Re: UC Limited Wishlist

Well, I must say, that is a lot of wishful thinking :) Not that I wouldnt mind if this stuff was made, but UC and LOTRs future is very sketchy at best.

I dont know if i dreamt up this answer, but someone, it may have been Kit said that the helms of Rohan would be too e xp ensive to produce do to the horsehair and all that good stuff, and the same could be said for the Fountain Guard helm, which is my favorite, but with all the feathers, just the sheer task of making these helms would be quite an undertaking.

The mouth of sauron helm would have been awesome, especially if someone had the money/space for the helms of Sauron, Witchking and Mouth of Sauron.... that would have been a really cool display.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Unfortunately it's not really a rumour anymore, but pretty much fact that this line of collectibles is over for UC. Not all of the currently made items are having their production terminated, but it sounds to me like the only reason the remainder is still being produced is solely because UC has a contractual obligation to fulfill any outstanding orders with retailers, such as in the case of the Elven Warrior Sword and the Gondorian Shield, two items that have been noticeably scarce.

I completely agree with you on the Anduril issue. As the once proud owner of an LE Anduril, I am beyond bitter at the constant churning out of this sword by UC. Enough is enough.

Anyhow... I'm afraid your wishlist is nothing more than that... a wish, and one that will never be fulfilled now, at least not by UC. I hope that NC doesn't consider carrying the torch either because their LOTR weapon repros have left a lot to be desired.

i for one, think Anduril should have never been a LE in the first place, too many people wanted it, and then trying to get one on auction was like getting an xbox 360... prices were tripled and quadrupled.

now, i'm not trying to take anything away from you guys that have an LE anduril, because i wanted one myself, but i am glad they came out with UE, so i could have an Anduril myself. and i dont know how i would feel if i had an LE then they came out with an UE, because i am not in that situation. and with UC's lack of PR, no one knew at the time there would be an UE too. i know some items, such as hibben, come in at least 3 versions, they FRP, the regular and the gold, in that case, you know in advance there are more than one version and you can pick which one you want.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

With new things happening with UC - I thought I'd give this OLD thread some new life. Items I would DEFINITELY buy is made by United Cutlery would include:

Mouth of Sauron Helm
Sam's Sword (I know, we hardly see this, but I think it would look great next to Sting)
Legolas Bow (I want a UC one!)
Witchking Mace (it would probably have to be made of reinforced resin, like the Sauron Helm)
Eomer's Sword
Crown of Elessar
Horn of Gondor

uh... thats all I can think of right now... more to follow...

I agree with most of those.

While the Helm of the Mouth of Sauron would be -awesome- I'll be honest and admit I would never purchase it. Further, I really don't think that they'll be making any other helms, as the others didn't seem to sell well. You can still find Gimli helms anywhere. Though, in its defense, the Sauron helm sold out quickly, and the Witchking helm is hard to come by. So while it would probably sell well, I'm pretty sure they'd be unlikely to chance it.

The Witchking mace is simply impractical. I highly doubt that will be made, despite being a cool idea. The weight of it, regardless of the material would make it hard to mass produce even on a small scale, and the shipping alone would be e xp ensive. It would be cool, but it is ultimately impossible.

The Crown of Elessar was planned (I believe...) but it never came to be. Again, the helms didn't seem to sell all that well. However, Anduril's sold really well (clearly) so I could easily see them considering it. That being said, though, I'm a -proud- owner of the Noble Collection's version of the crown. I've said it many times, but I'll say it here again. Noble has no business making swords/weaponry. But they make jewlery and the like really well. I own the crown, the Ring of Barahir, the Evenstar and the Elven Brooch (not to mention some Harry Potter items) and they are all awesome and worth -every- penny. The crown is perfect and worth every penny of the price. So I would look to buy that if you're really interested.

The Horn of Gondor would be -awesome- but it would be branching out for them. Kind of a risk. Still, I would be tempted to buy it had I purchased Boromir's sword.

I would buy Sam's sword and Guthwine (Eomer's sword) in a heart beat. I'm a HUGE proponent of Guthwine (as anyone here could likely tell you) and I'm still very hopeful that it will be made. Kit Rae tells us all frequently though that it's unlikely it will ever be made. Still. I think there may be hope yet.

Perhaps a mass mailing to United could result in some sort of decision in our favor?

The Legolas bow would also be cool, but I want it to be the Lothlorien bow. A company, years ago amde a Mirkwood bow that was nice, but not as ornate. I would buy it though.

To be honest, though, beyond Guthwine, I don't really have a wishlist.

I'm surprised that they seem so sure they wont do Guthwine because that seems to be the one item I see people talking about the most that they wish had been made. I agree that anything that isnt a sword or a knife doesnt really stand a chance, but the things they made in the past were impressive for not being their speciality. Maybe when The Hobbit comes out they will really flourish again and we will see some more obscure items. Whereas Sam's sword wasnt anything special, he was one of my most favorite characters and he needs something. Frodo would have been up s--t creek without Sam! LOL!

