Re: The Hobbit

[quote=""N2darkness""]Check this picture out! Make sure you click it to make it bigger!

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/07/ ... L_6000.jpg[/quote]
Of all I have ever seen of artworks, promos, etc. I want this one!
I sure hope they offer it for sale. :) :thumbs_up
It's beautiful and powerful; Wonderfully done.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

It certainly would be a great banner for the top of the wall!

General question for whoever may want to answer:

I still do not own any form of Glamdring. With the Hobbit coming out, they are sure to remake it. The question is will the previous design be improved? I found a couple places where the original Glamdring is sub $100, so I was thinking about picking it up. But if improvements will be made, should I just save my money to buy it retail from BUDK?

It's a beautiful sword, def worth getting. And if they do remake it (whether it's changed or not) I'm sure it's going to be much more than $100.

Great scroll! I'm interested to see how they work the story of Dol Guldur and the Morgul (witchking) blade. That said, I'm kinda sad as we probably won't see Smaug in this movie since it looks like it ends at the party arriving at Laketown. Still very excited tho!

Very good article, although it did point out a very disappointing fact. Sting appears to be glowing around spiders. That wasn't in the book and it didn't glow around Shelob in Return of the King. This inconsistency just stirs up my disappointment about Glamdring not glowing when it should have, and now makes me wonder if Orcrist will? I seem to recall that being a fairly big part of the chapter where they were running from the goblins in the caves before Bilbo was lost and found the ring.

I think I read someone that Orcrist will glow, so should Glamdring in the upcoming movies.

I have a feeling Sting isn't going to actually glow with the Spiders. I think that is just an effect they put on the promo print. Without the blue glow, the sword would get lost in the background visually on the print.

The witchking's dagger is on the table in front of Elrond. I wonder how he'll get it back?

That banner is so cool. I hope UC produce a replica of Thorin's Dwarven sword. I agree with Val, I don't think the pic of Gandalf with Glamdring is from the movie. I'm sure I have seen it somewhere before (or something similar). But if you watch the trailer, Gandalf doesn't have Glamdring when we first see him at Hobbiton and then later in Bag End when he and the Dwarves turn up.

I think they will make it so that Glamdring turns up the treasure cave with Orcrist and Sting, I can't see any logic in changing it.

also the picture of the Wargs, I'm sure I have seen it somewhere before as well. The one at the front looking out to us reminds me of a book cover I've seen somewhere.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""RosereIII""]Technically it is a morgul-blade, a dagger only ever used by ringwraiths; specifically the Witchking. So it doesn't have to be the exact one seen in Fellowship of the Ring.[/quote]

Correct, there are probably hundreds in the arsenal of the Ringwraiths. Especially if they all dissolved after one stab!

[quote=""BladeCollector""]I see it now, if it would have been a snake, it would have bit me[/quote]

It would have bit me on the face!

[quote=""Valkrist""]All things considered, and for how many dwarves there are in this movie, there is a considerable dearth of axes, which is supposed to be their hallmark weapon. Then again, that could just simply be a fantasy stereotype and Jackson opted to diversify their weapon choices as much as he did their physical appearance. I'm still a little put out as to how some folks are heavily criticizing this decision while failing to see how necessary it is for an audience to tell all these guys apart, but that's a discussion for another thread.[/quote]

So true. That is something that I mentioned at the beginning of this whole mess. Tolkien definitely had a vision for dwarves, in this case they are very different from what most of us thought. But as you said, people have to be able to tell them apart. We have to remember how dumb, I mean really dumb, the general public is. I know people who can't tell the difference between Aragorn and Boromir, Theoden and Eomer; it's ridiculous. Plus it would be pretty monotonous to see 13 of the same thing, with slightly different noses, coloured beards, coloured clothing, and one fat one! The only problem I have is that I think Thorin's beard is too short, but I got over that fast.
Last edited by RevAnakin on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The dwarves all couldn't look like Gimli, do all people look alike? No... if you picked 13 members of the forums, we wouldn't all have the same height, weight, hair style, hair color, facial hair, etc.

We aren't talking Vulcans and Romulans here where 99.9% of the species has the same hair cut!

[quote=""RevAnakin""]We have three Trolls at SDCC

[/quote]

I saw the pic, I wonder how they'll e xp lain the missing shirts in the fellowship of the ring?

