Forum feedback

Maybes you could add a section where members can leave feedback about their e xp eriences with the forum. I can't seem to find a section on feedback (unless I have overlooked it) but I'd also like to leave my feedback:

The community within this forum as a strong one. The strongest I have ever seen in a forum. In a world where everyone seems to be getting nastier (well it does in the UK) the members here seem to be getting nicer and more friendlier. I have received help by many of the members and the forum supporters help a great deal. If someone posts something wrong ( for example if they haven't read the rules and post a thread about bla bla bla....) the supporters and moderators dont just go "right I'm deleting your thread and your banned!" (which i have seen happen on other forums :| )

This is the main reason why I have stayed with this forum. I want to keep coming back because its such a great e xp erience and I am honoured to be a member (albeit not an Important one) of this truly amazing forum.
Last edited by Lindir on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Re: Forum feedback

On behalf of the staff and our helpful posters, thanks for the praise. :)

am.dk, that's hardly a positive thing to say on the heels of Elvenguard making such a nice post like that. Counter-productive to the spirit in which his words were given, don't you think? :huh:

So what if he posts a lot? So long as something of substance is being said and a person is not spamming the forums, he is allowed to post what he wants, however many times.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]Maybes you could add a section where members can leave feedback about their e xp eriences with the forum. I can't seem to find a section on feedback (unless I have overlooked it) but I'd also like to leave my feedback:

The community within this forum as a strong one. The strongest I have ever seen in a forum. In a world where everyone seems to be getting nastier (well it does in the UK) the members here seem to be getting nicer and more friendlier. I have received help by many of the members and the forum supporters help a great deal. If someone posts something wrong ( for example if they haven't read the rules and post a thread about bla bla bla....) the supporters and moderators dont just go "right I'm deleting your thread and your banned!!!!" (which i have seen happen on other forums :| )

This is the main reason why I have stayed with this forum. I want to keep coming back because its such a great e xp erience and I am honoured to be a member (albeit not an Important one) of this truly fabulous forum.[/quote]
Your just as important as anyone else here EG.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]blimey I didn't realise I posted that much....[/quote]
LMAO! Your too much fun.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

I think this goes here... Nice work on the new banner image! Being primarily a Chrome user, I noticed the navigation alignment issue but wasn't fast enough to be the one to mention it. I do however have a suggestion for the thread layout on the homepage. I do like the current setup, but recent events pointed out a minor issue. As we currently have 3 ongoing and popular threads under 'Handcrafted Item' (Thranduil's and Indy's projects) if there is activity in more than one of these, the others get buried. I also noticed we have a 'Latest Posts' section that lists the 10 most recent threads with activity. My suggestion (if plausible) would be to bring that section to the top and make it the primary section of the page. It would allow users to focus on 'hot' threads and not miss ongoing conversations in crowded theme folders. Older threads would still be just as easy to find and revive, but it would keep the page a little more current. (At the time of writing this post, there are 6 threads on the homepage that are from 2013 or older.) Of course, this would require a little bit of work; perhaps more than is intended at this current time.

I would be more than happy to further discuss or mock up this suggestion if any of the mods would like to.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

Didn’t quite know where to post this as it is kind of a Chatbox question, but it is about the forums and somewhat lengthy (so maybe it should be moved elsewhere)

But here it is: Something has intrigued me from very early on, when I first became a member about 4 years ago.
If you look at the “ Currently Active Users” window there is the statement “Most Users Ever Online Was 541 on 06-27-2007 at 8:04 PM.”

Does anyone remember what was happening on the Forums at that time?
541 people viewing it at one time is a heckuva lot of viewers. :O
Was it about an upcoming [long coveted] weapon release? BC, Val, Olorin, Thorin?
Any of you (or other) longtime members recall anything momentous going on at that time?

Just curious because I have never seen anywhere near that number since I became a member.
I can’t recall ever seeing any more than 250 or so, if that.

