Re: The Hobbit

The dwarven swords look very...don't know how to say it..."fantasy-like" to me. But I really dig that symetrical look in contrast to the curviture of the elven weapons. I can't wait to see more photos!
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]The dwarven swords look very...don't know how to say it..."fantasy-like" to me. But I really dig that symetrical look in contrast to the curviture of the elven weapons. I can't wait to see more photos![/quote]

Fin when you say "fantasy," I have a feeling you have a similar definition to my own that I get harped on a lot for lol!

You mean they look over wide like some of the completely ridiculous anime or Final Fantasy video game swords?

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Fin when you say "fantasy," I have a feeling you have a similar definition to my own that I get harped on a lot for lol!

You mean they look over wide like some of the completely ridiculous anime or Final Fantasy video game swords?[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about lol. It's similar in my eyes, only not overboard and ridiculous, and of course overall presentable because Weta made them.

[quote=""Valkrist""]I guess their love of geometric shapes overcame their common sense as weaponsmiths? :huh: [/quote]

Apparently. I think there was some stuff in the EE documentaries in FotR where they talked about the design for Moria and how it was very geometrical, if you recall. They're probably following suit with the weapons for the dwarves in The Hobbit. Speaking of Moria...You know, looking back on it, it's kinda creepy that the skeleton Gandalf takes the book from in FotR in the Chamber of Mazarbul is probably one of our new, lovable dwarves in The Hobbit!

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Speaking of Moria...You know, looking back on it, it's kinda creepy that the skeleton Gandalf takes the book from in FotR in the Chamber of Mazarbul is probably one of our new, lovable dwarves in The Hobbit![/quote]

Only three dwarves from the Hobbit E xp edition went into Moria, all the rest were not in the party or just Dwarf soldiers.

Those were:
Balin
Oin
Ori

Of course Balin was in the tomb.
Oin was killed by the watcher of the gates
Leaving Ori!

And it was indeed Ori that wrote the last few pages in the book of Mazarbul, so there we go!

Of course that is a picture of the dwarf holding the book and doesn't mean it truly is Ori, but he wrote the last pages, and he died in the tomb so boom! Assumption made and picture awesome.

BE SAD ALL! Mwahahaha!
Last edited by RevAnakin on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]I like this photo

[/quote]

I wonder how they are going to introduce Orcrist and Glamdring names. Are they going to follow the book and have the company bring them to Elrond where he gives a quick history of Gondolin, or will they find them and Gandalf gives the history.

I make this note because that picture could be sooooo much cooler if Elrond was looking at Orcrist or Glamdring.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I wonder how they are going to introduce Orcrist and Glamdring names. Are they going to follow the book and have the company bring them to Elrond where he gives a quick history of Gondolin, or will they find them and Gandalf gives the history.

I make this note because that picture could be sooooo much cooler if Elrond was looking at Orcrist or Glamdring.[/quote]

I'm sure in the first article that was released in total film or empire last year, it gave a description of this scene that they were filming and I'm sure it said Elrond first looks at the two swords and reveals their names. Then takes the map from Thorin like in the book. I have the scans from the article somewhere on my computer, I'll have a look for them later.

EDIT: Just checked and it only says Thorin relunctantly hands over the map to Elrond. No mention about the swords. Its not to say that they dont hand over the swords, but its only the map mentioned as well as the cameras and other things used to film the scene. Also according to the article, Balin is in the scene too.
Last edited by Lindir on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Hmm... well they better not leave it out all together! I mean, I can understand if they give Gandalf the line because they don't want the Elrond scene to draw on too long if there is a bunch of other stuff.[/quote]

They might do that. I can't remember if it was here or on another forum I was looking at, but people were discussing why Gandalf couldn't translate the runes on the swords. Then someone came up with the conclusion that the swords were dirty and then were cleaned at Rivendell or something like that and Elrond translated them properly.

I feel like it actually should be Gandalf who translates them, although this doesn't take place in the book.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Well, we all know that Gandy the Grey has had his flukes *cough*moon door*cough* :D [/quote]

hahaha yeh thats true. I'm looking forward to seeing the movies, I hope they do well at the box office too.

