Hello from Australia

Hi all. I'm a long time collector of ME and UC items in particular. I have a great love of all swords but restrict my purchases to the Tolkien realms.

I work in IT. Live in Australia and am a woman with 3 teenage boys, 2 as mad as me about swords and middle earth.

I've just bought Eomers helm from Thranduil and it was he who pointed me in this direction. So enough about me. I better get reading some of these threads.

:horseback

Re: Hello from Australia

Welcome to th UCF, Idril. This little corner of the Internet is full of wonderful people who are passionate about LOTR and collecting in general. I think you'll like it here. :)

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Hello Idril we known each other for quite some time from The Shadow and Flame forum and i'm glad you find your way into this UCF forum.

Lot's of people here with wisdom of weapons and allways glad to help with any advice whatsoever.

Kind Regards,

Dark Shadow. :thumbs_up

P.S: Awesome collection you have in your signature congrat's.
Last edited by Dark Shadow on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Welcome to our little corner of the internet, Idril. :)

If you are the same person from Shadow & Flame as Dark Shadow alluded to, then I can say I've enjoyed reading your posts there.

At long last, I think Arwyniel is finally not the only woman on this forum anymore. :D

Oh, congratulations also on the purchase of your Eomer helm. I think with that announcement alone, you've made more than half of our entire membership jealous of you already. ;)
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]...
At long last, I think Arwyniel is finally not the only woman on this forum anymore. :D [/quote]

uhhhh Val....I think you owe Nerdanel an apology....and a teeny bit of groveling wouldn't hurt either ;) .

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]uhhhh Val....I think you owe Nerdanel an apology....and a teeny bit of groveling wouldn't hurt either.[/quote]

Oops...well, I'll be... :huh:

I always thought the choice of the name 'Nerdanel' was a bit odd for a guy, but hey, maybe he had a soft spot for one of the only gingers in Tolkien's world. Didn't even occur to me Nerdanel was a woman. I guess we're just so used to this hobby being something mainly taken up by men who refuse to grow up. :P

My apologies then, to the lady. :embarasse

Now we have three, unless there are more I don't know about. ;)
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Oops...well, I'll be... :huh:

I always thought the choice of the name 'Nerdanel' was a bit odd for a guy, but hey, maybe he had a soft spot for one of the only gingers in Tolkien's world. Didn't even occur to me Nerdanel was a woman. I guess we're just so used to this hobby being something mainly taken up by men who refuse to grow up.

My apologies then, to the lady. :embarasse

Now we have three, unless there are more I don't know about. ;) [/quote]

Well . . . those of you who have worked with me via PM, email, PayPal, etc. already know this, but I am also a proud lady member of the UCF. :coolsmile

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Buckeye""]Well . . . those of you who have worked with me via PM, email, PayPal, etc. already know this, but I am also a proud lady member of the UCF. :coolsmile [/quote]

... no offense...... but really?! I always assumed you were a guy/man/bloke (as we british say). I don't know why I am so shocked :P it actually feels good having a mixed group of users :)

:( I feel guilty for assuming though. Please accept my apologies, Buckeye.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Buckeye""]Well . . . those of you who have worked with me via PM, email, PayPal, etc. already know this, but I am also a proud lady member of the UCF. :coolsmile [/quote]

Oh wow, majorly striking out here. I do know your real first name, but I also know a guy with that exact same name, so I didn't think much of it. Now I'm really wondering who else I may have mistakenly assumed is a male around here. :huh:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Oh wow, majorly striking out here. I do know your real first name, but I also know a guy with that exact same name, so I didn't think much of it. Now I'm really wondering who else I may have mistakenly assumed is a male around here. :huh: [/quote]

[quote=""Lindir""]... no offense...... but really?! I always assumed you were a guy/man/bloke (as we british say). I don't know why I am so shocked :P it actually feels good having a mixed group of users

:( I feel guilty for assuming though. Please accept my apologies, Buckeye.[/quote]

There is absolutely no need to apologize. I never made it a point of saying one way or the other, and there is nothing about my UCF username to give it away. My first name can also be either male or female, usually depending on the specific spelling.

