Help! My Thread is Gone!

I've been recently looking for some specific old threads (mine and others), but they are either deleted or unavailable. :( When I click on one of these old threads, I get

vBulletin Message
Urambo Tauro, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
[/indent]
But, I thought I would try to access a thread that has never yet existed: (showthread.php?t=9999999) Then, I get

vBulletin Message

No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Are these old threads still.... ....somewhere....?
Last edited by Urambo Tauro on Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Help! My Thread is Gone!

I don't know for certain, but when a web spider comes around again and finds the missing link, it may get rid of it from the server, but there is a good chance that you will always see that message everytime you look it up.

It's best to look the thread up on the forums... as it will be more accurate.
Valar morghulis

Good question.
I've been wondering though, why does UCF have to Archive, and then ultimately delete threads, at all? The Fantasy Forum is hosted by vBulletin as well, and you can still look at threads on that forum from over 2 years ago....Why is that not possible for UCF too?
Has it got something to do with storage space? As in, our gallery was so clogged with pictures, that there wasn't enough to keep the older posts as well as all the pictures? That would make sense, because The Fantasy Forum's gallery is very bare in comparison to what ours used to look like...
Is this the case?
If it is, I think you should periodically delete pictures from the gallery when it gets too cluttered instead of deleting threads.
Or as Urambo suggested, at least evaluate the threads before they're deleted to see if they contain useful information, which more often than not, they do :)

It was never up to my decision to delete threads. I would prefer that they stayed... I know I have written some threads that are now completely gone and had spent a lot of time answering questions that surface up every day.

I will do my best to make sure that it does not happen again.
Valar morghulis

Return to “Suggestions & Complaints”