Re: The Hobbit

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Well, no disrespect intended to JRRT, but that ending worked great in the 1950s in print, but in the 2000-era cinema, epic fantasy action movie world, that would not have been a visually and emotion fueled scene as the one PJ created.[/quote]

I have to agree with you there.

Yes, the ending didn't have to be as "dramatic" as PJ made it, but honestly, in your heart visualize the original scene. Big moment, Gollum takes the ring and then he just dances right off the edge. The entire theatre would burst into laughter. Honestly, it is a ending that would be in a comedy movie.

Well, PJ pretty much had gollum doing exactly that. He gets the Ring, hugs it, and dances around by the edge. I suppose he very well could have fallen off right then and there without help from Frodo. I don't know how good it would have looked on screen :huh: but it's hard to convey acts of divine intervention in a film without opening the heavens and having the Hand of Eru swat him off the edge like a fly. :crazy:
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

I'm perfectly fine with the ending as it was filmed. However, I do agree with Deimos in hoping that people understand that not every pivotal moment in life is achieved under uber-dramatic circumstances. Sometimes great and important things just happen in the oddest, simplest, or yes, even most comedic of ways.

Lastly, a big shout out to Finrod and what he said. Smeagol/Gollum was a necessary part of LOTR, and an extremely important one at that. However, I too must confess that by the third movie I was ready to strangle the little bugger myself and never look back. His role in these new movies should most definitely be confined to his appearance in the book, which was very short. I really don't care to see a ton more of his antics. What I fear is that PJ, with an extra movie on his hands, will decide to show Gollum leaving the Misty Mountains to track Bilbo, eventually getting lost in Mirkwood, and then being captured by the Wood Elves. All of this is mentioned in LOTR so PJ has license to use any and all of that portion of the story. I just fervently hope he doesn't because the character has overstayed its welcome for me. :|
This Space for Rent

Its been quiet here, but the miniatures gaming forums have been burning up with the (apparently leaked) list of GW Hobbit (and 40K) wargaming figures to be released from June 2013 onwards for at least two years.

If the list is real (or contains real items), then there are a LOT of spoilers in it in the names of the figures. The names that we are not already familiar with will have been Peter Jackson inventions. We may not see ALL of these figures in the movies, but we will certainly see most of them.

This list does not contain figures that will be released from Dec 2012 to June 2012 so the Hobbit and Dwarves, trolls, basic goblins and other possible releases are not shown.

Hi,
the leaked list contains a lot of stuff supposedly to be released June 2013 or later.

- Dwarves: Kili & Fili & Longbeard Archers (Plastic Box)
- Dwarves: Dáin & Iron Hill Berserkers (Plastic Box)
- Dwarves: King Thráin & Longbeard Vanguard (Plastic Box)
- Dwarves: Young Thorin & Longbeard Mattockguard (Plastic Box)
- Dwarves: Dáin Ironfoot & Iron Hill Boar Riders (Plastic Box)
- Dwarves: Bombur with Kettle (Resin Box)
- Dwarves: Drogo Baggins & The Tavern Maid (Resin Box)
- Dwarves: King Thrór (Resin Blister)
- Turin, The Dragonslayer (Resin Blister)
- Dwarves: Dragon Mithril Company of Dwarves (Resin)
- Dwarves: Dís, Mother of Kili and Fili (Resin Blister)
- Dwarves: Gimli (Stubble) (Resin Blister)

- Silvan Elves: Legolas & Mirkwood Fire Archers (Plastic Box)
- Silvan Elves: Mirkwood Warhost (Resin)
- Silvan Elves: King Thranduil (Battle Garb) (Resin Blister)
- Silvan Elves: Tauriel (Mounted) (Resin Blister)
- Silvan Elves: Castellan Amroth (Resin BLister)

- Beornings: Meneldor & Swiftbeak Flock (Plastic Vehicle squadron box) <- Benign Werebears
- Beornings: Gorm & Woodmen Axethrowers / Skin-Changers (Plastic Box)
- Beornings: Whisperbark / Gnarlfir (Plastic, Rhino sized Box)
- Beornings: Black Bear Pack (Plastic Vehicle squadron box)
- Beornings: Woodmen Healer (Resin Blister)
- Beornings: Fair Daughter (Resin Blister)
- Beornings: Enraged Beorn (Resin)
- Beornings: Grimbeorn (Greataxe) (Resin Blister)

