Concerning sword cleaning

i was roaming through the forum and i took a look at cleanning post and i cant imagine that nobody from uc give cleanning tips .i know it's not a big deal but for the price that we pay i think it's nor thatmal they should put a cleanning tip on theyre web site and put what product to use and what not to use.i know some of you give good tips but like justintd said that he clean is arwen sword with wd-40 and the gold wash away i know everybody tell me about rennaissance wax but there's no instruction on how much wax you put etc...
im not pissed im just e xp ressing myself about that.

thanks

Re: concerning sword cleannig

Tuor_sonof_Huor wrote:I'm not surprised to hear about what happened w/ the wd-40 cleaning method...after all, that's stuff that you can use to take rust off of stuff. I personally use a sword oil that I bought at a cutlery shop called Hanwei Sword Oil. I use it on both my Narsil and on a battle ready sword I have that is made out of high carbon spring steel (i.e. easily rusts w/o protection). Using this oil definitely makes a difference in how the sword looks and how it shines. Granted I haven't e xp erimented with other oils, but I'm happy w/ this stuff - it's cheap, easy to apply, and does its job well.

I just bought some of that stuff and it works great on my swords and helm. I would recomend it!
Oh and regarding the metal glo, im afraid it would wipe the finish of the sword and helm. Its bowerful stuff, i only use it for cleaning my cutlass :cool:
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

Re: Concerning sword cleaning

Pierrotge wrote:Has anybody managed to remove "made in taiwan" from the blades???

I heard that some people have used fine sand paper to take it off, im not sure of any other ways though that have been tried. I wpersonaly wouldnt though, because the "UC made in Taiwan" mark is what makes the blade authentic, though it does annoy me a bit
-wormtongue
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

Hello and welcome! I believe what you have there is simply the layer of oil that United puts on the swords for shipping. To answer your question, it is not a defect. Like everyone else has said, windex on the METAL ONLY will clean it nicely. If you want to protect your sword even more after cleaning, you can wipe on a layer of WD-40 to protect the metal. Hope that helps, and again welcome to the forums, check out the rest of it, there's lots of interesting threads.

I've said it once and I will continue to say this :)

If your trying to keep your blades clean. Use Windex... only on the blade. If you touch the blade... its best to wipe your fingerprints off. The oils from your fingers will eventually cause the steel to rust... even though it is very very tough steel. In fact... it may be a long time before you see any rust. The major thing to worry about is dust. Dust causes rust. When dust collects on the blade... it attracts moisture... and moisture then causes the rust.

If you want to look after your leather, just take a clean cloth and just wipe off the dust. Leather is quite durable.

If your looking for that extra thing to keep them clean and clear of fingerprints... i suggest Renaissance wax. Its fairly e xp ensive... but its what the british mueseum uses. Apply a coat on anything... leather... wood... metal... you name it. What it does is it puts a hard layer between the metal or leather and the air. So, if you touch it... it doesnt show... unless the wax has dried up or is wiped off. This layer also attracts dust... as everything does... but when the moisture is joined... it doesnt penetrate to the metal or leather.

I could say a lot more... and maybe one day I will make a huge post on this... but I dont have the time at the moment. :)

Hope that helps.
Valar morghulis

Return to “Questions about UC products”