Re: no lotr bows:(

Regardless of their name, United Cutlery is not shy about contracting other companies to reproduce items for them that do not fall into the traditional definition of 'cutlery.' For all intents and purposes, a sword can't really be called cutlery either under the traditional definition, or do you keep Anduril in your knife drawer at home and use it cut your steak with?

Anyhow, my point is, just like the Helms, Crowns and Tiaras, and Spear & Pikes license, UC did at one time also hold a license to make LOTR licensed Bows. I've been around long enough to remember this announcement by them. Unfortunately, they chose not to make use of that license mainly due to the fact that another company also acquired the rights, and UC rightly feared competition.

The other company was known to make bows, and thus UC's fears were not unjustified. Sadly, this other company has not seemed to have produced the bows either. To date, I saw one officially licensed repro a long time ago, on some german website, and it was for a non-functional Prologue Elven War Bow. I've heard nothing else since, though there are a variety of independent bowmakers that make close but unlicensed and functional replicas of Legolas' Mirkwood and Lorien bows, as well as Aragorn's bow, and Dunedain bows.

PS. Windlass Steelcrafts is indeed under contract to make the steel helms for UC, though I don't believe they are part of the design stage. UC handles that part. I'm not sure who makes the fibreglass helms like Sauron and the Elven Helm though.
Last edited by Valkrist on Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Touché. Normarily, I'd attempt to make a lame joke out of your comment about Anduril and steak (and how I do keep it in the drawer until steak night), but what's the point on making an even bigger fool out of myself? There isn't one.
A superlative e xp lanation once again, Valkrist, and thanks for confirming that Windlass is indeed involved in making helms for United.

lol... Flame, you know me better than that, and I also respect you too much to simply waltz into a thread and try to portray you as a fool. I just like to call a spade a spade, or in this case, a sword a sword. Maybe my remark was a little too cutting? ok ok, I stop now... :D

Ok, I bit the bullet and ordered the Arco di Legolas. I just had to have it. It is officially licensed and it was in stock. All thogether, including shipping from Italy to the US was 287 Euros (about $343). What the heck you only live once! Thanks to themalewhoisafly! I could not have placed this order without your help. Many thanks to you sir. Happy New Year to all.

Though I don't disagree the bow looks wonderful, I am curious about something. The bow was described as being functional yet is shown to be stringed in the picture. I happen to know that a functional bow cannot remain stringed when not in use or the tension of the wood and functionality is ruined. So what gives here?

Nelum,
I will PM you shortly with the links and how to do it. I just got mine today and it looks awesome. It does not come stringed. The string is on one end, but is not stretched. That said, there is no way that I would do anything but display this bow. It looks great, but I am guessing that the gold paint would flake or rub off with enough use. I am posting pics shortly in the gallery. I will post links as soon as I am done. Cheers,
Ray

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to contact the maker of the bow and ask what would happen to the paint if used. Thats the only sure way... aside from testing it yourself. I would not use those arrows... they are very well built and look great!
Valar morghulis

Return to “Archery”