- White Council: Galadriel & Lórien Drumhooves (Plastic Box)
- White Council: Chief Aravir & Dúnedain Rangers (Small Plastic Box)
- White Council: Elrond & Rivendell Spearguard (Plastic Box)
- White Council: Elros & Rivendell Outriders (Plastic Box)
- White Council: Mounted Rivendell Nobles (Resin)
- White Council: The War Council (Resin)
- White Council: Lindir the Harper (Resin Blister)
- White Council: Arwen & Estel (Resin)
- White Council: Galadriel (Barrel) (Resin)
- White Council: Radagast with Roäc & Swoop (Resin)
- White Council: Galadriel (Water Steed) (Resin)
- White Council: Dúnedain Runecaster (Resin)
- White Council: Cirdan the Shipwright (Resin Blister)
- White Council: Radagast's Chariot / Spellfire Cart (upgrade pack)
- Gandalf (Dual Sword) (Resin)
- Frodo with Red Book (Resin Blister)
- Samwise Gamgee (Red Book) (Resin Blister)

- Men of Esgaroth: Bard & Greystreak Bowmen (Plastic Box)
- Men of Esgaroth: Bain & Quickstrings Gang / Trout Guild Militia (Plastic Box)
- Men of Esgaroth: Alfrid & Loyal Town Guard (Plastic)
- Men of Esgaroth: Garf & Footsoldiers of the Dale (Plastic)
- Men of Esgaroth: King Girion (Resin Blister)
- Men of Esgaroth: Fram the Watchman (Resin Blister)
- Men of Esgaroth: The Master of Lake-Town (Resin Blister)

- Mountain Orcs: Azog & Orc Needlers (Plastic Box)
- Mountain Orcs: Bolg & Great Goblin Bodyguard (Plastic Box)
- Mountain Orcs: Armoured Hill-Trolls / Frenzied Trolls (Plastic Box)
- Mountain Orcs: Azog (Wounded) (Resin Blister)
- Mountain Orcs: Orc Stone Thrower (Resin)

- Wargs: Grinnah & Mirkwood Werewolves (Plastic Box)
- Wargs: Feral Wolf Pack (Plastic Box)
- Wargs: The Werebeast (Plastic, Rhino sized Box)
- Wargs: Lagdush & Orc Wolfcloak Warriors (Plastic Box)
- Wargs: Narzug & Orc Warg-Riders (Plastic Box)
- Wargs: Dire Warg (Resin Box)
- Wargs: Dol Guldur Orc Overlords (Resin)
- Wargs: Orc Chieftain on Warg (Resin)
- Wargs: Orc Wolfbone Shaman (Resin)

- Dol Guldur: Leaping Spiders / Shiverfang Spiders (Plastic Box)
- Dol Guldur: The Necromancer / Flesh Avatar (Plastic, Rhino sized Box) <- Sauron in disguise faction
- Dol Guldur: Tomb Wights (Plastic)
- Dol Guldur: Mounted Tomb Wights (Plastic)
- Dol Guldur: Saruman & The Ringwraiths (Plastic Box)
- Dol Guldur: Vampire Bat Swarms (Plastic Box)
- Dol Guldur: Spiderlings (Resin Box)
- Dol Guldur: The Willowhags (Resin)
- Dol Guldur: Bloodwraiths (Resin)
- Dol Guldur: Gwethil (Resin)
- Dol Guldur: Narzug & Orc Summoner Coven (Resin)

- Smaug the Golden (Plastic, large land Raider sized Box)
- Grey Mountain Dragons: Fire-wyrms (Plastic Vehicle squadron box)
- Grey Mountain Dragons: Braga & Goldscale Worshippers (Plastic Box)
- Grey Mountain Dragons: Money Bags & Hired Knives (Plastic Box)
- Grey Mountain Dragons: Venomblade Assassin (Resin Blister)
- Grey Mountain Dragons: Goldscale Priest (Resin Blister)
- Grey Mountain Dragons: Bofur on Cold-Drake (Resin)
- Grey Mountain Dragons: Dragon Thrall (Resin)
- Grey Mountain Dragons: Fell Hatchlings (Resin)