On the subject of the Dwarves, Thorin is my favourite. after that its Balin, I like his beard and his clothes. And that sword/mace he has looks cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how much depth Richard Armitage will give to the character of Thorin, and I look forward to seeing his story play out on screen. He looked very powerful and had an incredible presence in the trailer.

I doubt it. I think similar to the trolls they are going to continue feeding us more clear images of what we have already seen, rather than introducing whole new pictures. Comic con will probably just be more exclamation on the plot than cool production pictures.

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]I saw the pic, I wonder how they'll e xp lain the missing shirts in the fellowship of the ring?
[/quote]

Remember, just because the trolls turn to stone doesn't mean the cloth they are wearing does. It would take long for the clothes to be weathered away.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Remember, just because the trolls turn to stone doesn't mean the cloth they are wearing does. It would take long for the clothes to be weathered away.[/quote]

Hadn't thought of that. You're just too clever for your own good sometimes... ;)
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Hadn't thought of that. You're just too clever for your own good sometimes... ;) [/quote]

Thank you so much, but your keen eye caught the facial hair that I did not catch. Moving the troll thing here so we don't go off topic about Weta. It is a small detail not continued in both sets, but annoying all the same. I could argue, that little tiny hair made of stone could smooth out over decades of rain and wind erosion, but I do have to say it annoys me when they overlook or don't care about these things.

Similar continuity problems really grind my gears in Star Wars. Ex. Anakin vs. Obi-wan fight. Anakin has lightsaber up to Obi-wan's throat, he is actually holding the wrong lightsaber for a split second. This was due to an extended scene shot where they switched lightsabers, but they cut it out but not that ending part. It ticks me off because Lucas and now P.J. have practically "unlimited" funds when it comes to quickly reshooting that scene for the 1.5 second of screen time and of course in P.J.'s case just telling Weta to make sure they look exactly like the props they did 10 years ago.
Last edited by Olorin on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I am actually surprise that they are going to go through the Barrel sequence in the first movie. If we look at the Hobbit chapters, finishing the first movie there is about 62% through the book by itself. Plus, all these appendix additions will most likely occur in the first film. They are going to have to really elongate the scenes with Smaug and the final battle because I don't see how they are going to get a full movie out of part 2.

I moved the discussion about CJRT and his disdain for the movies (including splitting Rev's post in two) to the Pure Middle Earth Discussion thread, since it didn't really have much to do with The Hobbit movies per se.
Last edited by Olorin on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""Olorin""]I moved the discussion about CJRT and his disdain for the movies (including splitting Rev's post in two) to the Pure Middle Earth Discussion thread, since it didn't really have much to do with The Hobbit movies per se.[/quote]

Thank you Olorin, I greatly appreciate your dedication to the thread of The Hobbit!

There's a whole lot of publicity right now, due to Comic Con. One nugget I gleamed earlier today is that the next trailer will be some time in September. Here's a Q&A (not pertaining to the trailer) that was interesting.
Q and A: Peter Jackson, the lord of the 'Hobbit'

By GEOFF BOUCHER

Los Angeles Times

LOS ANGELES -- Peter Jackson rarely hears grumbles from Middle-earth fans - just the opposite. "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy not only enjoyed success in epic proportions, it was also the rare triple-threat in terms of box-office numbers, industry awards and critical acclaim. Yet a degree of wariness may be in order as he approaches the preview of "The Hobbit" at Comic-Con International on Saturday because of his e xp erience at another preview in Las Vegas last April. Reactions were divided about Jackson's new Tolkien footage; it was screened at 48 frames per second (the norm is 24 frames) and, in the view of some, the added clarity actually sapped the majesty out of Middle-earth and made it look more like an episode of "Masterpiece Theatre." We asked him about his plans.

Question: It would be silly to consider a July afternoon in San Diego as a make-or-break moment for a December release - especially one with the heritage, resources and global interest that "The Hobbit" has on its side. But it'd also be a mistake to underestimate the importance of reaching core fans. How would you frame the Hall H appearance as far as the stakes?
Answer: I think it's more about protecting the downside, rather than helping the film in any significant way. There is a huge audience waiting to see "The Hobbit," and any positive press from Comic-Con will truthfully have little impact on that. However, as we saw at CinemaCon earlier this year, with our 48-frames-per-second presentation, negative bloggers are the ones the mainstream press runs with and quotes from. I decided to screen the "Hobbit" reel at Comic-Con in 2-D and 24 frames per second, so the focus stays firmly with the content and not the technical stuff. If people want 3-D and 48fps, that choice will be there for them in December.

