Re: The Hobbit

What little I saw of Laketown looked interesting. That was actually the first I had seen it. We had seen Bard a while back here. I never really pictured the character much in my mind from reading the book, but I like the actor playing him and the look. He is just a sketch of a character in the book, so I'm looking forward to seeing someone more fleshed out in the film.

I love the elf shield and the spear design, but there is much more to be seen. Finally seeing Tauriel and some of the other Mirkwood soldiers in action was cool. We have been excited about that stuff for over a year, so it is cool that the public finally got a glimpse of the Woodland elves. If you looked closely, there was an elf wielding a sword in one of the wide shots. I don't mean Legolas with Orcrist.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]What little I saw of Laketown looked interesting. That was actually the first I had seen it. We had seen Bard a while back here. I never really pictured the character much in my mind from reading the book, but I like the actor playing him and the look. He is just a sketch of a character in the book, so I'm looking forward to seeing someone more fleshed out in the film.

I love the elf shield and the spear design, but there is much more to be seen. Finally seeing Tauriel and some of the other Mirkwood soldiers in action was cool. We have been excited about that stuff for over a year, so it is cool that the public finally got a glimpse of the Woodland elves. If you looked closely, there was an elf wielding a sword in one of the wide shots. I don't mean Legolas with Orcrist.[/quote]

I like how Laketown has a renaissance Italy type feel to it. The part we saw with them going through on the boat reminded me of Venice. I've never been by the way, but I've seen photos of it and its been featured in plenty of games and movies.

I agree on Bard, I'm glad he's getting e xp anded. I didn't notice the elf wielding a sword though. I noticed that legolas was swinging Thranduil's sword around, I guess that was just Orlando having a go of it though :P and then I spotted him with Orcrist.

UC should produce Thranduil's throne. I would buy that for my home
:coolsmile

"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Being in Australia, we didn't get access to the Preview as the DVD/Bluray has nod been released here yet. All I have managed to see are various screencaps floating around the web.

Does it look the same as the swords carried by the Royal Guard that accompanies Thranduil to Erebor?

[quote=""Lindir""]

UC should produce Thranduil's throne. I would buy that for my home
:coolsmile

[/quote]

I have to agree with that. Although I think I have to secure a copy of the Iron Throne first. They would actually make a pretty amazing pair.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

[quote=""RosereIII""]I have to agree with that. Although I think I have to secure a copy of the Iron Throne first. They would actually make a pretty amazing pair.[/quote]

Haha I was thinking exactly the same thing :thumbs_up

From what I can work out, I think that that is the hilt of a sword protruding from behind the shield towards Tauriel. It must be worn at the hip by the guard holding the shield. The hilt looks metallic, much as Thranduil's looks in the images we have seen already.

Though hard to work out and mostly concealed there is the side profile of the helm too.

[quote=""Jaymail""]

From what I can work out, I think that that is the hilt of a sword protruding from behind the shield towards Tauriel. It must be worn at the hip by the guard holding the shield. The hilt looks metallic, much as Thranduil's looks in the images we have seen already.

Though hard to work out and mostly concealed there is the side profile of the helm too.[/quote]

Yes I believe it is. I saw the scene recently on youtube where Thranduil and the elven guards are walking to Thror, and their sword handles looks like that.

Was this the sword you were talking about Kit?
Last edited by Lindir on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Nasnandos""]In the montage shown at the very end.[/quote]

The modified preview is up and the montage and High Fells scenes have been removed :(

At least I got another look at Tauriel and Thranduil though :thumbs_up
Last edited by Lindir on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Hobbit comes out over here in the UK tomorrow, so I'm pretty excited :D

I saw it 3 times in the cinema and will probably watch it at least another millions times on blu-ray. I had better buy two copies so I have a spare one for when I wear out the first :P

So, considering that there was supposed to be only 2 films and that they split it into 3 (unless that was always the plan) Where are pictures of Beorn? It seems like once the Hobbit came out, things are pretty lean on the info front. I can understand them wanting to concentrate on The Hobbit until it was released, but it's been released on DVD/Blu-ray , I want to see what's coming next :p

[quote=""Nasnandos""]That's Thorin's oaken shield prop too. What I'm wondering is, why are there Hobbit props in a storage building in Duchess County New York?[/quote]

Good question. It is too early for an exhibit to be getting set up somewhere, and these are not UC's props or Kit would know about this. Is it possible they belong to Noble Collection?