- Adventure: Gandalf's Quest (Plastic, large land Raider sized Box)
- Adventure: Gandalf's Quest (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: The Battle at the East Gate (Plastic, Rhino sized Box)
- Adventure: The Battle at the East Gate (Plastic, Rhino sized Box)
- Adventure: The Fall of Dale (Plastic Vehicle squadron box)
- Adventure: The Fall of Dale (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: The Belltower (Plastic, large land Raider sized Box)
- Adventure: The Belltower (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: A Thief in the Night (Plastic, Rhino sized Box)
- Adventure: A Thief in the Night (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: Assault on the Aerie (Plastic Box)
- Adventure: Assault on the Aerie (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: The Clearing of Foul Roots (Plastic Box)
- Adventure: The Clearing of Foul Roots (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: Assault on the Barrows (Plastic, large land Raider sized Box)
- Adventure: Assault on the Barrows (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: Clash of the Beasts (Plastic, Rhino sized Box)
- Adventure: Clash of the Beasts (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: Raid on the Wizard Hut (Plastic, Rhino sized Box)
- Adventure: Raid on the Wizard Hut (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: The Last Stand (Plastic Box)
- Adventure: The Last Stand (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: The Raven Hill (Plastic Box)
- Adventure: The Raven Hill (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: Thorin's Folly (Plastic Box)
- Adventure: Thorin's Folly (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: The Battle of Five Armies (Plastic Box)
- Adventure: The Battle of Five Armies (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: Breaking the Siege (Plastic, Rhino sized Box)
- Adventure: Breaking the Siege (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: Revenge of the Goblin King (Plastic Box)
- Adventure: Blacksoil Slope (Plastic Box)
- Adventure: Blacksoil Slope (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: The Final Onslaught (Plastic Box)
- Adventure: The Clouds Burst (Plastic, Rhino sized Box)
- Adventure: The Ritual (Plastic Box)
- Adventure: The Haunted Tombs (Plastic Box)
- Adventure: The Haunted Tombs (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: The Blight Breach (Plastic, large land Raider sized Box)
- Adventure: The Blight Breach (yes, listed twice)
- Adventure: Gollum's Escape (Plastic Box)
- Adventure: Gollum's Escape (yes, listed twice)

Note: does not contain re-releases, non-miniature products or the miniature range with codes below 2xxx
Note: contains only boxes that are currently NOT in mass production, e xp ect release beginning in june 2013 at the earliest, the bulk of the releases for the first movie are done by then
Note: leaked before the announcement of the third movie, unknown if this is accounted for
Note: not every release has to be based on the movie, Games Workshop has released miniatures before that were omitted by PJ, like Glorfindel, Elladan & Elrohir, and so on

Interesting that Bolg and Azog are both on there.

I wonder if PJ is going to play around with a War of the Dwarves and Goblins flashback to Thrain and Azog.
#UC1264 Sting, #UC1300 Sting Scabbard, #UC1298 Hadhafang, #UC1372WGNB Fighting Knives of Legolas, UC1381LTNB Knives of Legolas Scabbards, #UC1371WGBN Knife of Strider, #UC-1370ABNB Herugrim

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I bet PJ and Co. are not happy at all about this leak.[/quote]

...or New Line Cinema. The licensing contract with Games Workshop is supposedly very, very strict about leaks. Some of the tabletop wargaming community is saying the list is fake, but it looks pretty good to me.

So Kit, do any of those new character names look familiar? Anything you can say without breaking your NDA is appreciated.

We did get an intimation from someone supposedly connected with the movie that the list is good.

Thanks,

Tim

Finrod, it's pretty much been all but confirmed that we will see some form of LOTR-style prologue which will set up the dwarves' exile from Erebor, starting with the War of the Dwarves and Orcs, Thrain, Azog, and Thror, and also how Thorin got the moniker of 'Oakenshield.' This flasback will likely culminate with the coming of Smaug and the destruction of Dale, which are also very obvious at this point.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""timdp""]
So Kit, do any of those new character names look familiar? Anything you can say without breaking your NDA is appreciated.

