Re: Orcrist

The past owner of Orcrist is never named.

Gandalf says that it is the mate of Glamdring, which we have established was the sword of Turgon, King of Gondolin. Theoretically, we can assume that Orcrist either belonged to Turgon also, or was made for someone very close to him. That the two swords were discovered together after so many centuries is nothing short of miraculous, and likely indicative that they were found on or near the same person: Turgon.

Yes, the Goblin wars is a reference to the wars of Beleriand, in this case most likely the Fall of Gondolin. Trust me on this, you won't find anything more specific in The Hobbit. To put it simply, Orcrist's original owner is never named in any Tolkien source so one can only conjecture, as I have done in my first post.

That looks like a picture of the Glamdring sword designed by Greg and Tim Hildebrandt, one-time artists for Tolkien art. I forget who manufactured the sword, but it was a limited edition piece and very e xp ensive, being crafted with actual gold inlay. I was not aware that Orcrist had been made as well, so I cannot confirm if that picture is in fact Orcrist and not Glamdring.

No problem. :)

Actually, I seriously doubt Turgon would have double-wielded Glamdring and Orcrist. Though it does sound interesting, I think that would be a rather unorthodox method of fighting for a King of the Noldor, and probably not something that Tolkien envisioned. I know Legolas wielded two weapons, but that is a change to the text that PJ made.

More than likely, Glamdring and Orcrist were considered 'mated' swords because they were crafted by the same smith, had similar or identical designs, and were both wielded by members of the royal house of Gondolin. Or perhaps Orcrist belonged to the smith himself, who knows...? ;)

Turgon wrote:I found out that the sword in the picture is called "The Lord of the Rings sword". A webpage says: "Greg Hildebrandt designed this sword for the Franklin Mint. It is designed in the style of a generic medieval sword and represents Glamdring. The sword has highlights in 24 karat gold. The hilt is pewter. Length: 39 inches.

I guess this has to be Glamdring then :)

I wonder how much this glamdring would be, i dont like it. Its to decerated. Im guessing orcist will be alot like glamdring, maybe thell make it like how they made isildurs swords to narsil. I hope they make it well.

Sorry this post was more about the sword then the actual owner, my apoligies :D
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

If orcist is a similarly noble blade to that of glamdring it makes sense that it would of been used by a high ranking elf in gondolin. I can't remember the silmirilian very well but at the fall of gondolin doesn't someone fight and kill a balrog, perhaps this is orcist and the original owner :)
'His name is Aragorn son of Arathorn, you owe him your alliegence'

That would be Ecthelion, an elf-lord of Gondolin that killed Gothmog, the Lord of Balrogs, in single combat during the Fall of Gondolin, but was himself also slain. It is quite possible that Orcrist might have been his, as he was of high rank, being Warden of the Gates and Lord of the Fountains. It would be fitting indeed if Orcrist had been used in that battle, because several millenia later, its mate, Glamdring, would also be used to slay a Balrog.

Another noble elf died while fighting a Balrog during the Fall of Gondolin. This was Glorfindel, Lord of the House of the Golden Flower. However, his body and that of the Balrog's fell into an abyss in the mountains, so it is doubtful Orcrist belonged to him.

I quite like the idea that Orcrist may have belonged to Ecthelion. It seems right somehow. Good call, Arathorn! :)

Return to “Tolkien”