Re: The Hobbit

I haven't heard anything more about The Hobbit, and I doubt we will for a couple of years. PJ's wrapping up Kong right now, then he's diving into The Lovely Bones. The biggest stumbling block remains Sony and Time-Warner coming to some sort of deal. It's all a matter of money....
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I know that PJ's gonna make the Hobbit eventually. It would be one of the biggest financial flaws he's ever made if he doesn't, I think he should have made it right after The Return of the King.
 ! Warning
The signature picture extension is not installed.

^ pianos? lol. Anyways, when PJ had the rights to make LOTR, did that include the rights to make the Hobbit as well? Oh well, it will be made by PJ someday is what I'm saying. I have a secretive source of inside information . . . i wish :o .
 ! Warning

defyitall wrote:hey, lets not start in on an SW theme here. there's a SW thread in the Off-Topic forum for that.

About the Hobbit, I'll say what I've been saying since I got here:

5-10 years until we see it in theaters.

I'll second both of those!

For those of you hoping against hope that a Hobbit movie will be made soon enough for Sir Ian Holm to play Bilbo, it appears increasingly unlikely. He's just bowed out of playing Pope John Paul II in a miniseries, due to "personal reasons." The article doesn't get more specific than that, but when somebody's in his mid-70s and has had cancer, health concerns tend to spring to mind. Read the article here:

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/accent/88422.php

I still think he can be Bilbo. He may have opted out of playing the pope in that mini-series, but it said for "personal reasons", not "health reasons". The personal reasons could be health related of course, but they could just as easily not be.
He's been in a few films since LOTR, such as The Aviator, The Day after Tomorrow. He's also just finished filming The Lord of War, and has been cast in two more films so far for 2006. His career isn't over yet, so I wouldn't count him out yet either.
He may be 74, but a stunt double would be doing most of his scenes in The Hobbit anyway, and they could easily make him look like his does in FOTR again for the close-ups. I think it's perfectly plausible for him to still play Bilbo, as long as it goes into production within the next few years.
Look at Christopher Lee, his career is flourishing and he's a decade older than Ian Holm ;)

Remember that Christopher Lee's and Ian Holm's parts in LOTR were little more than glorified walk-ons. OK, Lee's was a little more than that, but in the great sweep of things, he's not on screen that much. In a Hobbit movie, whoever's playing Bilbo is going to be onscreen almost 100% of the time. That's a lot more tiring--you have to be there every day, all day. They can't just shoot all your scenes in 2 days, and then spend 60 days shooting other things. However long the shoot is, that's how long you're involved.

Rest assured, that when and if PJ makes The Hobbit, it won't included IH as Bilbo. This is unfortunate, since he was perfect in LOTR, but totally understandable.

How about some speculation of who else might play him? Ewan McGregor?

lol Jack Black? I don't think PJ's that stupid, even though hes the main character in King Kong...:rolleyes:

I don't know if Ewan McGregor would really fit into Bilbo's shoes if you get my drift... What about Billy Boyd? May sound crazy yes, but with some good effects crews, anything's possible.
 ! Warning

I don't think we have to worry about the role of Gandalf being recast unless this movie takes 15 years to get made.

Jack Black as Bilbo---if nothing else, he does have the right build for it.

What about that Mr. Bean guy? Rowan Atkinson, isn't that his name? I've never actually seen him in anything, but he's pretty well regarded. I'm just at a loss to think of middle-aged British actors that could pull off the comedic aspect of Bilbo--like Ian Holm did so effortlessly.

I'm sure, tho, that PJ will surprise and delight us all when it comes to the casting of Bilbo, picking somebody not so well known who is nonetheless perfect for the part.

Return to “Tolkien”