[/quote]
I really can't comment on it at all. All will be revealed in December, or at least 1/3rd of it :)
KRDS

[quote=""Valkrist""]Finrod, it's pretty much been all but confirmed that we will see some form of LOTR-style prologue which will set up the dwarves' exile from Erebor, starting with the War of the Dwarves and Orcs, Thrain, Azog, and Thror, and also how Thorin got the moniker of 'Oakenshield.' This flasback will likely culminate with the coming of Smaug and the destruction of Dale, which are also very obvious at this point.[/quote]

I hadn't really thought about the possibility of a prologue, so this is exciting! Of course LOTR's prologue when through a number of iterations. First there was one, then there wasn't going to be one, and finally there was the one we got, which was apparently substantially shorter than the originally envisioned one. So who knows what we will get with The Hobbit.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Well, here's the thing: with PJ extending this whole thing to three movies, there's an opportunity now to include a lot more in a possible prologue. I can just see how it all starts, with Frodo asking Bilbo the story of how he got the Ring, and Bilbo prefacing the whole tale with the story of the dwarves and their exile.
This Space for Rent

I just hope he gets it right, unlike the rather bowdlerized presentation of Isildur that we got in LOTR. Isildur was a great, noble, and honorable character who had one tiny moment of weakness, upon which the fate of the world turned. And PJ made him look like a vain coward, someone for his descendants to be ashamed of.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""Valkrist""]Sigh... yeah, but don't get me started. I was speaking of smilies in the other thread, and another just came to mind that I saw recently: beating a dead horse. :P [/quote]

ooooo yeah...that one would definitely get a lot of use.
There are at least a dozen dead horses all over the forums.
What fun that would be to attach a smiley to them whenever they popped up :D

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I kind of hope they get Cate to do the narration again. I still get goosebumps when she narrates the Last Alliance prologue.

I wasn't aware it had been anywhere near confirmed that they were doing that in-depth a prologue for The Hobbit. I mean, obviously they were going to do the song from the actual book, you see them singing it in the trailer, and for that matter, it's so iconic I don't see how they could get around it. I figured they'd sort of do it like in the cartoon version, where the dwarves sing the song with a flashback to scenes of Smaug coming to Lonely Mountain.

But a longer prologue that goes back to Thrain and Moria, Azog stamping his name on Thrain's head, the war, Thorin and Dain's role, all that, that's a bigger bite to chew on that really doesn't HAVE to be in there, but it's much cooler with it. I wonder if they'll do it as an actual prologue, if they'll save it for a flashback in the middle of a movie, or if they'll even wait until the second or third movie to actually show it.

I'm glad they're doing it though, it gives Thorin's mission a lot more weight, and when Dain shows up and Beorn kills Bolg, it'll have a lot more resonance.
#UC1264 Sting, #UC1300 Sting Scabbard, #UC1298 Hadhafang, #UC1372WGNB Fighting Knives of Legolas, UC1381LTNB Knives of Legolas Scabbards, #UC1371WGBN Knife of Strider, #UC-1370ABNB Herugrim

[quote=""Valkrist""]Ask, and ye shall receive... :beatdead:[/quote]
Speaking of adding new emoticons, I saw one of Michael Jackson dancing, which when used for excitement when a new product is released, would be hilarious!

I can imagine Val doing this if they ever made Aeglos or Sauron's Mace

He just likes to wear the armor, like a boss.

Unless they throw him in with the Mirkwood elves, for no particular reason.

Yeah, there's also no picture of Balin and Dwalin, or am I just not seeing it?

Finrod, bite your tongue! I definitely do NOT want to see Elrond show up at the Battle of the Five Armies. I'm getting the sinking feeling that PJ will yet again treat it like another "throw in the kitchen sink too just 'cuz we can" scenario. We all know how much he looooooooves elves.

Helm's Deep, anybody? :rolleye: :beatdead:
This Space for Rent

I'm as much a stickler for accuracy as the next guy, probably more so.

But come on, the elves at Helm's Deep WERE pretty badass, and had pretty much zero bearing on the outcome of the battle. They still kept it more or less true to how the battle went with Eomer coming back and saving the day and what not. The elves were just ridiculous, delicious gravy.

I doubt they'll put Elrond at the Bo5A. Thranduil wouldn't be particularly happy to see him, I'd think. He's not described as the most genial of elves in the book.