I think it is safe to say the following will for sure be produced:

re-issue Glamdring
Orcrist
Gandalf Staff Movie 1
Sting (no inscription)

Good Possibility:
Gandalf Staff Movie 2
Kili Sword
Fili Sword
Gloin Axe
Dwalin Hammer (if they can bring down cost)

Less Likely:
Dori Sword
Nori Mace
Balin Sword
Last edited by RevAnakin on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

If MGM is a part of the movie, that means Disney has some rights over the film. I would love to see a "Lord of the Rings" world at Disney! Never going to happen but I would just want them to outdo the crappy Harry Potter World at Universal Studios.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]If MGM is a part of the movie, that means Disney has some rights over the film. I would love to see a "Lord of the Rings" world at Disney! Never going to happen but I would just want them to outdo the crappy Harry Potter World at Universal Studios.[/quote]

Tolkien hated Disney. He would spin in his grave at the thought of what you suggest.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""BladeCollector""]There wasn't a Disney World back then! Disney World is great! haha[/quote]

I work during Star Wars Weekends at Hollywood Studios that used to be Disney MGM, that is the only reason why I wondered. I didn't know MGM had any stake in the Hobbit.

Well, I just looked at the major movie studios and who owns who. Disney no longer holds a contract with MGM, hence why it is now called Hollywood Studios Orlando. Universal as well has no stake in it. New Line of course merged with WB and that is owned by Time Warner which also owns HBO. Which means, we'll never see a Lord of the Rings World at any major theme park.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I thought he just hated the idea of Disney making the Lord of the Rings cartoon because he like his fantasy realistic and not Disneyfied. I didn't know it had anything to do with Disney himself.[/quote]

I didn't mean to suggested he hated Walt Disney, the man himself. I just meant he hated Disney studios and the kind of movies they made.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]BE SAD ALL! Mwahahaha![/quote]

Sadness! :embarasse

[quote=""Olorin""]Tolkien hated Disney. He would spin in his grave at the thought of what you suggest.[/quote]

I never knew that. Interesting indeed.

Personally, I would LOVE to have Balin and Dwalin's weapons! I love the sword's long handle and the red grip. And what's not to like about that hammer? :thumbs_up

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I think UC is not liking the amount of materials to make it with![/quote]

Well, yeah, besides from a production standpoint! But hopefully if the dwarven stuff sells well this time around, it wil convince them to go for a war hammer.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Why the heck is Gandalf holding Glamdring in Hobbiton?[/quote]

The collection of photos is a promo as most of them look obviously posed. My guess on the Gandalf one before Bag End is that it is not a scene from the movie. If it is, then it could be at the end, not the beginning, otherwise someone messed up royally.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]The collection of photos is a promo as most of them look obviously posed. My guess on the Gandalf one before Bag End is that it is not a scene from the movie. If it is, then it could be at the end, not the beginning, otherwise someone messed up royally.[/quote]

Oh, please let that be the case :D

Last scene of the second movie:

Bilbo thanks Gandalf for a great adventure, bids him goodnight and closes the door.

Gandalf looks at the door pensively for a moment, then looks straight into the camera with an emotioneless stare, and intones with a certain Austrian accent: "I'll be back!"

Fade to black.

:thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Gandalf looks at the door pensively for a moment, then looks straight into the camera with an emotioneless stare, and intones with a certain Austrian accent: "I'll be back!"

Fade to black.

:thumbs_up [/quote]

I would give up half my collection just to hear Ian Mc. do an Arnold impression!

[quote=""Valkrist""]Last scene of the second movie:

Bilbo thanks Gandalf for a great adventure, bids him goodnight and closes the door.

Gandalf looks at the door pensively for a moment, then looks straight into the camera with an emotioneless stare, and intones with a certain Austrian accent: "I'll be back!"

Fade to black.

:thumbs_up [/quote]

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I would give up half my collection just to hear Ian Mc. do an Arnold impression![/quote]

Thirty days in the pits of Dol Guldur for both of you!

[quote=""N2darkness""]This is another entertainment weekly photo and I believe some of those are just photoshoped composites, Gandalf and Thorin kind of look out of place with there scenery.[/quote]

What is another EW photo? The strip from before or did you mean to post another pic?

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Excuse me while I pick my jaw up and dry my tears...[/quote]

Fin, you are an incurable romantic....and that is a very good thing to be. :)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Tolkien”