Re: Horn Of Gondor

Welcome to the forums! And it's great to hear from you!

It's hard to say for certain. But i'd doubt it simply because its hard to produce something like this. Mainly because of the sound, I don't even know if that horn used in the movie was the actual sound that it produced. They may have changed it. Perhaps you don't want a functional one... but I would prefer them to have it functional.

Thats just my thoughts.
Valar morghulis

I bet that Noble Collection is going to do it sooner or later, and it probably won't turn out nearly as good as the UC one would, if they made it. And yeah, a functional one would be very difficult to reproduce, I can imagine this being a very limited edition, maybe 1000 world wide, if they were functional. Well, nice to hear from our guests finally, someone actually used the privledge of the guestbook. Welcome to the forums!
 ! Warning
The signature picture extension is not installed.

Foe Hammer wrote:It would be great if someone would make this and other horns mentioned. Great topic, U9 and you're right this is a great forum. I hope you consider becoming a regular member. You won't regret it!. :waving:
You most definitely won't regret it!
I would also like the Horn of Gondor as it happens. That, together with Boromir's sword and shield would make for a masterful looking mini collection!
Last edited by The Flame of the West on Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ive said this before, UC could probly make this for a cheap price, they dont need to get real horns, im sure they would work just as great if they were made of resin or fiberglass. They could probly make it sound similer to the noise in the film to. I think it would be a great addition to the gondor/boromir collection. It depends if UC can get a liscends for it though.
:cheers:
~wormtongue
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

I would certainly prefer United to make the horn, though I agree it's a little far from their line of work. If Noble were to make the horn, I don't know whether I could trust it to be accurate enough, or even trust that it wouldn't just fall apart :rolleyes_ I like their jewellery and their crowns, but some of their other props, namely the swords, are not as accurate as the prices they charge would suggest.
Anywho, I'd eventually buy it, as many others would too, so I hope it will be made sometime in the future.

maby my first quest about the horn was a littel to short and sound to stuppid sorry for that.what i ment was is boromirs horn made of elephanttouth or is it made of an oxe horn.i dont beleive it is from a elephant i think it is illigel.so it must be from in this world,made of a speciel african oxe horn.

yes it is a grreat web side beutyful items they have :) .and i altso got some of this drinking horns (a littel and a medium horn).while i was visiting some viking comunities around in denmark this summer,shooting whit long bows and watchsing how they was useing hunting birds,it was ammesing how the vikings can controle and use theis real flying birds,for hunting and scouting :jaw_dropp .
an employe in one of the viking town i was wisiting had a blowinghorn so i made him blow in it,yees they do work and makes alot of sound like in the movies.i will love to see boromirs horn bee made,and i will buy one at ones.
Eikinskjaldi you said that the horn you got is a blowing horn,but i dont see eny at the web side only drinking horns,and is the horn you got dekoratet whit steel,like boromirs horn ??.

I would big time like to see UC make a Horn of Gondor. It is a bit out of their line but it would be an invaluable addition to the line and it does play a good part in the story. Plus it has great significance. The person who carried the horn was typically the heir to the stewardship I believe.

I've seen others selling horns. I saw some at the Maryland Renaissance Festival this week. I may have to check them out again if I go back next month. They were pretty cool looking.

I bet that was fun waking your brother up with one Eikinskjaldi. :lol_blue:
10 months and counting till the release of The Hobbit.

The problem lies with licensing. UC has to acquire a new license (and they are not cheap,) from New Line Cinema for every type of prop they want to reproduce. When asked once why UC didn't make the belts for the swords along with the scabbards (a seeming no-brainer,) Kit Rae responded that the belts themselves are a different license, one which they do not have. Each type and class of prop requires its own license to reproduce. This isn't to say it is out of the realm of possibility, but if it ever gets made, I would put my money on NC being the ones that make it as they have a broader range of licensing agreements with NLC.

To answer another question, in the books it is mentioned that Boromir's horn is fashioned from the Kine of Araw. Kine is a middle-earth term for a large type of oxen from the plains of eastern Rhovanion, and Araw is another name for the Vala Oromë.