I think he's in his armor for when the White Council attacks Dol Goldur, which I have to imagine he has a pretty big role in.

[quote=""Finrod Felagund""]I'm as much a stickler for accuracy as the next guy, probably more so.

But come on, the elves at Helm's Deep WERE pretty badass, and had pretty much zero bearing on the outcome of the battle. They still kept it more or less true to how the battle went with Eomer coming back and saving the day and what not. The elves were just ridiculous, delicious gravy.[/quote]

Remember that in the book a similar thing happened where Elrond and Galadriel "talked" telepathically and they send a group of rangers to aid Rohan and Aragorn right after the Battle of the Hornburg. Also, remember that Eomer in the book was actually at the Battle not saving the day with Gandalf, but the makers made a good decision to not introduce ANOTHER character that makes only a brief appearance. Finally, in the book, the Battle of the Hornburg is practically Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, and Eomer skirmishing in and outside the Deeping Wall back and forth. The actual soldiers of Rohan do little. The addition of the elves, although not book correct is one of the only ways to make the battle more believable that the defenses would hold longer than a few hours, without introducing the secret passage in the wall to allow our heroes to save the day just in the nick of time multiple times throughout the night.

[quote=""Finrod Felagund""]
I doubt they'll put Elrond at the Bo5A. Thranduil wouldn't be particularly happy to see him, I'd think. He's not described as the most genial of elves in the book.

I think he's in his armor for when the White Council attacks Dol Goldur, which I have to imagine he has a pretty big role in.[/quote]

Well, let us dearly hope that this is indeed the reason for it. I mean, now that we have three solid movies to fill, we might as well do it with some great story and action that fills the time. I would personally like to see Elrond do something in a scene rather than talk! (although Hugo W. is excellent at that!)

[quote=""Valkrist""]Yeah, there's also no picture of Balin and Dwalin, or am I just not seeing it?

Finrod, bite your tongue! I definitely do NOT want to see Elrond show up at the Battle of the Five Armies. I'm getting the sinking feeling that PJ will yet again treat it like another "throw in the kitchen sink too just 'cuz we can" scenario. We all know how much he looooooooves elves.

Helm's Deep, anybody? :rolleye: :beatdead:[/quote]
<---- what Valkrist wants to do to PJ's "harpies"

I've got a little catching up to do in this thread!

[quote=""Valkrist""] All of this is mentioned in LOTR so PJ has license to use any and all of that portion of the story. I just fervently hope he doesn't because the character has overstayed its welcome for me. [/quote]

Well, I wouldn't be opposed to it, if it was shown that Gollum went South and then got caught on the borders of Mordor and then was captured again by Aragorn. Soemthing that might occur in the third movie, or perhaps an epilogue.

[quote=""Olorin""]...which was apparently substantially shorter than the originally envisioned one. So who knows what we will get with The Hobbit.[/quote]

Which was a damn shame, because the prologue was one of the best parts of the whole Trilogy IMO, aside from the screwing-over of Isildur's character. I hope they do it in a voice-over style again.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Sigh... yeah, but don't get me started. I was speaking of smilies in the other thread, and another just came to mind that I saw recently: beating a dead horse. [/quote]

Is it me, or is our Administration becoming rather violent lately? :crazy:

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com ... copysm.jpg

a preview of the hobbit calander shows Elrond in armour and also a small image of Radagast

Radagast's staff looks like the one Gandalf uses in the fellowship of the ring[/quote]

I can never get enough of elves in armor. Radagast kind of reminds me of Davey Jones in Pirates 3 when Calypso touches him and he regresses to his "human" form.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Finrod, bite your tongue! I definitely do NOT want to see Elrond show up at the Battle of the Five Armies. I'm getting the sinking feeling that PJ will yet again treat it like another "throw in the kitchen sink too just 'cuz we can" scenario. We all know how much he looooooooves elves.

Helm's Deep, anybody? :rolleye: :beatdead:[/quote]
I was thinking more along the lines of Elrond at Dol Goldur, but I see that's already been pointed out. Another thing that's already been pointed out...the Administration is getting violent! :evil:

You know, it would be wicked if someone actually went through the trouble of animating a .gif of Morgoth raining down blows with Grond while Fingolfin sidestepped them and stabbed him with Ringil.