Also, like the guy who commented below on the article, there is no way those two swords are worth $150k each. Even Peter Lyon's MSSC swords don't come close to that price. Where did they get those figures from?!?

Oh well, at least we know what Fin's mom was up to: she was going to give him that stuff for a grad present this weekend. :crazy:
This Space for Rent

On another note; just for the sake of doing so, I watched the Hobbit prolog to An Une xp ected Journey up to the point where Bilbo sits on his bench and blows his smoke ring. Then I popped in FOTR EE and started that on the second chapter 'The Shire' where Frodo is seen sitting at the tree.
The continuity of the two are quite perfect & flow beautifully together.
Give it a look, makes for a fresh start to LOTR.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

:jaw:

The place she's standing in looks like the area where the Dwarves and Bilbo escape via the barrels

KIT! Tell UC to get that quiver made! :P
Last edited by Lindir on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Those Mirkwood soldier quivers are stunning, but I would be happy just getting that bow and arrow made. The props are fantastic. I got to string and pull one of those bows. They don't have much force, just enough to look functional for the screen, but they actually work.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Those Mirkwood soldier quivers are stunning, but I would be happy just getting that bow and arrow made. The props are fantastic. I got to string and pull one of those bows. They don't have much force, just enough to look functional for the screen, but they actually work.[/quote]

Her bow looks really cool. Fingers crossed things go well enough for UC to produce a replica :thumbs_up . I'm starting to get excited for the movie. I hope we get a trailer soon.

I like the heads on her arrows, they kinda look like a dragons tail. Her bow has a metalic look to it, but that could of course be the sun reflecting against it. It may very well be a green wood. So, my want list:

Tauriel's daggers
Tauriel's quiver
Tauriel's bow
Tauriel's arrows
Tauriel

:P

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Those Mirkwood soldier quivers are stunning, but I would be happy just getting that bow and arrow made. The props are fantastic. I got to string and pull one of those bows. They don't have much force, just enough to look functional for the screen, but they actually work.[/quote]

She's using a horsebow, even tho' the siyahs have been a bit "elven-ized" ....a real one has quite a lot of power over a 28" draw...wonder who had the idea of giving her [character] that type of bow.....

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

It looks like it is a standard Mirkwood soldier bow based on what was shown in the sneak preview. Not every bow called a horse bow has straightened tips, but it does have the look of some of those hungarian bows with a similar profile. It is hard to tell from this angle, but there is a lot more going on to the shape that makes this very different though. You really need to see it from the front and side.

The first time I saw the designs, I thought they looked too sci-fi, but seeing them on screen and in person, they look very much in the Elvish style of PJ's Middle-earth. It looks plain weird when uncompressed, but when strung it is a thing of beauty.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

A bit more about that photo besides comments on the bow:

EW has posted the first photo of actress Evangeline Lilly as Tauriel in "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug". The "Lost" actress has also spoken a bit about how the character fits into the saga:
Tauriel is the head of the Elven Guard. She’s a Sylvan Elf, which means she’s of a much lower order than the elves we all became acquainted with in The Lord of the Rings. She doesn’t hold the same kind of status that Arwen or Galadriel or Elrond or Legolas do — she’s much more lowly. She sort of goes against the social order of the elves a little bit.
Tauriel’s relationship with Legolas is significant. They’ve known each other since they were children, and Legolas’ dad, [Elven king] Thrandruil, has a soft spot for Tauriel and sees something very special in her. So if you grow up side by side, and your dad has a very special spot in his heart for this young woman who’s a fantastic warrior, I think it’s hard not to notice her. That’s probably as much as I can say.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Nasnandos""]It looks like it is a standard Mirkwood soldier bow based on what was shown in the sneak preview. Not every bow called a horse bow has straightened tips, but it does have the look of some of those hungarian bows with a similar profile. It is hard to tell from this angle, but there is a lot more going on to the shape that makes this very different though. You really need to see it from the front and side.

The first time I saw the designs, I thought they looked too sci-fi, but seeing them on screen and in person, they look very much in the Elvish style of PJ's Middle-earth. It looks plain weird when uncompressed, but when strung it is a thing of beauty.[/quote]

I still think it's elven-ized horsebow....I'll bet it's not 50 inches tip-to-tip when strung--her bow...Not talking about the male Mirkwood elves' bows.
And have you seen a mongolian or Hungarian horsebow when not strung? Talk about weirdly shaped....bizarre.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Tauriel is the head of the Elven Guard. She’s a Sylvan Elf, which means she’s of a much lower order than the elves we all became acquainted with in The Lord of the Rings. She doesn’t hold the same kind of status that Arwen or Galadriel or Elrond or Legolas do — she’s much more lowly. She sort of goes against the social order of the elves a little bit.
Tauriel’s relationship with Legolas is significant. They’ve known each other since they were children, and Legolas’ dad, [Elven king] Thrandruil, has a soft spot for Tauriel and sees something very special in her. So if you grow up side by side, and your dad has a very special spot in his heart for this young woman who’s a fantastic warrior, I think it’s hard not to notice her. That’s probably as much as I can say.
[/quote]

Sooooooooooo.....