Another item I have been desperately seeking is the Noble Collection's Staff of Gandalf the Grey. Just when I decided to buy it they stopped selling it. I had a small hope that UC would take it on but I know now that will never happen. Again, maybe with the Hobbit coming out, NC will start selling it again (although I heard they stopped because many were getting damaged during shipping, so again, that fades most hope).

A small set of Gimli throwing axes might be cool also (although, they've done A LOT for Gimli, so he needs a rest).

I know! Guthwine really seems like the -only- logical choice to make next. Comparitively, it got much more screen time than the things Kit says are in the works. I really hope Guthwine is made in the future. I'm considering mailing United to tell them as much, but I realize that is pretty futile.

I'm in total agreement on the Sam sword. It may not be the nicest or most important, but I'd buy it because it was Sam's. Sam is awesome.

I thought that a Gimli throwing axe set would be a great idea. Kind of set up in a criss-cross pattern like the Legolas knives. I'd buy them.

The Gandalf staff is the -most- likely if The Hobbit is ever made. I'd say it'd be 100% certain if the license allows once the movie finally comes out. I can imagine Sting, and Glamdring being pushed back out around that time with other weapons released from that book, and Gandalf the Grey's staff made. It would most likely be made of the same material as the other staff, but would probably still look nice. I'd buy it.

So I guess I should put my own list up then?

Guthwine
Sam's sword
Legolas bow
Gimli throwing axes

I think the thing with the Horn of Gondor is that it is really more of a prop. It would be something that Master Replicas or Noble Collection should tackle. If it had a blade and was made of steel... I could see them making it. Luckily for me... I found a blowing horn which sounds great! Nothing like the one in the film... but still.

As much as I would like to suggest sending mass e-mails to UC... I doubt it would do any real good. I think we should just let them go at their own pace and produce the products they choose to. I sometimes ponder with the idea that it was because of these and other forums which prompted the production of the MC editions because a number of people were posting so much. Just a though I had once.

But if we are going to start a wishlist... I think the Morgul blade takes the cake for me. I love that little dagger and due to its small size... I could probably afford it too!

:viking:
Valar morghulis

Agreed. Mass mailings, in this situation, probably wouldn't accomplish much.

Still, it bothers me that it seems that a majority of the fans tell companies (not just United) what they want, and the company decides to go another way. Companies are looking to make money. Why not cater to the people who would be buying? I suppose I'm just a bit ignorant in the ways businesses run, but still.

The morgul dagger would be sweet. I have to admit I'm tempted to pick up the witchking blade this time around. I wasn't overly impressed with the "dark" weapons. The uruk-hai scimitar was too plain for my tastes, and Saruman's staff just didn't do it for me. I liked the Ringwraith sword and Witchking sword, but not really enough to buy them before I purchased other pieces first. Now that I have all the other pieces I wanted (and with my HEWS on the way...) I'm thinking the Witchking sword may be my next purchase. If they come out with a Morgul dagger, I'll definitely consider it to go along side the Witchking.

I almost bought the Witchking's sword but instead I decided to go with Elendil's helm. I dont know why I made that choice aside from the fact that I thought it would have been cool to have a helm and a sword together. I still want to get Sting, the Witchking's sword and Glamdring. :|
Valar morghulis

A lot of the stuff I'd want would be more like accessories, but:

1. Herugrim Scabbard
2. Hadhafang Scabbard with Dagger/scabbard attachment.
3. Noldorin knives of Merry & Pippin
4. Helm of Eomer
5. Sword of Haldir

Other than that it's hard to say really, that's just the stuff that jumps out at me. I wouldn't mind them rereleasing the Legolas Knife scabbards and have them actually look like the ones in the movie, and be white (and the knives for that matter) rather than the brown faux leather ones. If they were really going to go out there, maybe Aiglos? Gil Galad's spear. I'd LOVE to see an MC Hadhafang.

If they wanted some fan interaction, since, you know, we're the special few that actually buy their stuff, wouldn't it make sense maybe to have a page on their website with a picture of all the potential things they could make, and then just have us vote? Seems pretty silly to just assume we're going to buy something when it's such a niche market. They could give us pictures of some of the stuff we never saw very well like Denethor's sword, and then from our votes make a decision.

And I'm okay with the slow pace of release and even doing a LE of each item. It gives me time to save up in between.
#UC1264 Sting, #UC1300 Sting Scabbard, #UC1298 Hadhafang, #UC1372WGNB Fighting Knives of Legolas, UC1381LTNB Knives of Legolas Scabbards, #UC1371WGBN Knife of Strider, #UC-1370ABNB Herugrim

I think everyone would agree that UC should take some fan input.

The funny thing is, there's another company, Sideshow Collectibles, that does that.

They frequently have polls on their site and say "Which of these products would you most like to see?"

And then their products come out and sell out before you can blink.

So I don't know. UC went bankrupt once, and I'm a little concerned that it's just going to repeat again. At least with lines like LOTR, they should take some fan input. Look at sales secondary.

