Re: Fakes in the Burbank Mall

I've never seen as far as I know any fake LOTR blades at any mall I've been to. I did end up buying one because of a couple factors. At the time, I was interested in buying a copy of Glamdring. On a famous unnamed auction site, a guy was selling one. I noticed in his advertisement that he didn't mention anything about certificates of authenticity. I assumed wrongly that he just forgot to put that in and bid on the blade. I also sent him a message asking about that. I won the sword and heard back from the seller via e-message that the blade was made by another company. I didn't know the auction site's rules concerning merchandise otherwise I might've been able to fight the transaction since the blade I got isn't what I thought I was getting. When I got the blade, it was interesting to see the differences between the real Glamdring and the fake. The real Glamdring is shaped like a mallorn leaf. The fake had a standard straight blade. You could read the Elven characters engraved in the quillon (cross guard). You couldn't on the fake. There wasn't any gap between the quillon and the blade with the real Glamdring. There was on one side almost a quarter of an inch gap with the fake. The blue jewel looked respectable in the real blade. The blue jewel in the fake was a blue blob. The real Glamdring would fit perfectly in the blue Glamdring scabbard. The fake wasn't able to go all the way in the real Glamdring scabbard. The real Glamdring was made in Taiwan. The fake was made in Pakistan like the ones you saw.

I found I did appreciate UC's quality after I saw the fake blade. I had no idea people were making such worthless piece's of trash. I know now. I would definitely urge everyone out there to make sure you are getting authentic blades. There really is a BIG difference between the fakes and the authentic copies.

Cheers! :cool2:
10 months and counting till the release of The Hobbit.

Defyitall, they actually allowed people to wear those blades at the Ren Faire? At the Maryland Renaissance Festival, you're not allowed to take in any type of blade weapon. I have seen them allow kids to take in wooden swords but not real blade weapons. I wish the Maryland festival would allow people bring their swords as I'd big time like to wear my Strider's Ranger sword to it. It would be a lot of fun. Still, with some of the numb nuts out there, someone would get stupid and actually try to hurt someone with them.

I've seen LOTR blades for sale the Maryland Renaissance Festival but as far as I know, they were authentic UC blades. That sucks that the shops there would sell the poorer quality Pakistani ripoffs. There is a huge difference between them and the UC blades.

Defyitall, you aren't kidding. That is lax. Still, it must have been cool to get to wear one of your LOTR blades. I wish I could do that one of the festivals here. Do you know if UC took any action against the folks that were selling fake LOTR blades? Just curious.

Also, how do you peace bond a blade?

I wish we could do peace bonding and be allowed to bring swords into the Maryland Ren Fen Defyitall. It would be so neat to take one of my Lord of the Rings blades to the festival. It would give me greater incentive to dress the part of the festival. Oh well. I'll have to search the web and see if there are festivals in Maryland where you can do that. Cheers!

Return to “Report Fakes”