Re: bows and techniques

Hi there!

Seeing this thread I find myself longing to shoot again, I was an archer too, long ago, but once an archer, always an archer...

If I may, I would like to add a little something for this lesson, if I may:

Breathing: What I´ve found during my career as a bowsman, is that if your breathing is inconsitent, the shot will be a failiure. One can be puffed out, of course, but always try to breath as consistent as possible.
A good exercise for this ( how to shoot when you´re out of breath ) that I did a lot was standing at the shooting point, shot the series of arrows ( usually three )and ran to the board, took the arrows, and ran back. Repeat this for about thirty series ( this was done on the distance 90 metres...) This drill will help you to find the right breathing, and you will find when you are calm at heart, the breathing will come natural.

There are other things that has to be taken in consideration when shooting, but first and foremost, and the most valuable lesson there is, for beginners ( or for pro´s for that matter ) is to enjoy the wonderful art of archery.

God only knows how much I miss it...

With the kindest of regards
Elen síla lúmenn omentielvo. Mae govannen!

///

Merlin

Re: bows and techniques

Okay. I've gotten back into the drive of archery. I've been trying to satisfy my swordsman side... but it seems that you need to have a practice partner who is equally thrilled about getting out and just having fun. But it seems that there is no partner... so i'm going to archery. This is something that I can do on my own time when i want... and I don't need to have someone around to practice with.

Here's what i've got so far.

I'm looking for a nice, decent, good quality bow, for around.... the $100 to $250 range.

I'm looking in the area of a recurve bow or a long bow.

Also, not a new fancy metal/plastic/fiberglass, but an authentic wood bow hand carved preferably. I'm looking for something that will last me many years and possibly forever.

If anyone has suggestions... and feel free to go above the price range I gave... but anything over $400 is out of the question, sadly enough.
Valar morghulis

Return to “Archery”