Given the nature of LOTR collecting and the fact that the vast majority of the members here are male, it was a very reasonable assumption that I was a guy. It's all good. :)

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Valkrist""]Oh wow, majorly striking out here. I do know your real first name, but I also know a guy with that exact same name, so I didn't think much of it. Now I'm really wondering who else I may have mistakenly assumed is a male around here. :huh: [/quote]

OK...this will make Thrandy very happy....

Hello....my name is Marie...very pleased to meet you all. :)
(And, no, 'Deimos' is neither my middle name nor my last name :D )

[quote=""Deimos""]OK...this will make Thrandy very happy....

Hello....my name is Marie...very pleased to meet you all. :)
(And, no, 'Deimos' is neither my middle name nor my last name :D )[/quote]

Huh? I can't make sense of any of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Idril ran away over how weird we're being in her hello thread. :P
This Space for Rent

Hello....my name is Marie...very pleased to meet you all.
YEAH! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
I was reading this thread and I thought,"Now here's an opportunity for you to get this out". AND YOU DID!

Very cool, we have a lot of fine ladies among us.

And welcome to the UCF Idril!
Um wait..............okay 4 days without an update on tracking, that means your Eomer Helm is in the air headed down under. Maybe landing tomorrow.

Anyway, this has made my day, I'll bet Nerdanel & Arwyniel feel a lot more comfortable now.

And guys, are we not so very presumptuous or what? No wonder they roll their eyes and say, "Men!"
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]YEAH! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
I was reading this thread and I thought,"Now here's an opportunity for you to get this out". AND YOU DID!

Very cool, we have a lot of fine ladies among us.

And welcome to the UCF Idril!
Um wait..............okay 4 days without an update on tracking, that means your Eomer Helm is in the air headed down under. Maybe landing tomorrow.

Anyway, this has made my day, I'll bet Nerdanel & Arwyniel feel a lot more comfortable now.

And guys, are we not so very presumptuous or what? No wonder they roll their eyes and say, "Men!"[/quote]

And Buckeye! Jeez...Val leaves out Nerdanel and you forget Buckeye! Men! :rolleye:

Hello....my name is Marie...very pleased to meet you all. :

That one caught me off guard :crazy:

Val, I'm starting to think us male members are actually going to turn out to be the minority soon :P

Thrandy you're right, we are presumptuous indeed :P

[quote=""Valkrist""]Huh? I can't make sense of any of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Idril ran away over how weird we're being in her hello thread. :P [/quote]

Yes, sorry Idril....I don't think I've ever seen a more spectacular thread hijacking than this...

Anyway, Welcome to the family...kind of a goofy family, but still a family :)

[quote=""Deimos""]Yes, sorry Idril....I don't think I've ever seen a more spectacular thread hijacking than this...

Anyway, Welcome to the family...kind of a goofy family, but still a family :) [/quote]

Yup, definitely a hijacked thread at this point.

To get us back on track . . . this place really is wonderful and the people here are truly, as the folks in Maine like to say, the "finest kind." :)

Welcome to the UCF!

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Deimos""]And Buckeye! Jeez...Val leaves out Nerdanel and you forget Buckeye! Men! :rolleye: [/quote]
Well Val took the words out of my mouth when he said he knew a guy with the name spelled the same,

but I AM just as guilty :embarasse

Did you put your hands on your hips when you said, "Men!" :crazy:

We're not going to scare Idril off Val, she's my best customer down under and made it possible for me to tell people I sell my stuff all over the world.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Oh bugger! Deimos too?!? :O

Now I feel like I really stuck my foot in my mouth back when I said Deimos should be the leader of our Dirty Dozen merry band, because *he* was the oldest. :embarasse

Man, I'm the UCF doghouse until the end of time for that one.

Ok, well, anyone else want to reveal they are a woman also? Fin? Rosere? :huh:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Buckeye""]There is absolutely no need to apologize. I never made it a point of saying one way or the other, and there is nothing about my UCF username to give it away. My first name can also be either male or female, usually depending on the specific spelling.

