Re: The Soul Reaver From LOK

Here is a bit of an update for you folks.

I have recently been in contact with a company called Epic Weapons, the company who is currently working on Frostmourne from Warcraft. Essentially, this company is working on, what they call, "Game To Gear"... which is pretty straight forward. Kit Rae is currently helping them out and so I passed on to them the idea of the Soul Reaver.

While there is not a definite answer about the sword, there may still be hope and it is from Epic Weapons in which you may eventually see this sword.
Valar morghulis

I do not believe they have any official forums, however, I mentioned it to the fellow I was talking to that we have a number of people here who have supported the Soul Reaver. If you google the series, you'll also see that there are a lot of fan sites, so you can bet that there are a lot of people out there who are interested in it... just look at the number of posts people have made on this one thread.
Valar morghulis

Hopefully someone will pick this license up soon. The amount of support shown here was really incredible.

And one correction, I have worked with the folks at Epic Weapons on a few projects, but I don't work for them. I run my own company, Kit Rae Design Studio, LLC and I do contract work with various companies.
KRDS

Lets see if I can condense this.......

UC obtained the rights to make the Soul Reaver, and I believe Kit Rae was working on a master. About 8- 10 months past, and it was believed that the Soul Reaver was about to go into production. The master was supposed to be in China being worked on to begin production, and a few months later started showing up in Vendor's catalogs as "Upcoming items" and people got really excited.. However, there were never any pictures posted. A few months passed, and UC "let go" Kit.. and EVERYONE ELSE and filed for bankruptcy.. and closed it's doors. The Soul Reaver never made it into production, and the License went back to Eidos, as far as I know.

The one I was working on is still wating for a blade. I didn't like how the original blade turned out. I have the hilt 99% done (Needs a few areas to be touched up)

http://imageevent.com/fettcicle/soulreaver?p=30&w=3&z=2
http://imageevent.com/fettcicle/soulreaver?p=31&w=3&z=2
http://imageevent.com/fettcicle/soulreaver?p=34&w=3&z=2
http://imageevent.com/fettcicle/soulreaver?p=35&w=3&z=2

That was made from a 2 part epoxie, called Apoxie sculpt. It's basically 2 parts of a clay type medium ,that, when combined, hardens in about 6-8hrs. I don't plan on using that for my sword. I know someone who can cast it in plastic resin. I was looking into having the blade cast in metal... but that costs $$$. That's the problem with single pieces. Cost get's absorbed piece by piece when it's mass produced.

As far as UC, I tried to find some info on who has picked up any of the liscenses they held. All I found out was that UC was bought out.. but only by "NAME" , and the company is restructuring. I guess their trying to get back the licenses they once held as the original UC.

Last I read was that Kit Rae became a freelance artist, that had his own studio. I don't know if he's working for UC, or UC is a distributor for his blades.

Great sculpt, swordsickle. UC was actually purchased and moved to Georgia early last year. They have been up and running for almost a year now and have re-aquired the LOTR license, among others, including distribution of my Kit Rae line. I am doing some design/development work for them, primarily on licensed properties like the Heroes sword and LOTR, and about a dozen or so other new properties.

Sadly, UC cancelled the LOK sword. The design work was completed but the manufacturing cost was so high that UC decided it would be too costly and too risky to make. Maybe one day they will look at it again, but for now it is dead. Swordsickle, for what it's worth, your sculpt looks better than the one we had protyped up!
KRDS

Wow! That is a compliment. I've been working on the blade. I want it to look more organic than just a regular blade. I would have liked to see what the UC Soul Reaver looked like. I know a lot of this stuff is kept under wraps until it is actually in production to help reduce the likelyhood of knock offs being produced.

Hello everyone, I to am a huge fan of the LOK saga and the reaver itself. Infact im also working on a version of it myself. My idea is to make basically 1 blade design and 2 versions of the lower wings, upper wings and handle or more so If i got the molds down to a point where I could make them up quickly you could literally build your reaver your way sort of thing. I started started some of the prep work before I remembered to start taking pics but here is a link to what I got so far. http://www.flickr.com/photos/livebyhonor Im actually hoping to get some feed back on some things that I think may make the sword look more professional to.

- runes on the blade. about 1 to 1 1/2 ft from the base of the skull down the center of the blade have some sort of etchings or runes that say something. I was thinking of maybe "Redeemer and destroyer" in nosgoth blood script since thats a major theme to the reaver. (well raziel actually but raziel is the reaver, so...) I wanted to keep away from using kain and raziels clan symbols because Vorador created the blade a few mellenia before kain and raziels time.

- Smoke and lights. I have come up with a way (for a light weight wall hanging version) to have well done light up eyes, a glowing smoky soul look (lit from the eye lights) that roll out from the eyes and mouth down the blade and even a way for the runes mentioned above to light up.( granted I have to work out the runes lighting details up a little more due to confined space of blade thickness)

I plan on making a foam mold of all 5 parts then having a local sand casting place aluminum it up. or stainless if thats an option. If alluminum is the only option atleast I can use that as a base for a real metal working shop.

well today I was doing some random image searches and i tried reaver, to see if there was any new pics or anything that may be of interest....and I found 1. Keep in mind this is a finger based weapon but notice the shape its laid out and tell me if you see what I see, only much more violent looking in this form.

http://www.swordsofmight.com/index.asp? ... ProdID=153

I was planning on making a variation of some of the parts just for people with other tastes, perhaps this is something i could work with.

Still working on this, it's been a LONG LONG while, when time and inspiration allows. The thing that inhibits it's "speedy" compleation is this is done in my free time, which I don't have too much of, and it it a labour of love. If I were making this for someone else, I would just have to meet their e xp ectations, but I have to meet my e xp ectations. Every time I look at this, I have to scrutinize it and work over everything until I'm 100% satisfied with it, because I wouldn't want to make a final version and be unhappy with some detail I wish I had spent a little more time on.. Ugh, it will eventually get done, but when is another story.. I hope some time in 2009... hope is the key word.

Ok here is a further update from me on my reaver project. Recently I drew an idea out at work and it sparked my desire to work on this more recently. I have updated my flickr page with 3 more pics of what I got done design work wise. I have always liked the blade look of things so the current hilt (yes im still working on the game version hilt to) has more of that to it. This main premise to this design is the skull being craddled or held by some living creature so the wings part of the hilt will be metal yes but look like a leather, but because of the bladed and spikes idea at the top of the hilt the wings have been ripped up to give it more of a grusome or wicked look to it.

The parts you see in the pics of the brown looking color im planning on making that a polished steel and some of the edges to have a sharpened look. It will not be sharp since a hilt is ment to stop a object from striking your hand as you hold the sword so it is still quite thick but will be cut to have the sharpend look.

Anyway I just wanted you all to see my updated progress on this baby and to know I'm not done with it yet.
http://flickr.com/photos/livebyhonor

Hey guys. I stumbled upon this thread via google. I just waned everyone to know I sent an email to Epic Weapons...

http://www.epicweapons.com/index.html

...asking if they could make this sword. I encourage everyone to do so as well. Their frostmourne sword is stunning, and I would love their quality to go into the SR.

I didn't know of this thread when I sent my email. Perhaps some of you guys could point them in this direction??

Anyways, just tryin to help!!

Return to “Products you'd like to see”