What a royal pain Valkrist. I suspect you're right about NC having a larger license. They're the ones making a crown of Gondor, the brooches? for the cloaks, and other non-weapon or armor stuff. They do make some swords though I don't know how good they are. Anyone want to comment on that? Anyway, I don't know what the chances are of NC making a horn of Gondor. Has NC been coming out with any new stuff in their LOTR collection?

It would still be nice if UC made a horn of Gondor but if they have to go through all the hassle of getting a new license, I don't think it'll happen. I don't think there will be THAT much of a demand for the item though it would be a seriously cool addition to the collection.

Due to an administrative decision, we are not allowed to discuss the quality of NC swords on this Forum. It was done in the past, and the threads were shut down as it was felt that since they are products that compete with UC's line, they could potentially draw customers away from the sponsors of this site.

NC continues to release a steady trickle of LOTR related items, and there is a section of the Forum here devoted to that under General Conversations - Lord of the Rings - Noble Collection. However, I think the rate of stuff coming out has dropped off considerably in the past year as interest (and no doubt sales,) is declining. I should note that this is not the first time noise has been made about the Horn of Gondor. While UC remained typically silent on the subject, a couple of posters here actually emailed NC about the Horn and the reply was that they were grateful for the interest but had no plans to produce the item at the time. If that has changed, we don't know.

Thanks for the update Valkrist. I doubt things have changed with NC. They're probably busy spinning up for the next Harry Potter movie.

In regards to the sponsors, they confound me a bit. They're all worried about losing business but they don't seem to be doing a lot to get business either. I just checked BBB's website and they're still not taking pre-orders for the Museum Collection Glamdring. Also, they're still taking pre-orders for the Gondorian shield and it's been shipping for at least 2 weeks or more. Mind you, I like BBB and plan to buy their hand made Gondorian vambraces when they get them in stock again but they need to get their act tighter.

As for UC, I would think all they care about is that people buy licensed copies of the LOTR collection. I wouldn't think they care about who we buy them from.

Question for you. Besides BBB and UC, who are the other sponsors of this site? Just curious.

That's enough venting for now. Thanks again for the update. Cheers!

Thanks Eikinskjaldi and Flame for the info. I knew BBB sponsored the site. I thought Flames-n-Knives might since they're listed on it. I'm surprised UC doesn't. I wonder what gives with them. This site does wonders for their LOTR line and potentially could for their other lines. Plus, I wouldn't think it would cost them that much to sponsor it.

In regards to websites, Flames-n-Knives needs to up date theirs too. I checked it out earlier today. As far as BBB is concerned, I bought Sting, it's scabbard, Strider's Ranger sword, scabbard, and belt, Strider's Elven knife, and the Legolas daggers and scabbards from them so I knew them well. They do have good customer service and they're very reliable. Another plus for BBB is they sell stuff others don't. They're the only ones that have the Gondorian vambraces and belt for Anduril. One down side to BBB is sometimes they're prices are a little high. That's why I've bought stuff else where though I always check their website to see what their prices are.

As far as being small Eikinskjaldi, from what I remember, BBB is one of the largest sellers of LOTR stuff on the east coast. I don't know how big their store is in North Carolina (I've never seen it) but I doubt it's small.

Given UC's record for release dates, I don't know if I'd wait for them to put one out. I would think it is better to get the business (within reason, you don't want to promise more blades then you can deliver) then wait and lose business.

Anyway, thanks to you both for the info. Now I know who I can talk about and who I can't. Cheers!

As for UC, I would think all they care about is that people buy licensed copies of the LOTR collection. I wouldn't think they care about who we buy them from.

As has been pointed out, UC is not a sponsor of this Forum, so to them it doesn't really matter where the posters here buy the swords from, but to the two sponsors of this site it does matter.

The official word from United Cutlery was that they did not want to be seen to favour anyone particular retailer over another, and thus they declined the offer to officially sponsor this Forum. Furthermore, they indicated that an official Forum on UC's very own website was in the works, though that was stated a while ago and so far there doesn't seem to be one. The fact that members of UC post here on occasion and release information on upcoming products is done as a matter of courtesy on their part to the fans, not out of obligation.

Thanks for the info Valkrist. I don't think UC is playing the public relations card very well. This site would be an excellent place to generate lots of interest in their products while keeping the fans of their products happy.

