Careful with this auction

Hopefully no-one is lured into this auction....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123

Someone selling Gondorian Helm for cheap because it's got no box, no cert, and no stand.... They are advertising it as a UC helm, but I emailed to ask for the number and they said it had none.

Also, it's the exact same picture as the budk website is selling their stainless steel knockoff (instead of Iron like the UC one).

http://budk.com/Medieval-Arms/Gondorian-Helmet

Be VERY very careful... you'll notice the differences such as the brow-line not coming all the way to the side as it does in the REAL UC model that can be seen here:

http://www.cbswords.com/images/UC1414.jpg

EDIT: Turns out it was NOT a UC helm.... as stated below they updated the listing... They subsequently contacted me back with the info. First off, let me apologize if I spoke too harshly of them as they seem to feel I did (they stated that they are a member of the forum). They claim it was an honest mistake and judging by their feedback, I'm sure they are very reputable.

However, I stand by my initial post since it originally stated to be WARY that it may not be a U.C. helm, which it turned out it WASN'T... THAT is exactly what I was cautioning against. Again, I'm sorry if I came off rude to the company, but I wanted to make sure no-one here got ripped off, and possibly even saved them some negative feedback.
Last edited by Draven_of_the_Shire on Mon May 10, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Careful with this auction

Ok, did I miss something here? I get that this helmet is not the official one that UC put out, but... did Budk not bail UC out of bankruptcy by buying them out? What I'm getting at is, aren't they undermining the legitimacy of one of their own products by selling a knockoff? Budk owns UC now.

I don't get it. :huh:
This Space for Rent

it might be that that is one of the leftover ones from production that they couldn't sell and now are just trying to offload. The helmet is an LE of 2k and when i purchased mine at christmas time last year they had already run out of certificates and the LE number on it was 1344. Perhaps they ran out of boxes and stands or something too and decided that since it wasn't selling well they would just box it up and sell it as a generic item at a super discounted price. they did that with a pile of the High elven warrior shields after UC went bankrupt. Museum replicas bought them and were selling them without box, documentation or anything for $150 a piece. so they are not truely fakes but real items that have been debranded...

I have to admit, I am a little confused. Is "The Roman Seige" Ebayer supposed to be BudK's Ebay identity? I know that the picture used was the same as what is on the BudK website, but then the discussion seems to lean towards the Ebayer actually BEING BudK. I've done a little bit of business, not much, with BudK and never had a problem. I was doing a little snooping around, and the phone number listed on "The Roman Seige"'s about me page has an area code that is in Georgia, but NOT Moultrie, which is where BudK is located. Also, BudK has a very acceptable rating with the Better Business Bureau. Anyway, I was just wondering if someone had heard something about "The Roman Seige" on Ebay actually being BudK. Just curious.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Sorry if I caused any confusion... I don't know if they are related or not, I just linked the Budk page to show that it was the same picture as a helmet that was clearly NOT from UC.

I updated my first post with a little disclaimer.

Anyhoo, I was contacted back by the seller and they wanted to make sure I knew that they were in fact NOT trying to rip anyone off. They said that they received the helmet sans documentation or packaging and that they genuinely thought it was a UC helm. They said they didn't have time to look it over closely and that they are sorry if they mislead anyone. The feedback is pretty good and he seemed genuinely sorry, so make of it what you will. Just FYI.
Last edited by Draven_of_the_Shire on Mon May 10, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""dpegasusm""]...I have purchased stuff from both of them and have been very happy with my purchase e xp erience from both...[/quote]

Likewise, I have purchased from Roman Siege and was very satisfied with the service. (No e xp erience with Budk)
And I think, if memory serves, that I did so based on someone's comment here on the forums, to wit, that they had a satisfactory transaction.

I bought a set of UC licensed WK scabbards. One was defective.
They corrected the problem immediately, sending me a new set right away and paid return shipping on the bad set. :thumbs_up

I think they even stand behind the knockoffs they sell.

I know "knockoff" is a dirty word here, but sometimes you need a knockoff as a costume prop, where you wouldn't dare use the licensed weapon.

I bought a set of knockoff WKs as props, even though I have the licensed ones. If they get damaged or stolen at a Ren Faire or Con, small loss.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Report Fakes”