But UC probably will never do that. So we'll just have to tolerate it until the end of the LOTR line.

I can't really think of that many products left they could make that no one would want. The Elvish stuff has been the most popular so far, I can't imagine why they wouldn't keep up with the items in that design line. Is UC still an independent company, or were they bought out after the bankruptcy? If they're owned by someone else, maybe that will change the way they choose what to make and sell.

Just a hope.
#UC1264 Sting, #UC1300 Sting Scabbard, #UC1298 Hadhafang, #UC1372WGNB Fighting Knives of Legolas, UC1381LTNB Knives of Legolas Scabbards, #UC1371WGBN Knife of Strider, #UC-1370ABNB Herugrim

I'm not sure where you are getting that UC did not listen to the fans and collectors? I consider myself the #1 LOTR weapon collector, and I was on this forum, and many other LOTR forums, regularly during the run of the films, talking to people, listening to input, and reading the polls. They heavily influenced what UC released, or at least gave me ammunition to get what I knew needed to be made run through congress. The new owners listen as well, but keep in mind the direction does input does not come strictly from fan input on forums, but collectors relaying requests through UC's thousands of dealers, distributors, plus requests from New Line itself for specific items.

Also, the old owners did let UC go belly up, but it had nothing to do with LOTR. The company was very successful. It was a matter of UC's money being used to finance a US folding knife factory, which failed, and hiring new personnel to sell products that had nothing to do with UC's core business, which was collectible film and fantasy weapons. Those other ventures, sadly, sucked the company dry. The new owners are well aware of what made UC successful and I know they listen to fans.
KRDS

I think, overall, we're just frustrated as collectors/fans. Whereas other companies give fans updates directly, UC is silent and we hear a lot of news second-hand. It becomes a line of heresay that frequently leads to false information. "My dealer said that UC is releasing this product!" And we get vague information and ideas of what products are coming, when, how much, etc. This leads to us contacting sites/shops and bombarding them with questions that they don't have answers to, either.

Don't misunderstand anyone here; we all appreciate you coming by and taking our input back to the folks at UC, as well as giving us what information you can. We probably owe you for speaking up to them and getting pieces made that otherwise may not have been.

Nevertheless, I think most people who buy from UC just feel neglected by them. We don't really get direct updates from them.

Regardless, thank you for letting us know the official reason why the old company had problems. Rumors get thrown around and such so no one ever got the real word as to why things didn't work out.

And once again, thank you for being the voice of the fans/collectors. We do appreciate having someone working so closely with UC to be there to speak for us.

If you were referring to the old UC, they never had a PR person to do this. UC is a manufacturer and does not sell direct to the public, like Sideshow for example. They passed info and marketing materials to their dealers and distributors when it became available. Those dealers decided when to do thier own announcements to the public.

The new UC has just gotten up and running on its feet and has had no news to report, but I'm sure that they will post news on thier website when it becomes available. They only just got the LOTR license a few months back. Its likely they won't post anything until 30 days or so prior to a product being released though, for a whole host of reasons I won't get into again here, but I think they will be more active in the "news" department. It is nice to have some advance buzz on new items.
KRDS

Here are some more thoughts for the wishlist.

I tried to think of items that seemed likely to sell well. Also tried to stay focused on cutlery, with the notable exception of Boromir's shield and the Horn of Gondor. Some of these items have also been suggested by others.

Top 4 "Bad Guy" items:
  • Mace of the Dark Lord Sauron
  • Witchking's Morgul Dagger (with sheath)
  • Ringwraith Shortsword
  • Sword of the Dark Lord Sauron
Top 4 "Elven" items:
  • Merry and Pippin's Noldorin / Lothlorien Daggers (with sheaths)
  • "White" Version of the Legolas Knives and Scabbards
  • Haldir's Sword
  • Gil Galad's Spear Aeglos
Weathertop / Hobbit Collection:
  • Weathertop #1 - Sword of Sam
  • Weathertop #2 - Sword of Frodo
  • Weathertop #3 - Sword of Merry
  • Weathertop #4 - Sword of Pippin
Alternate approach to a hobbit collection:
  • Weathertop #1 - Sword of Sam
  • Pippin's Gondor Sword
  • Merry's Rohan Sword
  • Frodo is already covered with Sting
Top 5 "Gondorian" items:
  • Faramir's Sword
  • Isildur's Sword
  • Boromir's Shield
  • Horn of Gondor
  • Denethor's Sword
Top 5 "Rohirric, Dwarvish, and MC" items:
(combined into one category since these areas didn't sell as well)
  • Eomer's Sword Guthwine
  • Gimli's Bearded Axe
  • Gimli's Throwing Axes (Set of 2)
  • MC Ranger Sword (maybe just high carbon w/o display case)
  • MC Shards of Narsil
Very diappointed to hear there will be no more scabbards!!

There are several other cool ideas for helmets, shields, and bows if these categories became possibilities again. Especially if UC was looking to further capitalize on Elven items.

Return to “Products you'd like to see”