No comments on what you think of this invented storyline? ;)
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""Olorin""]Sooooooooooo.....

No comments on what you think of this invented storyline? ;) [/quote]

Uhhh...I though this was a family-friendly forum, yes?

Sooooooo.... I cannot say what I think about the invented storyline unless I'm looking to get banned for life.

No...I'll say this: it's a variation on making Arwen the "warrior elven princess".

Not only that ... HA!!! Everyone thought that we scored big and were heard by PJ et al with our blogging about so very wrong it was to have Arwen at Helm's Deep.

Well, PJ got his revenge for that "concession" by giving us "The Adventures of Tauriel and Legolas".

Pardon me while I cough up a hairball....

I think I will wait and see how it turns out. I think its a bit of a different situation with Tauriel as opposed to Arwen at Helm's Deep. We can probably safely say Arwen was NOT at Helms Deep... but just because Tauriel was not written, doesn't mean there couldn't have been a female elven warrior during this time. There were obviously other people, men, elves, dwarves, hobbits, etc etc than the ones specifically mentioned in the books.

Although, I might be influenced by the beautiful Tauriel tho. :)

[quote=""BladeCollector""]... I think its a bit of a different situation with Tauriel as opposed to Arwen at Helm's Deep. We can probably safely say Arwen was NOT at Helms Deep... but just because Tauriel was not written, doesn't mean there couldn't have been a female elven warrior during this time....[/quote]

OK, that is fair enough to say...you are right that we have no way of knowing every single person/elf/dwarf who was there.

Still, that "history" with Dad Thranduil.....how 'bout I just cough up a smaller hairball? ;)

If you're hoping for one of my infamous vitriol-filled rants, I'm going to disappoint you. :P

I've made my peace with this part of the movies before, and my position has not changed. I'm somewhere between what BC said and what Deimos said.

It is perfectly plausible that an elf like Tauriel existed. It is just as plausible that such an elf was the head of the Elven Guard. It is even possible that elf had an interest in Legolas, which certainly seems to be where this is leading. It seems rather transparent at this point that PB and FW couldn't stand the fact that there was not a single female character in this book, so Tauriel had to be created to appease the sensibilities of movie critics, and also to provide some eye-candy for the predominantly male crowd that is going to see these movies. It could easily be argued that no self-respecting elf hunk like Legolas could possibly be around for long without attracting some kind of romantic attention, so it's Tauriel to the rescue. No problem, I say.

How does this Thranduil angle factor in? Well, my fear is that it could get to be a little too soap-opera-ish, with daddy liking the girl with the inner fire and the rebellious spirit, but still feeling she's not good enough for his princely son due to her lowborn Silvan roots. That's just cheesy romance drama, but it's unfortunately not above these writers to throw it in because they think it adds dimension to the Wood-realm. Another (though admittedly remote) possibility is that Thranduil wants Tauriel for himself - remember these are elves and age means nothing after the first couple hundred years. There's no telling how old Tauriel is and Thranduil still looks very vital. We also have no clue if Legolas' mother is still around. At any rate, my point is they could go the love triangle route, though since there is a father and son involved, that could be too risque.

My money is on Tauriel being Legolas' love interest, but her independent warrior qualities are sure to be a source of trouble for the couple. Cliche, but workable, so long as the drama doesn't eat up too much screen time.

All this is infinitely better than the Itaril concept, where the younger actress/elf was sure to have been some infinitely annoying child prodigy that Thranduil no doubt doted on and Legolas had to waste his time protecting, or something stupid like that. For that alone, I am eternally grateful that Tauriel was created instead.

A lot seems to be getting made of the fact that Silvan elves are of a "lower order." While this is true to an extent, again I hope it doesn't evolve into some sort of huge social issue in Thranduil's court. While an interesting e xp loration, there's just no time in these movies for things like that, so if it's there, keep it brief please. There's more than enough action and tension elsewhere in this story without subplots about oppressed Silvan elves and their tyrannical Sindarin rulers. :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

I read on theonering.net that Kili was her love interest as they both have archery as an interest.