I doubt UC will create their own site. The problem would be control. While you can control some of what is on this site through the moderators, you can't control all of it. Though the chances are minimal, it is still possible that someone could do something that could be potentially embarrassing to UC. I think UC doesn't want to take that chance. The result is UC won't have its own forum and won't sponsor any other forum.

Plus there is the work involved in creating and maintaining the forums. This forum wouldn't function without moderators like yourself who donate their time to keep it up. It takes a fair amount of effort to make this forum work. I don't think UC is prepared to give a forum site the amount of work it would entail. Maybe they don't see enough of a cost benefit. I don't know. It's too bad really as this forum is such a fantastic place to find out about new LOTR products and interact with fellow collectors.

Oh well. Thanks for the info. Cheers!

Celeborn wrote:As far as being small Eikinskjaldi, from what I remember, BBB is one of the largest sellers of LOTR stuff on the east coast. I don't know how big their store is in North Carolina (I've never seen it) but I doubt it's small.

You are correct in saying that BBB is one of the top sellers on the East Coast. But I have a shocker for you. Their store... its... not very big! Infact... You could probably take 5 to 6 steps from one side to the other. It's fairly long though... most of it is knives. All of the LoTR stuff is at the front. Once again... I have yet to get that picture from my dad this year... everyone can see me with Swordsman :)

Tomorrow perhaps.

Here's last years photo... this is at the back of the store.

Oh wait... heres a picture with my family... and me holding my anduril. Thats how big the store is. :)

and with swordsman

Valar morghulis

Valkrist, was UC ever planning on building there own forum? From what I remeber, they said they didnt want to sponcer UCF "at that time" because they were busy working on there site. Swordsman even cut BBB sponcership at the time to get UCs, but it never worked, and BBB ended up being the sponcer again, and soon after Flames-n-knives. Anyways, glad to see you more on the forums ;)
:cheers:
~wormtongue
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

I distinctly recall Swordsman saying that part of what UC was doing by referring to 'working on their' site, would be the inclusion of some form of posting area for members suggestions and questions (ie. a forum.) That is the only reason why UC wouldn't deign to sponsor this forum... that and the fact that, like I said, they wanted to remain impartial to all other forums on the net that have areas devoted to discussing UC products.

However, I don't think this has ever come about. I haven't been to the UC site in ages because updates there are super slow. If there is some kind of a forum there now, I am unaware of it, but since no one here has made mention of one, I think that pretty much speaks for itself.

Well it boggles my mind that UC would prefer to attemp their own forum rather than simply sponsor this one. I say this in all modesty, as I don't presume the quality of our forums has anything to do w/the fact that I'm a mod, but I think these forums are extremely well done.

It also somewhat boggles my mind that this thread was posted in "Guestbook" instead of "product suggestions for UC," and none of the mods has moved it. I suppose that's because it was initiated by "Unregistered," and that would have been the only place he/she could put it. Since that was two months ago, I'll assume that "Unregistered" either registered and has normal access now, OR wandered away. Thus, I'm going to move it to "Product Suggestions," since its current location conflicts with my O/C tendencies. If any of the mods feel strongly the other way, please feel free to move it back.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Thanks Thorin for the neat pictures. You're right. BBB is a small store though they look typical of blade and knife shops I've seen around Maryland barring being a bit more packed with merchandise.

I have to admit that horn would go great next to Boromir's sword and shield and really complete him.
I suppose it'll be a resin cast piece and probably (better be) around the $100 range in price.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""xena10ares""]so you have a shield?[/quote]
Yup, it's not quite done as I was hoping to finish b4 my move, but there's a pic of it in Boromirs Shield thread. (I think, it was posted a while ago). Yeah, it's still there, post #19.
Last edited by Thranduil on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""BrandalftheBlue""]didn't you want rick to construct you a strap and buckle for you shield???? he seems to have disappeared from the forums all together :( I always loved his hand crafted belts. He is truly a master craftsman[/quote]
Yes, I plan on having Rick make the straps for me. I've been "strapped" for cash so I haven't sent him any yet. lol. And I still have to cast the ring around the hub.

Return to “Products you'd like to see”