Re: Bugs to be fixed

The phone likely goes in and out of connection/jumping onto data/different wi-fi connections. As a security measure, the forums normally check to make sure that the IP you used to login and "remember me" on is the same IP you're on when you pull up the browser again. This is done for several reasons, but mostly to ensure that you are absolutely you.

I've turned this feature off. We have some risk involved here, but this seems to be a recurring problem here, so we'll give it a try without this security check and see how it works for us.

N2, I might be misunderstanding you here, so feel free to correct me if I'm not fixing the problem here.

1. phpBB doesn't "send" the message in the sense of an e-mail. It sits in your Outbox until the person you're sending it to reads it. Think of it as a read receipt feature. It's a bit different and not at all obvious, but there you go.

2. I've upped the maximum number of PMs folks can store to 600. If it becomes a problem we may have to set it back down further. If it doesn't become a problem, we can investigate making that unlimited. I don't believe we're using up much of our server space, so I'm not too concerned with PMs.

GuardianWolf wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:10 am N2, I might be misunderstanding you here, so feel free to correct me if I'm not fixing the problem here.

1. phpBB doesn't "send" the message in the sense of an e-mail. It sits in your Outbox until the person you're sending it to reads it. Think of it as a read receipt feature. It's a bit different and not at all obvious, but there you go.

2. I've upped the maximum number of PMs folks can store to 600. If it becomes a problem we may have to set it back down further. If it doesn't become a problem, we can investigate making that unlimited. I don't believe we're using up much of our server space, so I'm not too concerned with PMs.
Yep, I finally figured that out when messages would sometimes sit for days in the Outbox (once it was 3 weeks) :-p

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I mentioned the server and email transfer because I think that's how it was handled in the old Vbulletin software, hence why we used to get an email notification that actually included the contents of the PM in it. With phpBB, you get a mail notice but the message itself remains in the outbox until read. Good to know these little things. ;)
This Space for Rent

Let me know if there are any other hiccups! It's a bit of a weird system...

At some point when I get some more time I'll take a look at the server to see what kind of space the PM system takes up. Given that we're a tight community, it's not like we need to worry too much. We can always adjust it as time goes on, and it's adjustable at the user group level, so we can get really granular if need be.

Justin had the original PM system set at 100 per user and staff at 300. When we implemented the Premium Forum Supporter rank, I bumped people in that usergroup up to 300 as well as an incentive/reward for their donation, but those were busier days for our forum. Since the only people still around are all Premium donors anyway, I see no problem increasing the PM count size.
This Space for Rent

Return to “Suggestions & Complaints”