Given the nature of LOTR collecting and the fact that the vast majority of the members here are male, it was a very reasonable assumption that I was a guy. It's all good. :) [/quote]

I'm quoting Buckeye because it applied to my situation as well.

As I told Thrandy privately (during the early Helm of Eomer development when I had to "reveal my identity") when he almost fell all over himself apologizing, this was not a case of "Catch Me if You Can" ...or "I left clues everywhere for them to pick up and they still think I'm a guy!"

I left no clues, there was nothing to pick up on.
I kept my identity vague for personal reasons.

Now those reasons are no longer relevant.

So Val, really, no offense was ever taken against any member of this forum for assuming I was a guy.

(Except now both Fin and Lindir know that I'm nearly old enough to be their grandmother, not their grandfather :P )

Hands on your hips , Thrand , Really , too funny . I pictured the same thing ! ! ;)

Val , my name may be spelled the same as a girls , Shawn , but alas I am a male , so no surprise here ! ! Although Deimos , was a surprise , especially with the Avatar choice . Although my daughter loves dragons and would probably pick something similar :thumbs_up

I too now am curious as to how many woman there are on the forum . Very nice to see a diverse group with the same interests though . Not only in gender , but around the world ! :)

[quote=""Valkrist""]Oh bugger! Deimos too?!? :O

Ok, well, anyone else want to reveal they are a woman also? Fin? Rosere? :huh: [/quote]

[quote=""Magneticone""]Hands on your hips , Thrand , Really , too funny . I pictured the same thing ! ! ;) [/quote]

Wait until Rosere and Fin read Val's post . I can see both of them sputtering, "Hey, I'm a guy!

[quote=""Magneticone""]Val , my name may be spelled the same as a girls , Shawn , but alas I am a male , so no surprise here ! ! Although Deimos , was a surprise , especially with the Avatar choice . Although my daughter loves dragons and would probably pick something similar

I too now am curious as to how many woman there are on the forum . Very nice to see a diverse group with the same interests though . Not only in gender , but around the world ![/quote]

Thank you Magneticone....and after giving it a little thought, I don't think this thread was hijacked too much at all.

Both Buckeye and I are now "joining" the forums as the persons we really are.

As much as I like Eoywn's "I am no man!" scene, I can't make that same claim....Hey, I'm a guy! (Rose is my last name.)

On the topic of the thread, welcome! Always glad to have another enthusiast, male or female, join our family!
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

Yes Idril.
I think I can honestly speak for all of us that you are indeed very welcome.
We all apologize for the hi jack. :bowing:

You inadvertently opened a can of worms. The whole gender issue has just come out in full force.

But it has been a very good thing for all of us.
I think this day will be remembered for a long time! :coolsmile

And Val, how could possibly suspect Fin? He's posted his pic and vids with him in them. And his real name? Dude, he's not a kangaroo either :crazy:
Although that is down under.
Phew, glad were back on topic.
Last edited by Thranduil on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, :) This has been the most entertaining hello thread I have seen. Glad I could help some of you out if the proverbial 'closet'. Well not really but you get my drift

Mae Govannen Lindir - glad to see another elf. ;) . (I might need to stay close - there appears to be some odd races here.)

Thanks Buckeye - I guess you are THE Buckeye from S&F. You fooled me too as I didn't know you were a lady, let alone around my vintage

Hi J - yes, I know it is you Noc. How could I not with av pic you have. Behaviour is the most difficult thing to change - not that you need to. Thanks my friend.

:big_wave: arwyniel

Hi Valkrist. Your av makes me smile big time, every time. Captain K - a hero of mine. Hmmm, so who are you on S&F?

Hi Magneticone and thank you for the welcome

Hi Fingolfin. Good to see you here too grandad. :lol

Hi EagleFriend and thanks for the welcome

Hello Deimos, and thank you for the momentous welcome. It will be remembered because of you (and Val). :D

Thanks Thranduil. I already feel welcome here and yes, it takes more than this to scare me off. Plus I have a lot of steel to defend myself. As for me making it possible for you to say you sell your stuff all over the world - actually it is you that do that by the amazing work you produce. Thank you again. No helm yet. Hopefully next week

Hi RosereIII. Nice Ava too. I can see I need to get me something

Hi Bladecollector. - are you on S&F too?

