Re: The Hobbit

I have the same edition of The Children of Hurin but in hardcover. I have two different editions of The Hobbit: one is a small paperback from a box set and the other is the hardcover edition from History of The Hobbit.

As far as LotR, I wouldn't call it an over-dramatization to say it changed my life, too. I was obsessed with the movies in middle school-I'd literally watch them every day on youtube when I came home. When I finally got some Tolkien books for Christmas that year, I devoured them of course. Middle-Earth kind of encouraged me to "be myself", as you might say. It pushed me into the world of nerd-dom and intellectualisms that I've inhabited ever since, instead of trying to fit in and playing all those sports that I was never any good at anyway. :P
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I have the same edition of The Children of Hurin but in hardcover. I have two different editions of The Hobbit: one is a small paperback from a box set and the other is the hardcover edition from History of The Hobbit.

As far as LotR, I wouldn't call it an over-dramatization to say it changed my life, too. I was obsessed with the movies in middle school-I'd literally watch them every day on youtube when I came home. When I finally got some Tolkien books for Christmas that year, I devoured them of course. Middle-Earth kind of encouraged me to "be myself", as you might say. It pushed me into the world of nerd-dom and intellectualisms that I've inhabited ever since, instead of trying to fit in and playing all those sports that I was never any good at anyway. :P [/quote]

Im really looking forward to reading them properly. It'll be interesting to compare the movies to them, I just hope it doesnt ruin my love for the movies :|

I reserved the trilogy box set at my local book store and I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow. I realised I had like £20 in my wallet that I'd kept there. I thought I had spent it all but I hadn't, so now I can get the books :)

and yeh I was never any good at sports either. Whenever we used to play football at school, I was always as far away from it as I possibly could get. Being smacked full force in the face by the ball isn't fun I can tell you :P
Last edited by Lindir on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Lindir""]Im really looking forward to reading them properly. It'll be interesting to compare the movies to them, I just hope it doesnt ruin my love for the movies :|

I reserved the trilogy box set at my local book store and I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow. I realised I had like £20 in my wallet that I'd kept there. I thought I had spent it all but I hadn't, so now I can get the books :)

and yeh I was never any good at sports either. Whenever we used to play football at school, I was always as far away from it as I possibly could get. Being smacked full force in the face by the ball isn't fun I can tell you :P [/quote]
Since you are about to start, I just want to mention that when I got about a third way through the Sil, I wished I'd been taking notes. You might want to do that to get more out of it.

It's like when you read a name and then you read the same name in a different tongue, or from a different races history, it helps keep the names straight for the same person. Like Melkor & Morgoth. Eru & Iluvatar, etc.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Since you are about to start, I just want to mention that when I got about a third way through the Sil, I wished I'd been taking notes. You might want to do that to get more out of it.

It's like when you read a name and then you read the same name in a different tongue, or from a different races history, it helps keep the names straight for the same person. Like Melkor & Morgoth. Eru & Iluvatar, etc.[/quote]

That's a really good idea Thranduil. I will do so when I move onto the Silmarillion :)

I have been reading the fellowship of the ring. I'm not too far into it though. Gandalf has returned from his 9 year absence and is sharing some of the stories of Sauron and Gollum with Frodo. I'm finding that I can't put it down. The same way I felt with the Hobbit :)

MWAHAHAHA. :D

Another one has been ensnared.

Honestly, anyone who calls himself a serious fan of the movies should do themselves a favour and read the books. You are truly missing out on an epic tale if you do not. As good as the movies are, and they are excellent for the most part, the books offer so much, much more. :)
This Space for Rent

[quote=""BladeCollector""]I guess I should start reading them too.... *ducks his head*[/quote]

Bad. Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad. BAD.

BAD!!

BAD!!!!!

DID I MENTION BAD!!

Whew. I am of the opinion that you should try reading Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. :thumbs_up

Help me... I had to stop to do some work and all I could think about were the books. They were constantly on my mind, calling for me to keep reading.

I have a feeling that soon I'll be in the corner of my room with them going "They're mine. My own. My precious!"

[quote=""Lindir""]Help me... I had to stop to do some work and all I could think about were the books. They were constantly on my mind, calling for me to keep reading.

