Re: New Tolkien book, The Nature of Middle-earth

Yep...same for me. Will buy sight unseen.
Houghton-Mifflin will be the US publisher and Harper-Collins [Ltd] will be the publisher in the UK.
I will go for the UK edition, as I did for the last several works edited by C. Tolkien.

"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

When seconds matter, it's reassuring to know that the police are only minutes away.

"Only the paranoid survive."

Valkrist wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:26 am Can't wait for the inevitable reviews on Amazon:

* - One star

"Bought this thinking it was a sequel to Lord of the Rings. It's not, and therefore it sucks. What's this 'Tolkien' dude even talking about? Don't waste your time on this crap. When they make the movie, it should be a straight-to-video release."

"When they make the movie, it should be a straight-to-video release."
omg, Val... that is too, too funny.... 5 stars for that. I am dying. :laugh: :db:

And....[another review] * Star

I don't get why so many people gave this 5 stars. I'm , like, What is Tolkien talking about. He, like, uses a bunch of words I never even heard of. And he , like, writes a lot of words.
Couldn't he, like, say whatever he has to say in short sentences?
Not only that, but just about everything he writes is , like, racist and sexist, or uses racist sexist words. The guy should have used Grammerly when he wrote it.
Another book by a white racist sexist male. If I could, like, give it MInus 5 stars I would.

When seconds matter, it's reassuring to know that the police are only minutes away.

Publisher of the US ed. is Mariner ....not the best quality ... not even very good quality.
ISBN-10: ‎ 0358454603
ISBN-13: ‎ 978-0358454601

Better quality US publisher of Tolkien is Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (aka HMH) but apparently it is not publishing this one.

UK Publisher is HarperCollins, publisher of ALL the Tolkien books, both JRRT's and CRRT'S works.
Much better quality
ISBN 10: 0008387923
ISBN-13: 978-0008387921

I am getting the UK edition, even if shipping from the UK costs more.
But once it is released I'm pretty sure I can locate the UK edition in the US.
I have been able to do that with all the newer works by CRRT ...buy the UK edition in the US.

I had not realized HMHwas not publishing the US edition. That's very odd...they've published every other Tolkien release, so far as I know. I've never heard of Mariner before, and having just checked my book database, none of my over 1300 books was published by them.

I'm wondering if I should cancel my existing Amazon order and try to order the UK edition.

Something that occurs to me that is almost as curious as the change in publisher is why CJRT did not edit this but rather farmed it out to someone else to do. Perhaps he felt he should finally retire? I guess we will not know.

Edit: while Amazon shows the publisher as Mariner, Barnes and Noble shows it as HMH. :?:
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Well, it's complicated, as big business always is. Near as I can tell, the original Houghton Mifflin now just does textbooks. Their other line was spun off and was bought by HarperCollins, or by HC's parent company News Corp, and Mariner is what it is now called. I guess I'm not going to worry about what edition I get. Trying to unravel business dealings always makes my head spin.

My book has shipped and should arrive tomorrow.

I caught part of the weekly TORN livestream Tuesday. The smart one, Cliff, had just gotten back from Barnes and Noble, book in hand, and read a few excerpts from it. These were from chapters on hair and telepathy (which Tolkien called mind images). The hair part talked about the Elves and whose hair was long, short, dark, light, straight, or curly. The mind images part talked about how it worked and said that even humans had some ability, though typically only under extreme conditions. This sounded very much like the reported real-world phenomenon where family members sometimes get a really strong feeling that they should reach out to another family member.

The not so smart part of the team, Justin, said (and take this with an ocean of salt) that the manuscript of the book had been provided to the Amazon LOTR production for their guidance in developing the show. Like I say, apply salt liberally.

Gracias for the update....will start my search for the UK edition here in the US.
But online used booksellers (Powell, Alibris, ABE) typically charge the same shipping rate ---about $4-$5 ---regardless of where the book is located.
So I don't think I'll have any problem finding it.
Also, just an FYI on the 2 editions: altho' I haven't seen the covers for either ed., the cover for The Fall of Gondolin wrt placement and size of text differs slightly between eds. At a very quick glance you might not notice it because the art per se is the same.
Don't know about this one.
Not that it matters to me, but there is a difference between eds. on the other(s).
Of more concern to me is the quality of the binding, paper, and printing.

Return to “Tolkien”