Re: Question

This is one reason, someone makes a valid post and has a question, and someone has to come in and try to bait it into an argument.

Now Anarion, can you be more specific, as to which 10, or was that an exageration?

Most of the time a thread is closed, it is because it is off-topic and wont get back on topic, or there has been some sort of feelings hurt or personal attack. Discussion are the point of the threads, but overt arguments are not, it makes everyone in the argument and on the outside uncomfortable and is not needed on these forums.

*Edit

Ok, lets see if i remember, what i was going to say, this is the 2nd time i have posted this (pushed the back button on accident)

Another reason threads are locked and closed immediately is when they include personal attacks, which are unnacceptible.

Also, when posts are deleted and then they are reposted by the same people, shows a blatant disregard for authority of the mods and admins.

Not quite as good as it was the first time, but same point.
Last edited by BladeCollector on Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I went and reread the last few posts of that thread. The thread wasnt closed for what you said, you made a legitimate point that not all Germans were evil Nazis, it would be the same if you said not all Americans agree with the war in Iraq.

Thorin and Flame of the West made a post before it was closed. I had not really paid attention that the thread was closed, someone may have PMed Thorin and was upset, I really dont know. But from what I read, the thread wasnt closed because of you.

Now, I know, that doesnt mean that you didnt want to post something else, but I didnt get the feeling that it was closed with you being told to shut up.

Lets take an overt example. If someone is called an idiot in a thread, or people are making fun of someone, the victim, not going to the thread, doesnt make the situation better, he was still called and idiot or was being made fun of.

Getting messages about a problem with a thread does happen, i cant speak for other mods, but to make a general statement, I have indeed recieved a few messages since i have become a mod about other people in particular or a topic of a thread, I wont go into details, but it does happen.

I am trying to answer all of your questions, but as I feel the newest mod, I think someone that has been around longer, or has more authority than me can post also. If I take action, I will close the thread, and an admin can delete it.

You bring up and interesting point. I have deleted posts on more than one occasion, and the poster re-posted the deleted post, therefore, disregarding a moderators authority

Anarion, having just locked a thread wherein you were posting, I feel you are owed a response here.

As has been e xp lained already, and in the case of the thread I locked, when an argument takes control of the thread, essentially derailing it, there is little to no purpose left in allowing it to remain open as it clearly becomes nothing more than a continuation of that argument. There is nothing more to be gained as both parties will simply continue to escalate the issue with further excuses or e xp lanations, and no one comes to these Forums to bear witness to that.

If there is peace to be made between either party, there is no better way to do it than in a personal fashion, via email or PM, or to simply show respect, courtesy, and an open hand in friendship toward the other member in any other thread the two of you may cross paths in henceforth. I think most people are intelligent enough to recognize that sometimes tempers run a little high, but all that we really want in the end is for our point of view to be heard and understood. The problem is when such a point starts to come across in language that is disrespectful and offensive.

Having said that, I do apologize to you for not allowing you the chance to further e xp lain yourself to me in the thread in question, but I honestly felt your first response to be disingenuous since I know that you have been here a long time, and that you are well acquainted with the board rules. Yes, I know... it does not mean you have to like them or agree with them, but it does not give you the right to make your point the way you did. Because I felt there was nothing further to be gained in arguing the matter, I closed the thread.

I respect a difference of opinions, and I do respect your need to come here in this thread and ask why things are done in a certain way. That is what I deem constructive. The argument we were having was simply not.

Anarion wrote:Thank you BC and Valkrist for answering my questions and adressing the complaint I had. I understand why the previous thread should have been closed, as we were off topic, and that was the wrong place to complain. I'm not angry about why you had to lock it, I do understand that sometimes. I'm glad we were able to have a chat about this and solve it. Again, thank you for responding and letting me voice my concerns.

~Anarion.

You are most welcome.

gnomelord0 wrote:Why not make a thread to alow these arguments to take place. Or not, I realy don't know what im talking about :D

Because this forum is not a place for combative and personal arguments. If an issue cannot be resolved within one or two posts, then it has no place in the thread, and giving it a dedicated thread is certainly not the solution.

I do appologise. I would have jumped in much earlier... but school comes first sadly and as such, I don't have time to comment on all of the subjects here.

The Veteran/Remembrance day post was closed because I realized that the subject is still one that all people can openly discuss and to that, war is not something that we like to talk about, especially if we lost someone.

I must also say that sometimes, I don't have time (yes school), to deal with the problem on a one to one basis...or let the conversation flow and moderate it accordingly. I try to as often as possible... the Conan thread for example.

We are learning how to treat these problems as much as everyone else. I am still learning how to run a forum, its not an esay task and I will be completely honest here, as I have mentioned this to the mods. I have felt as if I am hated by everyone for pushing the rules and sorting out messes and sometimes I don't even feel like visiting because I know what awaits me the next time I post.

After this essay is over, I'd be happy to answer anyones questions relating to this topic or any rules or problems they've encountered.

Cheers!
Valar morghulis

Return to “Suggestions & Complaints”