Edit: Well, I see this post is almost obsolete and it's not even an hour old.
I just noticed that there are 498 viewers of the site. Pretty impressive.
Last edited by Deimos on Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""RosereIII""]I think this goes here... Nice work on the new banner image! Being primarily a Chrome user, I noticed the navigation alignment issue but wasn't fast enough to be the one to mention it. I do however have a suggestion for the thread layout on the homepage. I do like the current setup, but recent events pointed out a minor issue. As we currently have 3 ongoing and popular threads under 'Handcrafted Item' (Thranduil's and Indy's projects) if there is activity in more than one of these, the others get buried. I also noticed we have a 'Latest Posts' section that lists the 10 most recent threads with activity. My suggestion (if plausible) would be to bring that section to the top and make it the primary section of the page. It would allow users to focus on 'hot' threads and not miss ongoing conversations in crowded theme folders. Older threads would still be just as easy to find and revive, but it would keep the page a little more current. (At the time of writing this post, there are 6 threads on the homepage that are from 2013 or older.) Of course, this would require a little bit of work; perhaps more than is intended at this current time.

I would be more than happy to further discuss or mock up this suggestion if any of the mods would like to.[/quote]

[quote=""Valkrist""]Thanks, Rosere, we'll review your suggestions. :) [/quote]
I think it's a great idea. My 2 cents

[quote=""Deimos""]Didn’t quite know where to post this as it is kind of a Chatbox question, but it is about the forums and somewhat lengthy (so maybe it should be moved elsewhere)

But here it is: Something has intrigued me from very early on, when I first became a member about 4 years ago.
If you look at the “ Currently Active Users” window there is the statement “Most Users Ever Online Was 541 on 06-27-2007 at 8:04 PM.”

Does anyone remember what was happening on the Forums at that time?
541 people viewing it at one time is a heckuva lot of viewers. :O
Was it about an upcoming [long coveted] weapon release? BC, Val, Olorin, Thorin?
Any of you (or other) longtime members recall anything momentous going on at that time?

Just curious because I have never seen anywhere near that number since I became a member.
I can’t recall ever seeing any more than 250 or so, if that.

Edit: Well, I see this post is almost obsolete and it's not even an hour old.
I just noticed that there are 498 viewers of the site. Pretty impressive.[/quote]

We've noticed some things like that from time to time, and are not quite sure of the story. We don't have that many members, so either we're getting a heckuva lot of guest views, or we're under some sort of cyber attack.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

There's a couple of e xp lanations for that.

Certain specific times do generate a lot of hits on the site. The 2007 date coincides with news breaking out that UC was going under. You can imagine that resulted in a lot of buzz and people coming out of the woodwork to search the net for more news on things like that. Specific releases also result in activity spikes like that.

Our current number of registered users holds steady around the 300 mark, though only about 50 or so post regularly or semi-regularly. At any given time though, there's only about 20 or so members coming by per day, with most of them coming by multiple times. The high number of 'guest' hits is due mainly to search engine keyword results that end up linking people to this place. Also, people searching the net for images of certain things get results that link to our gallery, and so forth. I've resolved a lot of those IPs out of curiosity and the results I get back is that they are Google, Bing, Yahoo search bots, for the most part. Then there's the constant effort by spambots to try and register bogus accounts to the site. During periods of high activity, they can try up to 100 or more times per day.

Just a few of the many ways that you can see high numbers here.

I hope that clarifies it a bit. :)
This Space for Rent

[quote=""N2darkness""]I have 1 suggestion as well, when you click on the thread of the "latest posts" can it bring you to the last page of the thread instead of the first? It would just make it faster to see the current posts.[/quote]

I am kind of confused by what you are asking, but the way I am reading it, this might be your answer... when you come in and click "New Posts" that will bring up a list of threads that have had new posts since your last visit. On that list, they should all be bold indicating you havent read them and they contain new posts. To the left of the thread title is a little blue arrow pointing down, if you click that, it will bring you to the "first" unread post of that thread.