Q: Even as well as you know Tolkien, I'm sure the process of making these two new films has presented you with new insights and connections with the material. What surprises have you found in Middle-earth or in the work of the bookshelf wizard?

A: As slight as people think the "Hobbit" novel is, compared to the "Lord of the Rings" books, we have been surprised at how rich the world is, and how many interesting themes and characters there are to e xp lore. We are also using extensive parts of the appendixes, which were published at the end of "Return of the King." This is not just "The Hobbit" - it's "The Hobbit" set in a much greater context of events taking place throughout Middle-earth during this period. The material is so rich. In fact, only this last week or two, we've been talking to the studio about allowing us to shoot some additional material next year, to fully complete the story.

Q: In some ways, Martin Freeman might have more weight on his shoulders than any single actor in the first trilogy. How would you say he's handling it?
A: We adjusted our shooting schedule around Martin's "Sherlock" TV series to enable him to do the movie. We literally couldn't think of any other actor in the world more perfect to play Bilbo Baggins. Get that casting wrong and the movie falls flat on its face. Martin knocks it out of the park.

Q: If you had one sentence for the Middle-earth fans who don't get a seat in Hall H, what would it be?

A: We've all loved returning to Middle-earth and now look forward to fans stepping back into this world with us.

We've all been assuming these movies would follow exactly the same pattern as LOTR, so it did sound a little odd that they had to get Warner's ok to shoot some more footage later. I'd think PJ could afford to fund that himself, if Warner balked. Still, since Warner consumed New Line, they've seemingly kept a lot tighter rein on productions.

PJ talked about the Silmarilion during the comic con panel for the Hobbit and told the fans that the Tolkien Estate owns the Silmarilion and they probably won't be able to make a movie out of it. He also says he doesn't think the Tolkien Estate likes the movies they have made which is what that article basically said that was posted here the other day.

That's a shame. I really hope that when another member of the Tolkien family is in charge, PJ will be able to do some of the Sil. He just has to be very careful. I wouldn't be opposed to doing it in pieces, but trying to do the whole thing in one would be cinematic suicide.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

The Silmarillion will never be filmed while CJRT is alive. Period.

Some day, when it may be filmed, breaking it up into individual movies would be the only way to do it. There would have to be an introductory movie about the creation of the world, the rebellion of Morgoth, and the rebellion of the Noldor. The Tale of Beren and Luthien would be a natural stand-alone movie, as would The Children of Hurin and The Akallabeth.

At the risk of raising hackles, someone other than PJ needs to make those movies. For starters, I doubt PJ wants to spend the rest of his life filming Tolkien. Beyond that, his frequently ham-fisted humor has even less place in the Sil than it did in LOTR.

"...I recognize that this is a debatable and complex question of art, and the suggestions that have been made that I 'disapprove' of the films, whatever their cinematic quality, even to the extent of thinking ill of those with whom I may differ, are wholly without foundation." ― Christopher Tolkien Not sure how old that is but I found it on the Tolkien Gateway:
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Christopher_Tolkien

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I just looked the old story up about this yesterday.
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,187739,00.html[/quote]

Ah, thats where the quote is from. Thanks for the link Kit. Like others have said, if Jackson hadn't made these movies I would have never been interested. I do plan on reading the Lord of the Rings, I've read bits of it, and after seeing the return of the king I went out and bought the Hobbit and read it straight away. I've read it many times since then and love it.

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]Ah, thats where the quote is from. Thanks for the link Kit. Like others have said, if Jackson hadn't made these movies I would have never been interested. I do plan on reading the Lord of the Rings, I've read bits of it, and after seeing the return of the king I went out and bought the Hobbit and read it straight away. I've read it many times since then and love it.[/quote]

Same here EG... but with, as I describe them, Professors of Middle Earth around here, like Val, I dont think I need to read them!

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Same here EG... but with, as I describe them, Professors of Middle Earth around here, like Val, I dont think I need to read them![/quote]

I would say that the 'need' to read them is still there! But I agree that there are many here who can provide more information than is found in the book itself.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Same here EG... but with, as I describe them, Professors of Middle Earth around here, like Val, I dont think I need to read them![/quote]

You really should consider reading anything about M.E. that you can. The world unfolds in your head as you read, creating something ultimately unique for each person. :thumbs_up

Return to “Tolkien”