they included a wall mount. What a glaring omission. If I couldn't display it somehow, I would just throw it back in the box and pull it out when I feel like looking at it. I wouldn't leave it standing up against a wall or anything. Or I'd have to install a basic wall mount. One of the pros in favor of the UC staff is its mount and how it flows with the other UC mounts.

I'll see. If Weta offers up that 50% sale again, maybe I'll pick up their staff. I didn't want to double dip but hey I can say they're technically two different props :laugh:

The differences are basically what I said in that thread. I do like Weta's paint job slightly better, even though the color seems to be a bit off. And if I had a choice of with or without the rune, I would definitely get the one with it. Especially now that I know the prop used in every scene in BOFA is the one with it, including when Radagast first handed it to Gandalf.
KRDS

From a timeline perspective, it makes no sense that Gandalf's rune would already be on the staff when Radagast gave it to him. How did he even know that Gandalf was going to need a staff? I don't get why Radagast would be carving another wizard's rune on his own staff before there was even a reason for it. Unless I missed something, that's a silly continuity error.
This Space for Rent

Sorry for this little side step but, Kit, do you know anything about Beorn’s involvement in the Dol Guldur sequences? Obviously this was removed entirely from the trilogy, but they designed a war axe for him, there’s photos of him covered in blood and you can see him in the bts material in the Dol Guldur set. On the blood, the blood is red if I remember correctly which is interesting because orc blood is black so whose blood was he meant to be covered in? His own? I also think there were scenes with him and Radagast. Most likely at Dol Guldur.

The BOTFA still remains my least favourite extended cut. I’ve been watching the bts materials for the movie again and really wish they’d kept the acorn scene in and the scene where Gandalf talks to Thranduil about his wife. That last sequence is very brief but still it would have been great to have it in the movie.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Return to “New Products, Release Dates, & Updates”