I have a feeling that soon I'll be in the corner of my room with them going "They're mine. My own. My precious!"[/quote]

Yep...once Tolkien's words (and world) take hold of you, you'll never be the same...similar in a way to what Galadriel warned Legolas about being changed by hearing the gulls (you haven't got to that part yet):

Legolas Greenleaf long under tree
In joy thou hast lived. Beware of the Sea!
If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore,
Thy heart shall then rest in the forest no more.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Here comes the new dilemma now... whether to buy this or not.

First instinct of course is to do it so you can enjoy the movie at home as many times as you want and as soon as possible. Of course, the EE won't be too far off, and when it appears... :|

When the theatrical editions of LOTR came out, I rushed out to buy them because I wanted to watch the movies at home. Then I got the EEs and never touched the TEs ever again. Took me a few years and I finally severed all emotional attachment and sold them off because I knew they would never get watched. I've since upgraded my EEs to Bluray, but I still have the original DVD EEs because they look nice, like collectibles.

So now I may have to go through it all over again with these Hobbit movies. :P
This Space for Rent

I was lucky enough to really get into LOTR after I had seen the EE's so I never had that issue. My only problem is now: wanting to buy that edition for that stupid preview... Which I am going to control myself because I know someone will put it online :)

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I was lucky enough to really get into LOTR after I had seen the EE's so I never had that issue. My only problem is now: wanting to buy that edition for that stupid preview... Which I am going to control myself because I know someone will put it online :) [/quote]

Like you, I never saw LOTR until after the EEs had been released. After watching them something like 150 times, I saw the theatrical versions and it was a bit jarring. There are tiny snips that are in the TE that aren't in the EE (moments with Frodo & Gandalf in the cart at the beginning of FOTR for instance), so I do occasionally watch the TEs. I'll definately buy my copy of The Hobbit come March 19!

[quote=""Olorin""]Actually, there is word on the EE, according to The Digital Bits. Warner has said it will be out in time for the holidays (big surprise, right?).[/quote]

Woops, I didn't see that :P

My plan is to buy it on DVD when it comes out next month and then wait and buy the extended version on Blu-ray. That way I'm not paying out for the more e xp ensive Blu-ray version of the theatrical cut. I am eager to see it again :P

Ah, the DVD dilemma again! I'm probably going to buy EE's single when they are released, and I'm sure at some point I'll get a box set. And I'll probably get whatever Weta releases bonus collectibles with, like the Argonath bookends with FotR. In short, I'll wind up with too many copies of these films. :P

Now I've just read that the UK isn't getting it until 8th April. So that means no preview of the Desolation of Smaug for me :(

The DVD is only a single disc edition as well with no special features whereas the US version is 2 discs. :angry:

Just a thought:

Remember at comic con when some preview footage was shown? A lot of the people there gave details of a scene where Gandalf is in Dol Guldur, or perhaps the tomb of the ringwraiths (it wasn't very clear, but I think it'll be Dol Guldur) and Radagast can't remember why or how he got there.

In the first Hobbit film, we saw Radagast save Sebastian by drawing out the dark power and storing it into the crystal from his staff. I'm wondering, could this have something to do with him turning up again at Dol Guldur, and also perhaps lead to his death if it is indeed going to go that way in the film? I hope he doesn't die though :'(

[quote=""Lindir""]Just a thought:

Remember at comic con when some preview footage was shown? A lot of the people there gave details of a scene where Gandalf is in Dol Guldur, or perhaps the tomb of the ringwraiths (it wasn't very clear, but I think it'll be Dol Guldur) and Radagast can't remember why or how he got there.
[/quote]

This is not giving anything away since it is in the Weta Chronicles book. There are a lot of designs in that book for the scenes that will be in the extended edition this Fall, including the High Fells, described as where the nine kings were taken and sealed (the made-up tombs that Galadriel described in the film). The book mentions both Gandalf and Radagast descending stairs into the tomb. There was even a photo of Gandalf walking in the tomb released before the three film split, showing the lattice crown glowing, also used for one of the NZ stamps.
http://latimesherocomplex.files.wordpre ... .jpg?w=572
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]This is not giving anything away since it is in the Weta Chronicles book. There are a lot of designs in that book for the scenes that will be in the extended edition this Fall, including the High Fells, described as where the nine kings were taken and sealed (the made-up tombs that Galadriel described in the film). The book mentions both Gandalf and Radagast descending stairs into the tomb. There was even a photo of Gandalf walking in the tomb released before the three film split, showing the lattice crown glowing, also used for one of the NZ stamps.
http://latimesherocomplex.files.wordpre ... .jpg?w=572[/quote]

Yep I saw that in the book. I figured it would have been moved to movie 2, but I guess it could still work in film 1. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in the extended cut.