No need to apologise for the Hijack. I don't consider it one. It feels like a warm welcome to me. Thanks all
Last edited by Idril on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Deimos""]uhhhh Val....I think you owe Nerdanel an apology....and a teeny bit of groveling wouldn't hurt either ;) .[/quote]

Hehe... this was fun to catch up on! Glad to be counted among the ranks of the other fine ladies here! :thumbs_up

But, most importantly, welcome Idril! It's great to have you here. :) Out of curiosity, do you mind saying whereabouts you're located in Australia (without getting too specific)? I'm looking forward to visiting Australia for the first time in a few months. :coolsmile Might be nice to get some pointers...

[quote=""Nerdanel""]Hehe... this was fun to catch up on! Glad to be counted among the ranks of the other fine ladies here! :thumbs_up

But, most importantly, welcome Idril! It's great to have you here. :) Out of curiosity, do you mind saying whereabouts you're located in Australia (without getting too specific)? I'm looking forward to visiting Australia for the first time in a few months. :coolsmile Might be nice to get some pointers...[/quote]

Hi Nerdanel. Thanks for the welcome.

I'm from Brisbane. Happy to help with info or plans. Let me know. You can PM me if you don't want to board post. -j

[quote=""Valkrist""]Just to be clear, Thrandy, I was being facetious when I wondered if Fin and Rosere might be women as well. Having said that, after all the surprises today, I think I would hardly blink at this point if Fin did say he was a woman. :P [/quote]
Well of course you were being facetious, like I was serious about the kangaroo? :P

Yes Idril it will be next week due to customs and the rest of its journey, I was referring to it arriving in Australia, I'll bet it already has or will today :thumbs_up

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Sorry, I should have been more clear, I meant the users in question or being "revealed", I've always knew you were a lady ☺[/quote]

I don't know why, but I feel compelled to curtsy to this, lol. ;)

I am quite refreshed to know I'm among some more female collectors! It's very encouraging to feel less alone in this hobby.

[quote=""Idril""]Hi Valkrist. Your av makes me smile big time, every time. Captain K - a hero of mine. Hmmm, so who are you on S&F[/quote]

Well, it looks like you will fit right in. :)

I'm not registered on S&F, actually. I just lurk there occasionally for the odd bit of news on Weta releases. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Idril""]

Mae Govannen Lindir - glad to see another elf. ;) . (I might need to stay close - there appears to be some odd races here.)

[/quote]

Odd races indeed, Idril. It used to be worse though. There used to be orcs prowling this forum but they were driven out. Its a little safer now though :P

Hah, well that was a fun read! :crazy:

[quote=""Valkrist""]

Ok, well, anyone else want to reveal they are a woman also? Fin? Rosere? [/quote]

I assure you that Joseph/Joey/Joe is in fact a male name. :P Not that I think anyone was in doubt, I've been the little brother of the forum for almost five years now. Jesus, five years...

I shall now reveal myself to clear your mind of any doubt!

Just kidding, let's get a real selfie on here:

"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Well...after all these gender closet come outs this wonderful forum became more wonderful :D I never thought it was possible :) Thanks Idril for making this very positive mess here! I am honored to belong to so rich place as this!
btw I'm a dude :)

P.S. Fingolfin, you have cute eyes :crazy:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

I like your sense of humor Fin.
You couldn't have picked a better joey for the shot! :thumbs_up He does have nice eyes EF!

[quote=""EagleFriend""].....
P.S. Fingolfin, you have cute eyes :crazy: [/quote]

Now THAT is too funny!

[quote=""Idril""]Thanks Thranduil. No helm yet. Hopefully next week [/quote]
It is officially down under. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Lindir""]Odd races indeed, Idril. It used to be worse though. There used to be orcs prowling this forum but they were driven out. Its a little safer now though :P [/quote]

:thumbs_up Very good Lindir, we definitely don't need the orcs back ;)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”