Re: Guess where I went...

I was hoping to make it down there... but time constraints hold me and my family back. I'd want to spend a full day there, and its just not enough time. I start school in... 16 days, I'm going for my drivers license on the 30th, and theres so much more that is going on.

So what were your favourite rooms?
Valar morghulis

You sure are lucky Greenleaf.Many of us would give a leg and more to be there (ok,Im not sure about that).It must be a very amazing e xp erience to see all the props used in the movie.Congratulations!
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadow shall spring; Renewed shall be the blade that was broken: The crownless again shall be king.

I'll be seeing it in Boston in less than a month now. I've planned a rather extravagant (for me, anyway) vacation around it, in fact. I did this because it seemed like a good opportunity to visit New England, which I've never done before, and because who knew when the exhibit would be in the US again? I mean, the next stop is Sydney, Australia.

So it stung just a little bit when I found out it's going to be in Houston next summer. But I thought, hey, it's still a good excuse to finally get me to New England. Plus, I'd rather see Boston than Houston anyway (been to Houston before).

And then, just now, I read that it's going to be in Indianapolis next fall. Indianapolis is a two-hour drive from my house. So I could have spent just the cost of a tank of gas to travel to it. Oh well, I guess this means I'll get to see it a second time....
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Houston next summer?!?!?This is great news Olorin,I was having troubles trying to convinve my parents to take me to Boston(since school is still in in October)but now,I can go in summer.Awesome :D Summer 2005 is gonna be the best summer of my life.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadow shall spring; Renewed shall be the blade that was broken: The crownless again shall be king.

Yes, it slays me that they won't allow pictures. In fact, the web site says they won't allow cell phones. Is it due to the growing prevalence of the (accursed) camera phones, or are they so hyper that they don't want anyone calling out and describing it to their friends? :rolleyes: It also says no bags. When I'm sightseeing, I like carrying a backpack to keep my stuff in that I buy. All I can say is, that museum better have a coat check room!

Also, while I am very glad I made several people's day by announcing that the exhibit is coming to Houston next summer, bear in mind that is not confirmed yet. I saw it online a couple of weeks ago, and the official Te Papa Museum (the museum in New Zealand that is sponsoring this) has nothing about it on their website yet. While I have no doubt it will go to at least a few more major cities in the US, don't book your vacation just yet! On the other hand, if you need from now to then to convince your parents to take you, by all means get started! :D
Last edited by Olorin on Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correction

Valkrist wrote:Hi Olorin.... I haven't a clue where to begin looking for this info. Any Canadian stops on that list? Or even Seattle, which is the US city closest to me?

So far, the "official" list (http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/Rings/) is just Singapore (over), Boston (soon to be over), and Sydney. I read about the alleged visits to Houston and Indianapolis on theonering.net. That would be your best bet for info, since the Te Papa site probably doesn't get updated too regularly. Even beyond looking for exhibit info, I'd recommend everyone on the list to read theonering.net regularly anyway, as it's the best source of LOTR news on the Internet.

I would hope the exhibit would come to Canada, although I suspect you guys often get shortchanged on things like that, as planners think, "Oh well, they can just go next door to the US to see it," not necessarily realizing how absolutely enormous Canada and the US are, area-wise. Our states and provinces are bigger than many sovereign nations.

Thanks for the info, Olorin, I will keep an eye on it. Actually, one of the first stops of the exhibit (if not the very first one,) was at Casa Loma in Toronto. Unfortunately, that is clear across the country for me, and as you pointed out, Canada is huge... it's a five hour flight from here to there. :rolleyes:

Something on the west coast would be nice... Vancouver, Seattle, or even San Francisco. Don't know if I would go as far as LA.

Valkrist wrote:Thanks for the info, Olorin, I will keep an eye on it. Actually, one of the first stops of the exhibit (if not the very first one,) was at Casa Loma in Toronto. Unfortunately, that is clear across the country for me, and as you pointed out, Canada is huge... it's a five hour flight from here to there. :rolleyes:

Something on the west coast would be nice... Vancouver, Seattle, or even San Francisco. Don't know if I would go as far as LA.

That's right--I forgot it was in Toronto! Funny thing is, when I read about that, I was envious of the Torontonians (feel free to correct me if that's not the right term for a resident of Toronto) and wishing it wasn't so far away. Well, now I'm not only going to Boston to see it (even farther), but coming through Toronto on the way back. Go figure. I guess a few years can change one's perspective.

Another place on the west coast where it could conceivably pop up is Portland. I mention that because a few years ago, Portland hosted a similar type exhibit based on Star Trek. It ultimately came to Chicago and I got to see it. Unfortunately, I remember more about how hair-raising it was to drive in downtown Chicago than the exhibit itself.

And who knows--maybe the LOTR exhibit will come to Yellowknife...not! ;)

Return to “Tolkien”