Re: Pure Middle-Earth discussion.

I hope if more films do materialise then they’ll be better than ROP. But really I’d rather they didn’t do anymore. The age of the movie extended universes is quite a bit tiring. Maybe before long we’ll have a middle Earth multiverse story too?

I would like to see them adapt the Silmarillion but I know it’s difficult, but I’d rather they got PJ and co back to do that as opposed to spin off movies.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Lindir wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:02 pm I hope if more films do materialise then they’ll be better than ROP. But really I’d rather they didn’t do anymore. The age of the movie extended universes is quite a bit tiring. Maybe before long we’ll have a middle Earth multiverse story too?
I have no problem with them doing more movies, as long as they stay true to the look and feel of the world established in the original films, and as long as they don't deviate from what was actually written in the appendices. Especially when changes are made for no logical reason that benefits the story. They have basic outlines for several stories from Tolkien. They just need to flesh out or weave their stories around that.
KRDS

I think ROP has just made me cautious. I’m also feeling a little cynical and can imagine the executives itching to set up their own Middle Earth universe. Maybe they’ll treat the material right though and we’ll get a couple of good movies. I hope that’s what happens if any movies get made.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

They're going to happen as long as there's money to be wrung from the property. If they're going to do it, I'd really hope they get rights to the other books (and I'm assuming, Kit, that that is industry information that those rights are now available? I hadn't heard that elsewhere, not that I was looking.) It's a bit of a dubious proposition to base a show or movie on the sketches when the appendices when a more complete text is available.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Olorin wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:13 pm (and I'm assuming, Kit, that that is industry information that those rights are now available? I hadn't heard that elsewhere, not that I was looking.)
There is a lot that I do know that I can't talk about, but that particular bit of info has been out there since last year. Whether it has actually been secured by anyone, I don't know.
KRDS

Return to “Tolkien”