If you want to go to the last post of the thread, to the right of someone's name there is a blue arrow pointing to the right, click that and you will go to the very last post of the thread.

Oh wait, you said latest posts, you click the tiny yellow arrow thing pointing to the right next to the latest poster's name, if you hover your mouse over it, it will say "jump to first unread post"
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]I am kind of confused by what you are asking, but the way I am reading it, this might be your answer... when you come in and click "New Posts" that will bring up a list of threads that have had new posts since your last visit. On that list, they should all be bold indicating you havent read them and they contain new posts. To the left of the thread title is a little blue arrow pointing down, if you click that, it will bring you to the "first" unread post of that thread.

If you want to go to the last post of the thread, to the right of someone's name there is a blue arrow pointing to the right, click that and you will go to the very last post of the thread.

Oh wait, you said latest posts, you click the tiny yellow arrow thing pointing to the right next to the latest poster's name, if you hover your mouse over it, it will say "jump to first unread post"[/quote]
Ah, this is good info. I've never bothered checking out these little icons.
Very helpful. :thumbs_up
Thanks

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Good job Val!!![/quote]

You spoke too soon!

Apologies to those whose collection and location fields do not appear to be showing in their signatures. It seems to be affecting some users and not others. Not sure what is causing this as it does not seem to be related to anything we did today.

Thanks for your patience and we hope to have this resolved soon. In the meantime, go into your personal settings, and be sure that you have data in these fields, and that boxes that enable you to see other people's signatures are checked. Lastly, try logging out and back in, and clearing your browser cookies.
This Space for Rent

Thanks for looking into the signature boxes. From my perspective, I saw them disappear last week, roughly coinciding with our makeover (probably just coincidence). :) Many of them seem to be restored as of today, but from my limited perspective, both my box and N2's still seem to be absent. Not a huge concern, unless we've both been added to the naughty list. ;) (And, I do have my boxes correctly checked, closed the browser, etc.)

While on the subject of these little tweaks, I was wondering about gaps in the member photo gallery here? It seems for some members (perhaps newer members like myself), our pictures and albums don't appear in the gallery. I realize some of this is personal preference, but I figured mine would show up at least. I frequently get the 'contact an admin' message when I try to click on one of my own pictures. :(

They did disappear last week very briefly until we applied some changes to the new style template. We thought they had been restored because we could see them again. Not sure what happened to cause some of them to disappear today. Yours is visible once again and it wasn't a short while ago. The problem seems corrected now but you still can't see the location and collection fields of others? :huh:
This Space for Rent

Well the signature problem seems to be resolved now...? At the time of my last posting (~25 minutes ago), about 90% of signatures were visible. I can see N2's and Arwyniel's now too, so we must be off the naughty list. Whatever you guys tried, it worked! Thanks for looking into things! :thumbs_up

Not sure if there's anything that can be done with the photos, but that's very minor and isolated. Just thought it was funny it gave me the 'contact admin' message for my own photos. :|

Unfortunately our gallery has always been a bit of a thorn in our side as it has issues. A few years ago it was hacked and though Justin restored it, there are still more bugs than we know about. We've considered eliminating it altogether but the jury's still out on that one.

Glad the signatures problem is resolved now. All the UCF gremlins have been caught and caged for the day, hopefully. :P
This Space for Rent

There has always been a few strange bugs around. One I have always had is if I try and click search and type something in that text box, it won't work and says something about a security token being missing. But if I right click and then open in new tab to the advanced search, then it will work.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Yes actually, and I think it has something to do with it. My computer was infected by the delightful malware bug "searchdconduit", thanks to a buggy PDF splitter program. I had to reset my Chrome settings and use third party uninstallers and second look programs, as well as restart my computer a few times, to get rid of it.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Well it's dead and gone by now but for some reason these haven't gone back to normal. Oddly enough, I would normally see the blue for a split second when the main page was loading, but now it just never turns to the proper grey color. :huh:
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Return to “Suggestions & Complaints”