Here is the quote:

Although Evagaline Lilly is staying mum on who the romance is, it’s been previously hinted at by Aidan Turner in Total Film late last year. Personally, I suggest a “meeting of minds” type of romance revolving around the duo’s shared interest in archery culminating in a very tragic ending at BOFA. Any romance with Legolas has been categorically ruled out by Peter Jackson himself. So no need to get worked up there.

But we’ll see.

Ugh.

Definitely not the path I would have taken with this. It's not so much the fact that they are a different race, I mean Tolkien did open the door with Gimli's infatuation for Galadriel, but such things were extremely rare and should remain so. Not only that, where is the time and opportunity to develop such a situation? The dwarves are captured and promptly and unceremoniously dumped into the dungeon without much fanfare. They quickly escape, sparking a hatred between dwarves and wood-elves that fits in neatly with the past history of the two races, and lasts well into the time of the War of the Ring.

I can see this scenario going something like this:

Tauriel and Kili are attracted to one another because they are both archers, he's ruggedly handsome (for a dwarf,) and it is her detachment of guards that captures the dwarves out in the forest. However, she is so taken by the Kili and his skill that she speaks out on their behalf against Thranduil's cold decision. Even though Thranduil loves her like a daughter, he cannot stand the thought of her being sympathetic to the dwarves, whom he hates, much less the fact that she is falling in love with one of them. This probably prompts him to be even more cruel to them. Later on, Tauriel goes against her king's orders, drugs the wine of the elven turn-key (the butler in the book,) and helps Kili and the whole lot of them escape. Then at the end, she has a last fateful and tragic meeting with her would-be love at the Battle (cue tear-jerking scene and sad music.)

I'm probably wrong on a few things there, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see something very similar happening on the screen. Feels pretty needless and a waste of time, to be honest. Just a plot device to create tension and drama during the Mirkwood scenes where the dwarves are imprisoned and I'm not really sure where they're going to get the time to give this much attention and not make it feel tacked on at the last minute.

Poor Legolas, doomed to be a loner. :(
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Poor Legolas, doomed to be a loner. :( [/quote]

Not quite...he DOES have Gimli...Quite the Bromance.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

[quote=""Valkrist""]If you're hoping for one of my infamous vitriol-filled rants, I'm going to disappoint you. :P [/quote]

Losing your edge in your contented domestic bliss, eh? ;)

[quote=""Valkrist""]It is perfectly plausible that an elf like Tauriel existed. It is just as plausible that such an elf was the head of the Elven Guard. It is even possible that elf had an interest in Legolas, which certainly seems to be where this is leading. It seems rather transparent at this point that PB and FW couldn't stand the fact that there was not a single female character in this book, so Tauriel had to be created to appease the sensibilities of movie critics, and also to provide some eye-candy for the predominantly male crowd that is going to see these movies. It could easily be argued that no self-respecting elf hunk like Legolas could possibly be around for long without attracting some kind of romantic attention, so it's Tauriel to the rescue. No problem, I say.[/quote]

That's all true enough, up to a point. I just hope it isn't too contrived.

[quote=""Valkrist""]How does this Thranduil angle factor in? Well, my fear is that it could get to be a little too soap-opera-ish, with daddy liking the girl with the inner fire and the rebellious spirit, but still feeling she's not good enough for his princely son due to her lowborn Silvan roots. That's just cheesy romance drama, but it's unfortunately not above these writers to throw it in because they think it adds dimension to the Wood-realm. Another (though admittedly remote) possibility is that Thranduil wants Tauriel for himself - remember these are elves and age means nothing after the first couple hundred years. There's no telling how old Tauriel is and Thranduil still looks very vital. We also have no clue if Legolas' mother is still around. At any rate, my point is they could go the love triangle route, though since there is a father and son involved, that could be too risque.

My money is on Tauriel being Legolas' love interest, but her independent warrior qualities are sure to be a source of trouble for the couple. Cliche, but workable, so long as the drama doesn't eat up too much screen time.[/quote]

Again, I just hope they don't make it too contrived. And if there is a love triangle, it will be too contrived. I think a father/son/girl triangle has worked once in movies, to hysterical effect: the Indy/Henry Sr/Elsa Schneider triangle in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Henry Sr: "I'm just as human as the next man."
Indy: "I was the next man."

Classic! But I don't want to see that in The Hobbit....