That would be the ultimate smiley for you! :thumbs_up :coolsmile
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Hmmm... anyone know where I can a good "beating Fingolfin" smilie? ;) [/quote]
No, but you might get a good clip from PJ when the Hobbits done :P
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Valkrist""]You know, it would be wicked if someone actually went through the trouble of animating a .gif of Morgoth raining down blows with Grond while Fingolfin sidestepped them and stabbed him with Ringil.

That would be the ultimate smiley for you! :thumbs_up :coolsmile [/quote]

Good Lord Val, I would use it in every post. :crazy:

[quote=""Thranduil""]No, but you might get a good clip from PJ when the Hobbits done :P [/quote]

No my love, they cannot beat usss! They can't catches usss, can they precious! No, we has our birthday present to escape them, gollum!

[quote=""Olorin""]I think we can stop worrying about Wargs with eyes in their paws or a Smaug that looks like a flying axe: http://io9.com/5937177/peter-jackson-te ... the-hobbit

This is a bit of a relief. I'd say it was a big relief, but since I was pretty much assuming this to be the case, confirmation really rates only as small relief.[/quote]
I get the impression that if it had remained in GdT's hands, we would of ended up with a Middle earth that didn't quite feel like the one we know. I definitely want to return to the same Middle earth, although the new digital sounds like a jump from what we are used to in visual clarity.
I won't mind staring into a window, as long as the view is the Middle earth I went into for LotR.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

I agree Thran!

First, I always felt GdT's work was darker anyways, which would have made it that much weirder seeing the more light hearted Hobbit films in. But, no matter how much we may not like plot changes, I think we can all generally agree that PJ's Middle Earth is as close as it will ever be. Glad that much will remain the same.

I think it would be cool to see some of del Toro's designs in the extras. I hope they do the same thing they did with LotR with some nice appendices.

[quote=""ecthelion""]hey i got some info on the scene from video blog 8 with the dwarven armor says its a flashback on heirs of durin also it has a glimpse of thrain in the gallery.[/quote]

Gallery? Do elaborate, I want to see this!

Has anyone else noticed that the script "vine" on the new 'Hobbit' Sting doesn't match up with the resulting 'LotR' Sting? The 'Hobbit' Sting has a vine design that goes from edge to edge of the blade. So unless the elves filled in the engraving then started over fresh when they added the writing, I think I'm seeing an inconsistency...

Hobbit: http://www.uniquities.co.uk/acatalog/uc2892.jpg
LotR: http://www.entertainmentearth.com/image ... 1264lg.jpg

[quote=""RosereIII""]Has anyone else noticed that the script "vine" on the new 'Hobbit' Sting doesn't match up with the resulting 'LotR' Sting? The 'Hobbit' Sting has a vine design that goes from edge to edge of the blade. So unless the elves filled in the engraving then started over fresh when they added the writing, I think I'm seeing an inconsistency...

Hobbit: http://www.uniquities.co.uk/acatalog/uc2892.jpg
LotR: http://www.entertainmentearth.com/image ... 1264lg.jpg[/quote]

yes well spotted! It'll probably be e xp lained in the future no doubt

Also the vine on the Hobbit version starts with a different angle
Last edited by Lindir on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

That's a pretty glaring error. Only by grinding the surface of the blade and then re-engraving it with the new pattern could this be done, but why would the elves do that? It would have been simpler to have recreated the old Sting with the same vine pattern as before and simply left the area in between blank.
This Space for Rent

Or by reforging the entire blade.

I think this was discussed here last year, but compare it to the MC version of Sting, not the standard UC version. It has been discussed many times, but the standard version etch is actually the reverse of what was on the prop, guard shape is shorter, vine is off, compared to most of the actor scale LOTR props. Those are things that were corrected on the MC version. The MC version etch is literally an exact tracing of what was on the actor scale prop. The vine seems to vary from prop to prop, as it did on the production LOTR swords. Also, that image of the LOTR Sting is artwork, not a photo of the final product.

Even with that, they don't exactly match up.
KRDS

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]yes well spotted! It'll probably be e xp lained in the future no doubt...[/quote]

No doubt....e xp lained by some more fake lore.

This is getting old.... :P

Very glad I decided long ago to forego the pre-inscription Sting.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Tolkien”