There's also some clips from that scene shown in the second trailer of Gandalf running down a dark corridor and stopping before he falls off the ledge.

I'm still curious as to whether its the high fells or Dol Guldur that Radagast forgets how he got there. Well I guess we'll find out when the extended edition is released

[quote=""Lindir""]In the first Hobbit film, we saw Radagast save Sebastian by drawing out the dark power and storing it into the crystal from his staff. I'm wondering, could this have something to do with him turning up again at Dol Guldur, and also perhaps lead to his death if it is indeed going to go that way in the film? I hope he doesn't die though :'( [/quote]

Are you talking about Radagast or Sebastian dying? :huh: I understood you to mean Radagast and, if the Writers Three have put that into the story, they should be lynched, since (if I remember correctly) Gandalf is given crucial info by Radagast at one point in LOTR (the book). Either way, I'm with you; I hope neither dies. :thumbs_up

Given that movie continuity has proven very different from the books, and oftentimes contradictory even with itself, I wouldn't be surprised if Radagast dies as he does not appear in PJ's LOTR movies. Therefore, he is not beholden to carry the character forward, and it would help e xp lain internally why Radagast does not appear later to help (in PJ's LOTR.) Of course, this is all made up crap created to add more drama where it's not really needed since the story already has plenty of it. Still, they feel the need to tug at our heartstrings by bringing to life a loveable character, then killing him off just to show how great their daring writing skills are... not.

In reality, this is all speculation at this point, but I can see them steering things in that direction because that's just their craptacular inclination when they decide to invent sheer idiocy like this nonsense about High Fells and captured Nazgul.

Their attitude always seems to go something like:

PJ: "But that's not what Tolkien wrote!"

Boyens/Walsh: "Who cares! No one will know any better, and for the nerds that do, they can stuff it! We know how to write much better than Tolkien and this is so much cooler! The people will love it and adore us for our ingenuity! Gods, I wish I could go back in time, kill Tolkien, and write these books ourselves!!!"

:rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Given that movie continuity has proven very different from the books, and oftentimes contradictory even with itself, I wouldn't be surprised if Radagast dies as he does not appear in PJ's LOTR movies. Therefore, he is not beholden to carry the character forward, and it would help e xp lain internally why Radagast does not appear later to help (in PJ's LOTR.) Of course, this is all made up crap created to add more drama where it's not really needed since the story already has plenty of it. Still, they feel the need to tug at our heartstrings by bringing to life a loveable character, then killing him off just to show how great their daring writing skills are... not.

In reality, this is all speculation at this point, but I can see them steering things in that direction because that's just their craptacular inclination when they decide to invent sheer idiocy like this nonsense about High Fells and captured Nazgul.

Their attitude always seems to go something like:

Boyens/Walsh: "Who cares! No one will know any better, and for the nerds that do, they can stuff it! We know how to write much better than Tolkien and this is so much cooler! The people will love it and adore us for our ingenuity! Gods, I wish I could go back in time, kill Tolkien, and write these books ourselves!!!"

:rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: [/quote]

I'm with you, Val - it unfortunately wouldn't surprise me in the least if they decided to kill off Radagast. Among other things, I'm still not happy about how many characters were *taken care* of in PJ's version of LOTR...

I can only hope that since prominent characters (like Tom Bombadil) didn't appear in PJ's LOTR, he won't trouble to kill a bunch of them off in the Hobbit as a way to suddenly care about continuity within the films.

[quote=""Olorin""]The first one has made almost a billion dollars worldwide.[/quote]

...and got majorly snubbed at the Oscars, garnering almost no nominations and winning zero statues. I think Hollywood's worn out on PJ after the LOTR bonanza of a decade ago. Not only that, I think the overuse of CGI lowered the cinematic merits of the movie in the eyes of the Academy.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Given that movie continuity has proven very different from the books, and oftentimes contradictory even with itself.... Their attitude always seems to go something like:

Boyens/Walsh: "Who cares! No one will know any better, and for the nerds that do, they can stuff it! We know how to write much better than Tolkien and this is so much cooler! The people will love it and adore us for our ingenuity! Gods, I wish I could go back in time, kill Tolkien, and write these books ourselves!!!" :rolleye: [/quote]

gawd, that is funny! I'll bet you're not too far off the mark either.