[quote=""Valkrist""]A lot seems to be getting made of the fact that Silvan elves are of a "lower order." While this is true to an extent, again I hope it doesn't evolve into some sort of huge social issue in Thranduil's court. While an interesting e xp loration, there's just no time in these movies for things like that, so if it's there, keep it brief please. There's more than enough action and tension elsewhere in this story without subplots about oppressed Silvan elves and their tyrannical Sindarin rulers. :rolleye: [/quote]

To the extent that they are pointing out there were different classes or ethnic groups among the Elves, I'm good with that. I just don't have the faith they can do it without screwing it up. Subtlety is not their strong suit.

[quote=""N2darkness""]I read on theonering.net that Kili was her love interest as they both have archery as an interest.

Here is the quote:

Although Evagaline Lilly is staying mum on who the romance is, it’s been previously hinted at by Aidan Turner in Total Film late last year. Personally, I suggest a “meeting of minds” type of romance revolving around the duo’s shared interest in archery culminating in a very tragic ending at BOFA. Any romance with Legolas has been categorically ruled out by Peter Jackson himself. So no need to get worked up there.

But we’ll see.[/quote]

Tauriel/Kili? The very essence of contrivance. And let's see, what would the pop culture nitwits who coin combined names for celebrity couples (like "Brangelina" for Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie) call this couple? Taurieli? Kauriel? Ugh.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Definitely not the path I would have taken with this. It's not so much the fact that they are a different race, I mean Tolkien did open the door with Gimli's infatuation for Galadriel, but such things were extremely rare and should remain so. [/quote]

An Elf/Dwarf friendship is one thing, but I found it very hard to imagine an Elf/Dwarf romance. And I think Gimli's esteem for Galadriel was purely non-sexual. Yes, he fawned over her beauty, but there was never any hint of a romantic element. It was the same as someone gushing over the beauty of a city, or a cat, or a work of art.

Or perhaps my opinion is simply colored by knowing Tolkien's views on relationships, from having read his Letters book. He was probably more conservative than the Pope! An Elf/Human romance is one thing, but I bet Tolkien would have held an Elf/Dwarf romance tantamount to bestiality.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Not only that, where is the time and opportunity to develop such a situation? [/quote]

That's true, if the writers stick closely to the story. And we know how closely they stick to the story, particularly when it gets in the way of the story they want to tell, instead of the one Tolkien wrote.

[quote=""polyphemus""]Hopefully, Tauriel will be worked into the plot without too much contrivance.[/quote]

Oh, the charm of innocent faith! ;)
Last edited by Olorin on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I'm on the same page as Val here. I like that they're incorporating the idea that Elves aren't all incredibly high ranking and powerful, I just don't want this class difference love story to get out of hand. Quite frankly I don't trust the writers to keep it from going too far away from what Tolkien envisioned...I guess we'll have to wait and see.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Also really starting to look a lot like a Hollywood action flick...
MC Sting, MC Samwise, MC Glamdring with scabbard, Sting and Scabbard, Legolas Knives and Scabbards, Hadhafang Sword of Arwen, Gondor Shield, Gimli Battle Axe, Gimli Bearded Axe, Gimli Walking Axe, Witchking Sword, Sword of the Ringwraiths, Witchking Dagger, Uruk Hai Scimitar

1:06 = white scabbards. :P

Sorry, now that I've got that out of the way...

Yeah, looks really good. The scenery looks fantastic...Dale, Erebor, Thranduil's Halls, it all looks so good. Weapons and armor look awesome. My only concern is that Tauriel is starting to sound awfully cheesy: "This is our fight". Sounds to me like "I'm the sexy, self-righteous independent woman character who will be enthusiastic and courageous when the men falter." Ah well, haven't seen enough to judge. I'm sure she's going to kick a lot of ***, so I'll warm up to her. :D I'm also a little confused as to why the dwarves are fighting out of their barrels. Goblin chase?
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Yeah, the whole "this is not our fight" - "yes, this is our fight" lines are so overused that they lost any emotional impact about twenty movies ago. It also uncovers some of what we wondered about Tauriel in recent posts: the nature of her relationship with Thranduil. The elven king hates the dwarves, and the spunky captain of the guard has fallen in love with one of them. He wants them to die, she wants to save them. They have a falling out and she disobeys orders. Legolas probably follows her, and faced with possibly losing two people he loves (and wanting a share of the dragon's hoard as an added incentive,) Thranduil will bring his elves into the battle.
This Space for Rent

Return to “Tolkien”