New Theme Suggestions

Hey everyone,

Some time ago I promised a new theme that could be selected in the user controlpanel. While I did do one quickly, it wasn't anything too exciting. You can check it out in your User CP if you have no idea what I am talking about. :)

Anyways. I am happy to say that I have written my last exam and have essentially finished University. Having done that, frees up my time for a while before I decide to move onto something else or worry about a career/job, etc. So! Seeing as I always keep my promises, I am going to make a new theme and I want your input!

Should I create another generic theme? or should it be an inspired theme for the Hobbit or another series? Anything goes as long as it meets these two criteria: 1. sword/blade/armour related and 2. suitable for everyone!

So let the suggestions fly and we'll have a little vote or something at the end with the top suggestions!

Cheers! :viking:
Valar morghulis

Re: New Theme Suggestions

A Hobbit theme would be really great. However, there are going to be oodles of those out there, and we probably shouldn't give the impression that we're only about Tolkien. Perhaps if you just e xp anded somehow upon your existing fantasy theme that you referred to. I really loved that city in the background, with the mountains in the distance. What was that from, anyway?
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I have some catching up to do in this area but I like that city in the project offset. Apparently this city I speak of is already available and I didn't quite get it until I "caught up".
Thorin, could you please give us a little more input concerning this Theme issue.
Last edited by Thranduil on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh, I just need something to do around here since you guys are fairly quiet! Lots of forums that I've been a part of typically have several themes so users can pick and choose which one they want to use. I am looking to create a new theme for everyone or those who would like it! Its not really an issue.

And if you want to see the other theme that we currently have, follow: "User CP" -> on the left menu, under "Settings & Options" -> "Edit Options" and it is at the very bottom under "Forum Skin". The default skin/theme is called "Rustic" and the other one that you should see issss.... (had to think about that for a second) is "Fantasy".
Valar morghulis

Hey, I really like the fantasy them great job. If you are deciding you are bored and want to make different things, though we are not all about LOTR, I think some LOTR skins would be great for those who want it.

Maybe a Gondor- Boromir, Faramir, Minas Tirith, Narsil type theme with all white and gold colors (like Boromir's flag).

Rohan Theme- Eowyen, Theoden, Eomer, their swords, helm's deep or edoras and their flag, font colors green and white or gold.

As someone suggested a Hobbit theme or you could make it about the Hobbit race with a picture of hobbiton or bag end with green and brown (nature colors) with a picture of Merry, Pippin, Sam and Frodo.

Possibly an Elf or dwarf theme?

Those are just some suggestions but if no body likes the whole race theme another thing would be make themes for each of the movies.

Fellowship- Show all of the fellowship in Moria or something to that nature. Font colors like EE editions- Green and gold

TT- Helm's deep or Isengard
Font colors like EE editions- Red and gold

ROTK- Aragorn's coronation ceremony or something to that sort.
Font colors like EE editions- Blue and gold

Just a suggestion for those who love LOTR :)

Thanks to your input Thorin I have finally made the fantasy theme my back drop. I don't mind the guy up front but wouldn't mind if he were a little less cartoonish and more in line with the supreme detail of the landscape.
One thing you might consider, if it is at all possible, would be to fill in all background around the text boxes with stone block or aged wood, something castle feeling. Not just some consistent pattern either; hints of doors, windows, stairs, alley ways would help.
I'm going to thumb through some of my art books and see if I can find anything that might help offer more direction of where I'm coming from..

Keep me posted!

As for the repeating pattern of stonework, it is designed that way so that people with various screen sizes can view the theme and not run into weird issues of image sizes and what not. The same was done for the other theme, though it does not show the repeat because they are bricks. If you look hard enough, you can find it, but I dont recommend trying.

But let me know if you have a suggestion, that is the point of this thread!

So would everyone maybe like a Hobbit (as the in the book/film) theme?
Valar morghulis

I am well underway on a new theme. One question though... is there a specific general colour everyone would like? I used red and orange in the first thing and the other one is darker and really bares no colour scheme. Any ideas? I still personally like red and oranage... but what do others like?
Valar morghulis

If you are oh so curious to see what I am doing with the new theme, you can go to your control panel and look it up. Its called "Fantasy - Blue" or something along those lines. It will look weird and keep on changing for quite some time. Drop a suggestion in here too if you'd like!
Valar morghulis

These pictures are screenshots/renders/illustrations from Diablo 3 which is currently in production. Blizzard has some fantastic artists working for their games. I'm hoping to make the images a little bit bigger, but the center will remain blank like that... probably.
Valar morghulis

I like the fantasy blue, but it needs the highlights in the sky where the sun is shining to bring in orange, yellow, and reds; or perhaps, orange, red, purples.
Some contrasting warm colors would really set it off, but they have to be centered and fade out to sides so the blues remain heavy where the images become more defined.
Picture the Eye of Sauron centered and fading out to understand where I'm trying to help you with visual. (Not that I am suggesting the Eye of Sauron).

[quote=""Thorin""]Hmmmmm that gives me an idea. I am probably going to make 2 versions of the same theme... one with larger images so people with larger monitors/screen res and for those with older/ smaller resolutions.

:D

Thanks for the idea![/quote]
I guess I'll enjoy that with my 52" Flat screen as my monitor. Could you throw in an outer boarder for that as well? :coolsmile

Well...

Thanks for reminding me! I've been looking at it for the last few weeks and I haven't had a chance to touch it since. If you look in the profile section where you can change your skin, it will show up as... fantasy 2 or something. All of the images are from Diablo3 as was mentioned earlier. And you need to be running... I think its at least 1280 x something resolution to view it... could be 10 something. I'll have to check.

I will shrink it down for smaller resolutions... sometime.

EDIT: The theme is called Diablo. Go figure :viking:
Valar morghulis

Well, I have nothing to contribute to the topic of this thread, but I'm posting my problem here because, well, that is the problem. I cannot create any new threads in the "Announcement & Information" sub forums (Introduce yourself, Suggestions and complaints, etc). I don't think its just me either, I had another user PM me mentioning the same problem. It's not that I have anything to add to any of these forums (what am I going to do, reintroduce myself?), I just think that new users who join might find they cannot post an introduction, and may think something is wrong with the entire forum.
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

[quote=""Grima Wormtongue""](what am I going to do, reintroduce myself?)[/quote]

Who are you?

Oh, Grima, ha ha! ;)

I just posted test threads in all four sub-sub forums of the Announcements & Information subforum and had no problems. I also checked your user profile through the mod panel to see if something wacky had happened to your permissions, but I didn't see anything to lead me to believe that anything had gone astray there. Of course, that's not the only place where forum settings are, but it's probably the only one I have access to. Ergo, I'm going to have to punt on this one and hope Thorin or Justin can figure it out.

Thanks for the heads-up, Grima.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Okay. Everything should be fixed now. I'm not sure when it happened or how but the custom user permissions we had set for registered users were reset. It's possible that happened during those few days we were offline but I don't know for certain.

Let me know if there are more problems.
Valar morghulis

Sorry for the late reply, but just wanted to thank you both for looking into is and solving the problem (and I was a little worried you guys were slowly plotting to shut me up by disabling my posting permissions a couple forums at a time). I appreciate your help.
Thorin wrote:Also... I find it strange that users should contact you Grima, instead of one of the mods or myself. Conspiracy perhaps.
Ah Thorin, I assure you it has nothing to do with my underground campaign to overthrow the board. I think this particular time, a member pm'd me a question about one of my photos. I answered, welcomed him and referred him to the "introduce yourself" forum so he could start a thread. That's when he alerted me of the problem.
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

Return to “Suggestions & Complaints”