TORN has the scoop on all the different video versions streeting later this month. It's not just the basic 3 we heard about before: Target, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart all have retailer-specific exclusives. Wal-Mart's sounds the best, but honestly, I think I'm just going to stick with my Amazon pre-order.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/03 ... xclusives/

Incidentally, the movie recently crossed the one billion dollars (US) threshold in theaters recently.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I love it how it says its a "World Wide Live Event" yet we can't get the code here in the UK because it doesn't come out until a month later :huh:

I think its the same for most of Europe as well, and I think New Zealand don't get it until May.

Sometimes Amazon orders are quick, other times not so much. It partly depends one whether you're an Amazon Prime member, where you pay $80 a year and get 2nd Day UPS on all orders. I'm not.

Another factor is whether a title is e xp ected to be a big seller. Things that are going to be big sellers are not supposed to be sold ahead of street date because that messes up the first-day sales statistics. How they translate not breaking street date with timing shipping, I don't know.

On another front, I just got the annotated edition of The Hobbit. I got it because I'd heard that it has a longer version of "The Quest of Erebor" from Unfinished Tales. And it does. But having read it now, I can't say how, or how much, it differs. I have not tried a side-by-side comparison yet.

I also got The Art of The Hobbit, Tolkien's original artwork and preliminary sketches for The Hobbit.

It may have something to do with Amazon prime membership. I am a member and have been for a couple of years now, I got 4 years of "student" pricing, because, well at the time I was a student, and I had a .edu email address. I really enjoy it and as much as I buy on Amazon, I think it was really really really worth it. Free 2-day shipping, plus the access to the Prime Video membership, I love it.

It's always kind of fun watching a movie you haven't seen in a long time and discovering someone in it that is now better known, due to a more recent movie. I just watched "Waking Ned Devine," a totally charming little comedy about a bunch of villagers in Ireland scheming on how to collect the lottery prize their neighbor won...and died when he realized he had the winning ticket. One of the secondary characters was guy called "Pig" Finn, the local pig farmer who always reeked of pigs. Turns out, he was James Nesbitt, who played Bofur in The Hobbit.

Ok I saw the live event and I cant wait for the second film. Thranduil looks really cool, and I love the design of Laketown. The high fells scene has been shifted into the next film.

[quote=""Olorin""]It's always kind of fun watching a movie you haven't seen in a long time and discovering someone in it that is now better known, due to a more recent movie. I just watched "Waking Ned Devine," a totally charming little comedy about a bunch of villagers in Ireland scheming on how to collect the lottery prize their neighbor won...and died when he realized he had the winning ticket. One of the secondary characters was guy called "Pig" Finn, the local pig farmer who always reeked of pigs. Turns out, he was James Nesbitt, who played Bofur in The Hobbit.[/quote]

I know what you mean. I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest a few weeks ago after not having watched it for at least 15 years, although I have read the book a couple of times in the interim.

So as I watched it recently something about "Billy Biibbit" kept nagging at the back of my mind, especially certain facial e xp ressions.
Then it jumped out at me: Grima Wormtongue!
But his voice has (naturally) changed over the years since that movie was made, so that didn't clue me in at all.

Here's an image of Tauriel. This was from the live preview event. I managed to see it as someone over on the blu-ray forum had received two codes and very kindly gave me the other one :)

I hope UC is busy working on those daggers :thumbs_up

There was some really good shots of Thranduil as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Lee Pace handles this character. Bard is certainly more e xp anded and so is the master of laketown but I'm really pleased PJ is fleshing out these characters.

There was some concept art for Mirkwood as well which looks really cool

Tauriel aiming her bow:

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Don't worry :)

There is lots of other interesting stuff in the preview if you watched it closely an paid attention to any scene with an Elf in it.[/quote]

The new shields look really cool. I'd like to see UC produce one of those. I like how the Mirkwood elves feel a lot more darker, and their weapons and designs seem to echo that as well.

Oh and Tauriel's bow. I really want that. What did you think of Laketown and Bard, Kit?

Return to “Tolkien”